(Engadget)

None of this "Announce in Winter that you'll release in the Summer"

• Announce it
    • People get excited
    • Release it soon after
    • People buy
    • Win

Everyone wins. Except HP in this case.
    This is a leak, not a press release announcement. If true, the new phone is being released in Russia, not the US.

Are you saying that the best way to announce a phone is to leak it and introduce it in Russia?
    lol
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    grab the fire extinguisher
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This is a leak, not a press release announcement. If true, the new phone is being released in Russia, not the US.

Are you saying that the best way to announce a phone is to leak it and introduce it in Russia?
    I think he was saying that there won't be a 3-6 mo delay from announcement to release. True, it's a leak, but the leak has been confirmed. True, it's being released in Russia, but the point is that it's being released. The leak and the confirmation were about releasing it in Russia, and the confirmation shows that the release will come within a month, probably less. That's the point.
    We all know what happened to the hype during the first pre launch. Hell, I went out and bought a bunch of Palm stock based on its announcement, expecting it to double. (Got a bit more though =). After 6 months, the hype had dwindled. The pre 3 has nowhere near the hype, and they're still waiting a long time between announcement and release. Same with the veer and the TP. We were told that announcements would no longer be made without products ready to go. Then they announced products that were not only not ready to go, but were also without a finished OS.
    I've been up for a new phone since last June, and have been patiently waiting for a new webOS device on Sprint. I can wait until they announce the pre 3 on Sprint, which they WILL do, YOU HEAR ME HP AND SPRINT!?! Still, if summer comes and I don't have the option, I can move on. I'll just wait for the next announcement and upgrade 6 months later when the new device is actually released.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Even though I was having fun, I agree. The OP's point was the time between announcement and product availability.

This is something HP has no concept of but then again, the only people really watching the timeline are WebOS phanatics, most people don't even know new phones are coming out - and likely don't care.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    This is something HP has no concept of but then again, the only people really watching the timeline are WebOS phanatics, most people don't even know new phones are coming out - and likely don't care.
    Exactly. The amount of time between announcement and release is irrelevant (unless you're Apple). What really matters is an aggressive advertising campaign, starting a short time before release. HP is starting to advertise the Veer, and if we see a good deal of advertising right before the Veer is released in May, it will have a chance.