Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No matter where we all stand on what type of device to choose, Apple came out & announced the iPad 2 and with in weeks have made it available to the public.

This is the issue that every one else has & Apple pointed it out. HP should not have announced the Touch Pad until they were ready to roll it out within weeks of the announcement. I hope that they have learned from Apple.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Everyone can agree that Apple's model of announcing the device and then launching it immediately is the way to go, there is no debate to be had. I do expect the next launches/announcements to happen in this fashion.

On the other hand HP did need to get developers onto the platform, Apple does not have to do this they already have millions of apps, so they announced the specs and the screen size at the same time as releasing the dev tools. Feb 9th was necessary but people dont seem to realize that devs were the focus of the event not consumers.
    If HP had released the devices a week or two after the release, they would have blitzed the competition.

Imagine how well they would have done if they got it out before the iPad!

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    No matter where we all stand on what type of device to choose, Apple came out & announced the iPad 2 and with in weeks have made it available to the public.

This is the issue that every one else has & Apple pointed it out. HP should not have announced the Touch Pad until they were ready to roll it out within weeks of the announcement. I hope that they have learned from Apple.

Just imagine the whining and begging for some information if nothing had come out about the TouchPad yet. It would be deafening. When it comes to the opinions expressed by some on this forum HP can't win. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The way that I see it, the obvious strategy is the face of not having the TouchPad ready for release until summer (and no, it's not ready and just being held back to taunt you!), is to do exactly what they have done and release some specs and show some prototypes, in order to persuade potential purchasers to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just imagine the whining and begging for some information if nothing had come out about the TouchPad yet. It would be deafening. When it comes to the opinions expressed by some on this forum HP can't win. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The way that I see it, the obvious strategy is the face of not having the TouchPad ready for release until summer (and no, it's not ready and just being held back to taunt you!), is to do exactly what they have done and release some specs and show some prototypes, in order to persuade potential purchasers to wait.
    That's a good point, but I'm sure people could have fed off those topaz rumours for about another month.

And after then, they can announce and release it soon after. There have been many high up tech guys reviewing it and saying it is much more stable in its pre-release phase than some of the already released tablets. And as long as the hardware is spot on (which it definitely looks to be) any bug fixes can always be quickly solved in more frequent OTA updates.

I understand what you mean by "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" and that has been the case in many of the situations Palm and HP have been put in, but that's all the more reason for them to nail it, efficiently and quickly this time round.

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post

Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Exactly.

I've mentioned it before and believe it... They should have had a developers presentation to make the pitch to them and show them the beta product and let the info get leaked out to whet the publics appetite.

What they did was a full on public event and committed a 'summer' release. Even then I suspect they were pushing for the soonest date possible but they said summer so they'll have to not go into fall. Leo already broke his promise to no longer announce products that weren't ready. We'll see.
    i think palm/hp is just dammed. too little; to late.

i hate the idea of the excuses that members make such as,
    wait till ces,
    the palm pre 2 is a dev phone,
    feb 9 annoncement was for devs.

what a bunch of croc.
    <thread moved>
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts

The only lesson you should learned is that Apple was rushed into launching this ipad 2 --- early --- just like everybody else.

This thing has a "9x GPU" that should be capable of decoding 1080p video, but Apple rushed the launch so it can only decode 720p video. Apple also cut out the new multitouch 4 finger gestures from the gold iOS 4.3 release.

We would never know the extent Apple was cutting features left and right in order to launch this ipad 2 early.
    But it still has the advertised features ready to go. Maybe a firmware update can enable gestures again. I'm not sure if a firmware update would do anything for the video decoding, but if it can, maybe they're going that route. They've done similar things before.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Why always same "they shouldn't announce it until not ready to roll.."? And why another one - "they should release TP before Ipad2".

1. If HP didn't announce TP before Ipad2 release, many of WebOS users would go with Ipad2. Now compulsive ones will buy new Ipad, and rest of us will wait to see TP.

2. If HP released TP with unfinished OS it would be impostures.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I've mentioned it before and believe it... They should have had a developers presentation to make the pitch to them and show them the beta product and let the info get leaked out to whet the publics appetite.

