Page 1 of 36 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    I find info on a thread about Android on Pre from chinese developer xndcn...

Port is in early stage... try it ONLY at YOUR risk !
    hosted on Google Code: android-on-palm

Short info:
    Curently is booted over USB from NFS share on Linux machine.
    After boot, some aplications work, some not...

Short Status:
    Working: Touchscreen(single-touch), Wifi(not always), Keyboard
    Don't Work: Sound, Phone, BT, GPS, Sensors
    Port Status with some Foto on project page: Port Status

Android buttons:
    VolUp for MENU and VolDown for BACK
    On Keyboard Q for BACK, W for MENU, E for HOME.
    NOTE: This keys is blocked for typing character and on-screen keyboard must be used.

TODO List:
    on project page google translated

Download kernel and rootfs
    from project page: Download

Wiki TryAndroidNow

on project page: official english

FAQ:
    Q: What version of Android is used ?
    A: AOSP, build info: full-eng AOSP OPENMASTER eng.xndcn.20110301.101713

Q: Touch any file/partition on Pre ?
    A: No, all files is used over USB cable from PC

Q: Is possible unplug Pre from USB cable after Android is booted ?
    A: No, all files is used over USB cable from PC

Q: Will be posible dual-boot ?
    A: Sure.

---------------------------------------------------
    Experimental Dual-Boot on PreMinus, Please read WHOLE post #100.
    NOTE: because files is stored on Pre, then 2nd and 3rd FAQ above is not right
    Last edited by k3dar; 04/21/2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: add link and info about dual-boot
    darkproteus66 and Xell420 like this.
    Wow, really interesting!!!
    Thank you Chinese webOS community!

Does touch screen alreay work a bit?

Edit: If some test this and have success I'll try too... Waiting for some guinea pigs!
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/15/2011 at 11:00 AM.
  3.    #3  
    I test it sure before create this thread

Also i try bypass NFS way moving all files (without one big ext image) to initrd, but i don't find way to boot initrd, and don't have now enviroment to create own kernel with initramfs.
    Is webOS and my hardware 100% unaffected when booting Android? I don't want to break anything...
  5.    #5  
    short answer: NO

long answer: theoreticaly webOS and other files is unaffected, because kernel and system for android is loaded direct into memory or used from computer over usb, but general if be broken some driver in kernel, then hw can be damaged and then webOS/files too. But in this case i think that kernel is based on source of Pre stock kernel with addons/patches for Android and theoreticaly is maybe safe
    mplayer, JVM now android on pre in dual boot chinese community is doing a perfect interesting job with webOS, what the people really want to see in a mobile OS....
    Quote Originally Posted by Torakiki76 View Post
    mplayer, JVM now android on pre in dual boot chinese community is doing a perfect interesting job with webOS, what the people really want to see in a mobile OS....
    Yes! I wish some people from PreCentral would work together with them, especially with this Android project.

I'll try to boot Android on my Pre in a few days... (maybe today)
    How long should it take to boot? It started before about 10 minutes (or more) and it still shows the Android logo. The logo isn't animated anymore.
    I forgot a command, Android "works" now!
    Some pictures

Some bugs:
    Android shuts down when not pressing anything on the screen for a few minutes (see in the bug tracker).
    I can't find a way similar to the back button on Android devices - so I can open apps but not close them.

Any ideas if the developers of this great port speak English?
    Just for those who don't look into the development section: Android on Pre
  11.    #11  
    for back android button - use Q on Pre keyboard
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Why? I can see the value of putting webOS (a great OS) on better hardware, but why would you want Android on crappy hardware?
    Because it's fun to play with your device
    how well does it work?
    how easy is it to install?
    will it void my warranty?
    does it dual boot?
    which bits of the phone work/do not work?
    oh, and which version of android is this?

a suggestion i have is to use the gesture bar for the android buttons
    we already have 5 options at the moment -
    swipe left
    swipe right
    swipe up
    tap
    and the swipe up and hold
    Last edited by 7 fissurez; 03/16/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
    <<merged threads>>

Let's keep this in one forum, guys. Please don't cross post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Why? I can see the value of putting webOS (a great OS) on better hardware, but why would you want Android on crappy hardware?
    The biggest reason for me would be to easily make apps for both webos and android and test them both on one device! Would be great if there was a way to hot swap between the two without having to restart
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    The biggest reason for me would be to easily make apps for both webos and android and test them both on one device! Would be great if there was a way to hot swap between the two without having to restart
    the reason people want to have android on webos is so the can use android BECAUSE THEY CAN. (and maybe to use the larger amount of apps) not to be able to develop apps on both platforms
    also its probably a way of the droid community saying "now what else can we port android onto"

as for switching OS's without restarting... Forget that idea instantly if you are talking about a legacy device, and I wouldn't consider it for the newer devices either.
    Theoreticlly i could be possible to run andoird in a card, just like ubuntu or other linux distributions but i think on the current devices there wouldnt be enough ram to use both OS productivly at the same time.
    Multiboot is a better solution, tho it takes it time.

I really like webos, but a full working android would be kind of cool, just for the missing apps and to show off how cool my pre still is
    Very impressive! I will be waiting for a stable release and then I will consider installing.
    Does anyone know what version of Android this is?
    I would be interested in seeing it run on a Pre 2 and comparing it with the EVO.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 36 123456 11 ... LastLast