Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    26, 42, 5... Oh, wait, you said PM. I'll get right on that.
    Ha! I've got 3 of the numbers in the sequence...I can come up with the rest! Now I just need to find some frog DNA to replicate and splice...

With HP's enterprise efforts, mixing with us little old average consumers, it's going to be interesting to see how any predictions hold up...actually, I think we will be forgetting predictions in all the excitement of what actually unfolds.

Ah well, back to work...Anybody have a spare DNA replicator they aren't using?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Not unless HP unveils a 100,000 app catalog at the same time as the pre3 release, which isn't going to happen. They won't even have a 10,000 app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's a reboot. In year one, i wouldn't expect much growth. To me, the bigger priority is just getting some devices launched so they can move the platform along.

Anyone expecting a big instant share of the market, spike, or that keeps comparing to iOS or android numbers is going to be disappointed.

If success comes at all, it will be when HP is in fact releasing devices every other month and flooding the market with various devices & form factors. This will take awhile to get to if possible.

The problem is that people want it all right now. They want instant gratification. They want to look at the OS wars and see similar numbers right now. They want apps now. If they don't have apple like sales in first 3 months, people will chime in that its a fail.

HP can get through the growing pains and even make mistakes. But they have to be committed long term. I do question this commitment when they got this little thing called windows and Leo stating they will ship windows tablets if the right version comes along. Besides, Leo wasn't there when they got Palm. He can get away with dumping it later if he feels any pressure.

Also keep in mind the rate of market growth. So while an increase of 10% in market share might seem small when it is 3% to 3.3% (taking the numbers used above), the increase which that correlates to (in terms of actual number of WebOS users) might be substantial.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    nothing more then wishful thinking. Apple won't fail to release an iphone 5, won't fail to release ios 5, and iphone users don't want a pre because pres don't have nearly the wealth apps and Pre's are a form factory they don't want.
    No iPhone 5 at WWDC this year? That's how it looks from here -- Engadget

From everything we are hearing, the June 6 event will be about Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5. Since there are rumors about Apple going to the cloud with more integration, I would be willing to be these OS's will be working together (creating a larger ecosystem). And it appears (according to Macrumors.com) that the parts for an iPhone 5 haven't even started yet. That means at least an iPhone 5 in the June/July time frames are not going to happen. Maybe Late Summer or even in Fall? But this MAKES SENSE if they want to release iPhone 5 on Verizon and ATT same time. Why release iPhone 4 and then 4 months later make it obsolete by releasing a NEWER iPhone? So waiting till the Fall 2011 would give enough breathing room for that product.

Finally, what do you think the tech press and mainstream media will be occupied with from the June announcement to release? It will be all about the iPhone/iOS 5 reveal. The lines will start forming on the day of the announcement. It is wishful thinking run amuck to believe that the Pre 3, which also has no release date, will suddenly catch fire with consumers because they have to wait a few weeks for the iPhone 5. How is that working out for tablets that are on the shelves now, as opposed to the waiting lists for the iPad 2?
    Doesn't HP have an event June 6th too? This is going to be very interesting to see ...
    IPhone nano maybe?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    apps are becoming a bigger and bigger issue. While the core of webOS is all I really *need*... look at amazon cloud streaming. App straight to android. And that got me rethinking what self streaming options are for webOS... ampache is it. I don't particularly like it. I want to try subsonic... but one dev dropped out for lack of HP support back in the fall. Not sure if anyone really has picked it back up.

Now, part of the issue is of course, webOS 1.x is limited in what you could do I think, but HP has a huge hurdle to cross and time is not on their side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

Ah well, back to work...Anybody have a spare DNA replicator they aren't using?
    I believe there is an Android and Apple app for that
    I really think that WebOS is dead, if they would have had a spring launch, it would be completely different. Now the thing is going to have to cost 99 bucks to make a difference.
    I do not think webOS is dead, but if I were Ruby I would be getting a little nervous. Mabey he is great behind the scenes, but as a webOS watcher I have been nothing but disappointed in him for the last year or so and I cant imagine his employees/higher-ups feel much better. If this reboot doesn't go well he may get the boot. Not knee jerk just frustration.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    nothing more then wishful thinking. Apple won't fail to release an iphone 5, won't fail to release ios 5, and iphone users don't want a pre because pres don't have nearly the wealth apps and Pre's are a form factory they don't want.
    I didn't know anyone said "Apple won't release an iphone 5, won't fail to release ios 5..."

I thought the question is whether the phone & os will come this summer.
    I don't necessarily think this is an advantage for HP. If people know an iPhone is going to be announced in the fall, they will just wait. People want the iPhone. Pure and simple. Most people aren't out there comparing specs and OSs. iPhone is what they hear and iPhone is what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG James View Post
    I really think that WebOS is dead, if they would have had a spring launch, it would be completely different. Now the thing is going to have to cost 99 bucks to make a difference.
    I sadly agree.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I don't buy the false choice being set up here: either buy an iPhone 5 in June, or a Pre 3. For those who want an iPhone, you are forgetting the main choice: wait for the iPhone 5. Also, for newbies who are not invested in anything, I can almost guarantee that if the iPhone 5 is delayed, you will see a $99 iPhone 4. Done.
    I agree waiting is an option. Look how many of us have waited for the next Pre--without a bazillion apps. Again, though, I don't think the OP said all the iphone users were all going to switch if the iphone was late. He simply said it was a great opportunity for HP and he had a few friends who were at their time for remnewal. Those that may have been thinking about an iphone & those simply upgrading or changing to a smart phone at the time will look at the market at the time.

As for the $99 iPhone 4--I disagree. I don't believe it will go to $99 until the iPhone 5 is either out or in the event the Pre 3 & Android phones are actually making a dent in the market share.
    Fair enough. But let's be clear; I didn't suggest the Pre 3 didn't stand a chance. Of course it does.
    Well, let's really be clear. The statement below may not have exactly said they didn't stand a chance, but it was most definitely a suggestion that they didn't:
    Also, Apple will be announcing iOS 5 the first week of June. It will include things like NFC and a great way to use it, that the Pre 3 just can't compete with....
    I don't think the suggestion is being made that a "slightly delayed" iPhone5 would mean that HP would blow Apple away. Only that it offers "a window of amazing opportunity to hit the market hard with the Pre3. The OP made no claim about HP doing anything to Apple, only that this offered a window of opportunity for them to "get their marketing machines rolling and the devices out, strike while the iron is hot as the saying goes."

The only mention of Apple in the OP (other than the iPhone5 not being available) was that users whose iPhone comes up for an upgrade might be interested in the Pre 3.

In those cases, the OP has a point, it would be the Pre3 competing with the iPhone4. There might indeed be a great opportunity there.

Finally, what do you think the tech press and mainstream media will be occupied with from the June announcement to release? It will be all about the iPhone/iOS 5 reveal. The lines will start forming on the day of the announcement. It is wishful thinking run amuck to believe that the Pre 3, which also has no release date, will suddenly catch fire with consumers because they have to wait a few weeks for the iPhone 5. How is that working out for tablets that are on the shelves now, as opposed to the waiting lists for the iPad 2?
    Well Sammy's GT10 isn't out just yet. But as it has just rendered the iP2 a "fat, heavy, obsolete" slab, I'd wager that since the one true "advantage" they had has been lost, the slope will continue to erode. I mean if the "crappy" GTab 7 can challenge iPad's marketshare, the thinner, higher spec'd GTab is an unstoppable juggernaut.

As to why the Pre3 would be desireable to iPhone users...I cite this again (Anecdotal but you are free to replicate the results for yourself any time)

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Proof of webOS multitasking superiority over iOS is a little game I play with colleagues during lunch I call the "Super Task Challenge". It really ****es iPhone users off!

The Rules:

*You need two helpers that can text and email mobile, a Pre, and an iPhone (the contestants)

The goal is for the contestants to start a game and finish the level while getting several "multitasking" requests from the helpers.

1. Start the game and play the same level (Need for Speed, Asphalt5, Angry Birds what ever, as long as both have it)
    2. Helpers send both a text asking to email some information from the web.
    3. Contestants will open the text and get the information to look up.
    4. Google the information.
    5. Copy it into a new email to the helper and send
    6. Reply to the text stating the email is sent.
    7. Finish the level of the game.
    8. First one done wins.

Pre has won 100% of probably 18 or 19 rematches and it amazes everyone at the table and really cheeses off the iUsers. It's great! I "sold" 3 Pre's to others who were very impressed with the Pre and still are.

But I digress....
    I think the iphone in general has reached a point where it doesn't matter anymore how much faster or thinner it is. If Apple doesn't improve the OS UI I can see WebOS and Android taking over their market. iOS is showing its age and the current improvements they've made look more like patches instead of making a new OS generation. So they need to concentrate on the next major version of iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well Sammy's GT10 isn't out just yet. But as it has just rendered the iP2 a "fat, heavy, obsolete" slab, I'd wager that since the one true "advantage" they had has been lost, the slope will continue to erode. I mean if the "crappy" GTab 7 can challenge iPad's marketshare, the thinner, higher spec'd GTab is an unstoppable juggernaut.

I don't know about that:

First Samsung confesses that their earlier "sales" were not sales, and now they are caught fudging the width of the tablet.

AppleInsider | Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG James View Post
    They are having a Spring 2011 launch actually. It's called HP Veer, and it's an ATT device. It's ridicously small, sure, but it is more powerful then most BlackBerry's and a hell of a lot simpler to use. And I would be willing to bet a $99 price point to.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, let's really be clear. The statement below may not have exactly said they didn't stand a chance, but it was most definitely a suggestion that they didn't:

I don't think the suggestion is being made that a "slightly delayed" iPhone5 would mean that HP would blow Apple away. Only that it offers "a window of amazing opportunity to hit the market hard with the Pre3. The OP made no claim about HP doing anything to Apple, only that this offered a window of opportunity for them to "get their marketing machines rolling and the devices out, strike while the iron is hot as the saying goes."

The only mention of Apple in the OP (other than the iPhone5 not being available) was that users whose iPhone comes up for an upgrade might be interested in the Pre 3.

In those cases, the OP has a point, it would be the Pre3 competing with the iPhone4. There might indeed be a great opportunity there.
    I just wanted to say hey man ... it's been a while since I seen one of your posts!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    yes this is a truly a advantage for hp. And they need to take advanatge of it lol. I'm hoping they have something else in the pipeline that will blow the doors off anything else and fornow marketing and dev relations is key.
    "Well allow me to retort":
    iPhone 5 most probable intro day June 6 WWDC2011 - Gizmodo

You can find pretty much any opinion on the internet. Both commentaries are just internet speculation at this point. And nobody will know for sure until the conference is over, just like they never know until Apple announces something.

I think a more plausible reason for a delay, in my opinion, is a component shortages issues related to the Earthquake.

Delay or not Bottom line is the Pre 3 is not an Iphone replacement for most iphone users or potential iphone users. It lacks the apps, style, form factor, ecosystem or integration into itunes and the itunes store. And from what was announce on Feb 9th they have in no way offered an equal solution to people that want that. They'll just buy an iphone 4 or wait. I mean if a WebOS user's commitment to WebOS is so strong that they'll wait all summer and fall of 2010 to be told to wait 6 months until June for a new phone, and they do it. What make anyone think that the huge majority of people that want specifically an iphone would not wait a mere 3 months for a fall release? The more likely second choice is Android generally and specifically the EVO 3D which at least has apps lots with android and a similar form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Except for a few apps like an Office productivity suite, I'm covered for what I want & need.
    That's fine. But to sell lots of phones, They need to appeal to much more then just you. Most users are not satisfied with a catalog of mostly novelty apps that struggles to get mainstream support from more then hobbyist developers. Personally, i haven't downloaded an app in over one whole year cause most of the novelty stuff released does not interest me. That's an example of how little is in the catalog that interest me. And i'd bet the average iphone user would be similarly unsatisfied with the catalog. Especially if they are a current users asking, "So where's the espn fantasy baseball app? How do i access my mint account. No i'm not changing banks. Why can't i get into my youtube account? etc."
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/29/2011 at 03:20 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast