Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    So, what was iMovie, GarageBand, and PhotoBooth?

Like Xoom? Last time I checked, there are over 65,000 apps specifically for the iPad.

Oh, didn't know that Apple had to do the same EXACT thing for every presentation they do. Maybe they wanted to use all the allotted time to show off their own apps this time.
    Those are first party apps.

Even after the keynote speech, when journalists and other tech bloggers were allowed to play with the new ipad 2 --- there weren't any third party apps that took advantage of the new hardware on those ipad 2's on display in the convention hall.

Imagine that? Not a single third party app on display for journalists to play with.
    The hardware was certainly ready, unlike Xoom. And they seemed interested in pushing their "in house" apps. I'm sure developers are going to do something soon.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Please provide some proof where Apple bought up components to LOCK out competitors. I have never heard that.

I have heard that Apple has agreements in place so that they can get the parts that are needed to ship the millions upon millions of devices that they have forecasted that they can sell this year.
    I've seen this. But amazingly Samsung is one of the component suppliers. So competitors are making money off each other. Maybe this is why there's no real complaints over Apple buying up lots of parts.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Those are first party apps.

Even after the keynote speech, when journalists and other tech bloggers were allowed to play with the new ipad 2 --- there weren't any third party apps that took advantage of the new hardware on those ipad 2's on display in the convention hall.

Imagine that? Not a single third party app on display for journalists to play with.
    Hm, I remember the guys from Engadget having a blast playing with the new PhotoBooth app.

Take advantage of what new hardware? The camera? What app could they bring out that was going to wow someone that hasn't already been brought out on the iPhone that has had a camera from the very beginning.

I think you are trying to make something seem bigger than what it really is.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Whether Apple rushed it or not is irrelevant, & if they did rush it, then that just looks bad for the competition. If Apple could push a rushed product & still get people hyped like this competitors should be very concerned.
    Why would it look bad for the competition?

The competition is doing version 1 tablets --- they are starting from nothing.

Apple is going to be rushed from now on --- iphone 5, ipad 3... And by then the competition would be releasing version 2 devices --- which also allows these competitors to drop features to launch early.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just imagine the whining and begging for some information if nothing had come out about the TouchPad yet. It would be deafening. When it comes to the opinions expressed by some on this forum HP can't win. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The way that I see it, the obvious strategy is the face of not having the TouchPad ready for release until summer (and no, it's not ready and just being held back to taunt you!), is to do exactly what they have done and release some specs and show some prototypes, in order to persuade potential purchasers to wait.
    I agree that HP can't win with the people forums. I have been in retail for over 20 years and understand why HP did what the did. However, Apple has most likely been working on the iPad 2 shortly after the iPad 2 and have been waiting for the right time to launch their new produce.

In regard to specs, most people don't care. Now most of us in the forums like & care, but general population does not.

I feel that WebOS is by far the best OS out there. Launching sooner than later is what I would have liked to see, but as another writer mentioned, we have to get developers time & Apple did not have to wait on developers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I've seen this. But amazingly Samsung is one of the component suppliers. So competitors are making money off each other. Maybe this is why there's no real complaints over Apple buying up lots of parts.
    Locking out a competitor would be along the line of Apple telling Samsung that if they sell LCD panels to another competitor then Apple will stop buying their LCDs. That to me is the definition of Apple trying to lock out a competitor.

Apple is not doing that. So, again, I don't see where Apple is locking out competitors. They are just guaranteeing that they have the parts to build their products.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Hm, I remember the guys from Engadget having a blast playing with the new PhotoBooth app.

Take advantage of what new hardware? The camera? What app could they bring out that was going to wow someone that hasn't already been brought out on the iPhone that has had a camera from the very beginning.

I think you are trying to make something seem bigger than what it really is.
    Again you are talking about first party apps --- and with a still camera with a 0.7 megapixel resolution.

And we are talking about the Qualcomm chip inside the TouchPad that has the image processing power to support a 16 megapixel still image and the OMAP4430 inside the Playbook that has the image processing power to support a 20 megapixel still image.

PhotoBooth app probably use less than 1/4 of the available image processing power (0.7 megapixel x 9 = 6.3 megapixel) on the A5 chip. I hardly called that taking advantage of the new hardware.
    I am still trying to understand where you think Apple has to always show off 3rd party apps.

Maybe this time they wanted to show off their own apps.

iMovie only works on the iPad 2, so it's obvious that iMovie takes advantage of the iPad 2 A5 processor.

So, unless you have some proof that Apple rushed out the iPad 2, I think you are making something seem bigger than what it really is.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I am still trying to understand where you think Apple has to always show off 3rd party apps.

Maybe this time they wanted to show off their own apps.

So, unless you have some proof that Apple rushed out the iPad 2, I think you are making something seem bigger than what it really is.
    Apple can't simultaneously trashing their competition about having no third party apps and then not showed any third party app on the ipad 2.
    The premise is Apple is buying lots of parts leaving even Samsung strapped for supply to other manufacturers.

But they've apparently signed a huge contract with Samsung for lots of parts. I don't think Samsung will be complaining about Apple buying too many parts.

Apple can't simultaneously trashing their competition about having no third party apps and then not showed any third party app on the ipad 2.
    Apple - iPad - From the App Store
    In my opinion HP did OK with public announcement. They showed commitment, they showed finished hardware, they showed vision. HP introduced new framework to the public, framework needed for that vision to be achieved. HP sent message to webOS fan base that they are behind newly purchased OS and that webOS is not toaster/dishwasher operating system. HP, also sent message to developers that coming months will be difficult.
    Introducing hardware behind closed doors to the bunch of devs would look like HP is not committed to TP, like it wasn't committed to Slate. It would create more negative rumors than positive.

It was fair event and fair move. And HP got it right.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    iMovie only works on the iPad 2, so it's obvious that iMovie takes advantage of the iPad 2 A5 processor.
    No, it is obvious that the A5 processor has the horses to encode, decode and edit 1080p videos. The fact that Apple is only doing 720p videos showed that they rushed the launch --- much like some the android stuff that will initially support 720p video at launch and will support 1080p video with a firmware upgrade.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    And all of them are from the original ipad world.
    I don't understand your argument. Not showing third party apps doesn't mean they don't exist.
    On locking competitors, I have to agree - securing it's supply is crucial for Apple. They know what sales figures they can expect, and only rational thing to do is to secure parts needed since tablet market is becoming crowded.
    Honestly, I think they really were interested in only plugging their own wares. I'm guessing they assume, with good reason, that developers will follow suit soon. I already saw an app in the store optimized for 4.3 on the iPad. I didn't really search well enough, but I'm sure developers are going to make use of not only iPad 2 but iOS 4.3.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't understand your argument. Not showing third party apps doesn't mean they don't exist.
    I am talking about third party apps that take advantage of the new hardware.

Even at the ipad 2 launch this weekend, we are talking about maybe a handful of games that just got updated to give you better graphics with the ipad 2 --- not brand new games that are being released at launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    In my opinion HP did OK with public announcement. They showed commitment, they showed finished hardware, they showed vision. HP introduced new framework to the public, framework needed for that vision to be achieved. HP sent message to webOS fan base that they are behind newly purchased OS and that webOS is not toaster/dishwasher operating system. HP, also sent message to developers that coming months will be difficult.
    Introducing hardware behind closed doors to the bunch of devs would look like HP is not committed to TP, like it wasn't committed to Slate. It would create more negative rumors than positive.

It was fair event and fair move. And HP got it right.
    There's no TouchPad for consumers, yet many others are ready to snatch up consumer cash now or soon. That's what they got wrong. If there were no other tablets worth mentioning, then maybe they could do that. But competitors exist, so you do not dangle a promise into the future and expect people to wait for a vague date, when they can buy something usable now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast