Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    police have sent letters to both apple and google to stop with DUI avoidance apps. Officers say these apps are causing more death to drunks and innocent people. Make you wonder what apps are going to far...
    So do you think they should stop? Personally, i don't. What will they stop next?

Besides, if someone is drunk, i can just imagine them fooling with a dui app while driving..
  3.    #3  
    not my call to say they should stop but cops are saying that the apps ARE causing more deaths by dui because they are able to avoid check points. I mean if I had a love one killed or injured by a drunk driver that avoided a check point cuz of an app, I wouldn't be happy.... (understatement)
    Quote Originally Posted by balla2g2 View Post
    not my call to say they should stop but cops are saying that the apps ARE causing more deaths by dui because they are able to avoid check points. I mean if I had a love one killed or injured by a drunk driver that avoided a check point cuz of an app, I wouldn't be happy.... (understatement)
    X1
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    no
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 03/29/2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by balla2g2 View Post
    Of course thats what they are going to say. They also say MArijuana is a harmful drug. You need to learn to decipher cop-talk. It is very similar to politician talk (notice how close the words politician and police are).

"You are causing more deaths" really means "You are hurting a valuable revenue stream of ours. If you dont stop, we will have to find a new way to get this money from the citizens we 'protect.'"

Besides, isnt this the same thing as me calling all of my buddies when I see a DUI checkpoint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Of course thats what they are going to say. They also say MArijuana is a harmful drug. You need to learn to decipher cop-talk. It is very similar to politician talk (notice how close the words politician and police are).

"You are causing more deaths" really means "You are hurting a valuable revenue stream of ours. If you dont stop, we will have to find a new way to get this money from the citizens we 'protect.'"

Besides, isnt this the same thing as me calling all of my buddies when I see a DUI checkpoint?
    couldnt have said it any better. Cops are the biggerst hippocrates. They will pull something like this and try and blame a smart phone app when they are the ones that dont care because if they show up to a check point with one eye closed they will show thier badge and be on thier way.
  8.    #8  
    to clarify a few thing there is an app that tells you police dui check point is ahead. I don't know what it take to pass an app to a catalog. So I can't go into that.

I'm not taking sides either, I'm just striking up a conversation about the issue.

I will say this. It makes perfect sense that if you are drunk and you feel an app will allow you to "not get in trouble or caught." then you or the drunk is more likely to take the chance. Lets say that drunk (God forbid) kills a love of yours. Would you still think the app is fine. Would you promote the app as well?

Now this is america where we have the freedom to have what we want even if it can be used in a crime. Ie Guns, knives, and a dui checkpoint avoidance app.

So this is a really interesting situation.
    All the app does is promote illegal activity.. simple as that. Now i'm no saint, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why those kinds of apps are harmful to the general population. If they continue to allow the app to be sold, then if I have any loved ones who get hit by a drunk driver who used the app, I'll just sue the life out of the company that made the app.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    All the app does is promote illegal activity.. simple as that. Now i'm no saint, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why those kinds of apps are harmful to the general population. If they continue to allow the app to be sold, then if I have any loved ones who get hit by a drunk driver who used the app, I'll just sue the life out of the company that made the app.
    that's one way to look at it. Then again avoiding the death all together would be better.

this is like gun man with an app on his smart phone to track his victims.

would be much of a conversation if we all agreed cops suck. Lol
    Why not sue the guy who actually commits the crime? You going to sue the beverage company that made his drinks? How about the place that served him?

The apps promote awareness as well.
    ďThe argument could be made that (these websites and apps) are telling people who are driving drunk how to avoid them, but at the same time the apps and websites reiterate to people who might drive drunk that itís illegal, socially unacceptable and dangerous, and that law enforcement is actively looking for them," said Chris Cochran, a spokesman for the California Office of Traffic Safety
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why not sue the guy who actually commits the crime? You going to sue the beverage company that made his drinks? How about the place that served him?

The apps promote awareness as well.
    I think its a little silly to think drunk people open this app and say "Oh no I better not drive drunk cuz I can see there are a lot of check points I can avoid." Just don't think that's what they see when they use the app.

It like me buying cigarettes to read the warning on it to remind me how bad smoking is...
    How do these apps even get thier information? I know where I'm from any trap or check point has to be made publicly known (through a news paper or something) before it can be done. So an app like this would really just make public knowledge more widely known and easily accessible.

I don't really approve of an app like this either, though i'm not against something like trapster (which is just for speed traps right??). Speeding and driving impaired are both more dangerous, but i think everyone will agree on which one is more likely to take a life. (or not, but this is a discussion so feel free to say otherwise)
    If some ***** wants to drink and drive and possibly kill himself, then fine, let Darwin do his worst; but if that person even comes close to harming me, my loved ones, or even my property, we have a much bigger problem on our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    couldnt have said it any better. Cops are the biggerst hippocrates. They will pull something like this and try and blame a smart phone app when they are the ones that dont care because if they show up to a check point with one eye closed they will show thier badge and be on thier way.
    Seen this happen. Friend of w freidn who is a cop. Always gets away with **** like DUIs. Eventually, the guy later got caught by a county cop for hitting a parked car on duty and not reporting, after being drunk the night before (and still drunk).

Of course the breathalyzer "wasnt administered properly" allowing him to get away with it.

Link or it didnt happen
  16.    #16  
    I think the bigger issue is promoting drunk driving, not cops. Why not an app that phones a taxi with one tap. So drunk people can find a taxi with ease. Instead of an app that say if you're drunk drive this way.

I'm tellin you its all fun and games till you lose a love one to a drunk. Then its to late...... SMH
    I don't EVER drink and drive. But I might like these apps for the purpose of avoiding the circus and the delay that these cause. I have qualms about any infringement on the free flow of information to and from citizens by citizens - isn't there a first amendment out there?

I suspect those who are driving drunk are less likely to use good thinking and look at these apps before they drive. A few bordline cases might slip through - but the resultant harm to our rights vs. the harm caused by the marginal cases is unclear.
    Well, here in Brazil, the most of drivers follow some tweetters that inform about this checkpoints.

And more: here, is COMPLETELY prohibited driver after drinking ANY amount of alcohol. If the police catch, the driver lose his license's drive IN SAME TIME.

Radical, but this has save MANY and MANY lives here...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    +1

Many other parts of the civilized world take drinking and driving much more seriously.

The app is in bad taste but based on the first amendment, what do you do?
    Dan
  20.    #20  
    if I have to stop at a check point to save my life or my family's life, I'm down. these check points only make drunk drivers pay. So to say check points are only to raise money, who cares if its only those breaking the law that pay. Its not like a sober person is going to get a dui at a check point and pay. Lol sorry some comments are silly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast