Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What I like about the iPad are the apps that let you stream live video from your computer over any wifi. Eliminates the need to put movies on your tablet.
    Also over 3G: Airvideo, Zumocast, CineXPlayer, VLC, Video Stream & stream your tunes with AudioGalaxy etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Also over 3G: Airvideo, Zumocast, CineXPlayer, VLC, Video Stream & stream your tunes with AudioGalaxy etc.
    Air Video is spectacular, especially now that they've updated it to be compatible with 4.3 and Air Play w/ AppleTV. I couldn't be happier.
    Got my iPad 2 on launch night. It was nice of the business department at the Apple Store on Stockton in San Francisco to put one aside for me so I could pick it after work. I didn't have to wait in line or anything. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Kudos to Apple's business department for showing some love to their corporate customers.

My wife was more excited about the iPad 2 than I was, because me getting the iPad 2 means she gets my original iPad. She loves it and can't put it down. Just goes to show the original iPad is still a very robust piece of hardware. If you are looking to get into the iPad ecosystem but you don't want to drop a lot of cash get yourself an original iPad, even a refurb. You can't beat the price and you are getting 90% of the experience.

The best thing I like about the new iPad is it's thin profile along with the smart cover. The original iPad is a great looking piece of hardware but it was always hidden by a case. Even though the new smart cover doesn't cover the back, it protects the screen well. I don't really care about the back and so far it's scratch free. Time will tell but I don't think it will be a problem. Keeping the whole package thin is great and makes the iPad more portable for me.

The new GPU is sweet and the new dual core Cortex A9 inside is very fast. You can have multiple sites open in the browser without breaking a sweat. The extra RAM here also helps, keeping pages from refreshing when you are switching between them. Scrolling is typical Apple smooth. Checker boarding is few and far between.

I was a bit concerned about battery life because it really wasn't very good the first couple charges. But after 4 or 5 charges I am seeing incredible battery life, sometimes going up to 3 days without needing a charge. No different from the original which is one of the best features of the iPad.

I bought some games that were specifically tweaked for the iPad 2's new GPU. Infinity Blade and Real Racing 2 HD. Both look incredible and play with little slowdown. I would put the graphics somewhere between an Xbox and an Xbox 360. They are definitely a step above an Xbox but not quite at the 360's level. The gyroscope also really helps the games that make use of it. It is much more accurate than the accelerometer when steering for example, playing Real Racing 2 HD. I think the iPad makes an interesting gaming platform being portable and having such a huge screen. I think there will be some more killer games on the platform, in addition to the ones already taking advantage of the new hardware on the iPad 2.

Balls in your court HP. Let's see what you got.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Ouch! And the iPad2 is so much cheaper than the Xoom as well. Yikes. Nothing like making your competition look incompetent.
    Funny thing about benchmarking sw is that it can be fooled by tech it doesn't know about. As an old school PC overclocker and a big HARDOCP forum user....this was always apparent with 3DMArk and PCMark when the latest nVidia or ATi cards were released.

Same holds true for that benchmark which is not properly reading that newer PowerVR gpu. The funniest thing is the comparisons between iPad2's performance over the iPad's (an inferior spec'd device). When compared to a superior spec'd device, you CAN notice a difference. RAM matters. Witness the lag and stutter versus the Xoom.

9x performance my . If that's so, Xoom's gotta be 15x or more graphic performance (in REAL world testing)...
    What matters is whether or not people are buying it, and why.

I think the fact is, at this point in iOS, if someone is at all inclined towards iOS products, they just TRUST Apple more than the plethora of brand-less manufacturers to mostly deliver on what they promise.

Does that mean no hardware stands up to it? Not at all.

it just means, all things being equal, the risk of buying an iPad is just much less for a lot of people.
    I'm not tied to one OS. I think the Xoom does have better specs. I would have considered the Xoom but the price, carrier demands, and the fact that it's not ready scared me away cold.

What Apple did right in my case, no carrier demands and it's ready as advertised. As long as they keep it that way, iPad will be on my list.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Another good iPad 2 review:
    iPad 2: Thoughts from a first time tablet user — PaulStamatiou.com

What stands out the most is this:
    Well I picked up an iPad 2 last week (surprise surprise!) and have finally come to the conclusion that my years of gadget yearning should have taught me long ago. It is all about the apps and experience. Hardware matters only so much as it doesn't impede the experience. That's it.
    This is pretty funny:
    Maniacal Rage
    I finally got caught a break in my schedule to go checkout the iPad 2. Wow! I know this thing has been reviewed to death (just like the first one) but there's really nothing like trying it for yourself. This thing really is super. Even the wife and the little one took to it right away. Yep, this is going to be money well spent.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Typing this from my new iPad2, in part just to test how typing a sizable post would be with it. I had found someone selling one near me on craigslist for $30 over retail after tax so figured why not. My thought is to use it from now until later this year, see if the first gen touchpad truly proves itself worth buying on the first go round or if I want to hold off an examine the TP2, iPad3, and next gen droid tabs. That way I can properly evaluate my need/use for a tab. plus I know the resale value on the iPads tend to be good.

A few first impressions from this intitial few hours of use.

Design first. Wow is this thing nicely constructed. Love the metal casing making it just feel like a high end device. Feels so much more like quality than my acer netbook or my Pre. Very thin profile, very nice sized screen, and really liking the smart cover. The magnetic hookup works well and is strong, the two stand options are great (I'm using it for a typing stand now), and love the protection for the screen while flipping around fully to the back when in use. Design wise, very well done. My one issue is that I'd like it to be a tad skinnier width wise. As it is now it's a little difficult to thumb type when in portrait, though to be fair I have small fingers.

Spec wise I don't have much to compare it too as I have only used the iPad1, Tab, and Xoom in stores. I will say every part of using it feels smoother and snappier than the others I had use. Nothing really lags, nothing really stalls. It zips by quick and easy so I'm not waiting around to do what I want. As bad as I kept hearing about the cameras it's not as bad as I thought. Nothing earth shattering but definitely usable. My Pre takes better, but I have digital zoom on this so it's a bit of a wash to me. I have the 16 gig one and thats fine for me personally so not worried about it being at 16 for the TP.

App store. Don't care how many people say that a bunch of "filler" apps aren't important. One of the first things I anxiously did was jump on and grab a plethora of free programs that looked interesting. Before long I was cutting fruit, watching the Tournament, facebook chatting, viewing recipes, controlling my Verizon box, identifying music, and talking to make text. It was just fun to download and play with everything. And not really scratched the surface yet or gone to the paid side.

OS, I won't lie that I'm missing webOS. I reeeally want to swipe along the side to go back in programs or in the browser (though sadly it looks as if the TP won't let me do that either). I have tried swiping things on screen away to delete them to no avail, much to my disappointment. Multitasking is definitely there, but i miss the elegance of WebOS. Will be looking forward to iOS5 for enhanced gestures and hopefully notifications and the like. If it doesn't come as much as I like all the rest it may be a deal killer to me. This thing moves Sokol smoothly, and the screen is so responsive, but so much of the way the os works is just not intuitive for touch.

Still getting used to the thing, and i'll have a better feel for it's use and pros/cons in a week I imagines. Thus far I am liking it and happy with the purchase. I'm looking forward to both the TP and the new iOS release in coming months to see where I go from here. For the time being though I'm going to be enjoying life with a tablet and seeing where one will fit in my life for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I finally got caught a break in my schedule to go checkout the iPad 2. Wow! I know this thing has been reviewed to death (just like the first one) but there's really nothing like trying it for yourself. This thing really is super. Even the wife and the little one took to it right away. Yep, this is going to be money well spent.
    Yeah I got one for my mother who is a little technologically challenged. She was already getting the hang of it downloading podcasts and running apps and emails. The device is sure nice and thin and bright and fast. Apps are easy to get to and a lot of free good ones on the market. She was really happy with it. That magnetic case is really slick!
    nice review!

playing with my daughters ipad 2, adding a couple of my thoughts...

cameras... ok at the apple store demos i found them adequate but that was under very good lighting in the store. at home where i like low light... not bad... not great... just ok. i guess it matches well with the ipad 2 resolution. if they go with retina display, then they will have to add better cameras imo.

audio... again at the store, i couldnt hear over all the people so i was concerned. at home, to me they were very good. about twice as loud as my 3gs, and playing the same song, it sounded clearer and better than on my 3gs... almost thought it was stereo honestly.

Zyphlin, you mention wishing it were a bit skinnier... i guess eliminating the border and letting the display go edge to edge? i had thought the same thing too for a smaller size but after playing with it for just a little while, i like it the way it is.

because if you wanna hold it like a legal pad (or book or whatever), i find i want my thumb to rest on the border, wrapping my hand around and fingers on the back. one reason is that i love that it's thinner and edges contoured for a better hold... and also love that is a little lighter... but after time you still feel the weight and the sucker is slippery and I wanna have a good grip on it. the second is that with the thumb resting on the glass, youre not pressing any buttons or maybe cause scrolling on the screen with the border.

i guess i will have to find a good rubbery case for her ipad cause i can imagine an 8 year old letting it slip from her hands while walking around one day and hitting tile.

love the speed and responsiveness... no lag anywhere from the few apps I've run and the browsing I've done. the hd apps look super nice on the screen.

build quality excellent... really gotta love the aluminum construction.

havent tried the mic... tried facebook but no one on the other line. looking forward to receiving my 3g ipad2 and i'll compare the two. hoping whatever slight difference may be tweaked by the time they build mine.

i think it's a great tablet so far and happy with the purchase.
    my daughter has an asus netbook... mainly when she goes to china in the summers and i can skype her and once in a rare while an email but otherwise she rarely uses it. when we setup her email on the ipad2, she's been emailing me at work everyday when she gets home from school... so cool.

i guess because it's just so much easier and convenient to just press the home button, press mail and shoot off a quick email... no 3-4 minute boot of Windows and loading of outlook, etc. she's picking it up so fast too... wants to find the definition of a word for an assignment... hit the home twice and just use the search and let it google it for her quick (I havent even thought of using it that way... i still go an extra step or two to safari and use the search box on my iphone, lol).

having her email and seeing her use it so effectively... that alone was worth the cost for me.

can't wait to try the facebook when she is in china.

Yeah I got one for my mother who is a little technologically challenged. She was already getting the hang of it downloading podcasts and running apps and emails. The device is sure nice and thin and bright and fast. Apps are easy to get to and a lot of free good ones on the market. She was really happy with it. That magnetic case is really slick!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I decided to pick up a Ipad 2 last week at a local target who got a few in stock every morning. Standard wifi 32gb version. Gotta say, coming from a day 1 sprint pre - owner, this thing is amazing. makes the pre look ancient.

The battery life, in my opinion, is the best part. Example, ran a 5k saturday morning, pre was at 100% at the start. Just listened to my mp3s during the race, I was down to 34% getting into the car afterwards (26 minutes later, 32 degrees out). I've been going 2-3 days without charging the ipad.

I have the wifi version, and it connects perfectly to freetether. So I'll be making another donation to webos internals for that.

The other thing is the App quality. From Air Video to Flipboard, every app has been great and looks great.

Definitely sticking with the pre - phone for now. Waiting for the Pre 3 carrier announcement....
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Thoughts after 2 days now....

Battery life has been wonderful. I've streamed some basketball, played a variety of games, did a bit of music, a lot of web browsing and app downloading, etc. I finally hit 5% a few hours earlier this evening. Don't know the total time completely but that 10 hour mark seems realistic.

The UI is definitely still bugging me. Its just little things. For example, even after doing it 100 times, I STILL found myself trying to swipe from one page of apps to the next in the app store instead of hitting the next button. Why in the world Apple doesn't make their own programs more gesture friendly and less focused on buttons still mystifies me. So unintuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Thoughts after 2 days now....

Battery life has been wonderful. I've streamed some basketball, played a variety of games, did a bit of music, a lot of web browsing and app downloading, etc. I finally hit 5% a few hours earlier this evening. Don't know the total time completely but that 10 hour mark seems realistic.

The UI is definitely still bugging me. Its just little things. For example, even after doing it 100 times, I STILL found myself trying to swipe from one page of apps to the next in the app store instead of hitting the next button. Why in the world Apple doesn't make their own programs more gesture friendly and less focused on buttons still mystifies me. So unintuitive.
    I really dont think ios is unintuitive. My 3 years old daughter can play with my ipad and itouch. I didnt even teach her how to use it, she just learned it on her own. My 70 years old mom can use my ipad, she open the picture app and she enjoys the pictures in there.

Maybe you dont like how simple ios is, but ios is very intuitive.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I actually should correct myself....

iOS is not unintuitive. Its amazingly simple to use in a way most people understand, with lots and lots of buttons.

Its unintuitive from a touch experience however in many ways. Coming from a device that was significantly more optomized for touch is making it brutally obvious to me. Perhaps intuitive is the wrong word, perhaps I should use elegant isntead. And yet that doesn't exactly do it right.

The iPad is ultimately a machine, and despite Job's crowing about a "post-pc" era its intuitiveness still functions based on a PC world. We've interacted with so much technology in todays day and age that seeking out and hitting buttons is common place.

Yet due to that the iPad feels intuitive in regards to its interface as a machine, but not an intuitive experience. Some parts of it is. For example, the swiping between the home pages. Very intuitive. I want to go to the right so I swipe away what I'm looking at to pull the next ones in. It doesn't feel like I'm using a normal machine but rather an experience where I'm simply manipulating the reality before me. The same goes for their photo application

Contrast that to the app store program and I'm having to find and click a button over and over again. Simple, easy to understand, not hard to do. And yet I immiedetely feel as if I'm working in a program, dealing with a machine, rather than simply experiencing the content.

The more iOS and apple moves away from its computer mentality for parts of the OS and their applications the more immersive, the more natural, and the more "post-PC" they will actually feel. Finding and hitting a button is extremely easy and familiar to us all, because theirs little difference between doing it on the iPad than on a PC. However swiping, pinching, twisting, etc all provide a unique experience where you're interacting and manipulating the landscape before you rather than working a computer.

So intuitive from a stand point of what feels natural with regards to movements and ways to affect the world rather than intuitive in regards to knowing how to make it work.

That is one of the big strengths to WebOS personally. It may take a second longer to learn and figure out because we're so programmed to think in computer mentality. However, once you realize it the entire action feels more natural and more obvious as you go swiping through everything because it feels right in the sense of manipulating the world not what we do with a computer.
    This might be the best review yet (and a total nod to dandbj13): My Mom Reviews the iPad, Her First Computer
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456