Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Personally, I agree that 3D is dumb on a phone, but honestly guys, if that is the one and only thing you want to pick out and use as a reason to bash Android... Well I think you're losing the forest for the trees.

Android is on a roll and HP is treading water (and Palm is dead and buried so stop with the dorky HPalm...) I'd really like to come back to a compelling webos phone in 2 years, but honestly I don't see HP putting the resources into getting the *consumer* level apps filled out to compete.

-Suntan
    webOS' anemic App Catalog hurts but phones like the EVO 3D and the Atrix are showing just how far behind HP is. When you look at what HTC and Motorola are doing, you see forward thinking features on cutting-edge design. Meanwhile, HP is going to try to sell...another Pre in a few months.
    Ironic considering the identity crisis that the various Pres all have...

Don't get me wrong, I like the pre and I think the pre3 is a compelling handset that is on schedule to be competitive when it comes out. But its form and name carryover is not going to help it get many new purchasers.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Might wanna try designing a phone that looks a little different while your at it, everything has looked the same since the HD2.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild

Android handset makers have no way of differentiating now that everyones got their big screen specced out phones. They are reverting to useless gimmicks to try and attract attention. Come back when you add some actual useful features, HTC.
    So what useful features are missing from the current crop of smartphones?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild

Might wanna try designing a phone that looks a little different while your at it, everything has looked the same since the HD2.
    i no rite

I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    I am just tired of this tight lipped bull**** HP is pulling. They obviously just do not sense the urgency. After watching sprint just own CTIA i just wish HP would have been in on those announcements too.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I saw the live feed of the event and then hands on with both the tablet and phone after. Have to say they both look pretty sweet. HTC really raised the bar on high-end comsumer phones today. But I think its clear that is not the market HP is going after. They want a nice, quality, stable device that business and goverment departments will buy in the hundreds and thousands. The people that make those purchases are not looking for the latest specs. Indeed, they don't want an "ecosytem" that is constantly changing like android is right now or something that is going to be updated constantly. They want something that gets the job done at an afordable price and that will be around long enough to justify the purchase. Thats one reason BB did so well for so long. Their devices were for a long time, in many respects, dull and behind what others had but they did what the IT departments wanted, were secure and reliable and didnt needed to be upgraded every 6 months.
    ...and lets not forget about webos in your laptop,desktop,printer,etc. now that is something way beyond any 3d screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    Technically, you may be right about "last year specs", but bear in mind that that is the reference platform for all of Windows Phone, so every developer is optimizing his apps for that hardware and the entire OS is GPU enabled from the jump. So the Arrive should stay fast and smooth as if it were "this year's specs" for the life of the 2-year contract.
    That is why it is a minor disappointment. If the phone looks nice and has a solid OS and has the core apps that work well (browser and email and music) I will get it. In fact, slap Windows Phone 7 on an EVO3D and it's mine. I just don't like the design .

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Yawn. A 3D phone (twirling my finger). The tech is cool, but really, who needs you phone to be 3D? Tablet...maybe, but not necessary. From my experience, most 3D displays start to give you eye strain after a while, so I can imagine staring at a smaller 3D screen would strain the eyes somewhat after a while. Of course, not everyone gets eye strain, so to each his own.

It's still an Android phone, and, quite frankly, it's another ugly brick (especially the back of the phone).

I love high tech, but this whole one-up every 3 months amongst Android phones is getting ridiculous. For me, the most important thing is whether or not the phone does the core basics, and does them well, and how quick and easy it is to get things done on the phone. Android just doesn't suit me. Apple is too limiting. As is Windows 7 and BB. That's why I'm sticking with webOS until they pour the dirt on it, and erect a monument...and my phone dies.

Not only does it allow you to watch 3D movies but it allows you to play 3D games. Allows you to shoot in 720p with 3D AND take 3D pictures. Imagine taking a picture of your cute kids in 3D! I think it be cool! So I don't yawn I say cool!
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    breaks my heart but I might have to switch...my pre minus is on its last leg and I am tired of waiting...and settling...I don't think the Pre 3 did enough for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Srycantthnk View Post
    I am just tired of this tight lipped bull**** HP is pulling. They obviously just do not sense the urgency. After watching sprint just own CTIA i just wish HP would have been in on those announcements too.
    What was your first clue? That they specifically said they are preparing for a "marathon", not a "sprint"?

They will ship 100 million webOS devices soon, no matter how "spectacular" the specs of current and near-term smartphones and tablets are. There is no urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Not only does it allow you to watch 3D movies but it allows you to play 3D games. Allows you to shoot in 720p with 3D AND take 3D pictures. Imagine taking a picture of your cute kids in 3D! I think it be cool! So I don't yawn I say cool!
    I say yawn, rather spend the money on a 3DS that does all those things and more than likely will cost the same as this thing will on-contract, and I don't have to get a contract for a 3DS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    So what useful features are missing from the current crop of smartphones?

i no rite

How many phones does htc come out with a year? More android look alikes per month than total webos phones ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Yeah. Wow. Cool for a bit sure, but then what happens when you upload it to your PC? Me thinks 3D go bye-bye.

I think some here don't understand that progress is not always a good thing. Sometimes it happens to fast and makes a mess of things. Measured progress with features people really need is more important. This is just a gimmick phone. The Evo 3D is still an Evo. A big a** ugly brick. For me, the Pre 3 is pushing the size boundaries. Any bigger and I wouldn't consider it. People get all caught up in these wiz-bang features because they can show their friends how cool they are.

