Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Im pretty sure I watched a hands on video of the EVO 3D and there was no HDMI out. Did HTC realize this is an unnecessary feature, without full HDMI capabilities I feel its a waste. I have a micro HDMI cable connected to my TV and used it maybe twice.
    It doubles w/the micro usb or sd slot. It also has dlna from one video I saw.
    An SD card? Sure, I guess it would be nice. PRobably won't ever be an issue since I still have 10gb fee on my Pre 2, and I don't foresee using all of that anytime soon.

Control my media experience with Netflix? I really don't understand what you mean with this one.

HDMI out? Would be cool, I suppose. Can't actually see myself using that feature though.

Have to swap WebOS for Android?

That, my friend, is a deal breaker right there.

One day, if HP starts actively working against homebrew apps and patches and the like, then maybe your statement will hold water. Until then, it's apples and oranges.
    <Moved and Merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    An SD card? Sure, I guess it would be nice. PRobably won't ever be an issue since I still have 10gb fee on my Pre 2, and I don't foresee using all of that anytime soon.

Control my media experience with Netflix? I really don't understand what you mean with this one.

HDMI out? Would be cool, I suppose. Can't actually see myself using that feature though.

Have to swap WebOS for Android?

That, my friend, is a deal breaker right there.

One day, if HP starts actively working against homebrew apps and patches and the like, then maybe your statement will hold water. Until then, it's apples and oranges.
    Yeah...you know, when I got my laptop and saw the HDMI out port I thought to myself "Cool! Now I can watch Netflix or Hulu just by hooking up my computer to the TV!"

Two and a half years later I have done this once, opting instead to just buy a Roku and stream that way.

Last year I bought a handy little Kodak Zi8 HD video cam. Same scenario...a feature I thought would be cool to have (i.e., watching my HD home videos via laptop hookup to my HDTV)...well, I already told you I only bothered hooking my laptop up once.

Yeah, so HDMI is a nice option, but I just don't personally have a lot of use for it. I'm still of the mind that there does not have to be a One Ring of personal tech...One Device to Do IT ALL. I like having a smartphone, but not to replace my camera. I like having a separate music device (my old 5th generation iPod) and not needing to store my music and audiobooks on my phone, eating up its already overtaxed battery. I like having a Roku instead of having to setup up a TV tray next to my television and use my mouse as a remote control.
    I don't want HDMI for my TV. I want it because every large PC discplay that HP makes, including the 24" HP display in my office) uses HDMI. It is much easier to control/configure HDMI connections, so my netbook understands and switches to it more smoothly.

It's not about TV, because you are right that there are better ways to get from phone to your family TV. but on an a desktop display, it's the current standard. I'm hoping for video over USB to be delivered over the emerging USB-over-wifi connection. That's the direction they should go... because it would put all the HDMI connectors on the receiving end, not the phone.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    I'm not as familiar with Android, so hopefully you or someone can help me out with this. What are the benefits of WebOS compared to Android Sync if one does not drop his phone in a lake?
    I believe Android only syncs what you have stored in Google apps, namely email, contacts, and calendar. Everything else (including purchased apps) would be lost. Anyone feel free to correct me if necessary, I've never owned an Android phone.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    4. HP does not say that the Pre 3 or Veer are 4G.
    How about a compromise? Instead of putting 4G on the chart (which is technically incorrect anyways), put exactly what each phone has. Something along the lines of [3G/HSPA+], [3G/WIMAX], or [3G/LTE]. And yes, the Pre3 and Veer both have HSPA+, the same "4G" technology as the Atrix. Whether or not it is marketed as such is immaterial.

5. All inductive chargers are accessories. No one makes their own chargers except Samsung and LG.
    The Pre3, Pre2, and Veer all come with a touchstone back cover fully integrated into the design on a hardware and software level. Yes, you have to buy the docks, but you don't have to put your phone in a bulky case to use it. And yes, HP/Palm makes their own charger (the Touchstone).

6. Automatic Backup is not noted as all have this as apps or features.
    Yes I noticed that, I was just commenting on the line in the "Key Features" that compare Synergy to Android Sync. I guess Synergy itself is pretty similar, but this comment basically ignores how great the Palm Profile backup and restore is. The ability to switch phones and have all your purchased apps follow you, as well as many other things, is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    The Pre3, Pre2, and Veer all come with a touchstone back cover fully integrated into the design on a hardware and software level. Yes, you have to buy the docks, but you don't have to put your phone in a bulky case to use it. And yes, HP/Palm makes their own charger (the Touchstone).
    There's nothing wrong with the inductive charging part of the original post. NONE of the phones include an inductive charger. If you just buy the phone you can't inductive charge. You have to buy the charger separately. the differences in how they work DON'T make the OP incorrect. They are all added accessories. And they all have the capability to inductive charge. Those are facts.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the inductive charging part of the original post. NONE of the phones include an inductive charger. If you just buy the phone you can't inductive charge. You have to buy the charger separately. the differences in how they work DON'T make the OP incorrect. They are all added accessories. And they all have the capability to inductive charge. Those are facts.
    HP/Palm phones DO include inductive charging on the phone themselves. No other phone does. Also, no other phone offers the same level of software integration as Palm's Touchstone.

Yes, you have to buy a base. Last I checked those are $18 on Amazon. But with the Powermat, you have to buy a base station as well as a case or cover for the phone. Looking at their website, they cheapest you can start inductively charging with their products is $50. Why would you pay over twice as much and not even get software integration?

Speaking of the Powermat website, I don't see the Atrix, the Thunderbolt, or the Evo 3D listed as supported products on the Powermat site. So the original post is still incorrect (unless these products have been announced, I can't find anything through a Google search).
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/25/2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: price update
    Shouldn't clock speed and Touchstone be green for the Pre3 in the OP?
    HP/Palm phones DO include inductive charging on the phone themselves. No other phone does. Also, no other phone offers the same level of software integration as Palm's Touchstone.

Yes, you have to buy a base. Last I checked those are $25 on Amazon. But with the Powermat, you have to buy a base station as well as a case or cover for the phone. Looking at their website, they cheapest you can start inductively charging with their products is $50. Why would you pay twice as much and not even get software integration?

Speaking of the Powermat website, I don't see the Atrix, the Thunderbolt, or the Evo 3D listed as supported products on the Powermat site. So the original post is still incorrect (unless these products have been announced, I can't find anything through a Google search).
    All that's all fine and what not.. But it really don't matter.. Do both methods charge your phone by settin it down? Yes.. Is that all most ppl care about? Yes... Is the Last pt of the post on the 1st page corrent? Who cares!! I seriously doubt millions of ppl will choose their phone based on if it does little neat things when they set it down to charge or not .. And if you have to BUY any part of it then it's NOT considered "included"

edt: btw yu do know the touchstone was like +50$ (im lowballin it) when it 1st came out right? Not to mention that hp has a 2nd version who knows what the pricetag will be
    Last edited by mindonmillions08; 03/24/2011 at 10:17 PM.
  12.    #92  
    How about a compromise? Instead of putting 4G on the chart...
    If HP specs are wrong, tell HP. Do we know for a fact that the network they will be on will be HSPA?
    ...And yes, HP/Palm makes their own charger (the Touchstone)...
    There is no HP Touchstone factory. HTC, LG, and Samsung do make phones and chargers and have made them for Palm. Inductive charges are accessories made by third parties. There are no accessories for the unreleased phones.
    Yes I noticed that, I was just commenting on the line in the "Key Features" that compare Synergy to Android Sync...
    Android automatically backs up apps, contacts, calendar, etc. MyBackup and other apps back up everything the microSD card or cloud.

By the way, I miss your bleeding tatoo.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/25/2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ian3047 View Post
    wait it out..... Well yes that is the point with this webos situation. wait and wait. what a joke.
    Why not go elsewhere for the time being.....and then come back when it's ready? Its like baking a cake, and then instead of going to do other things, just sitting there staring at it for forever.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    If HP specs are wrong, tell HP. Do we know for a fact that the network they will be on will be HSPA?
    The Pre3 has been announced to be coming in two models, CDMA and GSM with HSPA+. The only two GSM carriers in the U.S. are AT&T and T-mobile, and they both claim to have 4G with their HSPA+ network. The Atrix has HSPA+ on AT&T. Plain and simple, at least one model of the Pre3 supports the exact same 4G technology that the Atrix does, yet in your chart it is show as 3G only. It just doesn't jive to me.

So really, to be accurate, your chart needs one column for a CDMA Pre3 (3G only) and one column for a GSM Pre3 (3G/4G). Other wise it is just a biased chart that is clearly slanted towards Android. Speaking of, the Pre3's 1400MHz processor should be in green since it is the fastest on the chart.

There is no HP Touchstone factory. HTC, LG, and Samsung do make phones and chargers and have made them for Palm. Inductive charges are accessories made by third parties. There are no accessories for the unreleased phones.
    The Touchstone is a 1st party accessory from HP/Palm. If a person goes to see a Pre3 in a store, they get to see the Touchstone in action right there. To me, that is much better than a 3rd party solution. Some might not care, but I do.

I don't think its right to list a 3rd party accessory as a "feature" of the phone. It's misleading, especially when that 3rd party (Powermat) doesn't make accessories for the Atrix, Thunderbold, or Evo3D.

Android automatically backs up apps, contacts, calendar, etc. MyBackup and other apps back up everything the microSD card or cloud.
    Cool, the last I heard about that with Android was people complaining about having to repurchase apps when switching phones. It's good they caught up to Palm in that department.

By the way, I miss your bleeding tatoo.
    Haha yeah that was my first tattoo. I wasn't expecting to bleed like a stuck pig.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Oh and one more correction, the Pixi+ does have camera flash.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yes, you have to buy a base.
    And thus its an aftermarket accessory, not a core feature. Whether its made by 1st or 3rd party or not is irrelevant. Its not something that is "standard" on the phone so is an add on.
    @ milomindbender the touchstone may be made by another company but it is branded by HP. You wouldn't call the iPhone a non apple product because it was not put together by apple would you? Or is the Xbox 360 made by Microsoft or the company that put it together?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And thus its an aftermarket accessory, not a core feature. Whether its made by 1st or 3rd party or not is irrelevant. Its not something that is "standard" on the phone so is an add on.
    I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. If it comes from the OEM, it is a 1st party accessory. Aftermarket products are from a 3rd party.

The Touchstone technology is standard because the Veer, Pre2, and Pre3 all have the Touchstone coil built in on the back of the phone. That makes it a standard feature.

No matter how you phrase it, a 1st party solution that is built into the phone and has software integration wins out over a 3rd party solution that requires a bulky adapter and has no software integration.
    I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. If it comes from the OEM, it is a 1st party accessory. Aftermarket products are from a 3rd party.

The Touchstone technology is standard because the Veer, Pre2, and Pre3 all have the Touchstone coil built in on the back of the phone. That makes it a standard feature.

No matter how you phrase it, a 1st party solution that is built into the phone and has software integration wins out over a 3rd party solution that requires a bulky adapter and has no software integration.
    You know what, I kinda saw it from the other side until your post now.
    The Pre's have it built in, it's already there.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    They include the ability to use inductive charging, they however do not include the charger which means out of the box none of the phone for a first time buyer are capably of inductive charging without a extra purchase. Software integration? Webos is the only OS that's needs it the other OSs display things on the home screen just fine without being hooked up to an inductive charger and to use a special display mode.

Yes, you have to buy a base. Last I checked those are $25 on Amazon. But with the Powermat, you have to buy a base station as well as a case or cover for the phone. Looking at their website, they cheapest you can start inductively charging with their products is $50. Why would you pay twice as much and not even get software integration?
    The cost is relevant you have to purchase the charge/dock or w/e you want to call on any platform. Which means it is an addon.

Technically they can use one of these Powercube Universal Wireless Charging Receiver (PMR-PPC2) | Powermat which makes them chargeable by induction even if there is a cord.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast