Honeycomb
    Tegra
    1G RAM
    1280x800
    two camera
    hdmi

$400.

XOOM is done, now what would HPALM do?
    Hit $399. And $99 coupon when you buy an hp laptop.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    wow, I guess the price war is here. Any tablet, wifi only and 16gig, more than $400 will be DOA, except ipad I guess.
    How much for the data version?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13
    Settle down. This is no threat to HP. It is only a threat to those actively engaged in the race to the bottom. There are no winners, there.
    How in anyway is this not a threat to HP? Asus makes quality products.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    HP has one thing other competitors don't and that's webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    I've seen Asus gaming PCs that aren't so cheap. Cheaper than MacBook Pro, but not cheap for PC. I'm thinking of getting one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    wow, I guess the price war is here. Any tablet, wifi only and 16gig, more than $400 will be DOA, except ipad I guess.
    To take on the established market leader you need to beat the iPad 2 at an original iPad price ($399).

Motorola did not get the memo. Asus did.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I actually agree with milo. Plus, there is essentially no risk of commonditization, Edit I mean commoditization.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 04/05/2011 at 01:38 AM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Asus and HP both make cheap PCs. In that arena, they are competitive. The iPad is a premium pad, which is what the TouchPad is challenging. I don't see the Asus eee branded pad in that category. This is one lesson HP should learn from Apple. Don't even acknowledge the products in the bargain bin. The last thing you want to do is start compromising your product and brand to compete at the bottom. Ignore it and move on, as will the market you are going after.
    "There's a 10.1-inch IPS 1280x800 resolution display, 1GHz dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor and one gig of RAM"

So let me see: A larger display with higher resolution and double the RAM.
    Not very "bargin bin" if you ask me.

Sell these in walmart and target and this will be the number one android tablet sold.

We will have to see what the touchpad price and battery life will be like but if this tablet hits $400 IT IS DEFIANTLY a threat to HP.

This will be a crap gadget undifferentiated from a mountain of other crap gadgets... This is no threat to HP.
    You call it a crapgadget even though the specs are right there or better than HP's?
    That is not the battle HP should be worried about.
    True but that doesn't mean they are "no threat" If fact they are more of a threat.

Asus's tablet basically turns into a laptop, got to admit that kinda cool.

12.    #12  
    Look at xoom, and you know how far $699 can take you, hint: not very far.

Spec differences are small among all these things, $300 extra will kill it out right. Webos is good, but has no chance to overcome a $300 price gap.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Who said anything about the TouchPad being $300 more, as far as i know it will be $499
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Who said anything about the TouchPad being $300 more, as far as i know it will be $499
    Okay, $100 price gap. Is that too big for webos to overcome or not?

With galaxy tab wifi being $350, its clear android tabs gonna being at least $100 cheaper when touchpad reaches the market.

I dont see bright future for touchpad at $500.
    The old Tab is 7" though, so $350 is fine. But at 9.7"(same as iPad, right?) $500 is OK depending on what the details are. So if they really are redesigning it, let's see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    To take on the established market leader you need to beat the iPad 2 at an original iPad price ($399).

Motorola did not get the memo. Asus did.
    To be fair, Motorola's tablet has good specs and deserves more than $400. Though what they could have done was sell the wifi at $500 instead of $600. 32GB vs 16GB, plus expansion once they get that fixed , isn't a bad deal. And they could have been more flexible with the data version since it wasn't ready. The problem lies in their execution of the release and belief that people will pay much more for something not ready and locked down to a carrier. I don't know why they would think that!!

You can't really expect everyone to go super low to beat Apple. They have to make some type of return. First thing they need to do, drop the carrier activation requirements.

17.    #17  
    "deserve $500" means you accept ipad "deserve" its price, which I think is a false assumption.

I think apple is mostly selling its brand, so called apple tax, I dont think motorola or hp can follow apple on price without its fan-base.

After all, a 10" tab is just marginally more portable than a 11" notebook, with much less functions, those notebooks are selling for 400-500.
    Well I wish the data versions weren't so much more. That extra $130 plus tax bites when you're not rolling in dough and the local sales tax is price gouging. Though the online tax is often the flat state rate. Also it'd be nice to get 32GB at $500. The iPad is pretty solid though and is Apple item that isn't so high priced you then need to start weighing your options.

But remember, tablets used to be very expensive. They were full computers in tablet form, however they never caught on. Seems the market does want a watered down laptop for portable purposes, like it or not. I'm going to guess that eventually we will return to the full computer in tablet form and this time the market will accept them because the current versions do indeed need more to get people to entirely throw out their laptops, depending on what they do. Strange huh?

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

After all, a 10" tab is just marginally more portable than a 11" notebook, with much less functions, those notebooks are selling for 400-500.
    I'd have to disagree with that. A 10" tablet is significantly more portable than an 11" notebook.

there's two kinds of portable here. Portable when you want to pack it in a bag and travel some where with it (in which case the tablet is slightly better like you suggest.) Then there is portable when you want to use it throughout the house, etc. There, a tablet is *much* more flexible.

In any case, these tablets are what I consider "discresionary" anyway. Cost is relative. Get the one at the price point you can justify.

That said, assuming the eeepc build quality is anything this side of "falling apart the moment you try to pick it up" I think the touchpad will have pressure from it.

-Suntan
    Id definitely be all over this tablet, if it was running webOS.

Asus makes great products. Too bad they can't use webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast