Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Hmmm....I'd watch the Engadget review video again. The painful truth of only a 1Ghz SoC to run TWO 3.5" screens becomes obvious. Last I checked when playing, Angry Birds Rio was not a "Matrix Edition" and that 3d Pool game isn't a "Matrix Edition" either.

    Go back and watch the agonizingly low framerates on both of those games and then tell me if that phone is running up to par. Hell I had to upgrade my desktop to the next class of cpu to take proper advantage of two LCD's so it's not going to run optimally on last years tech (which barely kept up then)
    That'd be your GPU/video card, not CPU.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Battery is also a concern...I think the review said the battery is smaller than those in most single-screen devices. It doesn't sound like it has HORRIBLE battery life, but it could be better for sure.

    I'm thinking we're due for a real breakthrough in battery technology and life...one for immediate consumer use instead of the "within the next five years talk". If convergence is truly going to happen, we need to have devices that will work for longer than half a day under heavy use.
    For the most part... the extents of the chemistry of a battery has been pushed about as far as possible with current scientific knowledge... battery life for the forseeable future will be a function of device efficiency and battery "size"... engineering new materials that can wick heat away more efficiently, and conduct with less resistance... as well as all hardware components to use less energy, such as the screen, processor, radios and such. The OS also needs to be optimized to use the hardware in the best way possible... these are the places we need real breakthroughs. Manufacturers need to start building the devices and components with battery life in mind... not the other way around.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Before you give up on the Epic, try the SwiftKey keyboard trial. In a few days, it learns how you think and suggests your next word and often a better word.

    Also check out the Getting Started with Android.
    actually i've already gotten the switftkey trial and i absolutley love it... when it works. unfortuanely it (like many other apps i've downloaded) crashes regularly. i dont have any stability issues with swype, but i hate the way it manages the dictionary. the way i type a business email is different from how a type a tweet. with swype that means all the speed is lost when it cant correctly guess what i'm trying to say...

    whch brings me too my next point. i got this thing because it has a physical keyboard. but it seems like the software on this thing misses a lot of my keypresses.thats quite annoying, especially when i'm trying to use universal search.

    so i wind up using the default vkb

    moral of the story is, if i'm gonna be using a vkb anyway, i may as well get a phone with two screens so the screen realestate loss is tolerable.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data that 4G phones all other smartphones get and is expected to have the same price.
    Fixed.

    The "$10/month extra for 4G" argument is no longer valid.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    have you handled either of these devices in their finished states? if not, then on what do you base your suspicions?

    the general consensus on the playbook is that its "passable, yet has much room for improvement". a 7 fits that description perfectly.

    the general consensus on the echo is that its a pretty good phone with unique features that prove to be useful. what evidence to you have that it it might be undeserving of an 8.

    The thing about review scores is that they are always to be taken with a grain of salt. they are merely a numerical representation of someone else's experience based opinion... your mileage may vary. But to cast doubt on the work of an entire staff simply because a product faired higher than you anticipated makes no sense. Especially when all you have to go off of is 2 month old video of a work in progress.
    I'll give engadget time. As i said, its suspect for a bit. More than likely though, i'll just have it bookmarked for news. I tend to like certain writers, not sites. After reading yet another "editorial" from engadget bashing RIM written by a 20yr old, i don't have high hopes.

    I'm sorry. A 7 doesn't fit the Playbook. I couldn't use it. No apps, no PIMs, and glitchy software. What should i use this for? Do I need to buy a BB phone from 2006 to use it? Needs a 6 til RIM gets some major updates.

    The echo? No 4G. But being on Sprint, that's a huge mark against it. Battery sucks. No apps hardly to take advantage of two screens. Has an old version of android. The screens suck compared to others like the iphone or top android phones. The Echo does not support pinch-and-zoom multi-touch. A dated processor to power two screens means lag. I'd rate it a 6. It's meant for teenie-boppers.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'll give engadget time. As i said, its suspect for a bit. More than likely though, i'll just have it bookmarked for news. I tend to like certain writers, not sites. After reading yet another "editorial" from engadget bashing RIM written by a 20yr old, i don't have high hopes.

    I'm sorry. A 7 doesn't fit the Playbook. I couldn't use it. No apps, no PIMs, and glitchy software. What should i use this for? Do I need to buy a BB phone from 2006 to use it? Needs a 6 til RIM gets some major updates.

    The echo? No 4G. But being on Sprint, that's a huge mark against it. Battery sucks. No apps hardly to take advantage of two screens. Has an old version of android. The screens suck compared to others like the iphone or top android phones. The Echo does not support pinch-and-zoom multi-touch. A dated processor to power two screens means lag. I'd rate it a 6. It's meant for teenie-boppers.
    fair enough. but by your logic all of the webOS devices are probably sitting around the 6-7 mark. also i dont think 4g is a requirement for a good sprint phone. i have an epic 4g and have only ever been in 4g range once... most sprint users wont be in 4g range anyway. in other words, i could switch to a 3g phone right now and not feel like i'm missing anything.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That'd be your GPU/video card, not CPU.
    Err..No. Already had dual-DVI outputs running to two LCD's but could not edit and encode movies on one screen while surfing, chatting, blogging, etc on the other. Also running a game on one while using the other was a somewhat choppy experience. That required more *processing* power to fix and a new cpu (with more RAM also), video card never changed. (although I have my eye on a gt450 )

    Fact is, pull up any other vid of AB-Rio and play it along side the quick demo on the Echo and tell me that it's not running at way fewer fps than normal. They handicapped the phone buy going with the lesser cpu to keep the cost (and likely batt consumption) down.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Fixed.

    The "$10/month extra for 4G" argument is no longer valid.
    The statement as originally written is exactly correct. "The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data fee that 4G phones get" explains that there is a premium data fee that will apply to the Echo as well as 4G phones.

    That is not an argument. It is a statement of fact.
  9. #49  
    The Kyocera has been added to the new phones comparison chart:

    Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D vs. HP Pre 3 and Veer

    The Echo had not been included in the chart because it is thicker and heavier with last year's RAM and screen resolution. Also, like older phones it does not have HDMI or DNLA outputs and only has 2x digital zoom. Plus it is charged the premium data fee but is not 4G. Watch the video of it being opened and closed. How many cycles can a floating articulated hinge go through before it loosens or the hinge or wires inside fatigue? How many Pre's failed because of a simple slider.

    But since the PlayBook is included in the tablet comparison, the Echo should be in the smartphone comparison. And so it is.

    If you use your upgrade on the Echo, it will be 2013 before most users before can upgrade again.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/15/2011 at 08:17 PM.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The statement as originally written is exactly correct. "The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data fee that 4G phones get" explains that there is a premium data fee that will apply to the Echo as well as 4G phones.

    That is not an argument. It is a statement of fact.
    However, it's not really a "fee" but rather a part of a standard smartphone plan. I see your point, but it doesn't really apply as you're not technically paying for something you're not getting.

    The only differentiating factor is the 4G which applies to very little people right now.
  11. #51  
    I would love to see an echo2 so BUY BUY BUY guys! (Im staying away from 1st gen products for a while)

    I say give blackberry a little time. QNX and TAT could have amazing results. It's basically at the same level as Webos minus email. I love the gestures.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The statement as originally written is exactly correct. "The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data fee that 4G phones get" explains that there is a premium data fee that will apply to the Echo as well as 4G phones.

    That is not an argument. It is a statement of fact.
    the original statement implies the the fee is in some way related (or should be) to the cellular wireless standard utilized by the devices. this isn't the case. the echo is a smartphone. Sprint charges smartphone users $10 more than other users because on average smartphones use more data than dumbphones. the type of radio used to access that data is irrelevant.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions