Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Many people including myself did not expect HP to invest as heavily into the future of WebOS as they have. Putting WebOS on every PC and using it other devices like printers, phones and tablets is arguably a bigger push then Palm, HTC or any other company would have planned.

Not only does HP want all these devices to communicate with each other using WebOS but they want to leverage their cloud services which could mean all kinds of awesomeness for WebOS.
    Great Post!

Your post brings to mind their comment when they first bought Palm.
    They said something like; 'we didn't buy Palm to go into the SmartPhone business'.
    I remember the heat that flew around these parts when that was posted Front Page.
    Little did we know how big they want to take webOS.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The speakers are what doesn't work well.. Yes I've tried it.. Sold it.. And I keep coming back to the focus or quantum.. The speakers on the surround should be waaaaay better than they actually are..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    A demo I saw had the speakers loud and clear. What happened???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    A demo I saw had the speakers loud and clear. What happened???
    Through extended use , speakers end up producing slightly tinny occasionally crackly sound (hard to describe) they are decent for occasional music, but movies and heavy listening ... Meh... (IMHO.. Although could be the fact that my hearings' going, but I doubt it )

6 phones a year, and 6 tablets. So every single month they'll be launching something, and this is not including printers, watches, Car systems, TV's, PC's Laptops, Fridges, Home Media Centres, Smarthomes and just so many more things to slap webos on.

JUNE 6th 2011. The new start.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    HTC would've made next webOS phone to be extremely exciting. I'll bet tons of tech sites would've been talking about what HTC will bring next. Too bad it went to HP, extremely uninspired tech company. Sure they have tons of money, but they should just stick with whatever they were doing before and sticked with android like other company did. So sad.
    Imagine the tablet we would be getting. A single core 1.5 GHZ processor? Really, thats lame (sarcasm). Seriously though, I think HP getting Palm was the best thing for Palm because WebOS would have been lost in the middle of EVO's and DROID and thats assuming they don't drop WebOS all together. And would we have Touch To Share? Would we have the Pre 3? Would we even have WebOS?

And to HP's credit, we are all pretty sure Pre 3 started it's life before HP bought them out. So really we don't know what HP could be designing.
    It's nice to have faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's nice to have faith.
    Isn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Many people including myself did not expect HP to invest as heavily into the future of WebOS as they have. Putting WebOS on every PC and using it other devices like printers, phones and tablets is arguably a bigger push then Palm, HTC or any other company would have planned.

Not only does HP want all these devices to communicate with each other using WebOS but they want to leverage their cloud services which could mean all kinds of awesomeness for WebOS.
    Exactly. I doubt HTC would have wanted to fund the development of an ecosystem that would make webOS stand out from the other platforms. HP has been buying several different 'cloud services' companies over the past year or so. By putting webOS on their PCs, they will be able to offer those services with a common app to their customers no matter if they are using a PC, phone, tablet, printer, etc. HTC makes hardware to run the operating systems made by other companies. They don't have to worry about 'the ecosystem' for that OS. That's someone else's problem.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of HTC licensing webOS or being the manufacturer of future HP phones, though.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    nope HP is really invested in webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Exactly. I doubt HTC would have wanted to fund the development of an ecosystem that would make webOS stand out from the other platforms. HP has been buying several different 'cloud services' companies over the past year or so. By putting webOS on their PCs, they will be able to offer those services with a common app to their customers no matter if they are using a PC, phone, tablet, printer, etc. HTC makes hardware to run the operating systems made by other companies. They don't have to worry about 'the ecosystem' for that OS. That's someone else's problem.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of HTC licensing webOS or being the manufacturer of future HP phones, though.
    I second that as well!
    As many others have already said (in this thread and in pre-buyout speculation last year), HTC would probably have reduced webOS to a neutered shell of its former self, probably as a skin on top of Android. They certainly wouldn't have made webOS the centerpiece of their mobile strategy.

So, because I know HP is in this for the long haul, and because I'm not starstruck by the spec wars ... I'm glad HTC didn't buy Palm. webOS has a bright future with HP.
    Have you seen the screenshots of the new Evo View? They ripped off Card View just like WP7 and QNX... sigh...
    Back on (off?) topic of the Windows phones though, as a longtime Mac ****** I actually find myself gravitating to these phones more than any other mobile OS (other than webOS of course). Not sure why, but I feel like webOS and WP7 both manage to strike the balance between Android (open, and a mess), and iOS (closed, but beautiful and rock solid).
    Anyways...
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    As well as a mini-cell phone, two tablets, and an OS that will appear on millions upon millions of laptops, desktops, tablets, phones, printers, and anything else they mfg. It's going to make HTC seem like a fart in the wind in the grand scale of things. As HP already stated, their strategy is going to be much larger than just smartphones.
    and yet this is a website about smartphones/tablets...
  14.    #34  
    hp has been blah blahing for a year now about this vision and these grandiose plans. HTC releases a phone a month. Everyone I know has an android phone, that could have been webos. Somehow you guys think bigger = better. Remember windows mobile?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    hp has been blah blahing for a year now about this vision and these grandiose plans. HTC releases a phone a month. Everyone I know has an android phone, that could have been webos. Somehow you guys think bigger = better. Remember windows mobile?
    WebOS users should feel lucky IMO, not sad at the choice of HP. Now should Ruby have been kept on and put in charge of the mobility unit? That remains to be seen.
  16.    #36  
    Ruby should have been fired for that disastrous ad campaign alone...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    That's fine for the short term. But that also means that all HTC is doing is making flavors of the month, quickly replaced by the next new thing. You very well may still be right in the long term, but what HP is doing is TRYING to lay a foundation that will allow them to build a huge interconnected ecosystem.

Remember, HP's focus isn't on cell phones. They fell in love with the operating system (webos), not the cellphone (Pre/Pixi). Their desire isn't to keep pumping out the hottest new phone every month. They want to create decent, quality phones that will integrate with your work, home pc, tablet, etc.
    I don't like the idea of a foreign company buying up a domestic company to be honest. BUT HP has nothing to show. In it for the long haul? Yeah, so long they have no mobile products ready for any carriers except the useless Veer in May. In the meantime, everyone else is ready with their mobile products that actually excite people.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't like the idea of a foreign company buying up a domestic company to be honest. BUT HP has nothing to show. In it for the long haul? Yeah, so long they have no mobile products ready for any carriers except the useless Veer in May. In the meantime, everyone else is ready with their mobile products that actually excite people.
    What makes HP a domestic company?
    I thought they were formed and based here first. Did they start internationally first?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12