Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i've been studying up on this - been a pre owner since day one (sprint)- looking to move to either the evo or epic. but would like some feedback from those who have made the switch:

how is calendar & contact syncing on these devices? i'm reading about having to use a 3rd party app to do so (VCOrganizer for example). i use google and outlook 2007. the internal apps don't sync with google themselves? i need an app?

does tethering with equally well with either phone? i'd try pdanet-used to use it with my treo.

million dollar question - just when is epic getting 2.2?? and is there a huge difference compared to 2.1?

finally - just curious if any evo or epic owner also has a tablet and which one they rely on most--tablet or smartphone

thanks for helping clarify!
    I had all three :-) I'm currently using the epic. I'm going to get the Pre 3 if and when it comes out on Sprint. I will sell my Epic to do so. The WebOS operating is by far the best. The Epic and Evo have great hardware. The difference between the two is the Epic has a hard Keyboard and the Evo does not. The thing that drives me nuts about these two Android devices is the software. It is so unstable. I'm constantly resetting it. With the Pre I never was. That is why I'm going back. I'm also going back because of the beauty of the multitasking on the Pre. I hope this helps !
    I myself have had a EVO for 4 months and must say thought the hardware is nice it is a let down compared to what Webos can do. I have now recently got a HTC Arrive on another line for business and will say that this is by far the nicest phone I have had in a while. WP7 OS is very very smooth and fluent, no hiccups APPLE IOS like (maybe better). I'd recommend this over any android device to date. The keyboard is the best in the business, As well as the browser and the VK is prob the best on the market right now. Honestly if your on sprint and are considering a move until the Pre 3 comes out hopefully I would highly consider it, as well as on wirefly its only 149 with a upgrade or 80 for a new line. Oh FYI I get on the regular battery 16 hours of medium to hard use, and the HTC EVO extended battery fits it as well so you can get a 1800 mhz battery on ebay for maybe 20 dollars to give you even more battery life.
  4.    #4  
    thanks guys - wellwellwell-- you like the keyboard better than the epic?

any comments on the calendar & contact syncing for the evo and/or epic?
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    thanks guys - wellwellwell-- you like the keyboard better than the epic?

any comments on the calendar & contact syncing for the evo and/or epic?
    def I used a epic for awhile the keyboard is nice, but has nothing on the Arrives. I would highly recommend you try that device WP7 is the best OS second to Webos only IMO and Ive tried them all.

Yes for the Epic and Evo the calander and contacts sync just fine. Though if going with a android device thats out now Id opt for the EVO, sence the touchwiz is horrid, and the EVO is much better in terms of speed, and updates of course.
    why not wait for the nexus s 4g or evo3d? the nexus will be out relatively soon as they are already taking pre orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    why not wait for the nexus s 4g or evo3d? the nexus will be out relatively soon as they are already taking pre orders.
    I thought they are both pitted for a near summer release, and to me after listening to intial reviews neither phone is leaps and bounds better then the original EVO, or Epic.
  8.    #8  
    m3grady2 - just looking into the nexus - trying to see how it measures up -like the idea of 'stock android' and if this is true - "Sprint Nexus S 4G customers will be among the first to receive Android software upgrades and new Google mobile apps."
    everything says 'spring' any idea when - early-late?
    from what i'm hearing mid to late april for the nexus s 4g and june/july for the evo 3d. Hopefully sooner than that
    I upgraded to the Evo, it's different, but not too bad. The Epic should receive an OTA sometime after March 24th, so it may have already been pushed. I like the Evo over Epic because of HTC Sense.
  11.    #11  
    anyone tether with these phones?
    I upgraded to the EVO, google contacts sync flawlessly, you can even set the frequency of the sync, calendar wise i use an app called "calengoo" from the android market, it's the closest thing to the pre calendar i've found, that also syncs flawlessly and has an agenda view that the pre calendar didn't have
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    All the new phones including the Pre 3 are coming in a matter of weeks now. Wait a bit longer.
  14.    #14  
    thanks guys- i stopped at the sprint store today and suprisingly they had no idea when the phones would come out- other than 'by summer'!

i like the form factor better of the epic than the evo (too square for me) but i like the real estate of the evo. i also have a sammy tv with dlna so it'd be nice with the epic.

the sprint guy told me the epic had 2.2 and it had all ready started rolling out again.

is the nexus at tmobile the same as what will be coming to sprint- with the exception of 4G? i'm finding a lot of the tmobile reviews and want to know if its same - plus i'd like to take a look at that one in person.
    Last edited by eddieras; 03/27/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    I was really considering the Nexus S, but i was dissappointed that it doesn't record HD video. I might try out Arrive since my upgrade is going to be cut off April 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    thanks guys- i stopped at the sprint store today and suprisingly they had no idea when the phones would come out- other than 'by summer'!

i like the form factor better of the epic than the evo (too square for me) but i like the real estate of the evo. i also have a sammy tv with dlna so it'd be nice with the epic.

the sprint guy told me the epic had 2.2 and it had all ready started rolling out again.

is the nexus at tmobile the same as what will be coming to sprint- with the exception of 4G? i'm finding a lot of the tmobile reviews and want to know if its same - plus i'd like to take a look at that one in person.
    Yeah its the same thing.
  17.    #17  
    thanks - i've been spending a lot of time reading reviews on the t mobile version and want to be sure i'm not wasting my time- thanks again!
    I would wait as well if you can and compare them all hands-on. Even if you decide you don't need the Evo 3-d upgrades, there will be some great deals on current Evos as soon as the new one is out. Played with the Epic, some like it but hardware not as solid.

As said above, The Evo is different than the Pre. Google stuff syncs wonderfully and there are a couple of apps that give you real calendar and adgenda power like we used to have with the Treos. Hardware so much better than current pre and so many more apps.

In ALL, the COMBO of hardware, apps and os make the Evo a better choice right now, the Pre3 might change this IF they can get more apps and functionalitly by the time it is out.
  19.    #19  
    thanks - this really helps a lot. i've made my mind up i'm leaving the pre- it's down to the Nexus S and the EVO - with leaning to the Nexus - i like the idea of vanilla gingerbread (sounds like my dessert!)
    If Evo vs Nexus S comes down to OS type, you can always just root and ROM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast