Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the first time in my life, I'm actually considering an Android phone (EVO 3D) as my next phone! I'm all about WebOS but this new phone is quite powerful and sexy. My original Pre minus is feeling quite outdated these days. I'm trying to hold on until the Pre 3 is released. In fact, I'd love to see what HP is going to do around creating a WebOS ecosystem (phone, tablet & desktop). It sounds like the EVO 3D won't be available until the summer so maybe the Pre 3 and the EVO 3D will be released around the same time and I will be able to compare them side-by-side. I hope the Pre 3 will be released on Sprint since no carrier declaration has been made yet.
    Ahh... decisions... decisions... decisions!

What choice do you think you will make?
    Last edited by sjamie; 03/29/2011 at 11:11 PM.
    I'm now leaning heavily toward the Sprint Nexus S 4G so I won't lose my Gold benefits - even if Sprint gets the Pre3. It will be an interesting Spring/Summer. Hopefully my Pre minus lasts that long. BTW, did I read somewhere that HP will include WebOS in all their desktops (dual OS option)?
    I'm losing my webOs flame, I don't feel supported whatsoever to stay with Sprint. I hate that for the first time in my life I may be considering an iPhone all because Sprint refuses to pick up the ball on the Pre3 and previous models before it.
    Honestly, people just need to go out and get a phone based on what they like, not based on what they think they will like given certain hypotheticals.

Waiting for Sprint to make your webOS dreams come true is going to take a while.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I just picked up a 2 month old VZW Pre+, touchstone, wall plug and Palm USB cord for $80 on Craig's List, plussed my Pre and updated to 2.1. That's what I've done to tide me over. I'm down to wait til summer. If the Pre 3 comes I'll pick one up and if it doesn't I'm also leaning toward Nexus S 4G. Although I'd DEFINITELY play with the EVO 3D while I was there and see if it wowed me.

For now I'm gonna wait it out til those three phones are launched and maybe give the homebrew geniuses a chance to bust some hardware hackery on the Pre 3, though that looks a little unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromeo View Post
    $80? Wow.

I might be missing something here so forgive me if I'm mistaken but the Touchstones on Verizon's website are $15 with free shipping.

And the cable & wall charger are a whopping $5 at Amazon.

(I'd link to them but I'm unable to provide linkage until I reach 10 posts)

$15 + $5 = $20
    $20 <<< $80 (not to mention you bought used?)

?
    I think you may have missed the part about a Pre+ being a part of the purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I think you may have missed the part about a Pre+ being a part of the purchase.
    Ah, thank you. Read it as 'Pre+ touchstone.' Deleted the post, nothing to see here...
    I'll happily soldier on using my Pre+... ...until the day that the Droid Bonic releases on Verizon.

-Suntan
    (you know it isn't butter, don't you?........don't you????)
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/29/2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: forgot closing parantheses
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    You need to get aphone that fits your needs and not worry about what OS it is. if you like the news Android or Iphone thats thats what you get. I have an android now and if the next Iphone appeals to me then thats what i will get. ALways base your purchase on what you need not. Always find it silly to say "I will only use a Iphone etc".
    If Sprint is going to charge me $10 extra for data, I may as well get a 4G phone and if the Pre 3 isn't a) on Sprint and b) 4G, then it's Evo 3D or Nexus S for me.
    I'll miss Web OS but I'm sure Android will be OK.
    i just moved to a epic 4g when y pre's touchscreen crapped out. i cant say i love it. but i do like it. i've had a number of 'force close' and failure to start errors... more frequently than i've ever gotten tmc errors. i also find the multitasking solution to be problemmatic for me because i'm never really sure what state an app is going to be in when i return to it (if android doesnt close it for me before i get back to it). i also find the amount of menus i have to go through to get things done a little annoying.

it is nice however to have 'dependable' hardware. i put the quotes there because while the build quality feels solid, i've been having trouble with the backbutton activating itself. thats a pain in the neck whenever it comes out.

other than those issues though, its been a great phone so far. the firefox browser i really nice, and apps (usually) load up immediately. if the pre3 does end up on sprint i'll probably switch to it and sell this, but in the mean time it'll do just fine.
    Just registered at Android Central, just another step closer to saying bye bye Pre. Please HP, make the Pre 3 a 4G device to make my decision tougher.
  14.    #14  
    I'm very surprised that the Pre 3 will not be 4G. HPalm keeps waiting so long to release phones that by the time they are available, their technology has already aged. Maybe HPalm will add some unnanounced goodies to the final version of the Pre 3 (ie. Front facing camera, 4G, dual core processor, SD card, etc.). It's okay to dream, right?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Just registered at Android Central, just another step closer to saying bye bye Pre. Please HP, make the Pre 3 a 4G device to make my decision tougher.
    HA! I did the same thing earlier this week! Like you, I'm on HPalm's team hoping they win the game.
    I have been on my Evo for 2 months now. It was good stock, easily better than my Pre. Rooted and ROMmed, it's amazing. I slightly miss cards, but not enough to ever go back to WebOS.

I don't get the Android dislike I see on here at times. The Evo just is everything the Pre never was.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    I have been on my Evo for 2 months now. It was good stock, easily better than my Pre. Rooted and ROMmed, it's amazing. I slightly miss cards, but not enough to ever go back to WebOS.

I don't get the Android dislike I see on here at times. The Evo just is everything the Pre never was.
    What do you like about the EVO over the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Maybe HPalm will add some unnanounced goodies to the final version of the Pre 3 (ie. Front facing camera, 4G, dual core processor, SD card, etc.). It's okay to dream, right?
    Pre3 already has a FF camera.. It will more than likely have the 4 G's and the wifi's.. Dual core not hapening and SD cards (as far as Apple, HP and MSFT are concerned) have gone the way of the poodle.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    I'm very surprised that the Pre 3 will not be 4G. HPalm keeps waiting so long to release phones that by the time they are available, their technology has already aged. Maybe HPalm will add some unnanounced goodies to the final version of the Pre 3 (ie. Front facing camera, 4G, dual core processor, SD card, etc.). It's okay to dream, right?
    the Pre3 already has a front facing camera. Also, from what I'm hearing, the Pre 3s 1.4Ghz single core CPU will probably run faster than the 1.2Ghz dual cores for 90% of the stuff you do on your phone. Especially since none of the mobile operating systems have really been fully optimized for dual core yet.

4G would be nice, but it sounds like there's no chance it's happening on the Pre 3. My major gripe (besides lack of 4g) is the lack of either a micro-sd option or at least more built in memory. 16gigs is a joke.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Also ditching webOS, but hopefully it will be temporary. My Pre's USB door crack is right at the edge of my screen and the headphone jack doesn't work, and without a legit webOS option on Sprint, I'm either going Evo or Nexus S (assuming it's released within the next month). Since I purchased a Pre on launch day, today is officially my upgrade day (22 months), so I'm moving on.

When/if the Pre3 comes to Sprint I'll re-evaluate the situation, but I'm thinking there may be better webOS options next year (if the OS hasn't been retired by then), so I'll give Android a shot and see what happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast