Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So this morning, I decided I was going to have some fun. I went down to the local Best Buy and I decided to purchase something to have fun with while I wait for the release of my dream tablet: The TouchPad. I thought long and hard about the iPad, but because I have an iPhone, and consequentially I don't like iOS (it is horrible), I decided to purchase the best thing on the market: the Motorola Xoom tablet. (after all, Best Buy's Buy Back Program helps with the hassles of re-selling.)

After a long day of messing around with it, I can say that I absolutely love this thing. It is smooth, the operating system is actually productive, the notification is system is great, the screen is beautiful, the graphics on games rock, it has two cameras (which I actually used both today for productive reasons), and great battery life.

The best part about it is Android 3.0. Let me tell you that this OS is very polished and works great. There are a few minor things I dislike, but the vast majority of it is extremely well designed. It is actually FUN to use, which is a biggie for me.

So although I still think webOS is great, as I am a very huge fan, I can say that for about 5 minutes of today, I actually considered just keeping this instead of purchasing the TouchPad. I think that HP needs to hurry and get something to market to show what they have done with webOS and how webOS has evolved into a very mature operating system. Will I still purchase the touchpad.... yes. But someone who is not as familiar (or as fanatic) about webOS as I am might have made the decision to just stick with Android. In my humble opinion, I just think that a 5 month wait time is a little much from announcement until release.
    Interesting your an iPhone user that doesn't like IOS...why do you have an iPhone? Eitherway , thanks for the input and I'm also curious how things go with your Zoom. Sorli...
    Well, it looks like I'm future Ipad2 user. Friend of mine is traveling to US next month, and will buy me Ipad2.
    For $499 = 360EUR it's a dream offer. When TP arrives in my country, it will be about 500EUR + tax, roughly 600EUR=$840. (usual price policy - US price, but in euro, plus tax, plus reseller fee...)
    I could use Ipad2 few months and sell it for $500.
    It looks like I was wrong, it would be better that HP launched TP before summer.

So, Cydia, here we go again...
    <thread moved>
    Clarified title to show that this holderover device is not a Palm but a Motorola and not a phone but a tablet.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick review, as others mentioned - please post any additional impressions as you use it! I had already decided I would need to get a 'holdover' device as well for a trip we have coming up, and if the WiFi only version really does have a GPS chip in it and the MicroSD card will be activated soon then Motorola will get my business too!

Thanks, Clarice
    I had a friend give me a quick demo if his last week. He's a major android user on the phone side, and he wasn't very excited about his Xoom. He said it didn't feel like it was baked yet, but that he would just tolerate it until they release a few updates. We didn't have time to drill in to what he meant, but he said specifically that it wasn't as smooth as his Droid Incredible.

What I saw in those few moments was mostly eye candy that took a lot of tapping to do anything. Like making an "X" pattern with his finger to unlock the screen, swiping between pages to find the app he wanted, etc. I didn't take it to be a bad thing because I'm sure he will figure it out and configure it to be really usable like he did with his phone. I had just assumed it was a learning curve between two stock android devices until I saw some underwhelming reviews elsewhere. Hopefully I'll see him again when we have more time for him to show me his likes/dislikes.

He's not the type to install custom ROMS, but he will definitely personalize/customize to make it convenient for how he works. I liked the screen size, but it seemed too thick in the case/cover compared to what I expected. For what he paid, I was expecting iPad polish. I'm interested to hear from the OP as he gets to know this "temporary" fix for his technology jones. Other than wanting to swipe/toss cards, I am curious whether it ever becomes as "natural" to use as webOS seems to be. I say that because webOS seems to have "perfected" the UI for one-hand/one-thumb operation.

But the tablets I see are usually being driven by an index finger. I wonder if the card metaphor will be as important when the thumb isn't driving the UI. That will be a major clue about how HP is probably optimizing 3.x for use on larger screens - tablets, PCs, or even toasters!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    sounds like I'm lucky to have never used Android, no preconceived notions
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Must be nice to have that much cash laying around....buying a Xoom AND a TouchPad?
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Sorry...that was snarky.
    I tried the Xoom and thought it was horrible. Glad others like it.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    demo units just don't cut it, so I look forward to picking one up - likely from Costco so I can return without question if it sucks a lot. but the thought of a GPS with a screen that large when traveling in the camper is pretty sweet - easier to manage than the laptop easier to see than the TomTom
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Must be nice to have that much cash laying around....buying a Xoom AND a TouchPad?
    Haha. Actually, yes I am. But no, I don't have that much cash. It's just that phones and tablets are THE ONLY thing I really spend money on. I would rather have a new tablet than a 60" TV.
  14.    #14  
    Thought you guys would like an update on my XOOM Travesties. (lol)

So I have used it this since 830 this morning HEAVILY as I do with any new toy. It is now 10:43pm and the battery is at 36%. Like I said, very heavy use. I was hardly off it. So that part I am impressed by.

The operating system is still very good in my mind. I have had SEVERAL force closes on some applications, but they were applications not intended for Android 3.0, so that's a good excuse I guess. Every tablet app has been amazing.

I purchased a few games just to see what Tegra is all about. Let me just say that it is unbelievably powerful. The most impressive has been a game called Samurai II Vengeance. The graphics are great and doesn't lag at all. That game has 100% console quality graphics.

Camera quality sucks. haha. Simple as that.

It has a notification light! I thought it did not, but it does and it looks 100% just like the notifiation light on webOS, a short, white LED light. Instead of being located at the bottom, it is located at the right side of the screen. Near the top.

One thing I don't like is that you can't really make the system look pretty. You know? Customization is to make it look nice, and I just haven't figred out a way to do that because of the way in which Honeycomb's screens are set up. This is one of those things you just need to use for yourself to really understand.

One thing I will like better on the Touchpad (other than webOS of course) is the screen ratio. Yes. Screen ratio. 9.7" gives you a nice ratio of screen where its very, very nice to hold in portrait mode, and still works well in landscape. The XOOM, on the other hand, has a 16:9 ratio.... a widescreen ratio. I think honeycomb is intended for use on widescreen, and I don't know how I feel about that. I like to hold tablets in the way one holds a piece of paper - portrait mode. I think its logical, right? Tablets are meant to be used as a replacement for things you would usually do on paper I think. The XOOM is VERY VERY awkward to hold in Portrait mode becuse of the ratio of the screen... looks like a really loooooooong slab.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY happy with the purchase. Android 3.0 is very impressive. Definitely can tell that Matias Duarte worked on it. All the little things that make an OS superior, like on webOS, are present in Android 3.0. Things you just can't notice without spending hours on the device.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    if only Costco was open at 11pm! Def. on my ToDo list for Tuesday! Thanks!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I had a friend give me a quick demo if his last week. He's a major android user on the phone side, and he wasn't very excited about his Xoom. He said it didn't feel like it was baked yet, but that he would just tolerate it until they release a few updates. We didn't have time to drill in to what he meant, but he said specifically that it wasn't as smooth as his Droid Incredible.

What I saw in those few moments was mostly eye candy that took a lot of tapping to do anything. Like making an "X" pattern with his finger to unlock the screen, swiping between pages to find the app he wanted, etc. I didn't take it to be a bad thing because I'm sure he will figure it out and configure it to be really usable like he did with his phone. I had just assumed it was a learning curve between two stock android devices until I saw some underwhelming reviews elsewhere. Hopefully I'll see him again when we have more time for him to show me his likes/dislikes.

He's not the type to install custom ROMS, but he will definitely personalize/customize to make it convenient for how he works. I liked the screen size, but it seemed too thick in the case/cover compared to what I expected. For what he paid, I was expecting iPad polish. I'm interested to hear from the OP as he gets to know this "temporary" fix for his technology jones. Other than wanting to swipe/toss cards, I am curious whether it ever becomes as "natural" to use as webOS seems to be. I say that because webOS seems to have "perfected" the UI for one-hand/one-thumb operation.

But the tablets I see are usually being driven by an index finger. I wonder if the card metaphor will be as important when the thumb isn't driving the UI. That will be a major clue about how HP is probably optimizing 3.x for use on larger screens - tablets, PCs, or even toasters!
    Definitely very good points here. Android 3.0 is not for everyone thats true. I will say that android 3.0 added a lot of good functionality but did sacrifice simplicity. One real good example are the back, home and app button at the bottom of the screen on honeycomb. I mean, they are just three alien loiking like things. You cant really know what they do unless you touch them. The same things goes for any menu on honeycomb within any application. It just has buttons on he top for several choices of settings and it takes a while to know what they all mean.

This may seem really negative but once you know what they are, you will be glad they are not labeled in any fashion that takes up screen real estate. And the system becomes much more efficient that way. Like if its semi natural.... but not quite as natural as webos. The design is great after you get used to it. It took me a few hours.... may take someone less savy a while longer.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting your an iPhone user that doesn't like IOS...why do you have an iPhone? Eitherway , thanks for the input and I'm also curious how things go with your Zoom. Sorli...
    I purchased the iPhone on impulse. :-) I had never really spent some quality time with iOS before then. It is the most stable system out there, but its not like other systems are unstable, they just mess up 1% of the time. And i would rather be frudtrsted 1% of the time than be frustrated 100% of the time I use my iphone. The system is sooooooooooooooooo boring and unintuitive. Not to mention it is incredibly limited.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I've been home from Costco with it for an hour or so now, still loading up fav free apps (kindle etc) and STILL trying to swipe things away, that will take some training. it's a heavy little sucker but so far I'm happy with it, it will just take some adjustments when using it instead of the other gadgets. Thanks for the review and info estebancam!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    I've been home from Costco with it for an hour or so now, still loading up fav free apps (kindle etc) and STILL trying to swipe things away, that will take some training. it's a heavy little sucker but so far I'm happy with it, it will just take some adjustments when using it instead of the other gadgets. Thanks for the review and info estebancam!
    No problem, hope you like it. Let me known if i can be of any help.!
    So how does Best Buy's buyback program work? Do you have to buy in addition to accidental coverage or is it included in their accidental coverage now?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast