1.    #1  
    Hi all,

A sale date has been announced by Rim!

Take care,

Jay

RIM's Playbook to Go on Sale April 19 in N.AmericaBy REUTERS, March 22, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

TORONTO (Reuters) - Research In Motion's long-awaited tablet, the BlackBerry PlayBook, will go on sale in the United States and Canada on April 19 at a base price of $499.

RIM said on Tuesday it plans to sell the PlayBook through retailers and wireless carriers including Best Buy, AT&T, Verizon, Radioshack, Sears Canada and Wal-Mart.

The company's news release did not set a date for the launch but Best Buy in its own statement said it has already begun accepting pre-orders for the device and would begin selling it on April 19.

The Wi-Fi-enabled PlayBook, which will compete against Apple's iPad, will come in 16 gigabyte, 32 gigabyte and 64 gigabyte versions priced at $499, $599 and $699 respectively.

RIM announced plans to launch the long-awaited device, with a seven-inch screen, in 2010. The tablet will be able to stream a high-definition video to a television screen via a HDMI cable, while allowing users to run other applications at the same time.

(Reporting by Euan Rocha in Toronto and Arup Roychoudhury in Bangalore; Editing by Frank McGurty)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's depressing when the company people on here are rooting for can't even mention a proper release date but everyone else can with no problem.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    rimm is about to teach the world about cards and multitasking. hp will be seen as a "me too" company
    Sorry but that Playbook looks flat out terrible. It's not appealing at all. I'd rather have nothing at all than the Playbook.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I pre-ordered today a Playbook from Staples with expected delivery is on 4/11/11. Can't wait to play with it.
    Mine will hopefully be on it's way soon. I got one for free because of RIM's 'Develop a PlayBook app and get a free PlayBook' program.

I'm actually quite excited about this tablet. I love the 7'' form factor and it takes web apps just like WebOS. Apps are fairly easy to port back and forth. I ported Screamager to the PlayBook with no problems. In fact it resulted in full blown 2.0 version which is of course already backported to WebOS

Here's . I plan to release it on the TouchPad as well when the time comes.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Multi-tasking cards, gestures, hdmi, rear camera, huge app capabilities between android and playbook specific apps, and with a launch date, prices, and carrier information announced. I can't deny its a tempting product.
    A downside is the extremely fragmented nature of the PlayBook app universe (besides not many apps being available yet). RIM's biggest mistake in my opinion was to not set a de-facto UI standard like Apple and Palm/HP have done. There will be a large amount of **** ugly apps and a lot of apps will have all sorts of different user interfaces.

That said, the PlayBook is a really powerful piece of hardware so if good apps come out on it it can definitely be a successful product. I hope RIM will manage to get official versions of all the important apps on the device. (Facebook, Skype, Twitter, FourSquare etc. just to mention a few)
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD