1.    #1  
    Here's a link to the press release.

Blackberry Playbook To Run Android Apps
    Last edited by slbailey1; 03/24/2011 at 04:30 PM.
    That pretty much drives a knife through the heart of native PlayBook app development, no?

They also mentioned some interesting things in their earnings report:

Record BlackBerry® smartphone shipments of 52.3 million grew 43% over fiscal 2010

Fiscal 2011 revenue grew 33% over fiscal 2010 to $19.9 billion and earnings per share grew 47% over the prior fiscal year to $6.34 per share diluted
    For all the talk of how RIM is falling behind, the sales definitely don't reflect it.
    This was rumored for months but sounded so crazy. Engadget points out that the PalyBook suddenly has 200,000 apps:

RIM adds Android app support to BlackBerry PlayBook via 'optional app player' -- Engadget

Suddenly the PlayBook has every app.

If RIM could take Android's open source and do this, could HP?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Suddenly the PlayBook has every app.

If RIM could take Android's open source and do this, could HP?
    As mentioned above, that would kill WebOS development. Besides, there's an aesthetic to the way WebOS apps look (and iOS apps, etc.). Android Apps wouldn't jive well. Don't forget about the Back, Home, Menu, and Search buttons on Android phones, that would just take up screen real estate on WebOS phones...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    There's fine print here: the apps have to be ported by the developer. A user can't just take an Android app from the web and throw it on the Playbook and expect it to work. Also, they must be Android 2.3 applications, which significantly reduces the number of Android apps available.
  6.    #6  
    We will all see how this will work when RIM demo Playbook running Android apps at there event in May.

Edit: The event it will be shown at is Blackberry World.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 03/25/2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's fine print here: the apps have to be ported by the developer. A user can't just take an Android app from the web and throw it on the Playbook and expect it to work. Also, they must be Android 2.3 applications, which significantly reduces the number of Android apps available.
    Yups. So much for 200,000 apps instantly available, huh?
    Well the Nook Color will be able to run android apps as well as flash too. A nook will have more apps than a touchpad.
    I don't see the big craze over apps. I have a couple on my phone that I use on a regular basis and the others are more of a novelty. All the good apps that are of quality on other platforms are on webos already. Now there are several that still haven't made it over but I believe that will change once HP can get their **** together and put new products on the market in a timely fashion.
    Here's Android Apps on PlayBook. It's pretty damn nice. I wish Playbook is little bit cheaper, I would've definately bought one for myself.

Android apps on PlayBook eyes-on (video) -- Engadget