Me? I only care about what I can do with the phone, and what I need to do, I can already do with my Pre+. There are a few features of webOS 2.x that I wouldn't mind having, and will get one way or the other, but all these other "wow" apps that Android and iPhone users gush over are just apps that I don't need and would probably play with for about a day and never open again. Just like the 3D. I would probably play with the feature for a few days, then get tired of it. So why does my phone "need" a feature that serves no real need?

Now, being able to synergistically share my information between PC, phone, and tablet...being able to quickly swipe through open apps and deal with unobtrusive notifications...being able to one hand type without staring at the keyboard...being able to put my phone down on a touchstone and not have to connect a cable to it...THESE are features that are more than "oohhh...ahhhh!!" features. These are features that actually impact your daily life and use of the device. Hence my lack of any desire to sport an Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    There is no urgency.
    Haunting words for sure. It's almost as if this is HP's tag line when it comes to webOS and small mobile devices.

It was also Ed Colligan's viewpoint when the iPhone was first announced.

I say yawn, rather spend the money on a 3DS that does all those things and more than likely will cost the same as this thing will on-contract, and I don't have to get a contract for a 3DS.
    right .. because.. spendin more money to buy a regular smartphone & a 3ds is a great way to prove a point -_-

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    How many phones does htc come out with a year? More android look alikes per month than total webos phones ever.
    lol I like that... No .. point is every webos phone (not including the pixi) looks exactly the same... Don't matter how many more android phones get put out... Webos is still in the same boat when it comes to the form factor debate
    Last edited by mindonmillions08; 03/23/2011 at 07:37 AM.
    What was your first clue? That they specifically said they are preparing for a "marathon", not a "sprint"?

They will ship 100 million webOS devices soon, no matter how "spectacular" the specs of current and near-term smartphones and tablets are. There is no urgency.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, I know that HP is going to put webOS on their Laptop and desktop, just like all the bloatware. I am still not convinced this idea. I can't really see how it's going to help webOS. It will be ignored by 95% of user, and few will use it few times, and rest will reformat the HD and installed the fresh windows.
    3D sounds trivial but it's going to blow new app development wide open. All you suckers who get a Pre3 will be embarrassed by the junk phone you have while all your friends will be showing off their mind-blowing 3D phones.

I have 4 Pre minus phones and I have been a die-hard fan until now. HP wants to be the provider of boring, dependable, and easy to integrate phones, tablets, netbooks, etc. that corporate technology officers can dole out to their corporate employees.

Using a car analogy, they will be the fleet cars of tomorrow.

WebOS once stood for freedom. Now it is the poster child for restraint. Get used to it.

RIP WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruth09 View Post
    I made the decision a couple weeks ago to start looking into switching from webos to something different. I landed on android and have been trying to figure out what phone to switch to. It was between the nexus s 4g and the evo 3d. Today's announcement made up my mind. I'm gonna have to say good bye to webos for now. Maybe in 2 years hp will put out a phone that really makes me exited but until then Ill be enjoying the hd video capture and all the good things duel core brings me.
    +1
    I can't believe I'm agreeing but I'm probably going the same way.
    The Evo 3D looks awesome and the Nexus S looks pretty cool too.
    HP's going to lose a ton of original Pre owners to Android, if it hasn't already.
    I'm a little sad about it but HP/Palm has no one to blame but itself.
    Six weeks after the big show and still no carrier announcements, release dates, prices, nothing.
    App store continues to stagnate, passed by WP7.
    It's a damn shame.
    I am looking forward to getting the evo 3d. Love the fact there is switch to turn it on or off. For 6 months now the evo has been the most solid device i have ever owned so evo has a fan for life. If hp/palm announced a 3D device, it would be tabbed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now this is superphone.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    I agree, wish I could get this but still gotta wait another year for my next upgrade . Oh well I'm fine with my shift for now

Sent from my EVO Shift
    just so people are clear. The 3D effect only kicks in with media/games that are in 3D. Otherwise its a normal 2D screen.

You can also output 3D media on a 3D tv.

If i wasn't getting another android device, it would be a windows phone 7 device....There is very little that has excited me about the future of WebOS....the tablet being the most exciting...but the new phones? Until they show me something that is as fast or smooth as WP7/iPhone or as functional and powerful as an Android device...i simply lost interest.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Been here since day one. LOVE webOS, but it just can't compete any longer. It was a good run...

This summer, I'm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    3D sounds trivial but it's going to blow new app development wide open. All you suckers who get a Pre3 will be embarrassed by the junk phone you have while all your friends will be showing off their mind-blowing 3D phones.

I have 4 Pre minus phones and I have been a die-hard fan until now. HP wants to be the provider of boring, dependable, and easy to integrate phones, tablets, netbooks, etc. that corporate technology officers can dole out to their corporate employees.

Using a car analogy, they will be the fleet cars of tomorrow.

WebOS once stood for freedom. Now it is the poster child for restraint. Get used to it.

RIP WebOS.
    wow, a scathing rebuke of the pre3. I coudlnt agree more. as much as I value the multi tasking and notifications on webos, I'd be a damn fool to get suckered into another webos phone right now. I can get used to another os (which is getting better every year) but I can no longer tolerate all of webos's shortcomings....and lets not talk about the lag...
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast