Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think there was a TON of unnecessary hate becuase of the form factor...but now that its been proved to be useful (in its current limited level) it could be interesting device. Not for me though.

I'm glad Kyocera pulled it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    HATERS BE DAMNED
    Kyocera Echo review -- Engadget

Kyocera pulled it off. Good for them.
    Actually, I thought it was pretty creative. Basically how everyone in the industry needs to innovate to standout! Not sure the specs on the device, but I like the dual screen and wish we had similar from HP.

BTW, here is a another video review that covers the basics for Slashgear - Sprint Kyocera Echo Hands-on - I would think about it if I didn't have webOS. Sorli...
    Battery is also a concern...I think the review said the battery is smaller than those in most single-screen devices. It doesn't sound like it has HORRIBLE battery life, but it could be better for sure.

I'm thinking we're due for a real breakthrough in battery technology and life...one for immediate consumer use instead of the "within the next five years talk". If convergence is truly going to happen, we need to have devices that will work for longer than half a day under heavy use.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Amazing how this phone went from spud to stud after an engadget review. I think it'll appeal to the young crowd who won't care about 4G.
    I remember another phone that was supposed to appeal to the young crowd that ended up being DOA... anyone else remember the Microsoft Kin? Granted that it was always prefaced with just being a rumor but the sales number that I saw kicked around the most when it was discontinued was just 500. Not thousand or million, just 500.

I'd think the young crowd would be more interested in 4G than 3G because of the whole "4 is bigger than 3 so has to be better" mentality so they are a better person because their phone is 4G instead of 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    I remember another phone that was supposed to appeal to the young crowd that ended up being DOA... anyone else remember the Microsoft Kin? Granted that it was always prefaced with just being a rumor but the sales number that I saw kicked around the most when it was discontinued was just 500. Not thousand or million, just 500.
    A little unfair to the Kins.

I think they would have done much better if they hadnt been saddled with a full-on smartphone data plan cost.

Expecting smartphone monthly payments for an advanced feature phone is going to be a fiasco every time.

-Suntan
    Just looked through the engadget review. That Echo looks pretty novel. Ultimately though, I don't think I could get past the annoyance of the split between the two screens. The few times I've tried to run a large spreadsheet across two monitors, it almost drove me nuts.

Now if they would take that hinge idea, increase the top screen to 4 and replace the bottom screen with a big, fat, 5 row keyboard. Id be all for something like that.

-Suntan
    Sprint said the February 7th event would show the "impossible is possible" with "yet another industry first".

Guesses from the press were:
    4G tablet Feb 7
    Glasses-free 3D phone on Feb 7?
    LG Optimus 3D
    First Windows Phone 7 update
    WiMax Galaxy Tab
    4G Phone
    Dual-core phone with 4G
    Sprint iPhone

Here is how the Echo compares to the other $200 phones like the EVO 3D and the Nexus 4G:
    • 4G - missing
    • $10 a month premium data fee - still required
    • 3D - missing
    • Thickness - thick
    • Weight - heavy
    • Battery - smaller
    • Second battery - left in the box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/14/2011 at 09:07 PM.
    HATERS BE DAMNED
    Kyocera Echo review -- Engadget

Kyocera pulled it off. Good for them.
    Think i'm going to be suspect about Engadget reviews for a bit. This gets an 8. The Playbook looks terrible and yet gets a 7.

An editorial about RIM today was one of the poorest I've read on there. Editorial: RIM, we've been here before -- Engadget
    Read other sites...its getting good reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Seriously? I mean... really?
    I thought you moderators were supposed to prevent flamewars, not start or encourage them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    My apologies. I will edit.

In January, Sprint challenged people to guess what impossible thing would become possible. They guessed 3D, 4G, and dual core. The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data that 4G phones get and is expected to have the same price.

The Echo may do much better the the EVO 3D 4G, Nexus 4G, and Atrix 4G. We will see soon enough.
    Read other sites...its getting good reviews.
    Here is the introduction to the Android Central's first impressions review:
    Woe is the smartphone carrier and manufacturer that tries something new, apparently. That much was apparent from the comments before, during and after Sprint's unveiling of the Kyocera Echo dual-screen smartphone at a special event in the Edison Ballroom in New York City. You folks out there certainly made your feelings known.

But we've actually had some time with the Echo. And it's certainly not as far to one end of the spectrum as you might believe. After the break, we get into our initial impressions of the Sprint Kyocera Echo and its crazy two-screen self. Read on!
    Here is how they concluded their review:
    Maybe the phone will take off. Maybe it won't. But we'll tell you this -- you need to at least try it before badmouthing it. There's possibly a market out there for it. How big? We'll have to see.
    The comments that follow are interesting.

Look back through past reviews and there is not much correlation between reviews and product success. But the reader comments at the end of the review almost always predict a products success. Look at the comments for the announcement at engadget.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/14/2011 at 10:52 PM.
    I'm not surprised this phone is getting positive reviews. In fact i was more surprised at the bashing it got when it was revealed. what is upsetting is the number of people who haven't seen one up close, let alone handled one themselves who think they no better than the reviewers.

i for one, can wait to at least try it out at a sprint store. I'm still within the 30day trial period on my epic, and i'm not too happy with it.
    Thanks milo. I'm not trying to defend the Echo, I just don't want to see this thread delve into a mudslinging match so early. It just seemed like more undeserved bashing that was typical of its announcement.

The Echo may do much better the the EVO 3D 4G, Nexus 4G, and Atrix 4G. We will see soon enough.
    I tend to doubt that. EVO will do well simply because of its name.

I haven't settled on the Echo, or even Android. To me all options are open and there is no better time to buy a smartphone. Hell, if that Nokia WP7 concept phone sees the light of day, I'd be putting that in my top three.

But anyways, is Android Central going to do a review of the Echo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Think i'm going to be suspect about Engadget reviews for a bit. This gets an 8. The Playbook looks terrible and yet gets a 7.
    have you handled either of these devices in their finished states? if not, then on what do you base your suspicions?

the general consensus on the playbook is that its "passable, yet has much room for improvement". a 7 fits that description perfectly.

the general consensus on the echo is that its a pretty good phone with unique features that prove to be useful. what evidence to you have that it it might be undeserving of an 8.

The thing about review scores is that they are always to be taken with a grain of salt. they are merely a numerical representation of someone else's experience based opinion... your mileage may vary. But to cast doubt on the work of an entire staff simply because a product faired higher than you anticipated makes no sense. Especially when all you have to go off of is 2 month old video of a work in progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    ...But anyways, is Android Central going to do a review of the Echo?
    The Android Central First Look Review noted a couple posts back may be the only review they do. All they have to do is mention the Echo and they are attacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Its not the flashiest phone or the most powerful, locked into 3G only. Engadget review says it is a good phone, however they don't like the fact it is 3G only (and it does have WiFi but you can't use the Sprint TV and such apps over WiFi). But it is also stock Android, besides a few tweaks. Which is good. And they said it runs very fast -- which is surprising, considering the single core Snapdragon it has in it is only 1GHZ.

I kinda like it myself, as well. But I'd rather have a Pre 3
    Hmmm....I'd watch the Engadget review video again. The painful truth of only a 1Ghz SoC to run TWO 3.5" screens becomes obvious. Last I checked when playing, Angry Birds Rio was not a "Matrix Edition" and that 3d Pool game isn't a "Matrix Edition" either.

Go back and watch the agonizingly low framerates on both of those games and then tell me if that phone is running up to par. Hell I had to upgrade my desktop to the next class of cpu to take proper advantage of two LCD's so it's not going to run optimally on last years tech (which barely kept up then)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ...i for one, can wait to at least try it out at a sprint store. I'm still within the 30day trial period on my epic, and i'm not too happy with it.
    Before you give up on the Epic, try the SwiftKey keyboard trial. In a few days, it learns how you think and suggests your next word and often a better word.

Also check out the Getting Started with Android.

In January, Sprint challenged people to guess what impossible thing would become possible. They guessed 3D, 4G, and dual core. The Echo will have the same $10/month premium data that 4G phones get and is expected to have the same price.

It was never made clear by Sprint that the $10 surcharge was for 4G only and that is now evident.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast