Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Thanked for your funny first sentence.

I agree about user experience and webOS is an absolute joy to use. Friends are still awed by how easy I navigate my phone. But... that's all webOS has going for it...

...I leave the door open to come back to webOS in a couple of years, because it just may be as great as the other platforms by then.
    Pretty much sums it up for me too.

With this complete dearth of information about anything going on in HP-land, Iíve been educating myself on android, even played with a few of them at the local Verizon store.

Turns out theyíre not bad at all from a usability standpoint (just different.) Feature selection (hardware and software) wise there is no comparison.

Although I still havenít made up my mind, when all the points are tallied, I see the Pre3 at best on parity with the current Android devices. Only it wonít be available for months yet.

-Suntan
    I'd take the LTE + WiMax bit with a grain of salt... Along with a few other specs that are only referenced in that particular thread, along with the highly optimistic June launch date. I'm skeptical of anything said by someone that feels the need to sign their posts with:

VP of one company/Chairman of another company/Fellow of IEEE/Phd. Mathematics /Phd. Computer Science /Phd. Plasma Physics /US Naval Pilot (5 Tours in Afghanistan and Iraq)
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    I honestly would rather have the HTC Arrive. I like having some sort of hardware QWERTY and I like Windows Phone 7. Played with one in the Sprint store. Was super smooth, and the new version of IE is really, really good. Main things it's missing (for now) is text resizing like Evo and Flash/Silverlight/HTML5. But almost all of that should be in the Mango update later this year.
    I actually would consider the HTC Arrive if it wasn't for the fact that one: the specs are last year (minor point) and two The design does not look appealing to me (major point). I also am not a fan of HTC keyboards. Samsung makes the best keyboards in my opinion. But I am sure it be a good phone -- having last year specs is not a bad thing (look at the Nexus S 4G -- last year specs, but still fast and powerful). But I have to have a phone that I like and looks cool.

That so far is the Nexus S, EVO3D and Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I made the decision a couple weeks ago to start looking into switching from webos to something different. I landed on android and have been trying to figure out what phone to switch to. It was between the nexus s 4g and the evo 3d. Today's announcement made up my mind. I'm gonna have to say good bye to webos for now. Maybe in 2 years hp will put out a phone that really makes me exited but until then Ill be enjoying the hd video capture and all the good things duel core brings me.
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
    I'm in no rush. The Evo 3D looks nice but it really needs lots of work (even today's Android OS on the Evo 3D was locking up and needed resetting). In all fairness though, that's probably why the Evo 3D isn't available until the summer.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I just want the nexus cause you wont have to deal with carrier update bs. Its unmolested version of gingerbread too, none of the added shat.
    I'm torn now. I want to keep with webos but I'm warming up to having to use an android device. My wife's pre bit the dust and she has been using the Evo. She still gets frustrated by the interface, but loves what the phone can offer. Android to me looks cluttered, cumbersome and actually a little boring, but it's getting more attractive everyday. I guess it's safe to say I'll be sporting a Pre 3, Nexus s 4g or an Evo 3d this summer. I still prefer a pre 3, but these other phones won't have me crying for long it seems.
    I actually Just got an EVO from ebay BECUASE of the EVO 3D.

I agree the new phone is a beast but I am not willing to give my phone upgrade away without giving WebOS a chance.

Had to get a phone because my Pre is starting to randomly shutdown (tried paper trick, and 3 batteries).

My upgrade credit is going to WebOS as long as we get something by the end of summer.
    Yawn. A 3D phone (twirling my finger). The tech is cool, but really, who needs you phone to be 3D? Tablet...maybe, but not necessary. From my experience, most 3D displays start to give you eye strain after a while, so I can imagine staring at a smaller 3D screen would strain the eyes somewhat after a while. Of course, not everyone gets eye strain, so to each his own.

It's still an Android phone, and, quite frankly, it's another ugly brick (especially the back of the phone).

I love high tech, but this whole one-up every 3 months amongst Android phones is getting ridiculous. For me, the most important thing is whether or not the phone does the core basics, and does them well, and how quick and easy it is to get things done on the phone. Android just doesn't suit me. Apple is too limiting. As is Windows 7 and BB. That's why I'm sticking with webOS until they pour the dirt on it, and erect a monument...and my phone dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Yawn. A 3D phone (twirling my finger). The tech is cool, but really, who needs you phone to be 3D? Tablet...maybe, but not necessary. From my experience, most 3D displays start to give you eye strain after a while, so I can imagine staring at a smaller 3D screen would strain the eyes somewhat after a while. Of course, not everyone gets eye strain, so to each his own.

It's still an Android phone, and, quite frankly, it's another ugly brick (especially the back of the phone).

I love high tech, but this whole one-up every 3 months amongst Android phones is getting ridiculous. For me, the most important thing is whether or not the phone does the core basics, and does them well, and how quick and easy it is to get things done on the phone. Android just doesn't suit me. Apple is too limiting. As is Windows 7 and BB. That's why I'm sticking with webOS until they pour the dirt on it, and erect a monument...and my phone dies.
    ok.

Btw, the Evo was announced a year ago, to many owners this is their next phone. Just because android has tons of options doesn't mean people are upgrading to every new one. A lot of people have mentioned that they don't care for 3D which is fine, seeing as you never have to look at 3D if you really wanted to...but other than that this is a solid upgrade for those who are ready to upgrade.
    Arguing against innovation and progress just seems like such an untenable position to me.

The EVO 3D is easily the most exciting phone I've seen since the iPhone 4. Do people need 3D? Maybe not...but it's going to enable all sorts of products and services we don't even think is possible today.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    after seeing the evo 3D I'm not so sure I'm going to get the Pre3. I still haven't decided, but if I go with the Evo i'll definitely see what HP comes up with next and hopefully not 2 steps behind the competition
    If it's from hp phone who made 3d phone, you probably drooled all over this phone. This is just like some of you claiming that I don't need all those apps in android and iOS because I only use browser, and email.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Sure, it's ok to focus on user experience and ignore specs. As long as you're going to use only the OS and the apps that came with it/were available at launch. Once devs really get to the meat of developing for phones with beefier specs however...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    this who concept of puttin the evo 3d down bcuz you hate 3d is gettin real old real fast .. Truth is it's a great phone yu can't deny that if yu tried... I'm sure it was some person somewhere that felt the same way about hdtv's and blue ray dvd's .. Yu see how that turned out right? No offense to any1 but if yu don't like it don't get it.. Don't come here cryin about it
    I've been eligible to upgrade since October but have held off hoping for the next latest and greatest from HP/Palm. My Pre is slowly dieing and I don't want to replace it for the seventh time. The Pre 3 looks nice but HP hasn't even confirmed if it's coming out for Sprint. HP actually hasn't given me any reason to stick around since they discontinued support for the Palm Pre without offering a new phone for Sprint customers.

The Evo3D is a beast of a phone and will probably be the phone I replace my Pre with. I'll just really miss all of my Touchstone chargers when I switch.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    Cool posts, OP, but I - like many here, I am sure - am more wowed by user experience than GPUs that push 78 trillion megajoules or 50 bajillion triangles or processors that can double overclock their quad cores or whatevers.

Android has been a spec-leading platform for sometime, but it's still Android. I personally don't think the OS is as bad as some here make it out to be, but it multitasks very inconsistently and still lacks polish in a lot of areas - even after Honeycomb.

I'd much rather have a polished day in, day out experience with capable specs in a smaller, yet still usable form factor. That's what I'm looking for HP to deliver in the Pre 3 and/or Veer.
    What is so great about the user experience on a Pre? There are barely any useful apps, Webos is laggy and the hardware is teriible. It has been two years and there is no office suite. The only smartphone OS without an office suite. There is nothing about Webos that says polish.
    I really don't get the appeal of 3D on a phone. I have little interest on a TV in the first place, but on a phone, its an outright marketing gimmick. People will have it turned off the entire time after the first day of owning it.

Android handset makers have no way of differentiating now that everyones got their big screen specced out phones. They are reverting to useless gimmicks to try and attract attention. Come back when you add some actual useful features, HTC.

Might wanna try designing a phone that looks a little different while your at it, everything has looked the same since the HD2.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Arguing against innovation and progress just seems like such an untenable position to me.

The EVO 3D is easily the most exciting phone I've seen since the iPhone 4. Do people need 3D? Maybe not...but it's going to enable all sorts of products and services we don't even think is possible today.
    I highly doubt it.
    Personally, I agree that 3D is dumb on a phone, but honestly guys, if that is the one and only thing you want to pick out and use as a reason to bash Android... Well I think you're losing the forest for the trees.

Android is on a roll and HP is treading water (and Palm is dead and buried so stop with the dorky HPalm...) I'd really like to come back to a compelling webos phone in 2 years, but honestly I don't see HP putting the resources into getting the *consumer* level apps filled out to compete.

-Suntan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast