Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    See:
    TouchPad set for a June release, priced from $499; 7-inch coming in September?

Base prices and release dates from the photo
    Motorola 10" - $649 - March 17th
    Blackberry 7" - $499 - March 27th
    - - - -Dell 7" - $499 - End of march
    -Samsung 7" - $499 - End of march
    - - - Acer 7" - $399 - April
    - - -HTC 10" - -TBDTBDTBD - $June$
    - - - Dell 10" - $499 - June
    - -..Acer 10" - $449 - June
    -Toshiba 10" - $499 - June
    - - -..HP 10" - $499 - June
    - - - - HP 7" - -TBDTBDTBD - $Sept$
    -----
    Previously released:
    - - - -iPad 2 - $499 - March 11th
    - - - - -iPad - $399 - April 2010

Thoughts...
    1. These would have to be WiFi only versions.
    2. Motorola is the only one over $499.
    3. When the Dell 10" is released at $499, the Dell 7" may drop to $399
    4. That's at least 5 tablets being released in June alone.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/19/2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Yes that's $499 for the 16g Touchpad and $599 for the 32g.
    An extra $100 for only 16g of more memory seems overpriced to me, I just assume buy a small 1terabyte external hard drive for the same price.
    At least we have a confirmed release date, can't wait..
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    See:
    3. When the Dell 10" is released at $499, the Dell 7" may drop to $499
    I assume you meant $399.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I assume you meant $399.
    Thanks, I did! Fixed.
    In the image for this I noticed the words "Hard drive" next to the HP Tablet. Does that make sense?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In the image for this I noticed the words "Hard drive" next to the HP Tablet. Does that make sense?
    No. They say "Hard drive" next to the blackberry as well. Neither will have a hard drive. They mean "Storage".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/14/2011 at 02:11 PM.
    The Xoom is $650 wifi only? Super fail!

But I've seen it listed for closer to $600. Staples and Sam's Club both had lower prices listed. But Motorola needs to come down to earth. Even Apple is cheaper at 32GB wifi only.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'd be in for the wifi-only HP at $499. Yes, the Motorola seems awfully high considering.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/14/2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Yes that's $499 for the 16g Touchpad and $599 for the 32g.
    An extra $100 for only 16g of more memory seems overpriced to me, I just assume buy a small 1terabyte external hard drive for the same price.
    At least we have a confirmed release date, can't wait..
    These are rumors. Nothing is confirmed.
    Ugh now I can't decide between the Touchpad and iPad2... nooooooo.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    These are rumors. Nothing is confirmed.
    I think that we can bet on PreCentral to have a good source for that retailer's printout.

The iPad is thinner and lighter and adds HD record, autofocus, zoom, voice controls, a second camera, and is insanely fast. (tests, more tests) The iPad 2 has just one speaker but adds HDMI out with 5.1 surround sound.

webOS is the best OS ever but is that more important than 65,000 apps? Will a Best Buy rep walk buyers past Apple, Motorola, Samsung, and HTC to show the TouchPad? Will the TouchPad be at Wal-Mart and Target?

At $499, will there be lines waiting to buy the TouchPad like we just saw for the iPad 2 at $499?
    You can bet there won't be lines for the Touchpad, but it may be a viable second option to the iPad2. I think most will pass up on the Xoom due to it's ridiculous price and unfinished state. I think it will boil down to apps though.
    hp needs to more aggressively price the touchpad. at 399 the ipad might outsell the touchpad
    ...At $499, will there be lines waiting to buy the TouchPad like we just saw for the iPad 2 at $499?
    The more important question is will there need to be lines waiting to buy the TouchPad?

I don't think so. I doubt we'll be confronted with the "gotta have it first" mentality, so I doubt there will be (extensive) lines. However, there doesn't need to be lines. HP has to sell them, but selling them doesn't mean there has to be more demand than there is product.
    Xoom is just living as the first android 3.0 tablet, it will drop in price as the competition grows. (saw $579 wifi 32 at sams rumor)

The touchpad has to just sell AND have solid build quality and a finished OS.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I think the touchpad at the 499 price is fine, and when people go hands on like stated above people will IMO think as this a second option to the Ipad2. Most people love Apple products because visually its astheicly pleasing, and so is webos. What Webos will have over the ipad is how it handles applications ala cards. I think most people will be enticed with the way Webos handles things, and seeing how Webos never took off on just the pre, and pixi devices most have never experianced it before. As long as the Touchpad is flawless when it comes to performance I think it will sell very well, and come back with solid reviews from consumers.
    ...snip
    At $499, will there be lines waiting to buy the TouchPad like we just saw for the iPad 2 at $499?
    There will not be iPad/iPhone like lines. HP does not have the mindshare. People want Apple products. This is why you have people paying other people to stand in line to buy iPads for resellers so they can ship them overseas. Not only do they sell for close to double the price, they have ready and waiting customers. WebOS may be a better operating system, but the consumer has chosen what the best mobile OS is for them, which is IOS.

There are still lines, around 60 when I past by the Fifth avenue store at 10:00 AM yesterday. 30 sitting out in the cold this morning at 6:00 AM. The line probably got longer after that. People seem not to be bothered by the lack of "true multitasking", cards and what ever else webos offers. IOS works for them. Apple makes the devices sexy looking, people want it.

The simplicity of IOS is what is what is appealing (besides the ecosystem). Milions of people seem to want to click on an icon, it does something, then move on to the next icon. Techies here may not like that, but the people have spoken. All of this webos work flow stuff is not the mainstream desire.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/14/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The more important question is will there need to be lines waiting to buy the TouchPad?

I don't think so. I doubt we'll be confronted with the "gotta have it first" mentality, so I doubt there will be (extensive) lines. However, there doesn't need to be lines. HP has to sell them, but selling them doesn't mean there has to be more demand than there is product.
    You almost sound as if you think high demand for a device is a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Not at all. I simply said it's not a requirement. It's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's not a bad thing, but if I want something on launch day, I'll preorder it from Amazon or some other site that will have it shipped to me. I can't take a day off from work in order to stand in line for a gadget.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast