1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

I wonder if Nokia has second thoughts about using Win software for their new line of Smartphones??? After reading this they may.

Take care,

Jay

Microsoft to Windows Phone owners: 'We can't guarantee anything'

By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | March 24, 2011, 8:10am PDT

Microsoft to Windows Phone owners: 'We can't guarantee anything' | ZDNet

Summary
    Prior to the release of Windows Phone 7, Microsoft made a lot of noises about things like updates that sounded to many like guarantees. Noises such as Microsoft would be handling the updates and not carriers, and that users would be getting a regular drip feed of updates and improvements. How times change when a product is released.

Prior to the release of Windows Phone 7, Microsoft made a lot of noises about things like updates that sounded to many like guarantees. Noises such as Microsoft would be handling the updates and not carriers, and that users would be getting a regular drip feed of updates and improvements. How times change when a product is released.

In an attempt to offer up some degree of transparency over the update fiasco that the Redmond giant has created for itself with Windows Phone, the company posted up charts outlining when WP owners in the US and internationally would be seeing their updates. The charts are somewhat vague and while not offering a timeline measured in geological terms, it does use the phrase ’several weeks’ at one point. But still, it’s something that should give WP handset owners hope. Right?

Maybe not.

Ars Technica’s Peter Bright asked Microsoft Windows Phone support a simple question via Twitter:

“Is there any guarantee that the carriers will authorize the update before the next one is released?”

Simple question, to which Bright got a simple answer:

“We can’t guarantee anything.”

There you have it folks. Microsoft didn’t sell you the handset (someone else did), and it’s not making you any promises beyond what you’ve already got. Microsoft’s not calling the shots with either the handset partners or carriers. Microsoft made the OS, sold an OEM license to manufacturers.

In other words, you get the updates if/when you get it.

End of story.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Android is not much different to be honest. See the Motorola fiasco I posted about several times, lol. However, WP7 isn't free and open source so MSFT could easily put it's foot down.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I wonder if Nokia has second thoughts about using Win software for their new line of Smartphones??? After reading this they may.
    Why do you think that?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Look on the bright side - at least they didn't promise something they couldn't deliver
    Actually they did and now they are washing their hands by putting it all on carriers. Thanks MSFT. You are big enough to have some muscle against any carrier juggernaut. How hard would it be to work with carriers to get upgrades out on time?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well i think what they are saying is related to this:
    Microsoft serves up a 'NoDo' update schedule for Windows Phone 7 devices -- Engadget

I guess MS doesn't have the current pull in the phone world that Apple has. Until MS is moving phones like Apple, the carriers won't give them special treatment.
    I find it hard to believe MSFT "can't" play hardball. We know very well that they can since they've done it before, though not in the mobile arena since they just used to make people buy new phones. They will wake up after ****ing off their end customers(consumers) so much that WP7 really does fall further.

Though i do wonder, just how much carrier involvement there is. I can't go off a short sentence off of twitter from some PRPRPR $or$ $social$ $media$ $employee$.

I can understand testing since you have multiple devices, but at the end of the day the bigger updates go through the Zune client. So maybe they are just making sure stuff doesn't break. (cough samsung phones cough)
    Is it ever a good idea to answer a question that begins with "can you guarantee?"
    haha good point.
    Well he could have answered better. Obviously there's no 100% guarantees, but he sounded like he was pushing everything off on the carriers. "Don't get mad at us, blame your carrier".

I forgot to mention that I found the Twitter page, it looks full of carrier excuses to me.

http://twitter.com/#!/WinPhoneSupport
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/24/2011 at 03:21 PM.

The only downside for carriers is they need to figure out how to nickle and dime you on the new firmware.

BTW, I was able to update a phone through it's microUSB card, so a program really wasn't needed. And people have bricked iPhones updating too. Nothing is 100%.

Add iOS on older devices. Gotta buy a new iPhone or iPod Touch. Features also denied on even the current OS. I'm also a bit worried that iPad 1 could get left out of the 5.0 upgrade because of only 256RAM, depending on how heavy 5.0 is.