Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Not much difference in speed doesn't seem to match other reports. And doesn't need a case? It most certainly does IMO. Because it's thinner, it needs more protection than the first one! One site confirmed the glass is indeed thinner and it appeared so to me just by tapping on it. The screen I agree though, they could have at least bumped it up to the next resolution even if they didn't go Retina.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Not much difference in speed doesn't seem to match other reports. And doesn't need a case? It most certainly does IMO. Because it's thinner, it needs more protection than the first one! One site confirmed the glass is indeed thinner and it appeared so to me just by tapping on it. The screen I agree though, they could have at least bumped it up to the next resolution even if they didn't go Retina.
    I mentioned there is an increase in speed. But it's nothing significant IMO. Especially when running the usual apps or browsing. 4.3 alone helped browsing.

I only used a case (skin really) on the first one because it was hard to hold without it slipping. The ipad 2 is easier to hold..imo again. Though i use a pouch to store it.
    It has been said that it's easier to hold, and it certainly seems lighter. I'm just thinking in terms of protection more.

As for the screen, the black bordered one makes it looks better IMO. And it certainly has deep colors(or appears so). The white one draws my eye away from the screen a bit too much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #85  
    Expect to see tons of these:

This Music Video Was Shot Entirely On An iPad 2 :: App Advice

Not bad for a crappy camera. Bottom line, tech pundits complain about whatever tech is at hand; creative people create on whatever tech is at hand.
    For fun, i tried to scan some docs using JotNot Scanner Pro for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Without a flash, you get a nice shadow (imagine the ipad 2's size over a doc with overhead lighting) on docs which makes more trouble for the camera. Results are too fuzzy to really use. Perhaps a flash would help. The iphone 4 though took great shots..even with flash off..usable.

Video isn't nearly as bad.
    Well that sucks. I hadn't thought about that. Damning evidence that a back camera is simply a marketing add on, although when Facetime'ing I think it is still useful.

I never had plans to take pictures with it, but sure saw the value in using it to scan docs.

On the plus side, you just introduced me to a great new app for my phone! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I mentioned there is an increase in speed. But it's nothing significant IMO. Especially when running the usual apps or browsing. 4.3 alone helped browsing.

I only used a case (skin really) on the first one because it was hard to hold without it slipping. The ipad 2 is easier to hold..imo again. Though i use a pouch to store it.
    How about running games?
    Not much difference in speed doesn't seem to match other reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    there is a very interesting vid from tipb you should check out running the ipad and ipad 2 side by side. They showed specifically differences i browsing. where the pages don't reload every time you change between open pages. very interesting.

why they said is more memory means the browser can store many more pages in its memory so when you click back to it it doesn't have to reload it. it can also hold more information on one page so when you scroll down you don't see the checkerboard as it reloads images. food for thought.
    There's a consensus that the cameras are as bad as iPod touch's, at least for stills. I wonder why they couldn't use a bit better sensor. I guess you have to be in a well lit area to use the cameras.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review!

However, I'm still going to wait for the TouchPad, for one simple reason: I already own an iPad, and i have since it came out. At that time it was the best tablet around, and if thought iPad 2 was now i would buy one, but...
    When iPad came out, it was the best, because it had the best build quality of the tablets around, which, at the time, all had inferior software. But now WebOS is coming to tablets, and it is simply so much better than iOS (and Android), that no ammount of apps or no thin, delicious built can make me buy a tablet without WebOS.
    - Dont get me wrong, iPad is a very nice product, but when multitasking, which i do even more on my tablet than on my phone, iOS is simply so much less effecient to work with, that it annoys me. I find myself grabbing for my Pre Plus instead of the iPad, because i can get things done faster with it, though it has a much smaller screen, and inferior processing power... WebOS <3

... and one more thing: I LOVE the idea of the smart-covers, it looks SO cool... But, when i carry my ipad in a cover, it is not to protect the screen, as much as it is to protect the beautifull aluminum backcover... The screen is quite hard to scratch, but the backside is definitly not...

Out!
  11.    #92  

There's a consensus that the cameras are as bad as iPod touch's, at least for stills. I wonder why they couldn't use a bit better sensor. I guess you have to be in a well lit area to use the cameras.
    i think it is the exact same camera as the ipod touch and that's why it sucks. Why who knows? Price maybe. the estimate i saw had it as about half the price of the camera in the xoom. But personally i've no idea why they don't use a good camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    another nice example. i think if they aren't doing the same task at the same time on the same network people may not notice when and where an upgrade may make a difference. Similar to more ram or a faster processor helping get rid of too many card issues. Plus there are some things more ram won't help and some things more memory won't help. Or so i've read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    How about running games?
    i didn't watch the whole video but one is of a guy comparing real racing 2 and the other is infinity blade.

YouTube - iPad 2 vs iPad 1: Real Racing 2 HD

YouTube - iPad 2 Vs. iPad 1: Infinity Blade
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i think it is the exact same camera as the ipod touch and that's why it sucks. Why who knows? Price maybe. the estimate i saw had it as about half the price of the camera in the xoom. But personally i've no idea why they don't use a good camera.
    Even 1.3MP with a decent sensor may have been good enough to take pics of documents. How much can a 1.3MP sensor cost these days, since 5-8MP is now the top standard on mobiles? 2MP may even be cheap.

So are you getting one? Or waiting for TouchPad? By the time I get the $700 to spare, TouchPad may be out. Though that doesn't guarantee I'll buy it. I'm pretty impressed with even the first gen. iPad. I don't generally play the big studio games that made their way onto iOS, so I can deal with the limited RAM for now.

Even 1.3MP with a decent sensor may have been good enough to take pics of documents. How much can a 1.3MP sensor cost these days, since 5-8MP is now the top standard on mobiles? 2MP may even be cheap.

So are you getting one? Or waiting for TouchPad? By the time I get the $700 to spare, TouchPad may be out. Though that doesn't guarantee I'll buy it. I'm pretty impressed with even the first gen. iPad. I don't generally play the big studio games that made their way onto iOS, so I can deal with the limited RAM for now.
    What I like about the iPad are the apps that let you stream live video from your computer over any wifi. Eliminates the need to put movies on your tablet.
    according to this ipad2 3G teardown the ipad 2/iphone touch camera costs $4.50. according to isuppli it is $4.30 while the 5 megapixel camera in a xoom costs $10. So more then twice as much. isupply says the iphone 4G 5mp camera costs $9.75. So they went cheap. why. No idea honestly.

souces: Apple iPad 2 3G Teardown -- InformationWeek
    iPad 2 carries bill of materials of US$326.60, says IHS iSuppli
    iPhone 4 Carries Bill of Materials of $187.51, According to iSuppli

No i'm getting neither because i don't have any pressing need for it. I phone and a laptop are more in line with my needs. It would totally be a luxury item. Plus they are expensive. But if i was to get one I would get the ipad 2 hands down. For me, it's not close. I play guitar and garage band and amplitube and the countless audio apps just win out not to mention the wealth of other apps. I don't play games on my phone/pc really other then a really bad game of chess. And i don't mean bad like Run DMC do. I mean i suck. But games wounldn't be the biggest draw. But to me it's about the apps choice, the execution of the package, the simplicity. WebOS is a very nice layout and it's organized well but not for me. I just wouldn't use most of the stuff they added and don't want to do without the things i want. I won't go into it but there are just so many apps that i'd want to use and i wouldn't take a leap of faith that they'll come.
    Thank you for this!
    I am far from a developer and other than the long download times, found your directions easy-peasy.

I love gestures on the iPad. Everyone I've shown it to, who has one, is anxious to unlock this feature too. Very cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Important Note

I am NOT violating an NDA when I write about this. I have the gestures on my iPad just as anyone could if they wanted to try them out. I bought the $5 xCode sample directly from the Mac App Store, by Apple, from Apple. You do not have to be a developer to buy it. Simply running the program with your iPad connected is enough to enable gestures.

The application asks for your developer credentials. If you have none, just select CANCEL. It then asks something about debug code. Just say no. Done. Not only do you automagically have the new option in Settings, the option is turned on by default. Just start swiping away.

Apple seems to have wanted people to try it out, or they have become sloppy in their old age. There are no hacks, jailbreaks, warnings, or the like. There is nothing to agree to. The feature is already in your iPad. Simply opening xCode and saying NO is all it takes to activate it.

Viddler.com - iPad iOS 4.3 multitasking gestures - Uploaded by engadget

The above video is from the first beta, but the functionality remains in tact. Assuming this will be turned on by default in iOS 5, it will be like relaunching the iPad. It adds a whole new layer to the experience.

The feature is fully baked as near as I can tell. I suspect Apple is rethinking the iPhone interface to unify the experience. Four-finger gestures do not work on a phone. Too small. On the iPad, it seems very natural. It took me all of two minutes to get used to them, and 90s of that was unnecessary. For long-time iOS users who are board and just want something new, this will fit the bill. This is a major relaunch of iOS. The iPad will be a major beneficiary.

Now, if they can do something about those notifications...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast