1.    #1  
    Those are not sub-forums of this forum but take you to the associated smartphone experts website for that phone such as the androidcentral.com forum.

Not a bad idea to link to them, but they are not subforums where precentral users will be talking to precentral users about a particular phone in a forum that can be referenced and searched by other precentral users.
    some subforums also have a place for discussion.

each serves a different purpose. What are you looking for? Perhaps we can help you find it?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    some subforums also have a place for discussion.

each serves a different purpose. What are you looking for? Perhaps we can help you find it?
    Its just that a precentral "sub-forum" should be a sub-forum of the precentral forum that it is supposed to be sub to, just like it is with most of the other subforums on the site, NOT a link to an outside web-page

A true android subforum for "other handhelds" would be discussions with only those people who accessed the subforum from the precentral "other handhelds" forum. For example in the "webOS Software and Chat" forum there is a sub-forum for medical apps which is a precentral forum for people interested in that, but it is a Precentral forum, not an outside one.

Why is this useful? For one because often I would rather discuss things with other precentral types not the whole world. Secondly, this site is run better and has, with some glaring exceptions at times, higher quality posts with more knowledgeable people who give good information (there are literally about 2 dozen active threads on androidcentral about issues updating apps on the evo with a number of incorrect responses being repeated over and over and nobody over there will merge or make a sticky so things can get sorted out). I would hate to see good precentral discussions diverted to other sites.

Also, a search on precentral does not pick up things on androidcentral so if someone was here looking for information on webOs vrs. Android and did a search, they would not pick up on any posts that wound up being diverted to the outside web sites.

Since I suspect most people will just post in the main "other handhelds" forum its not the end of the world but it could be useful to have true subforums for those that want to discuss and compare specific platforms as they relate to webOs. That way somebody not interested in Android can go straight to were people are comparing I-phones to the Pre and so forth.

Having a sticky with the links to other smartphone experts sites is, IMO, useful, but these are not sub-forums.
    Last edited by midmofan; 03/21/2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Thanks,

I'll take this up with Administration about giving them a different title.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Why is this useful? For one because often I would rather discuss things with other precentral types not the whole world. Secondly, this site is run better and has, with some glaring exceptions at times, higher quality posts with more knowledgeable people who give good information (there are literally about 2 dozen active threads on androidcentral about issues updating apps on the evo with a number of incorrect responses being repeated over and over and nobody over there will merge or make a sticky so things can get sorted out). I would hate to see good precentral discussions diverted to other sites.
    BTW..i think there was a poll asking why people stay here at precentral even if using a different platform now. This would be my reason. But it's sort of hard to define to a bullet point to vote on.
    "Its just that a precentral "sub-forum" should be a sub-forum of the precentral forum that it is supposed to be sub to, just like it is with most of the other subforums on the site, NOT a link to an outside web-page"

<<edited by Staff>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/21/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    "Its just that a precentral "sub-forum" should be a sub-forum of the precentral forum that it is supposed to be sub to, just like it is with most of the other subforums on the site, NOT a link to an outside web-page"

<<edited by Staff>>
    Or could be to somehow bump up traffic numbers on precentral site by counting the android traffic with it? Just speculating, but if this is needed for precentral ad rates, let us know so we can support this if needed.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/21/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    those subforums have always been listed in the CrossPlatform forum, and they match the way it is done on sister sites. It's not intended to boost or spoof anything. If people want to talk with android users about android phones, the link gets them to the right site. If the want to talk to webOS users about something that relates to another platform, that can be done in the threads that are right below the links to the sister sites.

Somehow everything always ends up being a conspiracy. This is the way things have always been on PreCentral. The only change is that the description was updated to say that this isn't a place to argue. But the links to other sites have always been there.

Here is the cross-platform subforum on androidcentral.com showing a link to PreCentral, and below that are threads for discussion among Android users.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/othe...ross-platform/