What they did was a full on public event and committed a 'summer' release. Even then I suspect they were pushing for the soonest date possible but they said summer so they'll have to not go into fall. Leo already broke his promise to no longer announce products that weren't ready. We'll see.
    I agree that would have been a better way to go.

But what happened to that rumor of April? At least they could go head to head with the PlayBook. They pretty much ruined their chances of grabbing iPad hungry customers, unless they catch those still waiting until they can spend the money.

An April release could give those people reason to pause. Summer release, and iPad 2 will be too entrenched. Especially if there's another firmware update related to the release of iPhone 5. If Apple says iPad 2(not sure about the 1), will get iOS 5.0, we may be done here. Again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The only lesson you should learned is that Apple was rushed into launching this ipad 2 --- early --- just like everybody else.

This thing has a "9x GPU" that should be capable of decoding 1080p video, but Apple rushed the launch so it can only decode 720p video. Apple also cut out the new multitouch 4 finger gestures from the gold iOS 4.3 release.

We would never know the extent Apple was cutting features left and right in order to launch this ipad 2 early.
    Cutting *rumored,* or leaked, features, is not the same as cutting features.

For 95% of the public paying attention to iPads, the iPad2 upgraded exactly as planned.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Cutting *rumored,* or leaked, features, is not the same as cutting features.

For 95% of the public paying attention to iPads, the iPad2 upgraded exactly as planned.
    You can tell it was a rush launch just from the keynote speech --- Apple didn't bring up a single third party developer on stage to demo new ipad apps that take advantage of the hardware. This is like the Xoom launching with 16 apps in the Honeycomb store.

Well when you commit anti-trust behavior in the third world outside the reach of the FTC, DOJ, and EU then you can definitely take a market lead advantage. No chance Apple would have been able to "buy up" any components to lock out competitors in any of the Western Nations.

Think of Balmer not allowing iTunes to be install in Windows7. We know Apples PC marketshare is 10% so that would be 90% opportunity for ZunePass software on all those machines, the DOJ would be all over M$ *** like Bubba on a new inmate in D-block.

HP has billions so while Apple may be paying triple-overtime, and signing contracts, HP can do some damage with their own money, possibly even funding some of those "smaller" manufacturers to increase their production machinery.
    You can tell it was a rush launch just from the keynote speech --- Apple didn't bring up a single third party developer on stage to demo new ipad apps that take advantage of the hardware. This is like the Xoom launching with 16 apps in the Honeycomb store.
    So, what was iMovie, GarageBand, and PhotoBooth?

Like Xoom? Last time I checked, there are over 65,000 apps specifically for the iPad.

Oh, didn't know that Apple had to do the same EXACT thing for every presentation they do. Maybe they wanted to use all the allotted time to show off their own apps this time.
    I have to disagree with you on that one. It was nothing like the Xoom launch. This was the iPad 2, with 65,000 + apps available before it even launched. Whether Apple rushed it or not is irrelevant, & if they did rush it, then that just looks bad for the competition. If Apple could push a rushed product & still get people hyped like this competitors should be very concerned.

People either love or hate Apple, either way you can't knock them. Like the title of this thread states, they got it right. They make great products & are excellent at marketing them.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well when you commit anti-trust behavior in the third world outside the reach of the FTC, DOJ, and EU then you can definitely take a market lead advantage. No chance Apple would have been able to "buy up" any components to lock out competitors in any of the Western Nations.

Think of Balmer not allowing iTunes to be install in Windows7. We know Apples PC marketshare is 10% so that would be 90% opportunity for ZunePass software on all those machines, the DOJ would be all over M$ *** like Bubba on a new inmate in D-block.

HP has billions so while Apple may be paying triple-overtime, and signing contracts, HP can do some damage with their own money, possibly even funding some of those "smaller" manufacturers to increase their production machinery.
    Please provide some proof where Apple bought up components to LOCK out competitors. I have never heard that.

I have heard that Apple has agreements in place so that they can get the parts that are needed to ship the millions upon millions of devices that they have forecasted that they can sell this year.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast