Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Guys I think the trick to make WEBOS succeed is to be able to run WEBOS in and DROID phone not the only way around...I believe then and only then WEBOS will have a chance to come back.
    I was at a Sprint store yesterday and let me tell you there are some very impressive hardware available that we will never see unless HP gives the HTCs of the world the right to use WEBOS. The PRE 3 does not even come close to the hardware capabilities available today in other OSs.
    Hopefully, HP will be smart enough to allow other manufactures to run WEBOS and finally give the WEBOS a change to really show what it's capable of doing.
    The only thing I am afraid of is that HP is really a hardware manufacture……
    [QUOTE=tungsten C;3050259]Guys I think the trick to make WEBOS succeed is to be able to run WEBOS in and DROID phone not the only way around...
    The only thing I am afraid of is that HP is really a hardware manufacture
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    i renamed the bootr folder bootr.old.old and now my phone wont boot, i just ****ed up
    NuttyBunny likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcar View Post
    i renamed the bootr folder bootr.old.old and now my phone wont boot, i just ****ed up
    A good friend said once "don't do things if you don't understand them and don't know how to fix them".

What happens if you rename back bootr.old.old to bootr?

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    A good friend said once "don't do things if you don't understand them and don't know how to fix them".

What happens if you rename back bootr.old.old to bootr?
    i wont boot it just says palm
    thanks ( i thanked you for the motto) but i like to do things that i dont know then learn after i broke it hahaha ( only sometimes) but i fix it
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcar View Post
    thanks ( i thanked you for the motto) but i like to do things that i dont know then learn after i broke it hahaha ( only sometimes) but i fix it
    It wasn't that hard, was it? Boot with the install image, mount the relevant stuff, rename the directory

What about the Pre 2? Since the future of webOS is in doubt we should try to give a new breath of life to our Pre's with Android. I love webOS but, given the situation, I'd like to try to boot Android on my Pre2, even just for fun
    What people always liked about webOS was the webOS, not the hardware.

What people like about Android is the hardware.

Isn't Android on Pre going the wrong direction?
    btroffded1 likes this.
    A few months ago, I would agree, but today it's a whole different story.
    WebOS at the time being is dead. I can't give enough thanks to the developer community for their work on supporting this OS, but they have been betrayed in the most gruesome way possible. I have been considering about jumping over to webOS development because I loved this platform so much, but due to HPs crappy management, I have settled with being a desktop dev at the time being. In any case, devs, users and modders are now left off to rot while some ***** CEO is scratching his forehead and congratulating himself on a good business decision. It's wrong.

Android doesn't have a better UI, nor does it have better multitasking... Android has APPS, tons of them, while webOS has ******g cheesy books, soundboards and Angry Birds in the App Catalog! The most useful apps that have surfaced were made available through Preware, but noone can devote his or her valuable time to develop quality apps on a platform that has been basically abandoned! That's why I would absolutely love to try out Android on my Pre. The hardware is there. In fact, I think that being able to port Android successfully to the Pre would be a bick ** to HP... would be very satisfied to see it get done before jumping off board and going to another phone manufacturer.
    i'd take a fully functioning android on my pre minus in a heartbeat. And until i bought a new phone it would be my primary O.S.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i'd take a fully functioning android on my pre minus in a heartbeat. And until i bought a new phone it would be my primary O.S.
    The great thing about the Pre is its operating system. I don't understand that attitude of "PUT ANDROID ON ALL THE THINGS' that's happening, here and with the TP.

Why put an inferior OS? The idea should be making webOS run on an Android phone.

btroffded1 likes this.
    And rely on HP to provide updates? Not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    What people always liked about webOS was the webOS, not the hardware.

What people like about Android is the hardware.

Isn't Android on Pre going the wrong direction?
    The great thing about the Pre is its operating system. I don't understand that attitude of "PUT ANDROID ON ALL THE THINGS' that's happening, here and with the TP.

Why put an inferior OS? The idea should be making webOS run on an Android phone.
    The big problem is that webOS's app catalog is nearly as bad today as it was two years ago.

Android's hardware isn't the ONLY thing driving people toward Android. As such, it'd be very beneficial to run Android on the TP. Personally, I'd rather see Android running alongside webOS so Android's app catalog is available from within webOS. Dual booting or replacing webOS entirely should be the last resort.
    In my opinion for people with the Pre minus (like me) there is nothing else to do. WebOS is the best MobileOS I have ever seen, but beeing stuck in Version 1.4.5 sucks really. Also the performance is still lacking which I hoped they would change this with an update. But now there is nothing left to do.
    Also the Appstore has no really useful Apps except the apps from Preware.
    But still there is missing things like Whatsapp and Skype which are quite essential for communication with people who have an iPhone, Blackberry or Androidphone. I think if these popular and also other popular Apps would exist for WebOS, People wouldnt think again about of changing their OS.
    But without that no chance at all...
    With Android running on it I think the Pre minus still has a chance to suvive on the market. So people who have been abandoned by HP can be happier with their old device.
    webOS = the soul. Pre minus/plus/2/3/Veer/Pixi/plus/whatever = body.

Now ideally we'd want body and soul :-) But this thread makes no sense. I love webOS, even in its aging Pre minus body. Why port Android on to crappy hardware??
    btroffded1 likes this.

"inferior" is merely an opinion, your opinion, and its totally subjective. "why put an inferior OS?" Well because it's NOT inferior to ME. i don't care in the slightest about a specific OS or these android vs ios vs webos vs blackberry wars people here like to wage here at precentral and other places. All OSs have strengths and weaknesses. I don't care about the OS. It's just a tool. i care about what i can do with a phone. I can do much much more with android and the apps on it and that's all i care about. Webos for me lacks polish, its slow and buggy, and laggy, it doesn't respond to my finger presses, it hangs often, and it crashes and bottom line there are not the apps i want. So yeah i'd rather have an android phone. webos is not special to me. it's just a tool for a job. a job it struggle to do. It may be inferior to you. It's just not inferior to me.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 08/24/2011 at 12:59 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I'm not really following the touchdroid work, but agreed -- it'd be great if all their work doubled for the phone hardware.

Alternatively i'd be totally down for a dalvik (a la the palmdroid efforts - Official: Palmdroid Development Thread (android app emulator for WebOS) - xda-developers ) for webOS. I'd prefer that, in fact. (Assuming it can work ok.)
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    docnas#AC likes this.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I can answer this from my own perspective, since I just came to this thread looking to see if there was an android port for the Pre 2. I currently have an android phone, but I actually like the form factor of the Pre 2/3 with the physical portrait keyboard (not that veer or pixi crap). That form factor doesn't really exist for the Android, or at least not cheaply. With the discounted pre hardware, this makes an android port on the pre a viable option. I've got nothing against the webOS, I want the pre for the form factor but I need android because of certain apps (specifically I rely on Google Voice integration (html 5 does not work for this properly), an OCS client I use for work, and Google Maps w/ navigation). In fact, the google integrated apps like Maps and Voice are the reason I went with android and I don't use webos or ios. I agree that both of those Operating Systems are superior to android. Anyway, thats just my reasons, not sure what others reasons are. However, this port so far wouldn't work for me. The fact that they replaced physical keyboard buttons defeats my reasons (which is the physical keyboard). I like the idea someone suggested of using the gesture pad though for the various tasks (gesture left for back, tap for home, up for menu, right for search.. or whatever).

fyi, I was looking at getting the discounted touchpad, but that order fell through. That said, I wasn't planning on putting Android on that, since my needs for the phone are different then my needs for the tablet. WebOS does everything I need for a tablet (basically email and browsing while sitting on the couch).
    Last edited by bveditz; 08/30/2011 at 02:40 PM.
    works for me, does the cell phone network work now tho?