Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a Day One Pre user. I started with the first Samsung Smart phone, and moved to the Handspring Visor phone and almost every variation of Palm phone there were. I tried a G1 android when it came out, bought a iPhone 3G and (hated ATT and ended service). Anyway, I have been through a great deal of phones. My favorite the Pre without doubt.
    I have been patiently waiting for the next WebOS phone which happens to be the Pre 3.

I have to say when iPad was released I was very skeptical that I would like the iPad. Then work bought me a Wifi version, within a week, I couldn't put it down. In fact I became so hooked, I bought a 3G version for myself. Now I can't wait to get an iPad 2, I have one on order. I went to a conference in Las Vegas in Sept, there was about 20% iPads there. I went to a conference this weekend and 40-50% of the people had iPads.

I really want to think there is hope for the Touch pad and the Pre 3, but as much as I have been a cheerleader for Web OS, it's hard not be be sucked in to the interconnection and the sharing of apps and data on the iphone and iPad. The shear volumes of apps available is staggering. I am waiting until the iPhone 5 and the Pre 3 are released but it is going to be a harder decision than if the Pre 3 had been released earlier.
    I have iPad for long time. It's just amazing device. I just love it so much. I had it before they even had a multitask feature but that never bothered me. I am having hard time not to order iPad 2. Amazing thing is that, my wife wants iPad 2 for herself, and she never wants to spend any money on any gadget. iPad and her iPhone really won her over, and she wants nothing to do with anthing else other than iOs product now.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    Just curious.....why in this forum when the Pre 3 has almost nothing to do with the thread? I'm sure it's an innocent mistake, but just wanted to know......
    It does though. I am one of the many waiting for the next incarnation of the Pre. I am not sending off my "goodbye" to everyone because I'm leaving leaving (cuz I am not), or saying that the ipad/iphone is better than the pre/touch (because it is not). I think there is a discounted corrolation between what these record breaking sales for the iPad are going to do to future phone sales.

I am a Pre hold out, but admitting the the Pre is better than the iPhone, data sharing, app market size, and consumer comfort with the os, and what is happening to iPad 2 sales right now, are going to affect Pre's sales, regardless of which is a better product.
    I think that the connected nature of the Pre 3 (or Veer) and the TouchPad will really help sell both devices. Of course, HP and Palm have been and will continue to fight an up hill battle for market share over the next few months/years in order to reach one of the top spots. HP has plenty of resources though, so if they're truly committed to making webOS successful then we have nothing to worry about. If something doesn't work they'll try something else.
    I have faith in HP, as you all should.
    They do not make many stupid mistakes, and they wouldn't sink this much cash into Palm, without having at least a roadmap.

Take for example the Compaq purchase - before that, the HP NetServers were horrific - anyone here in the IT/Servers filed will tell you that. Compaq Proliant DL series were awesome.

What they have done with them is unreal. We run entire datacenters on banks of 3-6 DL380 G7's, dual hexacore CPUs, and VMWare ESXi 4.1, along with a pair of HP/Left hand (another acquisition) P4500 series 7.2TB SANs.

Yeah, they killed off alphas, which alot of us liked, but it was already on a downslide, with only Unix and OpenVMS available for it.

Have faith - I think HP will surprise alot of us with this next generation of webOS gear.
    I, as a past webOS user and current iOS user, don't understand why people love their iPad so much. It is so limited. And by FAR the worst tablet operating system in the market. The iPad is exactly like an iPhone, and i don't really like my iPhone because of it's very limited OS. I am purchasing the wifi only Motorola Xoom when it is released this week and then the touchpad when that becomes available. iOS is simply far too lacking. And I learned that te hard way: on a Verizon two year contract. I am going to have to purchase a pre3 outright when it is released. And trust me, I will. I can't stand this iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I, as a past webOS user and current iOS user, don't understand why people love their iPad so much. It is so limited. And by FAR the worst tablet operating system in the market. The iPad is exactly like an iPhone, and i don't really like my iPhone because of it's very limited OS. I am purchasing the wifi only Motorola Xoom when it is released this week and then the touchpad when that becomes available. iOS is simply far too lacking. And I learned that te hard way: on a Verizon two year contract. I am going to have to purchase a pre3 outright when it is released. And trust me, I will. I can't stand this iPhone.
    You need to qualify why you think iOS lacks so much. These mobile OS's are all pretty much app launchers and consumption devices.

Personally, i like consistency. I can expect an update each year from apple and direct updates. I can itunes to manage all these devices. I can give apple tv's (that continue to get new updates) to relatives and have an easy way to show off the kiddie videos when i visit. If a company is thinking about an app, iOS will get it first usually and often exclusively.

Even now, i know that in a month or so, iOS 5 will be previewed. It's like clockwork. I know an iphone 5 is due in less than 3 months. An ipad 3 will be previewed in less than 11 months.
    First of all, I'd let you take my children before I'd buy a device that had the requirement of installing and using iTunes.

That's like giving you a Mazerati that only drives if you attach a U-hall trailer of cinder blocks to the back of it.
    <cleaned and moved>
    The OP was about how the success of the iPad sells more iPhones. It's become a discussion about Apple.
    my wife has an ipad which she uses as a replacement for her laptop, all she does with it is facebook, surf the net, check personal and work emails and has a remote desktop app to access he work computer. She has an iphone too but is contemplating to getting a webos device soon.

with all the apps available for the ipad there are things I wish it had that the HP touchpad has:

1. Able to get calls and messages from the phone
    2. Synergy

the ipad is really nice and functional. But if it can do those mentioned above with the iphone then it is going to be nicer. Its just that in order for the iphone to "talk" to the ipad it needs to be plugged in itunes first. Which is really a bummer..
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't know if the iPad sells iPhones. There may be a general halo affect, but it is not necessary. One of the reasons the iPad is so successful is due to its lack of lock-in to other devices. It is platform neutral. You don't need a Mac or any other Apple product to get full use from the iPad, unlike the Playbook and the TouchPad.

