Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    C: Not many people care apparently. I don't remember any review bashing iPad 2 for having no specific 3rd party apps ready. Probably since they already have 3 in-house ones ready and many of the old popular 3rd party apps should already work. Speaking of games, Infinity Blade and Dead Space should be great on iPad 2.
    But that's just it, those three new apps Apple showcased aren't iPad 2 specific, they're also available on the iPad 1.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Couple with the fact that Apple basically ran out of inventory during the launch weekend and a rumored 3-4 week delivery for online orders.

All signs are pointing that Apple rushed the software by a combination of feature slip and not giving third party developers enough time with the iOS 4.3 beta SDK, and rushed the hardware with the teardown showing that CPU is basically fresh off the baking oven and a very limited launch inventory.
    The iPhone 4 had the same issues -- developers didn't take advantage of its features until after the phone had actually shipped and Apple was supply-constrained for months. I wouldn't say they rushed the iPhone 4 to market though. It happened because Apple doesn't give developers access to pre-release hardware and they were supply-constrained because people were buying every unit available.

I don't see much difference between that and the iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Couple with the fact that Apple basically ran out of inventory during the launch weekend and a rumored 3-4 week delivery for online orders.

All signs are pointing that Apple rushed the software by a combination of feature slip and not giving third party developers enough time with the iOS 4.3 beta SDK, and rushed the hardware with the teardown showing that CPU is basically fresh off the baking oven and a very limited launch inventory.
    Feature slip? What feature was slipped? In regards to developers, the only new feature in 4.3 is AirPlay, and from my understanding that's very easy for developers to implement in their applications. A month was more than enough time. The application(s) that I use that could make use of AirPlay were actually updated before the new iPad and iOS 4.3 hit.

Meeting the public demand has been an issue for Apple with the iPhone and iPad, this isn't anything new and indicates nothing more than a very successful launch. You saw the lines around the country.
    It unbelievable to think that there still people here talking about how apple fear for hp touchpad and rushed the ipad2 release. Omg!!!

Sent from Tapatalk

The rushed to market theory exist only in your mind. Apple is on time, it's own time. Your assumption of it being rushed because of no third party demos is a shear fabrication. What's next, "The grassy knoll"?

Limited launch inventory for a tablet as opposed to what? The Xoom, Galaxy?
    Show me the lines for any one of those devices. What is fresh of the baking oven? Was it warm? Was the glue not dry?

Your 1080p theory is lame also. If you new anything about Apple you would know they are fixated on 720P. Ever heard of the ATV2?

You need to post less and read more.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    It unbelievable to think that there still people here talking about how apple fear for hp touchpad and rushed the ipad2 release. Omg!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    It is a bit ridiculous.
    You can tell it was a rush launch just from the keynote speech --- Apple didn't bring up a single third party developer on stage to demo new ipad apps that take advantage of the hardware.
    They didn't need to. They already had 3rd party apps shown with the original ipad Keynote where they brought up Gameloft, EA, Brushes creator Steve Sprang, MLB.com app creator, and the New York Times.

They didn't didn't need to bring on 3rd party developers because they already did it one year earlier.
    keep watching the following parts for the others.

It's hard to criticize them for not doing something they already did a year earlier.
    Yes. Apple launches under their own timetable... Not depending on others.

Last years breakdown of iPad showed they had spot for the cam... Maybe that's what they wanted but they couldn't fit it in launch. There were rumors in ipad2 that retina display was going to be in there but maybe they couldn't do it by launch. I dont think that it had anything to do with others... Otherwise even knowing there could be tabs out there like the xoom with higher res displays, it doesn't seem to bother apple or change their dates.

A lot of people think the best specs in all areas is the key... Apple specd this long ago and their ok with it and hope that it is the best. Look at it this way... The chip choices will probably be in the iPhone 5... They probably decide on chips for both and deep in development and testing and that's it... To change because would mess up development for both. They are better off sticking with their plan and if they come up short then they better themselves next year.

What they didn't do this year, they will next year.

Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post

Sent from Tapatalk
    Last edited by donm527; 03/13/2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    They didn't need to. They already had 3rd party apps shown with the original ipad Keynote where they brought up Gameloft, EA, Brushes creator Steve Sprang, MLB.com app creator, and the New York Times.

They didn't didn't need to bring on 3rd party developers because they already did it one year earlier.
    keep watching the following parts for the others.

It's hard to criticize them for not doing something they already did a year earlier.
    You know, I sort of understand what he's saying because there is hardware in the iPad 2 that wasn't demoed through third party apps. I just don't think it means anything (and it certainly isn't an indication that Apple rushed iPad 2 out because they felt HP breathing down their necks) because that's how Apple operates. I mean, Steve Jobs demoed iPhone 4's gyroscope using an Apple developed Jenga app because third part developers didn't have access to it until the phone shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You know, I sort of understand what he's saying because there is hardware in the iPad 2 that wasn't demoed through third party apps. I just don't think it means anything (and it certainly isn't an indication that Apple rushed iPad 2 out because they felt HP breathing down their necks) because that's how Apple operates. I mean, Steve Jobs demoed iPhone 4's gyroscope using an Apple developed Jenga app because third part developers didn't have access to it until the phone shipped.
    What hardware?

New camera? Facetime. don't know what third party apps you need to demo a camera? Does anyone ever use third party apps to demo a camera? even if they do it's just a camera. People get it. Besides i think they demoed the HD camera, video and photo, in the iphone 4 with Apple software. Why would anyone expect different.

CPU? you're going to have the exact same demo you had before. Gameloft running games. But you don't need to because it's already been done a year earlier.

more memory, apple doesn't focus on spects long in keynotes anyways. Memory wasn't mentioned. don't think it ever was. And even the A5 chip got a small amount of time and they didn't go into a ton of detail.

as for third parties in general they had an entire video of people outside of apple talking about using the ipad from physicians to salesforce.com This keynote was about the next phase. the first one it was about music, and video, how they reworked the software for tablets. they demoed mail, the bookstore, bought a book live. This was about all ADDITIONAL stuff the ipad can do. it's why they focused on garage band and imovie, why they focused on business uses. It makes zero sense to give a keynote covering ground you already covered just cause certain hardware components that they typically don't highlight got spec bumps. Especially when what they already did got them 90%+ market share and 65K tablet specific apps. They don't need to sell developers. They were sold.

But the idea that apple is concerned about HPs tablet that's not out, has a tiny customer base, and has very few apps available is laughable. Wishful thinking at best.
    I can't disagree with any of that. I'm just trying to rationalize where samab is coming from.

Even without third party demos, does anyone really think developers won't take full advantage of the hardware in the iPad 2?
    Here's one. It doesn't matter if they rushed it or not. They have lines around the corner in every city in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I can't disagree with any of that. I'm just trying to rationalize where samab is coming from.

Even without third party demos, does anyone really think developers won't take full advantage of the hardware in the iPad 2?
    i've just seen their keynotes for several products and they seem to try to do certain things. to highlight certain things. I don't think they are randomly ticking off boxes like "3rd party developer in hardware demo? Check."

I think they are like, "Ipad 1, We need to show all it can do and why it's important. So we'll show the apps we made like music player, video, book store. We'll show ease of use by buying a book. We'll show the potential for development with Gameloft, and EA, and New York times."

I think the second keynote they are more about expanding on that theme. So it doesn't benefit them to spend more time on stuff they've already done. So they focus on business uses, on media creation from a consumer perceptive..

their iphone commercials do the same thing. their fist where about basic uses. Then it was the browser "this is not a watered down version of the internet" the commercial said. Then they move on to some talk about apps and only apps. Face time commercial was just about that. They are ticking off boxes 3rd party developers is just one they already did long ago and i just don't think they it mattered.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Here's one. It doesn't matter if they rushed it or not. They have lines around the corner in every city in the country.
    ...And every company in world in the tablet game is saying "Damn I wish that was us"
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ...And every company in world in the tablet game is saying "Damn I wish that was us"
    Yep.
    Again you are talking about first party apps --- and with a still camera with a 0.7 megapixel resolution.

And we are talking about the Qualcomm chip inside the TouchPad that has the image processing power to support a 16 megapixel still image and the OMAP4430 inside the Playbook that has the image processing power to support a 20 megapixel still image.

PhotoBooth app probably use less than 1/4 of the available image processing power (0.7 megapixel x 9 = 6.3 megapixel) on the A5 chip. I hardly called that taking advantage of the new hardware.
    And who in their right mind would buy a tablet to take still pictures? don't you think that would look kinda silly, holding up a 10" piece of awkward hardware to snap photos? Why waste resources using something nobody wants? The only thing the camera would be useful for would be facetime.
    So much for the "only iPad owners will buy it" argument I saw in another thread. Small sample size though.
    I just came back from best buy. it was kinda wild. They had people cueing up to play with the ipad 2 that was on display. 4 and 5 people deep. Some looking over shoulders. Some waiting. Some getting tired of waiting cause the people wouldn't stop taking their turn. But it was interesting to see. Be everyone that walked by took a look and a lot stopped. From a distance i could see one guy's amazement at the magnetic cover. The xoom was in the corner with the laptops getting little attention. interestingly i saw someone buying an original ipad version while i was there (cause i saw them at the register with the box and a credit card). it was also interesting watching people just fondle and play with it.

As a side note, there was a thread about thinness vs speakers and after using the beats by dre headphones i think it would be a good selling point to include some beats by dre headphones with the touchpad. Unfortunately they cost darn near as much as some tablets and they are made by Monster not HP.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/13/2011 at 10:54 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast