Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From what I read it sounds like a huge rip off. Sell on eBay or Craig's and get way more back.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I thought I'd check in now that it has been a couple of days. I really like my Xoom and have no regrets for buying it. any brand tablet is a handy device to have around the house when spending time in other rooms without a full computer around. I have an ipod touch but the bigger screen is nice

I'm also finding what I like and what I don't like about having a tablet and more importantly about tablet Apps, so as I move forward with webOS development this year hopefully I will be able to design better apps

eventually I expect to have a touch-to-share Phone and Tablet combination, but with my Verizon upgrade date for a phone not until next year, my free hotspot Pixi and Pre and a Xoom will get me through!
  3.    #23  
    The bigger screen is the nicest thing ever. I didnt realize how useful a tablet really is until now that I own one. I rarely use my computer now.... and its a $2,500 Mac Book Pro. Darn that was a mistake. Haha.

But yes, I am still waiting for TouchPad. I sincerely hope that HP did with webos what Google has done with Android. Its really a big improvement over other android systems. HP had better not dissapoint with 3.0. I really hope it can run well. Also, I hope they decide to improve the outer shell on the hardware because all other tablets being released are made of metal in the back. The touchpad is all plastic. Not a dealbreaker but it shows quality. I know that it is a PLEASURE to hold my xoom since it is made of very good material. It just feels tough.
    Fellow new-xoom owner here. Picked it up the night before last.

Bit of an impulse purchase as logic says wait until June, but I have to say it is a nice gadget. Donít know how well the Mrs. will warm up to it, but that is fine with me as I donít want to use the laptop anymore.

...edited by staff...

I still like webOS, and I can already see a couple of areas where it works better than android, but I can also see a couple of areas where android works better than WebOS. Hopefully HP puts some effort into WebOS *directed at the consumer* and doesnít just write them off in there ever more obvious push towards the corporate space. Iíd like to think that a year or two from now WebOS will have all the tools needed to compete evenly with Android and Apple. But right now itís looking like the Droid Bionic is in my future instead of the Pre3.

-Suntan
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    What's the Xoom owners opinions about paying $800+ for a product you'll have to send back because it wasn't finished but they still collected full price? That part drove me up the wall and away from the Xoom.

Unless the wifi version is the one you bought. That one only needs firmware upgrades which is less painful than hardware upgrades.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't get why having no 4G would be acceptable to anyone on a tablet it was advertised for. That is a big deal to me. Also SD card expansion. I'm also getting sick of the false advertising popping up these days.

Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 04:04 PM.
    I think Motorola did release a firmware update to prepare for the official Flash. As long as they get it out and not make people wait too long for what was promised, that may be excusable. But the other stuff after paying $880(around here with the tax), no thanks.

9.    #29  
    First of all, the xoom has flash support. You have to download the flash app from the market. I have had it since I opened the box. Is it absolutely necessary? No. In fact, I hate flash. It is a resource hog and it has some serious stability issues. Not to mention that it was built from the griund up to be used by a mouse, not a finger.

Anyway, i wint defend the other two things. Yes they said 4G would be available and it should have. That is false advertising. They also touted the microsd slot, and it doesn't even have support for it, which does bother me quite a bit. I will say, however, that all the strengths of this tablet make you forget the weaknesses. You can count the weaknesses in one hand. I'm not trying to justify anything, all I am saying is that I feel like this was worth my money. And in the end, that's all that matters.
  10.    #30  
    Fellow new-xoom owner here. Picked it up the night before last.

Bit of an impulse purchase as logic says wait until June, but I have to say it is a nice gadget. Donít know how well the Mrs. will warm up to it, but that is fine with me as I donít want to use the laptop anymore.
    ...edited...

I still like webOS, and I can already see a couple of areas where it works better than android, but I can also see a couple of areas where android works better than WebOS. Hopefully HP puts some effort into WebOS *directed at the consumer* and doesnít just write them off in there ever more obvious push towards the corporate space. Iíd like to think that a year or two from now WebOS will have all the tools needed to compete evenly with Android and Apple. But right now itís looking like the Droid Bionic is in my future instead of the Pre3.

-Suntan
    Remember, however, that this is Android 3.0, a version designed by webos guru Matias duarte. This version of android has a lot of improvements over previous versions. No doubt due to the genius mastermind behind it. Android versions before this had a lot more wrong with them than does this current tablet version.

If you like apps selection and want a lot of customization, Android is good for you. I am going pre3 because of how intuitive webos is and how fun it truly is to use. Not to mention that it is the most functional, as I can get more out of each tap, swipe and press than I can on any other platform....except maybe windows phone 7. That system is pretty fast to use.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 04:03 PM.
    I see Flash was indeed released on March 18th. All I remembered was the patch to prepare for Flash. It's buggy because it's still beta.

Flash 10.2 beta hits Android Market on March 18th, supports Honeycomb, Gingerbread and Froyo (update) -- Engadget

Not really IMO, but it's better than nothing. Motorola should have clarified it's a work in progress. Adobe had to do it for them. You can see I'm not happy with Motorola, lol.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I have the WiFi version and just the hope of being able to expand my storage with microSD was a bonus compared to the ipad2 and waiting for the touchPad that won't have external storage. No idea when it will be functional but it's a bonus feature for me that is worth waiting for.
    Just a couple random comments.

I got the wifi version. I get 5GB of free tethering with my pre +.

Downloaded flash 10.2 from the app market the day I got it. It pretty much works without issue. You even have the choice of 'disabling it' in the browser and selectively clicking on just theflash bits you want to watch. Might not be important to some, but now my son and I can sit in the recliner and play his flash games on the PBS websites before bedtime instead of having to sit at the kitchen table with the laptop.

Android 3.0 does appear to have taken a few ques from webos. The notifications are almost the same in how they are handled and their multitasking is different, but not exactly alien.

Yeah, it was rushed. No buts about it. That said, available now with some warts is better than available months later ready to go. If it was really that unstable i would return it. The reality is it isn't that bad. That's just my opinion. Ymmv.

-Suntan
    ...edit...
    Wow....just....wow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    I see Flash was indeed released on March 18th. All I remembered was the patch to prepare for Flash. It's buggy because it's still beta.

Flash 10.2 beta hits Android Market on March 18th, supports Honeycomb, Gingerbread and Froyo (update) -- Engadget
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 04:06 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12