Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just received an e-mail promotion from Sprint on the Kyocera Echo. Anybody heard about it? The dual screen feature looks pretty cool, but I don't know anything else about it.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I got the email too. Umm, its a Kyocera.

It got panned on Sprint's Facebook page when it was announced.
    The consensus is that it is clunky, bulky, and not implemented to be very user-friendly.

But, my avatar is for my first smarphone, which was a Kyocera running PalmOS. Anything is possible.
    this thing is DOA. if anyone does decide they'd like to purchase it, i'd suggest that they wait a while after its release because the price on it is sure to drop after sprint sees how poor its selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Just received an e-mail promotion from Sprint on the Kyocera Echo. Anybody heard about it? The dual screen feature looks pretty cool, but I don't know anything else about it.
    My favorite quote for this device

Quote Originally Posted by Internet
    "This is a fail sandwich on failbread, with extra failsauce, a side of fail, and a fail soda."
    It was completely and utterly BLASTED on Sprint's FB page after they kept hyping "world's first", etc. and this was all they showed. People are blasting them again for the Evo 3D having an unveiling at an event while they rented a convention hall for the Echo.

Plus it's almost guaranteed to be on 2.2 FOREVER since even "copy cat" 4" slab devices are not getting timely OS updates.

Wait 6 months after release and you will be able to have this for $99 or possibly even free with contract.
    I dont think its as bad a concept as many people make it out to be. And i'm sure kyocera is trying to rebuild its name with good hardware. But i'm worried about battery-life, and dual screen api's. What kind of difference would having two screens bring to my life..
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    this thing is DOA. if anyone does decide they'd like to purchase it, i'd suggest that they wait a while after its release because the price on it is sure to drop after sprint sees how poor its selling.
    I have to agree. Not sure who at Sprint chose this but wow! How could they not see this as fail before bringing it to Sprint?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    There's a lot of hatred towards this phone, some of it I think undeserved since it hasn't been through a single review.

Personally, I think its pretty neat. Its a new format, rather than a generic slab. In fact, its probably the only phone with a dedicated virtual keyboard, which will make it stand out.

That said, it probably still won't do well. Screens are one of the largest power consumers on a phone, and adding a second one is going to slaughter the battery, which is no doubt sized to be for a normal single-screen phone. The funky hinge is probably a weak point, durability wise.

This biggest issue is software. Android doesn't support two screens natively, so there are lots of custom hacks to get that working. The fact that Kyocera has its own SDK for dual-screen apps means its far more custom than any other phone, and unlikely to wide support for its unique features. It'll likely never receive a OS version update, either.

Still, I want to see a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The consensus is that it is clunky, bulky, and not implemented to be very user-friendly.

But, my avatar is for my first smarphone, which was a Kyocera running PalmOS. Anything is possible.
    I remember walking into the cellular store (that's what we called them back then )and asking to look at the Kyocera pdQ Palm phone, it just came out. It was much bigger then I expected and it literally looked like a Palm device stuck to a phone in a big case. It looked ridiculous when I tried to put it in my pocket (picture trying to fit a black chalkboard eraser in your pants). The user unfriendliness was mostly due to the lack of phones ability to communicate with the PDA portion of the phone. I think you could have your contacts in the Palm part of the phone but couldn't tap on them to dial, instead you had to copy and paste from contacts into the dialer.

Thankfully the Treo 300 came out very shortly after that and was coolest thing I ever saw at the time, I bought it instantly and loved it.

Now this Echo thing is just horrible and will never go the distance unless they make huge changes which I doubt they will do. HP is laughing at the Echo because they have plans for folding flexible color display for Palm, you can read about that here.
    Last edited by deesugar; 03/25/2011 at 10:31 PM.
    The Kyocera Echo will go down as one of the worst decision Sprint has ever made. I understand they are now required by their contract to stock it in stores.

The only thing a store manager can do is put it in the back and hope no one asks about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    My favorite quote for this device

It was completely and utterly BLASTED on Sprint's FB page after they kept hyping "world's first", etc. and this was all they showed. People are blasting them again for the Evo 3D having an unveiling at an event while they rented a convention hall for the Echo.

Plus it's almost guaranteed to be on 2.2 FOREVER since even "copy cat" 4" slab devices are not getting timely OS updates.

Wait 6 months after release and you will be able to have this for $99 or possibly even free with contract.
    Now only if they would fail kids in school! Lol.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Kyocera Echo will go down as one of the worst decision Sprint has ever made. I understand they are now required by their contract to stock it in stores.

The only thing a store manager can do is put it in the back and hope no one asks about it.
    i dont know, the Instinct wasnt all that great either, besides visual voicemail and a hell of a battery life.(yes i love my $200.00 alarm clock )
    HATERS BE DAMNED
    Kyocera Echo review -- Engadget

Kyocera pulled it off. Good for them.
    After reading Engadget's unbiased (GASP!!) review, it looks to be a big contender with the other Android big boys. Good job for Kyocera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    HATERS BE DAMNED
    Kyocera Echo review -- Engadget

Kyocera pulled it off. Good for them.
    Just watched the video. Fairly impressed, though the thickness and the bezel line between the two screens are the big issues for me.
    If you want an Echo, just wait until after the EVO 3D hits. The Echo will be dirt-cheap.

Regardless, once people realize that they are paying the same $10 data usage fee and not getting 4G, the Echo will be done.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/13/2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Its not the flashiest phone or the most powerful, locked into 3G only. Engadget review says it is a good phone, however they don't like the fact it is 3G only (and it does have WiFi but you can't use the Sprint TV and such apps over WiFi). But it is also stock Android, besides a few tweaks. Which is good. And they said it runs very fast -- which is surprising, considering the single core Snapdragon it has in it is only 1GHZ.

I kinda like it myself, as well. But I'd rather have a Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If you want an Echo, just wait until after the EVO 3D hits. The Echo will be dirt-cheap.

Regardless, once people realize that they are paying the same $10 data usage fee and not getting 4G, the Echo will be done.
    Some people live in areas where 4G is unavailable, and will be for years. So, the 4G factor plays no role in their decisions.

I'm glad I held off my decision on the Echo until the reviews. Now I want to play around with it in the store.
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Amazing how this phone went from spud to stud after an engadget review. I think it'll appeal to the young crowd who won't care about 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Amazing how this phone went from spud to stud after an engadget review. I think it'll appeal to the young crowd who won't care about 4G.
    And not just engadget. I think LaptopMag did a good review, showing some of the stuff engadget missed, such as browsing two web pages at once. Kyocera Echo (Sprint) Review - A Review of the Kyocera Echo (Sprint)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast