Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Let's just see what happens in June. I long for the days when it was Palm that figured out the hardware/software integration. I want a new smartphone that I can not only enjoy in Disney World with my family but also do tethering when my wife wants to log into the office from her laptop. Sadly, it's not likely the Pre3 (no spacing between the "e" and the "3", I believe) will burst out of the gate on the carrier's LTE network. That's the big surprise I would have if I were hp. For sentimental reasons, it would be great if I could buy one of the last Palm-branded devices. I'd prefer an unlocked Pre 2, but I'm wary of at&t seeing what I'm up to if I were to use freeTether. I suppose I could settle for a Verizon Pre Plus from Simplexity. Regardless, I do see a Pre of some kind in my future.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I keep seeing folks say how important apps are to the succcess of WebOS, but if that is truly the case then why is it that according to surveys more than two thirds of smartphone owners have never even downloaded a single app?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    ...I think a more plausible reason for a delay, in my opinion, is a component shortages issues related to the Earthquake.

Delay or not Bottom line is the Pre 3 is not an Iphone replacement for most iphone users or potential iphone users...

What make anyone think that the huge majority of people that want specifically an iphone would not wait a mere 3 months for a fall release?...
    Does it matter what the reason for the delay is?

Do you really know what "potential iphone users" will do? All people w/o an iphone or w/o a Pre are potential iphone & potential Pre customers and potential Android, Windows, etc users. No question, right now, the iPhone has a better reputation, following, & coolness perception. That is what makes this an opportunity for HP. Doesn't mean HP will capitalize on it. Shoot, at this point, who really knows if the HP will bring their mobile devices to the market on time?

Who said "the huge majority of people that want specifically an iphone would not wait a mere 3 months for a fall release?" I really think you all defending Apple here are really exaggerating & taking things out of context as well as to extremes. I think if HP could take a 1% share of potential iphone users--this would be huge at this point. If anyone thinks a "majority" of potential iphone users would switch this quickly, I think they are kidding themselves. BUT, if someone, other than you, said it, I missed it.
    Even if iphone doesn't come this summer that doesn't matter. Android is stronger than ever. Thats the competitor to look out for.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    Why do people still think anyone is competing with individual Apple handsets or features. iPhone is a complete experience - iTunes software, ITunes video/music content store, app store, apps, etc. The Pre 3 isn't well-positioned against that in any situation. Neither is the Pre 6 or the Pre 13.
    I think it's interesting that you know what future versions of the Pre will be capable of doing.

I quit reading at that point, so any valid points were pretty much lost ...
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I just wanted to say hey man ... it's been a while since I seen one of your posts!
    Yeah, got busy doing some of that web development stuff that some on here keep insisting I don't know (though it's pretty basic). That, work, and an MC rally have kept me busy.

Plus the mods seem to have quieted the nonsense to a large degree, thus some of us can just go back to helping every now and then when help is needed.

Good to see the forum returning to the way things were back in the "TreoCentral" days.
    "Well allow me to retort":
    iPhone 5 most probable intro day June 6 WWDC2011 - Gizmodo

You can find pretty much any opinion on the internet. Both commentaries are just internet speculation at this point. And nobody will know for sure until the conference is over, just like they never know until Apple announces something.

I think a more plausible reason for a delay, in my opinion, is a component shortages issues related to the Earthquake.

Delay or not Bottom line is the Pre 3 is not an Iphone replacement for most iphone users or potential iphone users. It lacks the apps, style, form factor, ecosystem or integration into itunes and the itunes store. And from what was announce on Feb 9th they have in no way offered an equal solution to people that want that. They'll just buy an iphone 4 or wait. I mean if a WebOS user's commitment to WebOS is so strong that they'll wait all summer and fall of 2010 to be told to wait 6 months until June for a new phone, and they do it. What make anyone think that the huge majority of people that want specifically an iphone would not wait a mere 3 months for a fall release? The more likely second choice is Android generally and specifically the EVO 3D which at least has apps lots with android and a similar form factor.
    I wont say it again, I'll just quote it:

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I don't think iPhone users will jump ship, but every year people buy new phones. And when the iPhone not releasing new hardware you gatta wonder what those new phone buyers will think. Buy an iPhone 4 and be signed on a two year contract or buy an HP phone that was has newer hardware? And if there is no new iPhone I doubt Apple will announce NFC ... How can they when it's not in their phone?

As you see, I never said or hinted that current iPhone users will jump ship. SOME obviously will, but not nec to WebOS. However, to non-smart phone buyers looking to upgrade it all depends on marketing and what the carrier pushes. If the salesman on the floor pushed the newer Pre 3 and shows how cool it is and that it has everything that person wants or needs -- then it will sale. If that doesn't happen, well it's up in the air. And I will give you the Pre 3 lacks apps (whether or not the person looking to buy a smartphone and currently doesn't use many apps would care is up to that person), but style? Really? The HP Pre 3 is more stylish in my opinion then the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is just a slab phone, while the Pre is a new approach to the smart phone design. And form factor? Currently HP will release two different form factors for WebOS: HP Veer (small slider) and HP Pre 3 (larger slider). Both sliders, yes, but Apple currently has one form factor on the market: slab w/no keyboard. What the non-smartphone buyer is going to want, again, is up to them. And no integration into iTunes? Now your just reaching into dust. Windows Phone 7 can't be synced with iTunes, and I don't think Android can either, and I know my BlackBerry can't. I can still get my music onto my devices though -- and you still can with the Pre 3, just have to use another software (and apparently this is being worked on -- we just don't know how). But the Pre 3 works with Amazon MP3 Store -- so again, it's not like you can't buy music from another source.

So yea ...
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    I keep seeing folks say how important apps are to the succcess of WebOS, but if that is truly the case then why is it that according to surveys more than two thirds of smartphone owners have never even downloaded a single app?
    IMHO its because the core functionality is so complete. Also, most users don't know what an app is, especially free apps aren't seen as apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Do you really know what "potential iphone users" will do? All people w/o an iphone or w/o a Pre are potential iphone & potential Pre customers and potential Android, Windows, etc users. No question, right now, the iPhone has a better reputation, following, & coolness perception. That is what makes this an opportunity for HP. Doesn't mean HP will capitalize on it. Shoot, at this point, who really knows if the HP will bring their mobile devices to the market on time?

Who said "the huge majority of people that want specifically an iphone would not wait a mere 3 months for a fall release?" I really think you all defending Apple here are really exaggerating & taking things out of context as well as to extremes. I think if HP could take a 1% share of potential iphone users--this would be huge at this point. If anyone thinks a "majority" of potential iphone users would switch this quickly, I think they are kidding themselves. BUT, if someone, other than you, said it, I missed it.
    the original post asks if a delay in iphone is some opportunity for HP.

If a delay in iphone does NOT result in a chance of getting customers that otherwise would have gotten an iphone in significant numbers then it's not opportunity for HP. I don't think significant iphone users want what pre offers cause it does not offer the same services. Thus it's not a viable opportunity to do anything they wouldn't have already done. It's the same opportunity. And so far Android has been the beneficiary of people not buying iphones not Palm phones. It's will have no effect. So even with delay the opportunity is Androids not Palms.

Yeah i know what potential users will do cause they do it every year for the last few years. 1% share? lol. so they go from what 2% to 3% market share. If you think that's meaningful we'll just have to agree to disagree but i think they need to have much higher goals then that.

how am i defending apple? From what? I stated my own opinion. that they its unlikely there will be a delay and if it does it won't benefit HP so much as android. What am i defending?

they are important to me. If they were not important Palm would not have a catalog. If apps were not important people would be lining up for Pre 2s, Blackberry torches and Galaxy tabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Could apple failing to launch an iphone 5 mean HP now has a window of amazing opportunity to hit the market hard with the Pre3.

I think so, I think apple's stumble could be of huge benefit if they get their marketing machines rolling and the devices out, strike while the iron is hot as the saying goes. I know more than a fee people who's iphone actually comes up for upgrade/ending this summer and now that there will not be a new iphone the pre3 is going to look awfully shiny

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah except for that, no matter what others say, our App catalog is horrendous compared with that of the iPhone, and more importantly (because Apple will not release an iPhone 5 this summer) their (and HP's) competition, Android based phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I can't see why any iphone user will leave for a palm pre that is struggling in the app department
    Yup I agree.
    Let me restate what I was trying to say, in a better tone (mesa sorry for tone last time -- I work at a calling center, sometimes I can be stressed!). Getting music on another device isn't a pain, just causes you to use another software. Moat people don't know this, but downloading Songbird allows you to have all your iTunes music (all DRM free ones at least) and transfer it to any device, Palm or otherwise. It's just as easy as iTunes, my sister does it with her Palm Pixi.

And it is, I believe, an opportunity because HP is making it easier (somehow) to upload music to your device and the device itself is a very good device. Plus with the HP Veer that phone is more targeted it seems to the feature phone people, and being on ATT means you can get small amounts of data for a good price.

But it all depends on HP. It's in their court. Are they going to push it enough, or let this slide? And of course if Apple doesn't miss the June 2011 launch then it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by astraith; 03/29/2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    the original post asks if a delay in iphone is some opportunity for HP.

If a delay in iphone does NOT result in a chance of getting customers that otherwise would have gotten an iphone in significant numbers then it's not opportunity for HP. I don't think significant iphone users want what pre offers cause it does not offer the same services...

Yeah i know what potential users will do cause they do it every year for the last few years...1% share? lol. so they go from what 2% to 3% market share. If you think that's meaningful we'll just have to agree to disagree but i think they need to have much higher goals then that.

how am i defending apple? From what? I stated my own opinion. that they its unlikely there will be a delay and if it does it won't benefit HP so much as android. What am i defending?
    This time you stated the OP's intent IMO. Previous post you talked about the majority of iphone users going to the Pre--NOBODY has claimed that as part of the argument, except you. That is why I say you are defending Apple. You change the argument/discussion point.

You don't think there could ever be a shift in this industry because you have observed it the last few years? How big was the iPhone's market share 5 years ago? Changes have occurred in this industry and will occur again.

As for the 1%, again you mischaracterize what I said by saying HP's market share would only go from 2-3%. What I said was 1% of the iPhone market share. I believe 2 things at this point: 1) the future smart phone market is much bigger than it is today and it is certainly bigger than the iPhone's market share. 2) I agree w/Rahul Sood when he said (and I paraphrase) this is a marathon & not a sprint.

I also believe over the next couple years, the HP/webOS market share will increase significantly. HP believes it as well, or they wouldn't be investing the billions of $$$ on it. They may be wrong. I hope they are right.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I can tell you that the iPhone 5 delay has changed what this former Palm Vx owner will do this summer. I think there are consumers out there looking for a decent alternative to the iPhone. The closest thing to tight vertical integration is the Pre3 and Veer, and from reading all the posts in this here forum it's clear there are a bunch of webOS enthusiasts who like to tinker with their devices to get the most out of them. I for one am willing to see what the Pre3 offers, though I'd probably rather get a good closeout deal on an unlocked Pre 2. What hp needs for the new devices is a solid rollout, with developers offering more and more quality apps. I dropped by the at&t store today, and the dude told me the carrier's rolling out LTE this summer, and should be done by 2013. It's wishful thinking that hp trots out an LTE Pre3, but I think they're moving slowly and perhaps too carefully. Methinks that they're more focused on the TouchPad than the new phones.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Maybe blackberry owners do not install apps but every single person I know with an android phone has a bunch of things installed since there is so much free content. My wife hated the form of the pre so I got her an epic 4g. First thing she did was install a bunch of word games and other apps. She loves the phone.
    Well, that might be true for you and your friends, but an April 2010 survey showed only 19% of Android owners have downloaded apps. I'm sure that the number would be greater in a current survey, but certainly not the majority.
    Perception. Pure and simple. You can tout that as a feature, even if someone doesn't use it. And if Netflix, or your favorite social gaming (ahem, words with friends....) or Bank of America is on iOS and Android, but they don't have webOS apps? It "MUST" mean webOS is inferior so they don't build for it.

And that is how the public tends to view it. I've seen it first hand in that "oh, you don't have that app? lame, wouldn't get that." WebOS needs to really push their UI benefit. I don't know how, because it's an experience thing... ads don't do it justice.

But if HP can't get devs on board, I'm just going to cave and go android.
    Competing with the iPhone 5 fanatics is wishful thinking. They are going to do their thing as long as Jobs is alive and directing traffic. They will wait a year for the 5 if need be. And it's hard to knock Apple products, I've had the iPad for a year, and the Air for 3 months, both great great products.

I see the Pre3/TouchPad as backbreakers for RIMM Blackberry in the corporate environment.

It should be no sweat for corporate IT to qualify and offer HP/Palm devices to their users. Especially if HP can pull off multi-carrier and/or quad band.

I'm hoping Sprint is in the mix, but am willing to switch to Verizon. Am off contract at this point on Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Competing with the iPhone 5 fanatics is wishful thinking. They are going to do their thing as long as Jobs is alive and directing traffic. They will wait a year for the 5 if need be. And it's hard to knock Apple products, I've had the iPad for a year, and the Air for 3 months, both great great products.

I see the Pre3/TouchPad as backbreakers for RIMM Blackberry in the corporate environment.

It should be no sweat for corporate IT to qualify and offer HP/Palm devices to their users. Especially if HP can pull off multi-carrier and/or quad band.

I'm hoping Sprint is in the mix, but am willing to switch to Verizon. Am off contract at this point on Pre-
    Yep, agreed.

Even in the days when Apple was close to shutting their doors, their customers were so loyal that they still bought their overpriced PC's just to support the company.

There is no competing with the blind faith that they demosntrated - but HP would be smart to see that there are MANY WebOS "blind-faithful" too.

Just sayin...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

It should be no sweat for corporate IT to qualify and offer HP/Palm devices to their users
    I'm corporate IT, and I'm again using Pre as my main phone, and yes, there was no sweat. But, same goes for Iphone. Board of directors getting more and more Iphones an less BBs.
    wait, how are you off contract? It hasn't been two years yet. Unless you bought the Pre in full?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast