1.    #1  
    I'm really mad to see that M$ ended production of the Zune player. I have an original Zune and a Zune HD, as a music/video player the ipod doesn't even compete in my eyes. I understand that the WP7 has Zune built within, but just sucks they ended production of the player (as Webos is my mobile OS of choice).

As they say the good die young..
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I'm really mad to see that M$ ended production of the Zune player. I have an original Zune and a Zune HD, as a music/video player the ipod doesn't even compete in my eyes. I understand that the WP7 has Zune built within, but just sucks they ended production of the player (as Webos is my mobile OS of choice).

As they say the good die young..
    The zune just couldn't compete with the iPod on all levels: music and applications. It makes sense to consolidate into their phones if the platform isn't doing well as whole.

Personally, I think they should have released the Zune for iOS and Android to make the service more competitive.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think they should have released the Zune for iOS and Android to make the service more competitive.
    Bold decisions and large corporations don't often go together. I suspect it would have been a bit of a game changer if they had done that. At the very least it would have given Apple a real problem - do they not allow it and appear to be ers, or do they allow it and (heaven forfend!) miss out on some revenue?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Bold decisions and large corporations don't often go together. I suspect it would have been a bit of a game changer if they had done that. At the very least it would have given Apple a real problem - do they not allow it and appear to be ers, or do they allow it and (heaven forfend!) miss out on some revenue?
    Why wouldn't Apple have allowed it? They allow other competing music servies on their platform: Rdio, Spotify, Mog, etc. Just to name a few.
    The zune just couldn't compete with the iPod on all levels: music and applications.
    But at times it had the iPod beat on specs! Surely Microsoft was winning in that market!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Why wouldn't Apple have allowed it? They allow other competing music servies on their platform: Rdio, Spotify, Mog, etc. Just to name a few.
    I would have thought Zune was more of a direct competitor to the iTunes Store than them.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    But at times it had the iPod beat on specs! Surely Microsoft was winning in that market!
    I think the approved MS term is "advancing on all fronts!"
    sounds like they should stick to 2 syllable product names, the 1 syllable ones don't do so well
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    So that's why the Pre didn't sell, hmmm..

Anyway, even though the Zune was a better media player, being better does not always mean most marketable. Apple has proven that over and over. They may not always have the best specs for a device genre but they sell the crap out of anything.
    Dan
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Anyway, even though the Zune was a better media player, being better does not always mean most marketable. Apple has proven that over and over. They may not always have the best specs for a device genre but they sell the crap out of anything.
    I agree completely, you said it best.
    Quote Originally Posted by donfly View Post
    That's what I had read on Engadget the other day.

I am really hopeful for a Zune7HD or whatever they want to call it.

My Zune 30 GB died a couple of months back and I'm debating putting a new larger harddrive in it to hold me over. Can I use any sized HD that has the correct interface or do I have to stay at 30GB?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I hope they don't kill it. It 's an awesome player. It only has 150 apps and games but 11 million songs available makes up for it. Not that much difference from iTunes. My HD is perfect and I believe in the specs department, it had the iPod beat for a while. I mean who can beat a .35 mm thick piece of magnesium and aluminum that has a 600 MHz DUAL CORE processor and A QUAD CORE GPU and a very sharp 3.3 in OLED screen that can play back 720p video without any problem. The iPod Touch 4 still can't even beat the Zune HD in GLBenchmark and neither can the iPhone or iPad for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur5461 View Post
    I hope they don't kill it. It 's an awesome player. It only has 150 apps and games but 11 million songs available makes up for it. Not that much difference from iTunes. My HD is perfect and I believe in the specs department, it had the iPod beat for a while. I mean who can beat a .35 mm thick piece of magnesium and aluminum that has a 600 MHz DUAL CORE processor and A QUAD CORE GPU and a very sharp 3.3 in OLED screen that can play back 720p video without any problem. The iPod Touch 4 still can't even beat the Zune HD in GLBenchmark and neither can the iPhone or iPad for that matter.
    Why do you need 720p video on a 3.3" screen?
    Why do you need 720p video on a 3.3" screen?
    It can output 720p on to a large screen with the dock-maybe that's what he was referring to?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Yes that's what I meant. The highest resolution the Zune HD can do is 480x272.