Dell has one of the best marketing and inventory management systems. This allows them to turn inventory around in a 1 to 4 day cycle. Nothing sitting on shelves eating up the bottom line.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the PDA market. My guess is that it will blow it wide open with price reductions.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I wonder if things are poised for a new wave in the PDA market?

The prices to features ratio seems to be getting better and better- just like it did for VCRs and other devices before they became virtually a household standard.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Originally posted by Toby
    Interesting, but personally, I'm more curious for details about this Sharp clamshell.
    This is the first PDA I've actually gotten excited about since the introduction of the VDx. I may actually have to buy this one when they first come out (well, if I don't upgrade to a Powerbook first, that is ).
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    This is the first PDA I've actually gotten excited about since the introduction of the VDx. I may actually have to buy this one when they first come out (well, if I don't upgrade to a Powerbook first, that is ).
    Just based on the pics, or do you have more info? Do tell.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    This is on the last paragraph of Toby's linked article:

It is the presently the PDA itself does not sell excessively but, foreboding of the product which can become the detonating agent does.
    Originally posted by Toby
    Just based on the pics, or do you have more info? Do tell.
    I probably don't know much more than you do, but here it goes....

When I was looking around for a new PDA recently, I seriously considered a Zaurus. The amount of software available for it was phenomenal, and some of the apps were far better than those available on the Palm (the email apps were great!). Real networking capabilities (as opposed to just sync) were another thing I loved about it. However, I couldn't get over the form factor, the sliding portion to reveal the keyboard, the keyboard (I've come to hate the thumbboards), etc, but thought that it would be great in a micro-notebook form factor.

There have been rumours about a new Zaurus for months that was going to have the same software as the 5500 (?), but on an XScale processor. It wasn't until I saw the pictures that I realized they implemented the form factor!

The pictures did confirm a number of things in terms of peripheral support, including that they still have an SD and a CF slot, so the CF 802.11b cards will still work, as will MicroDrives, modems, etc. Didn't anticipate the swivel screen and high density LCD, though. Nice touch!

Now all I'd like to see is a significant improvement in battery life (the SL5500 only lasts about 3 hours before requiring a recharge). If I can run one continuously for a day without a recharge, it might just be worth it.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    [...] When I was looking around for a new PDA recently, I seriously considered a Zaurus.
    I hadn't seriously considered the Zaurus yet mostly for the reasons you mention subsequently, but also for the software that _isn't_.
    The amount of software available for it was phenomenal, and some of the apps were far better than those available on the Palm (the email apps were great!). Real networking capabilities (as opposed to just sync) were another thing I loved about it.
    That's the most intriguing part of this for me is the networking capabilities combined with the dual standard slots.
    However, I couldn't get over the form factor, the sliding portion to reveal the keyboard, the keyboard (I've come to hate the thumbboards), etc, but thought that it would be great in a micro-notebook form factor.

There have been rumours about a new Zaurus for months that was going to have the same software as the 5500 (?), but on an XScale processor. It wasn't until I saw the pictures that I realized they implemented the form factor!

The pictures did confirm a number of things in terms of peripheral support, including that they still have an SD and a CF slot, so the CF 802.11b cards will still work, as will MicroDrives, modems, etc. Didn't anticipate the swivel screen and high density LCD, though. Nice touch!
    Yep, I think they did the clamshell right on this one. I can actually justify one of those for work.
    Now all I'd like to see is a significant improvement in battery life (the SL5500 only lasts about 3 hours before requiring a recharge). If I can run one continuously for a day without a recharge, it might just be worth it.
    Yep, battery life is the only thing that gives me pause from saying that this will be my next PDA.
    Dell + PPC? what is the the matter with that?
    I'd Rather be Diving.......(with my PDA of course)

Check out my forum @ http://groups.msn.com/PDAPocketPCForum
  10.    #11  
    Dell was built around two concepts. First, doing things cheap. Second, and perhaps part and parcel to the first, customizing products. I wonder if they are going to take the same approach (customization) with PPCs. I'm not really seeing how such customization can occur in such a device, though.