Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    If the Pre 3 does not come to Sprint with WiMax, I'm getting the EVO 3D to replace my OG Pre.

It doesn't make any sense to get any non-4G smartphone on Sprint since the inception of the $10 "premium data" charge that began on Jan 30. All smartphone data plans are 10 bucks more now, regardless of 4G or 3G. I live in Los Angeles, which now has WiMax, so I'll make the jump because it's the smart move.

Apologies to HP and Palm, but you guys need to get in the game FOR REAL. I'll take the EVO 3D for a spin, and given that I like it, I'll still have no bias when choosing my next phone some time in the summer of 2013. If HP and webOS has established itself by then I'll be giving it a fair and unbiased look when choosing my next smartphone.

I have no loyalties to any manufacturer, only to my own personal satisfaction. If one phone is better FOR ME than another, I'll go with it.

Just how I hate Apple and their products right now; if they come out with a device that I FEEL is better for ME than Windows, I'll go for it. No allegience, no f@nboi-ism. Just smart consumerism.

I can only hope that a few people have similar thought processes when handing over your hard earned money for gadgets.

Sorry for the rant, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
    HP always coming out with the specs of phones that are already out there. Although Pre3 has some pretty decent specs, lets be real they should of came out with a 4G phone and even if it's not a lot of people that can use the 4G I gotta tell you perception goes a long way!
    That's why the Pre 3 needed to be released much sooner. It's going to have to be a bargain if they want sell in big quantities mid-year. Probably for those who don't have $200 or more to spend on a phone.

They could change and add 4G though. If the Pre 3 is not in production yet, that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    as far as i know the pre2 has Voicedial as well as Flash support
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    There are several things I need to comment on about the original post.

1. Pre2 has flash (already been noted)

2. Pre2 has voice dial (already been noted)

3. Pre2 has Just Type

4. The Pre3 and Veer are just as 4G as the Atrix, that is they are both HSPA+ phones. On top of that, AT&T has intentionally disabled the faster speeds on the Atrix. Hopefully they don't try to do the same with the new HP/Palm phones.

5. The Powermat, as far as I know, is a third party external accessory. It is not a dedicated built-in feature of the phone. Also, the Powermat doesn't compare to the Touchstone because of the latter's great integration with the software.

6. WebOS's Synergy/Backup is much better than Android Sync. I explained it to my friend like this: I could drop my phone in a lake, go buy another one, activate it on the carrier, and then after its finished signing into my Palm Profile, I have all my apps, contacts, emails, memos, calendar events, texts, and more fully restored. Android isn't even close in this regard.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/25/2011 at 09:04 PM.
    HP hasn't in my opinion given the thrust the Palm situation needed to pull out of the funk. I got a couple EVO's over a month ago now right after the time that HP's big wait even longer event was over with.
    I mean wait, and wait, and wait. For crying out loud what a mess. I have been a huge fan of Palm over the years but you can only be told to wait and be lied to for so long. Like the update to 2.0. Not to mention along with waiting for the new equipment you have to wait for apps that other platforms enjoy for months if not more than a year before Webos gets it. That was it for me. I now am really enjoying Android.
    Palm IIIe -> Palm m100 -> Palm 700p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre ->HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    6. WebOS's Synergy/Backup is much better than Android Sync. I explained it to my friend like this: I could drop my phone in a lake, go buy another one, activate it on the carrier, and then after its finished signing into my Palm Profile, I have all my apps, contacts, emails, memos, calendar events, texts, and more fully restored. Android isn't even close in this regard.
    I'm not as familiar with Android, so hopefully you or someone can help me out with this. What are the benefits of WebOS compared to Android Sync if one does not drop his phone in a lake?
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    There are several things I need to comment on about the original post.

1. Pre2 has flash (already been noted)
    2. Pre2 has voice dial (already been noted)
    3. Pre2 and Pixi+ both have Just Type
    4. The Pre3 and Veer are just as 4G...
    5. The Powermat, as far as I know, is a third party external accessory...
    6. WebOS's Synergy/Backup is much better...
    Thanks!
    1. Deleted
    2. Deleted
    3. This compares stock features. Just Type is stock on the Pre 2. Noted.
    4. HP does not say that the Pre 3 or Veer are 4G.
    5. All inductive chargers are accessories. No one makes their own chargers except Samsung and LG.
    6. Automatic Backup is not noted as all have this as apps or features.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Here you go: HTC - Products - HTC EVO 3D ‚€“ Specification

Size: 4.96" x 2.56" x 0.47"

Weight: 170 grams

RAM: 1 GB

(The internal storage only lists 1GB, other sources including Sprint say 4GB. May want to leave it as a ? for now.)

Dual 5 megapixel rear cameras, 1.3MP front facing

1730 mAh battery

That should pretty much fill in your chart.
    Thanks. Those are straight from HTC.

The final EVO 3D specs are now included.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/24/2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Thanks!
    4. HP does not say that the Pre 3 or Veer are 4G.
    5. All inductive chargers are accessories. No one makes their own chargers except Samsung and LG.
    4. So if HP would say its 5G you would write it down? Either you change the Atrix to 3G (or 3.75 or 3.9G) and the Pre 3 too or you write 4G to the Pre 3. Everything else smells a bit like bias. Sorry. It has HSPA+ it's the very same thing that the Atrix has and calls 4G (even though we know that neither HSPA+ nor LTE are 4G).

All inductive chargers are accessories, yes... but these are designed directly by the very same company that made the phone. This brings a lot more possibilities. This would mean a better Integration into the look and feel of the product, Exposť, receiving your call when taking the Pre from your Touchstone, switching automatically to the speakers when putting it down... It's all about convenience.

I guess this is one big danger that we are running into with this "list of features". We might loose the view that its not all about having a feature, but also HOW ITS INTEGRATED and how it works.

Oh and still: As much as I understood the printing on newer webOS-devices will not be only working with ePrint but also with ALL network enabled HP-Printers.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    The chart has a 1 vs a ? for internal storage when I last looked.

Though the HTC says 1G internal storage, there is a footnote which says "the actual available internal storage may differ depending on the software configuration of your phone."
    Last edited by Mike5; 03/24/2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I know which Veer video you are referring to, but he didn't really pop up intense programs.

Look at this Pre 3 video....the lag is still there.

and

I don't want to judge pre-release hardware/software...but while its faster than the Pre 1, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.
    What are you talking about? the only "lag" was in the web page loading. That's network speed not OS speed. everything else they did was snappy.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    FYI: Evo 3D has two 5 MP cameras... so technically it's either 5 MP or "10 MP"...
    Remember your Treo and Centro? Remember how cool it was to be able to do just about anything with your phone, like a swiss knife on steriods? Removable SD cards, Cool apps, recording phone calls, InfraRed capability, and other cool stuff where you were in control of your own data and your user experience were the norm.

Enter the Pre 3. You spoke. HP listened. Just because they don't care doesn't mean they don't understand. HP now holds all the keys. Want more data storage? Subscribe to their upcoming cloud services. Want an SD card? Suck it. Want to control your media experience with netflix, etc? Suck it. Want HDMI output? You guessed it. Pre 3 owners are going to be like Apple Iphone fan boys. You only get what they want you to get. You lost all the control and power from your Treo and Centro days. It's gone - forever.

Enter the Evo 3D. You spoke to HP. HTC listened. They took the wish list items for the Pre 3 and built them into the the Evo 3D sans webOS. I will be able to get and do what I want (on Sprint no less) with this phone.
    Just a matter of time before being banned - simply because I recognize that HP is killing WebOS.
    Oh look, it's yet another goodbye post.... yawn
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    Those of us who really believe in WebOS will wait it out.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    And then there are those of us who don't care about hdmi outs and sd cards and just love the webos ui so much that we're not switching to another phone for nothing more than bigger hardware specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    webos has been laggy and will always be laggy...it's 3.0..why the f is it still laggy??? Look at the video with josh..even the WOR guys said it and said If it's laggy at final release they are done with it..
    Because it's a pre-production unit and because speed improvements are the last thing that you usually do when you release a software (because it doesn't make sense to for example improve the speed of some code that later gets changed again or even gets deleted).

Just wait for the final device and judge after you had those in your hands.

And of course webOS never will be as buttery-smooth as iOS on the same hardware (on better hardware of course). It's simply a completely different philosophy. This doesn't mean that webOS will always lag... As I can see the new Snapdragon 800 Mhz are enough for the small screen resolution to make it really fast and so the 1.2 Ghz Dual Core and the 1.4 Ghz Snapdragon should be enough for the Pre 3 and the Touchpad to be really smooth.

I can clearly see that the time is working for webOS, while the hardware gets faster and more battery saving you will feel no need for a software that uses crippled semi-multitasking.
    You are assuming that everyone's device wishlist is the same as yours. Sure, an SD card slot would be nice for expanding storage, but with an SD slot you sacrifice device size. HDMI out could be nice for some users, but others wouldn't use it much. A 4" screen is definitely the preference for some users, but others want a more compact device. A full touchscreen device without a keyboard? Not as useful for business users who want a full tactile keyboard.

My point is that there is no perfect phone that will satisfy every user because everyone uses their mobile devices in different ways. You are assuming that HTC is listening to what user's wants because it has all of the features you want, but that is simply not the case. HTC, Apple, and HP are all targeting slightly different markets. It is best to get the device that best suits your needs. But don't rip on HP because their devices don't fulfill your specific smartphone wishlist.
    Im pretty sure I watched a hands on video of the EVO 3D and there was no HDMI out. Did HTC realize this is an unnecessary feature, without full HDMI capabilities I feel its a waste. I have a micro HDMI cable connected to my TV and used it maybe twice.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Im pretty sure I watched a hands on video of the EVO 3D and there was no HDMI out. Did HTC realize this is an unnecessary feature, without full HDMI capabilities I feel its a waste. I have a micro HDMI cable connected to my TV and used it maybe twice.
    The HDMI out is going to be via a dongle and put out through the micro SD slot.

nnb
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast