Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i wonder how much apple relies on Japan for its supply of hardware ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I think they really were interested in only plugging their own wares. I'm guessing they assume, with good reason, that developers will follow suit soon. I already saw an app in the store optimized for 4.3 on the iPad. I didn't really search well enough, but I'm sure developers are going to make use of not only iPad 2 but iOS 4.3.
    The developers will follow suit soon --- because Apple only released their beta iOS 4.3 SDK in the middle of January.

That's my whole point --- Apple didn't give enough time to the third party developers, so Apple couldn't show any third party apps at the keynote.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    No, it is obvious that the A5 processor has the horses to encode, decode and edit 1080p videos. The fact that Apple is only doing 720p videos showed that they rushed the launch --- much like some the android stuff that will initially support 720p video at launch and will support 1080p video with a firmware upgrade.
    That doesn't show anything.

What videos are you going to show in 1080p on the iPad 2? The movies on iTunes are not in 1080p. So, why would Apple do that?

When they have movies that are in 1080p on iTunes, I'm sure the iPad will start showing 1080p.

About this rushing thing? Who were they trying to rush ahead of? You can't say Xoom because that thing is FAIL. Playbook? Big yawn. HP TouchPad is way in the future.

So, who is Apple rushing to get ahead?
    I am talking about third party apps that take advantage of the new hardware.

Even at the ipad 2 launch this weekend, we are talking about maybe a handful of games that just got updated to give you better graphics with the ipad 2 --- not brand new games that are being released at launch.
    Okay, that makes sense.

I don't think that necessarily indicates the iPad 2 was rushed, though. Apple has a history of keeping their hardware under wraps, even to developers, until launch. eg, devs didn't even get their hands on the iPad until it shipped -- they had to use the SDK's iPad emulator for development.
    I am talking about third party apps that take advantage of the new hardware.

Even at the ipad 2 launch this weekend, we are talking about maybe a handful of games that just got updated to give you better graphics with the ipad 2 --- not brand new games that are being released at launch.
    What is this "new hardware" that you speak of? Every iPad application that was in existence before the iPad 2 will make instant use of the new iPad 2's offerings if coded correctly (for example, applications that allowed one to access their photo library will now automatically allow one to access the camera as well).

Developers don't have to do anything NEW to make use of this "new hardware" that you speak of.

Especially games, they will just perform better (but like that matters, they never performed terribly, so to the end user, there will be no difference).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    How will Japan earthquake affect Apple's iPad supply chain? | ZDNet

According to that article, not much if at all. It seems other's would feel the effects before Apple would.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Developers don't have to do anything NEW to make use of this "new hardware" that you speak of.

Especially games, they will just perform better (but like that matters, they never performed terribly, so to the end user, there will be no difference).
    Did you see the nVidia quad-core presentation?

The dual core tegra --- 200 game characters. The quad core tegra --- 600 game characters.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Well from what we know, it's a bigger problem for other OEM including HP because Apple has agreements for X amounts at Y price, later entries are likely to face higher prices which will make it more difficult to protect margins. So it might impact supply for Apple but not price but impact price AND supply for others.
    Did you see the nVidia quad-core presentation?

The dual core tegra --- 200 game characters. The quad core tegra --- 600 game characters.
    Yes, I have.

So are you suggesting that Apple should have held back the release of its iPad 2 to wait for game developers to create new games that take advantage of the new GPU?
    Why would it look bad for the competition?

The competition is doing version 1 tablets --- they are starting from nothing.

Apple is going to be rushed from now on --- iphone 5, ipad 3... And by then the competition would be releasing version 2 devices --- which also allows these competitors to drop features to launch early.

To elaborate, I would think it looks bad if apple pushed a rushed, half effort product to the market & still out sell the competition by the millions, (which they will) & still dominate the mind share of consumers.

I don't know if the iPad 2 was rushed or not, but we all know it's an incremental upgrade to the iPad. Nothing mind blowing about it, yet competitors can come out with tablet's with better specs & features, and to the avg consumer, it won't matter. Apple market's it's products well, & has huge mind-share in the consumer market.

This is what should be concerning competitors, the fact that they can create a tablet with better features or hardware specs, yet consumers still choose an iPad over their tablet. The sales #'s will do the talking, & we'll see how consumers decided to spend their money this quarter & the following.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The developers will follow suit soon --- because Apple only released their beta iOS 4.3 SDK in the middle of January.

That's my whole point --- Apple didn't give enough time to the third party developers, so Apple couldn't show any third party apps at the keynote.
    I don't think they cared this time, because as they stand now, people will apparently buy anyway and upgrade firmware and apps later. I think they figured, the hardware is ready and the cool in-house apps are ready, mainstream will eat it up anyway. And they did. Apple is good at reading the public when it comes to marketing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wasn't there a thread not long ago positing the theory that Apple rushed the iPad 2 launch out of fear of the TP. Sounds like someone didn't get enough of that thread. Here we go again.

First, 4.3 was never going to have gestures. Apple made that clear to developers that it was there for testing purposes. They are clearly prepping devs for 5.0. In fact, if you are an iOS dev, the gestures are still there. You activate them through xCode.

1080p. Apple doesn't do 1080p. Check out the TV. The iPad can output 1080p video. The fact of the matter is that most TVs can't even display 1080p. Just as well knock them for not including 3D.

There are already 3rd party apps popping up that take advantage of the iPad 2. No problems with developer support.

Any other straw-men? There is simply no evidence, or reasonable conspiracy theory to suggest that Apple rushed the iPad 2. I think some people would like to think so because it makes them feel better about the TP being so late to market. The TP is not late; the iPad 2 is early. Bad Apple!
    Yes, I have.

So are you suggesting that Apple should have held back the release of its iPad 2 to wait for game developers to create new games that take advantage of the new GPU?
    I think that is what he means. Apple should have waited until 3rd party apps were ready to take full advantage of what iPad 2 has to offer. But Apple knows mainstream doesn't care as much about that, at least not this time around. They still got what was advertised. I'm pretty sure though that some cool things will pop up soon in the App Store.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think that is what he means. Apple should have waited until 3rd party apps were ready to take full advantage of what iPad 2 has to offer. But Apple knows mainstream doesn't care as much about that, at least not this time around. They still got what was advertised. I'm pretty sure though that some cool things will pop up soon in the App Store.
    A. That's not needed.
    B. That's not possible.

If I read him correctly, he's suggesting there should have been games released for the iPad 2 that take full advantage of the new GPU. Games take a VERY long time to develop, especially good in depth games. If Apple waited around for developers for a game of that magnitude, the iPad 3 and/or 4 would be ready for release.

There are already thousands upon thousands of games in the app store that will make good use of the new hardware.
    Plus, it's not like apps developed for the original iPad are somehow no longer native to iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Wasn't there a thread not long ago positing the theory that Apple rushed the iPad 2 launch out of fear of the TP. Sounds like someone didn't get enough of that thread. Here we go again.

First, 4.3 was never going to have gestures. Apple made that clear to developers that it was there for testing purposes. They are clearly prepping devs for 5.0. In fact, if you are an iOS dev, the gestures are still there. You activate them through xCode.

1080p. Apple doesn't do 1080p. Check out the TV. The iPad can output 1080p video. The fact of the matter is that most TVs can't even display 1080p. Just as well knock them for not including 3D.

There are already 3rd party apps popping up that take advantage of the iPad 2. No problems with developer support.

Any other straw-men? There is simply no evidence, or reasonable conspiracy theory to suggest that Apple rushed the iPad 2. I think some people would like to think so because it makes them feel better about the TP being so late to market. The TP is not late; the iPad 2 is early. Bad Apple!
    Let's say that Apple did release early. Well if they did, they did it right, unlike the Xoom. People got what was advertised and they did not make any promises they couldn't fulfill at time of purchase. You do not need to send the iPad back. Any upgrades will be through firmware. Not only that, but they got the jump on anyone releasing in the summer. And by that time, 3rd party apps to take advantage of iPad 2 will be in full force.

Apple released on time, like they have with every other product they release on an annual schedule.

What will be interesting is if rumors are true and they do in fact refresh the iPad lineup come this fall. Not sure how I feel about that; I can't say that I'd be surprised if they did or didn't, either way.
    A. That's not needed.
    B. That's not possible.

If I read him correctly, he's suggesting there should have been games released for the iPad 2 that take full advantage of the new GPU. Games take a VERY long time to develop, especially good in depth games. If Apple waited around for developers for a game of that magnitude, the iPad 3 and/or 4 would be ready for release.

There are already thousands upon thousands of games in the app store that will make good use of the new hardware.
    C: Not many people care apparently. I don't remember any review bashing iPad 2 for having no specific 3rd party apps ready. Probably since they already have 3 in-house ones ready and many of the old popular 3rd party apps should already work. Speaking of games, Infinity Blade and Dead Space should be great on iPad 2.

iPad 2 Optimized Games Hitting App Store - iPhone News at IGN

I don't think third party apps are a problem Apple has to worry about. I'm surprised that anyone would try to use that club against Apple, of all companies. Good luck with that.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Yes, I have.

I didn't suggest that --- but I do think that Apple gave third party developers too little time to finish these games in time for the keynote speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    To elaborate, I would think it looks bad if apple pushed a rushed, half effort product to the market & still out sell the competition by the millions, (which they will) & still dominate the mind share of consumers.

I don't know if the iPad 2 was rushed or not, but we all know it's an incremental upgrade to the iPad. Nothing mind blowing about it, yet competitors can come out with tablet's with better specs & features, and to the avg consumer, it won't matter. Apple market's it's products well, & has huge mind-share in the consumer market.

This is what should be concerning competitors, the fact that they can create a tablet with better features or hardware specs, yet consumers still choose an iPad over their tablet. The sales #'s will do the talking, & we'll see how consumers decided to spend their money this quarter & the following.
    Motorola has their own set of problems --- namely they wanted to split the company into two and float the handset part of the company on the stock exchanage --- which promptly drop like a rock.

The software was not even close to be ready for prime time. But if Motorola didn't announce that they are going to launch a bunch of half-finished handsets/tablets --- then they couldn't do the company split.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Who said that major iOS releases HAVE to be released in the summer?

Why can't Apple release iOS 5.0 with the ipad 2 and iphone 5 getting iOS 5.2? Going to a dual-core platform is the perfect time to do a major OS release.

BUT in the history of computers in the last 40 years --- the software side has always lagged behind hardware. CPU's had protected memory years before OS'es can take advantage of them. Same thing for 64 bit software, we still don't have much software even though we have the hardware for a few years now.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast