Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Can't help but think that it was actually a good thing the TPad hadn't come out this month seeing as the Xoom hasn't been faring very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    Can't help but think that it was actually a good thing the TPad hadn't come out this month seeing as the Xoom hasn't been faring very well.
    And do you really think releasing touchpad around summer will help it? By then there will be couple of more honeycomb tablets will be out will good amount of apps and I am sure google fixes some of the bugs. And there will be some kind of ipad3 rumors be around. And everyone will be talking about iphone3.
    What hp should do is to release sdk and work with the developers to make good amount of apps before they release touchpad and pre3. Show some sigh that there will be some apps will come out.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Lesser of two evils I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So much for the "only iPad owners will buy it" argument I saw in another thread. Small sample size though.
    True on the small sample size, but I think it's a pretty good indication of things.
    You are discussing competing products calmly and respectfully. Please keep positive. Thanks!
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/14/2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    And do you really think releasing touchpad around summer will help it? By then there will be couple of more honeycomb tablets will be out will good amount of apps and I am sure google fixes some of the bugs. And there will be some kind of ipad3 rumors be around. And everyone will be talking about iphone3.
    What hp should do is to release sdk and work with the developers to make good amount of apps before they release touchpad and pre3. Show some sigh that there will be some apps will come out.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quite possibly. From the little reviews that I've read and talking with random people the biggest complaint about the Xoom (aside from the lack of apps) has been its approach at trying to take the desktop to the tablet.

HP has a very long and steep uphill battle to be anywhere near where Apple is with their iPad but they could very much be a second viable option if they execute things right.

Developers, marketing, and pricing are key.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It has been 2 years and the developer support for webos is severely lacking. It is like they are now starting over from scratch. What are the chances support for a pad would be any different?
    I have no idea. What really gets me is the SDK for 2.0 and above is still under NDA which deters a lot of developers from even seeing what webOS is all about.

Not to mention, 2.1 is now publicly available yet the SDK for it is still under NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    I think pretty much anyone would have tough time launching right now. That said i think launching as far away from apple stuff is a good strategy in one sense. I think the bigger problem from HP (and some other's) standpoint is they are just an entire product cycle behind. I think launching the Pre anytime near the iPhone is kinda suspect but that's another discussion. And honestly i think HP is trying to just get stuff out their and get moving after the purchase of Palm. I don't think they have the luxury of waiting forever since they are already behind.

but regarding the touchpad, one take away from walking through best buy that i was struck with was the presentation of the product. This isn't a new thing i've noticed either. All apple phones on display actually work. No other phones in best buy are real phones. The Iphone is displayed separately in many stores. Like in the corner of an aisle or so it stands out. HP i think should copy that in the sense that they shouldn't have dummy phones when the User interface is a huge selling point. Another thing is that the showmanship matters. So make the display look nice. The apple stuff darn near looked like it was in an apple store. the tables the macbooks were on were even different, streamlined and sleek. While the PC laptops where in another section kinda just lumped together with no flair. They don't have to look like apple. but they should not ignore that store presentation matters and just slap their products out their with the rest of the stuff. like the ipad had it's own display pedestal on the edge of the computer section exposed to the main walkway in the store where everyone passed by. The xoom was just on a table with a giant antitheft alarm glued to it. It just looked kinda tacky. It had no display pedestal at all. it just it wouldn't lay flat even cause of the alarm device. But when looking around it was apparent that even in best buy that Apple gives great attention to how their products are presented. HP should too. Get the good store space. Make the displays look clean and inviting. Display the product in a way that invites people to use it. I mean it sounds like common sense but looking around best buy those other computer or phone makers didn't have their products displayed like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    ...Apple gives great attention to how their products are presented. HP should too. Get the good store space. Make the displays look clean and inviting. Display the product in a way that invites people to use it. I mean it sounds like common sense but looking around best buy those other computer or phone makers didn't have their products displayed like that.
    Yep. I'm more of an online shopper myself. However, there are times when I need to try the product before buying. I find it very frustrating that companies put dummy products on the shelves. I mean, the only difference between that and looking at a pick online is that you get a slightly better sense of dimensions. Apple gets the part right for sure. Presentation is nice. The products are real, turned on and charged. There is even internet connection so I can get a full experience during my trial. HP should take a page out of Apple's book on this one for sure. I remember the Pre was available for trial when it first launched but not too long after, it was just a dud sitting there, often not turned on or charged or simply non-functional. Not good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure Apple extracts some significant terms from retailers who carry the iPhone and iPad. Any products that cause people to line up in front of your store are going to be treated differently - or else. Imagine what you would do to get more iPad 2 inventory over the next several weeks.
    yep. the same thing happens at grocery store with eye level shelf space and big displays on corners of aisles facing the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yep. I'm more of an online shopper myself. However, there are times when I need to try the product before buying. .... I remember the Pre was available for trial when it first launched but not too long after, it was just a dud sitting there, often not turned on or charged or simply non-functional. Not good at all.
    yep. i buy a lot online too. But i try stuff like this i try before i buy in a store. i tried the pre at the sprint store. luckily my sprint store had several working Pre's. To Sprints Credit, at my store they did a great job on launch, there were people their demoing the o.s. they had working phones. And i also stopped by best buy that day and they had a person walking around with a live working Pre. Iphone was the only other live phone. Sadly, two days later the guy was gone and the dummy phone was the only thing on display, and Unlike the iphone that had it's own section, the Pre was just lumped with all the other phones. Interestingly the Motorola android phones have their own section in my best buy. But for HP's sake i hope they don't just say, "nah that doesn't matter." Because for a lot of the average customers that's part of the selling to them.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345