Windows XP using companies can easily deploy iPads without another Apple product involved. Bloggers of every stripe have iPads, even though they used BBs, Droids, and WP7s. Some may be tempted to switch to an iPhone after enjoying the experience of the iPad. But I wouldn't say that the iPad sells iPhones. If anything, it is the other way round.
    Good points except for the first part. Do you know of a way to activate an iPad/iPhone without a PC or MAC? Or to get OS updates?
    They will activate it at the Apple store before you leave. But that does not really address my point. I was not saying the iPad was a stand-alone device, just that it did not require another Apple device. It works on a PC just as well. An iPad could be the only Apple hardware you own. In fact, for a lot of people, it is.

If you need a computer to activate, technically it is device dependent. However, moving on, what other device do you need to get full use of a touchpad?

You don't need a Mac or any other Apple product to get full use from the iPad, unlike the Playbook and the TouchPad.
    Actually I thought it was more like the other way around. How many iPhone users bought iPads? Seems quite a number to me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You need to qualify why you think iOS lacks so much. These mobile OS's are all pretty much app launchers and consumption devices.

Personally, i like consistency. I can expect an update each year from apple and direct updates. I can itunes to manage all these devices. I can give apple tv's (that continue to get new updates) to relatives and have an easy way to show off the kiddie videos when i visit. If a company is thinking about an app, iOS will get it first usually and often exclusively.

Even now, i know that in a month or so, iOS 5 will be previewed. It's like clockwork. I know an iphone 5 is due in less than 3 months. An ipad 3 will be previewed in less than 11 months.
    IMO a lot of what was lacking was fixed in iOS4.0+. But they do need another notification system besides annoying pop ups.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    actually it's ipods and iphones that sells ipads and imacs.

forget getting webos on a printer... palm should have done two things...

one, a webos ipod-touch-style mp3 player (or whatever that category is now).

spending the day at a ice rink all day with my daughter... seems like every kid had an ipod touch if not old enough to have an iphone. they fall in love with these things at an early age and learn to love the apple/itunes ecosystem and you know you are going to be buying future gen apple products for them until they are old enough to buy it for themselves.

the kids would love a webos device like the touch. you grab the future phone and tablet and pc buyers at an early age.

my 8-year old daughter uses my old 2g as a touch. she had a older gen nano before that. she uses mac at her elementary. she just got an ipad2. not intentional but she's into apple now. her friends have similar gear and to the kids... they think apple invented everything high tech and fun.

oh and two, a webos phone in slab form factor... it's probably the most popular form factor out there for smartphones right now and they have completely alienated a market segment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I thought it was more like the other way around. How many iPhone users bought iPads? Seems quite a number to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    In fact I became so hooked, I bought a 3G version for myself. Now I can't wait to get an iPad 2, I have one on order.
    This is what I don't understand. I DO understand loving the iPad and getting hooked and all that...but shelling out $600 to $800 for one less than a year after the first one? Is the first one somehow obsolete for you now?

Sheesh... it amazes me sometimes how much disposable income Apple fans have. Is there a single miser among you?
    You're still missing my point. I concede that the iPad is device dependent, just not Apple hardware dependent. The device people need is one they already have: a PC running iTunes. With what they already have, they can simply go out and buy an iPad with no thought to another Apple product, done.

The premier differentiator for the TP at the moment is TTS. That feature simply does not work without one of two other HP devices that are, as of yet, unreleased, and will require adding or changing a cell phone, and a new contract. That is a non-starter for a large number of potential candidates for the TP. The PB requires another device running BBM to get basic functionality such as email and messaging. These are core experiences of the respective devices that require another device with contract. There is no such restriction with an iPad. I do not see any evidence that the iPad sells iPhones.
    No I'm not missing the point at all. Quote: One of the reasons the iPad is so successful is due to its lack of lock-in to other devices.

A basic app that comes with the iPad is the iPod app. That is device dependent. In this case the device is another computer, be that Mac or PC.
    TTS does not stop the Touchpad from being a fully functional device. What stops it from being a fully functional device is availability and apps. My iPad 1 and 2 and iphone 3 and 4 do not have TTS, yet they are fully functional. The Touchpad appears to be less dependent on other devices.
    <posts deleted>

We've already had one thread closed for arguing and baiting. It's your choice if this happens to this thread also, folks.
    Please send HelloNNNewman a Private Message if you have a concern regarding Forum Moderation - Link: http://forums.precentral.net/private...newpm&u=163849

Thanks,
    P|C Staff
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    This is what I don't understand. I DO understand loving the iPad and getting hooked and all that...but shelling out $600 to $800 for one less than a year after the first one? Is the first one somehow obsolete for you now?

Sheesh... it amazes me sometimes how much disposable income Apple fans have. Is there a single miser among you?
    256RAM vs 512RAM. Thinner, faster. Cameras, despite being mediocre. What do you think?

And remember, many people sold the old ones to cover some cost on the new one. If they got say $400, that's already much of the cost right there. Some were asking even higher for the 32GB and 64GB models. Then the 3G models commanded a higher price too.

That said, I got a deal on the old one and ran with it.
    One reason, I don't need all the new features just yet, because I never really ran huge studio games on mobile to begin with. Much of the new speed is for that type of gaming, and heavy programs which I also don't use. FaceTime, I'll use the touch for now and probably will get an iPhone with the front facing camera. I'll get the iPad 2 when I can spare the $700. Yes, I will probably kick myself for not buying it earlier, but I don't have cash like that either. I really wish I did though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast