Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118
  1.    #1  
    Not a comparison per se, just a review.

    Processor: Bla bla bla...

    RAM: Bla bla bla...

    Resolution: Bla bla bla...

    Megapixels: Bla bla bla...

    I/O: Bla bla bla...

    Benchmarks: Bla bla bla...

    Did I miss anything? OK, time for the wrap-up.

    Anyone who believes any of that will make one scintilla difference in sales and satisfaction should just skip the iPad 2 and this thread. Enjoy your xPad/Tab/Slate.

    For the rest...

    It makes one hell of a first impression. When my blind, 67 yo parents got their hands on it, (it is fully accessible to blind users), the first thing they said without hearing the other's reaction was, "Wow! I can't believe how thin it is!" They use computers and are familiar with technology, though they don't live and breathe it. They were shocked by the combination of formfactor, power, and usability.

    My wife: even less techie, couldn't stop playing with the Smart Cover. I showed her how it worked. She was impressed, excited, and moved to larceny. She unhooked it from my computer, ran into her craft room, and slammed the door screaming, "Mine! Mine! MINE!"

    I like to think my responses were more dispassionate and focused than theirs. I would like to think so, but it wouldn't be true. There is a visceral, emotional response that is hard to deny. You have read all the reviews and seen what you wonted to see in them. You know exactly what to expect. That all goes out the window the moment you get it in your hands.

    As all Apple products, it looks so much better in person than in pictures. It is impossibly thin. Yes, I know the measurements, but that just doesn't tell the whole story. It doesn't even tell the most important part of the story. It feels lighter because it is, and more importantly, because of the thinness, and how the weight is distributed. It is a marvel of engineering and industrial design.

    These are the first impressions and emotions before you even turn it on. Once you do, you will notice that the screen is bright and beautiful. Put those specs down and just look at it. The display seems different in a way that is hard to describe. It also feels different. I am certain they are using a different coating on the surface, as it feels much more finger friendly than the old one. Tough to describe; easy to notice when you use it.

    Fast? It's so very fast! The old one feels downright poky by comparison. It is even more responsive in every way than the previous generation. It still has limits of how many pages can be opened without reloading, but that is under heavy load with all the applications open that I could think to open. Under more reasonable loads, Safari refreshes are a thing of the past.

    I don't actually use Safari, though. Therefore, I do not have the benefits of the Safari performance improvements. In spite of that, I have found page loading to be significantly increased in all of the browsers I have. It has to be a function of the hardware improvements. Whatever the reason, the performance boost in web browsing is quite dramatic.

    Speaking of apps, I have been playing with GB. It is the start of something big. It gives musicians a taste of the future. One can easily conceive of doing real, high-end work in this form-factor. It just makes you want to make music, regardless of your skill level.

    I can't speak to iMovie as I am not a videographer. But I can say that the camera on the back is perfectly competent for the purpose it was intended, and not so much for the purposes it was not. Saying that it takes poor stills is as silly as saying that a Canon DSLR is a poor microscope. It takes very decent video shorts, works well with FaceTime, and is fantastic with magnifier apps. There are many good uses for the camera. Focusing on the uses it was never supposed to be good at just reveals a very myopic perspective.

    Conclusion:

    It is a given that I would enjoy it, so ignore my impressions if that makes you happy. But I will not be buying the 10 million units that will, no doubt, be sold in the next few months. Precentral's own DB had some very interesting things to say about it, and he is not so easy to ignore. RR at TiPb talked about bringing specs to an experience fight.

    Ignoring the emotional connection, and marginalizing those who have it, is to bury your head in the sand. If a customer is not emotionally, not just intellectually, moved by your product, you have already failed, at least where competing with Apple is concerned.

    There is so much more to be said about the device, but that will have to do for now. If your response to this is to marginalize me, personally, or start comparing spec sheets, you have missed the point, and are not likely to ever understand why these products are so successful.

    One more thing. The Smart Covers are an excellent example of why Apple is so good at this stuff. If all you see is a piece of material covering the screen, you have simply missed the point. Experience it, and you will be reaching for your credit card. The iPad 2 will triple the sales of the original, regardless of how minor you think the spec bump is.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 03/12/2011 at 01:44 PM.
  2. #2  
    That's a really great and honest review of the competition. My one concern is that people are so extremely in awe of the device just because 1. It's the first really great tablet of its kind and 2. It's made by Apple. Both of those reasons are certainly justifiable, I'll be uber-happy when I get my TouchPad, but I'm weary when people describe an experience as you have, simply because I'm skeptical that it's not all based on hype and status.

    Still, your review gives the device some credibility, and it encourages me to get a TouchPad as soon as it's ready. The OS is simply one I cannot pass up, even if the form of the iPad2 is over-the-top great as you say it is.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    .
    .
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
  3. #3  
    I guess I should add that I'm most excited about your review because it gives us a goal for the TouchPad. If people are as excited about the webOS device as you are with the iPad 2, I think we'll have a winner.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    .
    .
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
  4. #4  
    I just ordered an iPad2 for the wife. It is a very impressive piece of engineering.
    I look forward to the final information on the TouchPad because I hope to order that, but if it doesn't impress me when I get a chance to use it in person...
    I'll wait for the next webOS tablet that I hope WILL impress me.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
  5. #5  
    Thanks for the review, Apple seems to be working very hard to convert me from an anti-Apple to an Apple fan......
  6. #6  
    Thanks for the review; I think I could have predicted you felt that way, given your posting history here, but, I tend to believe that what you said above is just a confirmation of what every video of it appears to show and convey - it does appear to be quite the device, hands down.

    There are sgnificant reports of light bleeding on the display, but, Apple is reported to be very responsive to those who have taken them to task on it.. other than that, it appears to be a consumer love-fest.. and that can't be a bad thing.

    I agree with VisibleShadow above, as Ive stated this before in other threads.. this is great for everyone, as it raises the performance and build quality bar for compteting products like the TouchPad, so those of us with a preference for WebOS on our mobile devices could benefit from this, as, now, HP knows what they are up against, if the TouchPad is going to be a viable alternative when it debuts this summer.

    Thanks again for taking the time .. great write-up!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  7. #7  
    Thanks for the review I will be ordering mine in the next few days, when I can safe up some money, my wife played with it in the Apple store and totally loved it, this unit will be for her. She asked what is up with HP and TouchPad I told her not date of release and no apps she said that to bad for HP they loose lot of money and potential customers. I figure with the TouchPad who ever gets one will be a beta tester for HP cause the OS is not completed. As I see HP is at least 1 year away but by that time Apple will even further ahead in the market. Apple appeals to regular consumers and that is like what 95% of the market or even more and people totally love Apple products, I met a guy today who has the iPhone4 he said he totally loves cause it is so simple to use and that what he cares about, and all Apple products are simple to use. I was once a HUGE PC guy never liked Apple products till I got iMac and now I am sold on Apple and I fully understand how simple Apple products are. So now I try to get a ecosystem in my house, iMac + iPad2 + iPhone5(when it comes out) I honestly was holding out for HP product TouchPad + Pre3 but since HP is silent I decided to go with Apple, i will only get iPhone5 if the rumors are true 4" display. People love simple things and this is where Apple made there corner and no one will take that away from them. Not HP or Google, they might cut in little bit but dominate how Apple dominates that wont happen for long time, look Apple is one company, Google has few hardware suppliers releasing there OS and still there are lines for Apple products, I never saw any lines for HP or Google. Once yo uhave tried and used Apple products there is a slim chance you will go back to what ever you were using before. Trust me I was there.
  8. #8  
    Thanks for the first impressions!

    So you don't web browse too often on the iPad? I have a lot, it's actually a decent laptop replacement if I'm not doing anything that requires PC programs.

    I did notice the screen on iPad 2 was brighter in a comparison on TiPb. So they used an oleophobic coating? Does it help with fingerprints? iPad 1 is a fingerprint magnet and Apple Store told me they don't recommend screen protectors?? I'm getting one anyway.

    How's the speaker? Engadget says it's quieter than the first and mine is pretty impressive even if only mono. I'd hate too much of a volume reduction.

    I don't think I'd use the smart cover though, unless it fit into a full body case. I like the whole thing protected.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thanks for the first impressions!

    So you don't web browse too often on the iPad?


    My apologies for leaving the wrong impression. I brows the web all the time on my iPad. I just don't use Safari to do it. I prefer Perfect Web Browser. The name is a bit pretentious, but it has the right set of features for me.

    So they used an oleophobic coating? Does it help with fingerprints? iPad 1 is a fingerprint magnet and Apple Store told me they don't recommend screen protectors?? I'm getting one anyway.
    I used a screen protector on my last one for quite a while, but ended up taking it off. The screen protectors get dirty, scratched, and generally, pretty yucky. Ironically, those problems go away when you get rid of the protector. The screen seems to be bullet proof. I have a cat, though, and that makes me nervous about unprotected screens. The Smart Cover provides great peace of mind.

    How's the speaker? Engadget says it's quieter than the first and mine is pretty impressive even if only mono. I'd hate too much of a volume reduction.
    I notice no volume reduction. There may even be a slight increase, but difficult to quantify. The two things I wanted in an upgrade were more RAM and better sound. I am a bit of a sound freak. I have not encountered any built-in speaker system on any device that satisfies me. If you were happy with the sound on the first one, you lose nothing with the new one. You just don't gain much either. Serious movie watching, music listening and creation are done with headphones, or AirPlayed to external speakers.

    I don't think I'd use the smart cover though, unless it fit into a full body case. I like the whole thing protected.
    You might change your mind when you see how nice it looks and feels when naked. That didn't come out right, but I'm not going to bother editing it. I have no doubt case makers will be making Smart Cover compatible cases.
  10. #10  
    Nice review, Dan.

    You should try iCab, though. It has all the features of Perfect Web Browser with none of the hideousness.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stiffler-Dean View Post
    That's a really great and honest review of the competition.
    Damn well-written, too.
  12.    #12  
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    So what was Engadget complaining about? <-- Honest question because that sample looked pretty good to me.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    My apologies for leaving the wrong impression. I brows the web all the time on my iPad. I just don't use Safari to do it. I prefer Perfect Web Browser. The name is a bit pretentious, but it has the right set of features for me.



    I used a screen protector on my last one for quite a while, but ended up taking it off. The screen protectors get dirty, scratched, and generally, pretty yucky. Ironically, those problems go away when you get rid of the protector. The screen seems to be bullet proof. I have a cat, though, and that makes me nervous about unprotected screens. The Smart Cover provides great peace of mind.



    I notice no volume reduction. There may even be a slight increase, but difficult to quantify. The two things I wanted in an upgrade were more RAM and better sound. I am a bit of a sound freak. I have not encountered any built-in speaker system on any device that satisfies me. If you were happy with the sound on the first one, you lose nothing with the new one. You just don't gain much either. Serious movie watching, music listening and creation are done with headphones, or AirPlayed to external speakers.


    You might change your mind when you see how nice it looks and feels when naked. That didn't come out right, but I'm not going to bother editing it. I have no doubt case makers will be making Smart Cover compatible cases.
    Well I'd rather fingerprint oil get on the screen protector than the nice glass. Just an OCD thing I guess, lol. BTW, I like the iPad 1 naked too, but it needs protection IMO. I get cases for all my mobile devices. Another OCD thing maybe, but I feel better.

    Thanks for info on the speakers. I listened to a video and some guy talking on the iPad 1, and I did not have to strain my ears and the sound was pleasant. That's how acceptable the speaker is for me. Although I probably wouldn't use the speaker for everything.

    I'm going to try to take a look at an iPad 2 tonight and see for myself. Hopefully they left some out for display.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So what was Engadget complaining about? <-- Honest question because that sample looked pretty good to me.
    Probably because the specs aren't so great on the cameras. Sounds like they used the same type of sensors they put on iPod touch and indoor pictures are really grainy. These types of cameras are best in very good lighting.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #16  
    Best screen protector: Powersupportusa. However no iPad 2 protectors yet. Never had an issue with them.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So what was Engadget complaining about? <-- Honest question because that sample looked pretty good to me.
    I think it is exceedingly difficult for journalists to review something like the iPad. It is so obviously a better product than most of what they see, IMO, they have a hard time sounding objective. Therefore, they are forced to try and find some negatives to balance out an, otherwise, glowing review. Sometimes, they try way too hard.

    The cameras are an easy target. Every one of the reviewers, at one time or other, stated their opinion that high-quality still cameras are wasted on such devices. They all know that. Yet, when it comes time to write an unbiased review, they snipe at the low-quality still camera as a go-to deduction. They are equally happy to rail against the cost of Flash on a mobile device, but will trot that out as a mark against an iDevice when they need to sound balanced.

    Mossberg and Pogue have taken such a beating, they have to find at least one negative for every positive they give. At some point, the review isn't about giving an honest opinion about the product, but about seeming to be an unbiassed journalist.

    I don't blame them for this. In that business, reputation is everything. But, it does make it difficult to sort out the real facts from the face-saving nonsense.

    One last point, in spite of being able to cherry-pick the Engadget review for choice quotes, for and against, the final score was a rare 9 out of 10. That sort of puts the rest of the review into perspective.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Nice review, Dan.

    You should try iCab, though. It has all the features of Perfect Web Browser with none of the hideousness.
    I found both and am leaning toward Perfect since it looks like Windows(yeah I know ) That may be the hideousness you mean but it's OK for me. May I please have pros and cons of both?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #19  
    I agree the Engadget review was a very positive one (especially when they state the iPad2 felt like it was really the only game in town). I was just wondering what they saw with the cameras to call it so bad when the vid from the link above seemed pretty good in my eyes. Makes me also wonder what's up with their talk about the speakers when people are saying they are fine as well. That last part is not important to me because when sound matters, it will be outputted through speakers that matter as well (for me).
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think it is exceedingly difficult for journalists to review something like the iPad. It is so obviously a better product than most of what they see, IMO, they have a hard time sounding objective. Therefore, they are forced to try and find some negatives to balance out an, otherwise, glowing review. Sometimes, they try way too hard.

    The cameras are an easy target. Every one of the reviewers, at one time or other, stated their opinion that high-quality still cameras are wasted on such devices. They all know that. Yet, when it comes time to write an unbiased review, they snipe at the low-quality still camera as a go-to deduction. They are equally happy to rail against the cost of Flash on a mobile device, but will trot that out as a mark against an iDevice when they need to sound balanced.

    Mossberg and Pogue have taken such a beating, they have to find at least one negative for every positive they give. At some point, the review isn't about giving an honest opinion about the product, but about seeming to be an unbiassed journalist.

    I don't blame them for this. In that business, reputation is everything. But, it does make it difficult to sort out the real facts from the face-saving nonsense.

    One last point, in spite of being able to cherry-pick the Engadget review for choice quotes, for and against, the final score was a rare 9 out of 10. That sort of puts the rest of the review into perspective.

    Well I have to admit that I didn't like the quality of the pics they took. Fortunately cameras are not on my "must have" list. But a simple 1MP can't hurt. If they're trying to keep price down, how much could 1MP these days be? I believe they're using the same .7MP(not even a full MP) as the touch from what I've read.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions