Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    WP7 doesn't have pandora and won't be getting it so that's a dealbreaker. I've amassed thousands of likes/dislikes I just can't part with.
    Quote Originally Posted by gravyhead View Post
    Been here since day one. LOVE webOS, but it just can't compete any longer. It was a good run...

This summer, I'm out.
    Wow!
    Your first post.
    What took you so long?
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I am looking forward to getting the evo 3d. Love the fact there is switch to turn it on or off. For 6 months now the evo has been the most solid device i have ever owned so evo has a fan for life. If hp/palm announced a 3D device, it would be tabbed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now this is superphone.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    I held out on my Pre minus for the longest time. I wrote code, ported Linux libraries for the wonderful folks at WebOS Internals. But now, I'm on an Evo 4G. And I will be jumping all over the Evo 3D the second it is available for pre-order. I plotted my ways well - bought my phone aftermarket/off contract so that when this day came I would have total freedom to upgrade (I could even flip this phone and end up with a "free" upgrade essentially).

I'm still a big fan of WebOS. In my opinion, it's going to take at least another year for HP to get its act and ecosystem in order to the point where it becomes a truly viable competitor. I'm certainly not going to be sitting around waiting until then. The Pre3 is still extremely alluring to me because of its world phone status, but this current Evo is all kinds of awesome by itself. Everyday I keep wondering how it is that I managed to wait so long before picking up one of these bad boys. And ... mark my words, one year from now, all the people who are dismissing 3D phones as a "gimmick" will be eating their words, when all of a sudden everybody is busy shooting 3D videos of themselves and their friends and uploading them to YouTube.

Are you paying attention, HP? The way to organically build a customer base is to empower your users to create groundbreaking, compelling content for themselves. HTC has just done that, and they will be reaping the rewards. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    ...i simply lost interest.
    Me too.

When I originally bought the Pre+, the only other phone that did anything for me was the original Droid. It looked like a calculator my dad kept in the car back in the 70’s to calculate mileage and it did little for me.

Go look at the options in the phone store today and there are a lot to choose from. Even though I have a soft spot for the Pre, I must say I was almost surprised when browsing down the wall and I came upon the Pre2. It was just so out of place (It didn’t help that they had that big, glued on lo-jack connector attached to the front of the screen so they could “show off” the touchstone functionality.)

I don’t exactly fault HP. Assimilating a 1 billion dollar company takes time. But the reality is that they needed to have the pre3, a 4.3" slab (with LTE/wimax) and a 4” horizontal slider in the stores right now.

In any case, for anyone that doesn’t see the writing on the wall… Well, literally just look at the writing on the wall. Look at the news from the last couple days that is on the front page of Precentral then look at the news from the last couple days that is on the first three pages of Androidcentral… Pretty straightforward.

If you love the basic functionality of WebOS more than anything else, hat’s off to you. Really, more power to you. But in the era of 1 to 2 yr contracts, I just don’t see a compelling reason to stick with WebOS this cycle. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that WebOS is a “sinking ship,” HP is a big company with a lot of firepower available if they really want to use it, but I would say that the only thing going on in this cycle is “bailing.” I've bailed a boat before, it's no fun.

-Suntan
    I'm part of an apparently insane category of people who don't really care about 3D movies/tv/phone/whatevers.. I look for value and appreciate good design and things that just work. The Evo 3D looks to be a great gee-whiz phone, but really is not intended for me.

And to keep this from being a total throwaway post - here is a link to the HTC press release showing the official specs:
    HTC Press Release - Read the Latest HTC Mobile Phone News
    I appreciate basic functionality too. 3 touchtones including one in the car with custom bluetooth setup makes the everday with this phone a joy to use. Multi tasking pandora, spaz and web all day at my desk at work in the way I do it cannot be done on any other os. And the notifications are so good I look forward to getting them, but lets face it, that's all webos has going for it. When loyal users demand more (apps, hardware, excitement, friend envy) then they will leave webos, it's just a matter of time and we will all get there eventually. I think I'm there. My next device will be an android of some sort....
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    What was your first clue? That they specifically said they are preparing for a "marathon", not a "sprint"?

They will ship 100 million webOS devices soon, no matter how "spectacular" the specs of current and near-term smartphones and tablets are. There is no urgency.

I say yawn, rather spend the money on a 3DS that does all those things and more than likely will cost the same as this thing will on-contract, and I don't have to get a contract for a 3DS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I will end up buying a 3DS, but waiting for the new editions that will come and be cheaper. But look at what the 3DS can do with augmentative reality and the simple fun games. Then imagine the EVO3D doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Yeah. Wow. Cool for a bit sure, but then what happens when you upload it to your PC? Me thinks 3D go bye-bye.

I think some here don't understand that progress is not always a good thing. Sometimes it happens to fast and makes a mess of things. Measured progress with features people really need is more important. This is just a gimmick phone. The Evo 3D is still an Evo. A big a** ugly brick. For me, the Pre 3 is pushing the size boundaries. Any bigger and I wouldn't consider it. People get all caught up in these wiz-bang features because they can show their friends how cool they are.
    I usually keep my photo's on my phone anyway. My wife generally doesn't, though, but it can do more then just photo's. Just look at what the 3DS can do and then you'll begin to imagine what the EVO3D can do. And I understand you think the EVO is an ugly device, but that clearly is not fact but opinion because I think the EVO 4G and EVO3D look cool. But I do prefer the Pre 3 over the EVO3D. But I may not get the chance to choose if Pre 3 doesn't come to Sprint.
    its a nice looking device and im pretty sure, like almost 100 percent sure, you dont have to have 3d on at all times and the nexus s is a great looking device too i wanted a htc arrive but with the last years specs its looking old compared to the Evo 3d thats fursure. but wp7 is the next best bet to webos imo never been a big fan of android ever since using the pre, but its a capable os lots of functionality and what not, but to clunky and choppy its getting there tho. i say android 3.0 will be when i aleast consider a android device not now tho ill stick with webos or wp7.
    I wonder what the battery hit is with 3D enabled. I saw some real world battery tests for the 3DS and that thing gets destroyed when you have the 3D slider all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    IAnd ... mark my words, one year from now, all the people who are dismissing 3D phones as a "gimmick" will be eating their words, when all of a sudden everybody is busy shooting 3D videos of themselves and their friends and uploading them to YouTube.
    That's assuming viewers have a device (computer monitor or 3D phone) that supports the format. Not likely in a year...at least for the vast majority of viewers. Pretty sure we're only talking single digit percentages a year from now.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post

And to keep this from being a total throwaway post - here is a link to the HTC press release showing the official specs:
    HTC Press Release - Read the Latest HTC Mobile Phone News
    Sprint also has the specs on it page:

Sprint - HTC EVO 3D
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    right .. because.. spendin more money to buy a regular smartphone & a 3ds is a great way to prove a point -_-
    Not to prove a point... -_-

To save money. Why buy a gimmick phone when you can get a system dedicated to 3D?
    To save money. Why buy a gimmick phone when you can get a system dedicated to 3D?
    For someone looking to get a new phone, paying $200 on contract for just the phone will always be less than paying $200 + the cost of the 3DS.

That said, this line of arguing is rather silly. To anyone objectively measuring the announcement, the EVO 3D is an impressive phone even if a person were never planning to make use of the 3D capabilities.

If a 4+” slab phone isn’t your thing, that’s cool. But there’s no denying that the EVO 3D is more than “just a gimmick.”

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    For someone looking to get a new phone, paying $200 on contract for just the phone will always be less than paying $200 + the cost of the 3DS.

That said, this line of arguing is rather silly. To anyone objectively measuring the announcement, the EVO 3D is an impressive phone even if a person were never planning to make use of the 3D capabilities.

If a 4+” slab phone isn’t your thing, that’s cool. But there’s no denying that the EVO 3D is more than “just a gimmick.”
    Spot on. Even if you ignore the 3D functionality, the EVO 3D is one hell of a phone.

Besides, who wants to carry two devices around?
    ahhh.. Just think.. This summer I can finally have a phone where just about everything I want is available at launch instead of " In The Coming Months "

sn: lol just had to say that
  16.    #76  
    OP here - contract price wise, it would be foolish to NOT get a 4G device on Sprint due to the "premium data" $10 charge for all data plans on smartphones. This was originally only applied to 4G phones, but as of Jan 30 all smartphones data plans now cost 10 bucks more.

I can see this as being a moot point for those not in wimax areas, but for me in Los Angeles, it's a no brainer to go 4G.
    What was your first clue? That they specifically said they are preparing for a "marathon", not a "sprint"?

They will ship 100 million webOS devices soon, no matter how "spectacular" the specs of current and near-term smartphones and tablets are. There is no urgency.
    Are you kidding me NO URGENCY?! Im sorry you are royally mistaken. Hp may be doing a supposed "marathon" but what good is running a marathon when NO ONE IS WATCHING IT AND THEIR WILL BE NO ONE AT THE FINISH LINE.

That is the reality. Phones and tablets should have been in the hands of its dedicated and fustrated followers (including me) YESTERDAY.

WP7 has more quality apps then we do and that OS is still in its infancy. The floodgates need to open fast and excite the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Haunting words for sure. It's almost as if this is HP's tag line when it comes to webOS and small mobile devices.

It was also Ed Colligan's viewpoint when the iPhone was first announced.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    WP7 doesn't have pandora and won't be getting it so that's a dealbreaker. I've amassed thousands of likes/dislikes I just can't part with.
    You know i actually prefer slacker over pandora. Have you tried it yet?
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I am not excited about Android BUT I wish that I would have got the Evo with my one year renewal instead of sticking with the original Pre thinking that their next phone would be out by now...and better.

I am leaning towards the EVO 3D and I will wait to see how the Pre 3 is received. If it does well I am betting that they will have another WebOS phone releasing when my one year date is up again (I have been with sprint for 10 years) and I'll switch back.

If they both were releasing around the same time I would wait until after they both released to decide.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast