Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like it's show and tell. Of course everyone was wowed. I tried to tell them about touchpad and features. Their first question was what's webos. So I whipped out the sprint pre to showcase multi tasking. Next thing that happened was straight from a movie.

Too many card error. Silence. Attempt to reset. "hey john how much did your ipad cost" and "was there a line at the store". Everyone walks away. I stare at blinking Palm logo on sprint pre.
    Sorry that was your experience, too bad. I think it will be easier in a few months with better hardware.
    They should change the Too Many Cards error, to "You've just won a free latte!" or something otherwise positive.
    Damn. That musta stung.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    My recommendation is to stop shilling for Palm/HP.

We just need to wait until they get the products out to sing their praises. Current gen hardware is not up to par (except pre2) and we face serious trouble if we try to convince people to wait for the touchpad. We are accepting a lot of liability in our credibility talking up something that we haven't touched and really aren't sure about ourselves (i.e. what software, will it have a camera on the back, when will it be released).

When it comes out, if we buy one, we can take it to work and show everybody some of the neat features. It won't have the same cache' but I think HP needs to prove innovation to capture everybody's interest, or they can pay us. If they pay us, then I have no problem shilling.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    so, I assume you don't have Uberkernel installed? It helps a lot with avoiding TMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Like it's show and tell. Of course everyone was wowed. I tried to tell them about touchpad and features. Their first question was what's webos. So I whipped out the sprint pre to showcase multi tasking. Next thing that happened was straight from a movie.

Too many card error. Silence. Attempt to reset. "hey john how much did your ipad cost" and "was there a line at the store". Everyone walks away. I stare at blinking Palm logo on sprint pre.
    Thats too bad. I have a Pre - and I haven't run into that error for half a year now.

Sigh. You learned the hard way my friend. I experienced that a long time ago, I was showing off webOS to a bunch of friends & womp womp. Extreme lag, & TMC errors.

From that point on, if I ever showed off my Pre minus, I made sure it was overclocked to 1Ghz. Now I have a Pre 2 & I can show off webOS the way it was meant to be & without overclocking.

Shoulda just you tubed a did of the touchpad first.. Than while that's going on luna restart and show em.. Other that that wth you doing NOT overclocked

Its a pre Minus for petes sake

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    OP needs some UberKernel/Govnah voodoo to keep the TMC spirits away.
    I swear it's almost as if the phone knows when it's being shown off. I have zero lag problems with my Pre 2 EXCEPT when I'm showing the features to people.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I love when someone asks to use your phone and it starts lagging.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    so, I assume you don't have Uberkernel installed? It helps a lot with avoiding TMC.
    webOS Internals has said that they estimate less than 5% of Palm users have Preware. Similarly less than 5% of iPhone users are thought to jailbreak.

Even the Android land of nerds is under 5% rooted.

I bet he was comparing the off-the-shelf iPad to a normal Pre.

Preware is your friend.
    WebOS still gets 'too many cards' error?! Seriously?! Wow.

I overclock with Uberkernal and yesterday I got my first TMC error in half a year. Just closed a bunch of apps and immediately opened Angry Birds. I, too, thought that was a thing of the past. Looking forward to new hardware.
    It's weird. I have a Pre Plus, granted, but I have never ever seen a TMC error since I got my phone in September.
    i've stopped trying to show off my phone and webos. nobody cares. it's the apps that provide limitless possibilities. we have no apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    It's weird. I have a Pre Plus, granted, but I have never ever seen a TMC error since I got my phone in September.
    I'm not sure that the pre plus can get the tmc error. I had the minus for over a year and it was very susceptible to the tmc error. It would even get it with uberkernel, although a lot less common (once every few months). Had the pre plus since dec and I haven't had a tmc error once.

Can't wait to try 2.1 soon.

Fwiw, I stopped telling people to get webos too. I don't think most people want to do the things I am willing to do so my device runs great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    My recommendation is to stop shilling for Palm/HP.

We just need to wait until they get the products out to sing their praises.
    Makes the most sense.

As long as you have this:

03-18-11 iPad2, Day 8, Line at Fifth Avenue store (Goes around the block)

few people will be interested in anything else.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/18/2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Thats too bad. I have a Pre - and I haven't run into that error for half a year now.
    Even longer in my case. The main thing is the loading of only "clean" apps on the system. There are "bad" (not intentionally) apps that are poorly coded and will degrade resources on the system and cause the dreaded TMC. My dev team was compiling a list once upon a time to notify the devs but it became way to large of a project. You can confirm this buy doing the following:

-Doctor you phone
    -Create a NEW profile
    -Download a PDK app
    -Run any number of stock apps and open the PDK app
    -You will no see the TMC
    -Open more stock apps and repeat.
    -No TMC will appear
    -Start adding other 3rd party apps and you will see the TMC definitely.

As far as showing off the prowess of webOS, below is my favorite game\marketing tool. Works like a champ!

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Proof of webOS multitasking superiority over iOS is a little game I play with colleagues during lunch I call the "Super Task Challenge". It really ****es iPhone users off!

The Rules:

*You need two helpers that can text and email mobile, a Pre, and an iPhone (the contestants)

The goal is for the contestants to start a game and finish the level while getting several "multitasking" requests from the helpers.

1. Start the game and play the same level (Need for Speed, Asphalt5, Angry Birds what ever, as long as both have it)
    2. Helpers send both a text asking to email some information from the web.
    3. Contestants will open the text and get the information to look up.
    4. Google the information.
    5. Copy it into a new email to the helper and send
    6. Reply to the text stating the email is sent.
    7. Finish the level of the game.
    8. First one done wins.

Pre has won 100% of probably 18 or 19 rematches and it amazes everyone at the table and really cheeses off the iUsers. It's great! I "sold" 3 Pre's to others who were very impressed with the Pre and still are. (where's my commission HP? )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast