1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please go to the supplied link for photos.

Take care,

Jay

Samsung reboots tablet strategy and beats Apple on price

By Jason Hiner | March 23, 2011, 2:00am PDT

Samsung reboots tablet strategy and beats Apple on price | ZDNet

Samsung has changed its tablet strategy and this time the company has an approach that is a lot more competitive with the Apple iPad on price, form factor, and overall features. We’ll have to wait until we do a full review of the new Samsung devices to decide if the overall product experience approaches what Apple has to offer, but since the Samsung tablet doesn’t arrive until early summer and will be running Android 3.0, that gives Google time to repair the Honeycomb problems we saw in the Motorola Xoom and it gives developers time to write a lot more tablet-optimized apps for Android 3.0.

On Tuesday, Samsung announced its plans in Orlando at the CTIA Wireless conference — the wireless industry’s biggest event of the year — stealing the spotlight for day 1. The Samsung sign below greeted attendees on the first full day of the conference and foretold the company’s tablet strategy.

Samsung’s CTIA sign telegraphed its tablet strategy. That is… 7, 8.9, 10.

The Korean tech giant is switching to a three-headed tablet lineup. It will keep the 7-inch Galaxy Tab as its leadoff batter, but it’s realized a tablet that small only appeals to a niche audience. Plus, when Samsung released the Galaxy Tab last fall it priced it too high - roughly $100 more expensive than the entry-level iPad.

The two new tablets that Samsung announced at CTIA have nailed the price tag. One is an 8.9-inch model and the other is a 10.1-inch model and both are priced at or below the entry level iPad. The 8.9-inch is aimed at consumers and its Wi-Fi version starts at $469 for 16GB. The 10.1-inch tablet is aimed at enterprise business professionals and it starts at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi version.

At those prices, the Samsung devices could be the first tablets to siphon customers away from Apple. Samsung is the only other company right now that can compete with Apple in terms of designing and manufacturing most of the parts for its tablet, so it’s no surprise that it’s the first company to offer a comparable product to the iPad at a similar price. Samsung also has a strong consumer brand (from its TV business), a tablet form factor slightly thinner than the iPad, and an online store for purchasing books, music, and other types of media (to compete with iTunes).

The other smart thing that Samsung did with its tablets is to focus on the needs of business professionals — the unsung catalysts that have powered a lot of the iPad sales so far. In the 8.9 and 10.1 tablets, Samsung has included hardware encryption, Exchange ActiveSync, built-in Cisco VPN client, and integration with Citrix, Sybase, and SAP software. Those steps will go a long way toward making these tablets palatable to business pros and IT departments.

Naturally, it’s not all good new. The new Samsung tablets have a similar plastic body to the existing Galaxy Tab devices. Next to the metal iPad, the Samsung tablets feel cheaper and less substantial. Samsung has also chosen to layer its TouchWiz UI on top of Android Honeycomb. I think that’s a big mistake. In testing the software at CTIA, the tablet version of TouchWiz looks just as blocky and clumsy as the versions that run Samsung’s Android smartphones. The company would have been better off just sticking with stock Android — especially since so much UI work has already gone into Honeycomb.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    nice article.
    these tablets are very appealing.
    let's see if HPalm counters with a slightly redesigned TP.
    $30 for 1.2 inches and 8 GB more memory...... That makes zero sense to me. If, on a cold day in hell, I was going to get one of these..... I'd spend the extra $30.
    You don't get 8GB more memory, they're both 16GB. The price difference is for the screen size.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Tablets seem a different ballgame, at least for now. Consider the old 3G Galaxy Tab was the same price as the iPad 3G but smaller. Until they came down to earth and lowered the price to $500.

Also some people see price over anything else. Less than $500 but a sightly smaller screen? Ring it up anyway!! At least I think that's what Samsung is hoping for. Because that's what some people did with other Android tablets. They went for the cheaper alternatives.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't think you can say that a smaller pad beats Apple on price. That is as silly as saying a mid-sized car beats a full-sized car on price.
    Urg....you DO realize that Sammy just released a THINNER, higher spec'd tablet for $499 right? I've stated it many times before, more tablets in the market is BAD for Apple and now that Sammy has delivered the smashing uppercut to the chin of iP2, 2nd place is definitely looming in iP2's near future.

They only argument that can be mad about the GTab10 is the number of apps for 3.0 and that number is climbing daily. Apple has just lost their advantage...

Samsung unveils Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, 'world's thinnest' tablets | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews
    I thought he was talking about the $469 one.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Urg....you DO realize that Sammy just released a THINNER, higher spec'd tablet for $499 right? I've stated it many times before, more tablets in the market is BAD for Apple and now that Sammy has delivered the smashing uppercut to the chin of iP2, 2nd place is definitely looming in iP2's near future.

They only argument that can be mad about the GTab10 is the number of apps for 3.0 and that number is climbing daily. Apple has just lost their advantage...

Samsung unveils Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, 'world's thinnest' tablets | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews
    Will be interesting to see how the year turns out. Day 12 of iPad2 launch, at 5:55 AM roughly 150 to 200 people standing on line outside of the Fifth Avenue store in the cold, in the dark, in the rain.

One line at one store, in one city of numerous Bestbuys, ATTs, Verizons, Walmarts, Targets, and 4 Apple stores, multiplied by how many other Bestbuys, ATTs, Verizon, Walmarts, Targets, Apple stores in the US.

And 25 more cities going online Friday.

Not to mention this little tidbit:

Apple considering accepting price hikes to secure supply of touch panels, say Taiwan makers

Apple: The spice most flow, or in this case, the iPads, and damn the rest of the tablet makers LOL

Probably the only time you will see Apple flinch is when you see there profits affected. Right now Apple's profits, not revenue, is greater than HP and Dell combined. "They get to keep what they kill".

Will be real interesting.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/23/2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the year turns out. Day 12 of iPad2 launch, at 5:55 AM roughly 150 to 200 people standing on line outside of the Fifth Avenue store in the cold, in the dark, in the rain.
    Launching in 25 more countries this Friday. Moto Xoom is cutting back production. No one else has a new tablet on the market yet. Oh yes, like cobrakon says, Apple's doom is certainly imminent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Launching in 25 more countries this Friday. Moto Xoom is cutting back production. No one else has a new tablet on the market yet. Oh yes, like cobrakon says, Apple's doom is certainly imminent.
    Thank you for the correction. You are right, it's countries, not cities, which makes a great deal of difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yep, cause I said Apple was doomed...

Quote Originally Posted by ME
    ...2nd place is definitely looming in iP2's near future.

And, you know...iPhone is NOT in third place in marketshare. And you know, Apple is getting ready to cancel iPhone because it is failing. People are buying iPhones. Android phones have superior hardware to the iPhone and MORE people are buying Android phones than iPhones.

iPhone Flat in U.S. as Android Takes Market Share Lead: Apple News, Tips and Reviews

People are buying iPads. New Android pads have superior hardware to the iPad. MORE people will buy the Android pads than the iPads. (If just the people who currently have an Android phone buy an Android pad, that will be more than enough to 2nd place iPadX.

Logic = Win
    Logic = Win
    Yes it does. Which makes me wonder how 15+ companies combined, vying for market share with the Android platform, are somehow each doing better than the one company that makes up over 80% of the tablet market and pretty much matches those 15 Android companies in phone shipments. Is that what "Logic = Win" means? Sounds like "Logic = huh?" to me.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Apple's strategy is not to sell more, it's to make more profit. Cunning.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Yep, cause I said Apple was doomed...

And, you know...iPhone is NOT in third place in marketshare. And you know, Apple is getting ready to cancel iPhone because it is failing. People are buying iPhones. Android phones have superior hardware to the iPhone and MORE people are buying Android phones than iPhones.

iPhone Flat in U.S. as Android Takes Market Share Lead: Apple News, Tips and Reviews

People are buying iPads. New Android pads have superior hardware to the iPad. MORE people will buy the Android pads than the iPads. (If just the people who currently have an Android phone buy an Android pad, that will be more than enough to 2nd place iPadX.

Logic = Win
    Logic = Win LOL Kinda getting ahead of yourself LOL

I wish Samsung and HP the best. I will buy the HP touchpad (probably the Opal to compliment my ipad 2:)) over the Sammy though. HP will have a setup similar to Apple, which is preferable.

You brought up an interesting note, 1st, 2nd & 3rd. When I buy into new products it's not based on market leadership, it's based on support/environment and future potential.
    Thus no first gen iPhone, playstation or xbox for me. So if iPhone/iPad drop to third I'm good as long as the ecosystem is strong. When I start to see other platforms getting better apps and none in sight for IOS, then I'll consider ditching. Not a fan of company loyality, just the tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Apple's strategy is not to sell more, it's to make more profit. Cunning.
    Those sneaky, cheatin' Cupertinans!
    Glad they are going to beat Apple in price (good for competition) but that wouldn't change my thoughts on Android. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still buy an Ipad vs any Android tablet. Android is the deal breaker for me, not price.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Galaxy is .2mm thinner than the ipad2. I wonder how it will compare in battery life. What kind of screen does the Galaxy use?