Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I did get a cheap iPad 1. I'm just saying I didn't have $700 to spend on the new one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Much of the improvements don't really hit you until you use it. How did Apple do this? Better specs maybe? Yeah i know..they don't matter to you. But they do apparently...

You've never posted anything anti-palm or HP?
    There is a thread for comparing specs. It is not this one. Of course I have a few anti-posts, but not in this thread. I will gladly take up the battle to the extent that the mods allow in the appropriate threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Because I didn't have $700 to spend just like that, it's easier to live with the iPad 1 until I get a chance to buy the new one. If I used only the wifi version though, I'd have lined up day one.
    Thats why you save money by getting the wifi only version and tethering it to your Palm Pre if you need to. Or Apple tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is a thread for comparing specs. It is not this one. Of course I have a few anti-posts, but not in this thread. I will gladly take up the battle to the extent that the mods allow in the appropriate threads.
    So let me get this straight. You don't compare specs in an ipad 2 review? To an ipad one? You don't think this is relevant?

There's no battle to be taken up here in some other thread. The only argument we're having is your insistence of throwing specs out the window. What exactly made you upgrade from an ipad one aside from spec changes? Here's the list that doesn't matter to you. Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

You insist that specs don't matter but sit there and marvel at how much faster it is, how your pages don't refresh, etc. Again, how do you think this happened? Magic?
    These threads aren't about "battling" each other's opinions. They are open discussions and not debates. Battles = bad. Discussions = good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Thats why you save money by getting the wifi only version and tethering it to your Palm Pre if you need to. Or Apple tethering.
    No Pre and I don't have the iPhone 4 for tethering. It costs extra anyway, which means either way AT&T gets extra cash. I could jailbreak the 3G for tethering I guess, but I won't have this phone too much longer. Another option would be to get an Android not on AT&T(I have a feeling they locked down everything) with 2.2 for the hotspot feature. Or a mifi. I'll have to look at my options when I'm ready to buy the new one.

For now, I got the old one with 3G. I really prefer 3G as the simplest, although expensive, solution for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #67  
    Comparing specs is not the same as experiential reviews. Hardware specs can give you a range of potential. They cannot tell you how fast a thing really is. What does it matter if the specs suggest a ninefold increase, if you can only feel a slight speed bump? There are so many factors that go onto performance, it diminishes the science to try and reduce it to a dumbed down comparison.

There are many products on the market that boast great hardware specs, but still deliver poor performance. The same is true in reverse. That is why we need independent reviews that go beyond the specs.

Engineers and manufacturers should be very concerned about specs, along with the rest of the science behind making a good product. End users ought to be more concerned with how the product actually performs in day to day operations.
    Comparing specs is not the same as experiential reviews. Hardware specs can give you a range of potential. They cannot tell you how fast a thing really is. What does it matter if the specs suggest a ninefold increase, if you can only feel a slight speed bump? There are so many factors that go onto performance, it diminishes the science to try and reduce it to a dumbed down comparison.

There are many products on the market that boast great hardware specs, but still deliver poor performance. The same is true in reverse. That is why we need independent reviews that go beyond the specs.

Engineers and manufacturers should be very concerned about specs, along with the rest of the science behind making a good product. End users ought to be more concerned with how the product actually performs in day to day operations.
    I honestly didn't think I would ever find a reason to give you a "thanks" for anything... lol...

+1000000000 on the bolded part. Nothing beats hands on experience. The iPad 2 purchase decision cannot rest on specs. (I went down that road with the EVO.... )
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9.    #69  
    Looks like iPad 2 will be a big win for gamers.

iPad 2 Vs. iPad 1 Showdown: Real Racing 2 HD :: App Advice

These are the kind of experiential reviews that send people running mindlessly to Apple stores.
    Looks like iPad 2 will be a big win for gamers.
    It's certainly flummoxed Nvidia: Apple trumps Nvidia in gaming tablet.
  11.    #71  
    Important Note

I am NOT violating an NDA when I write about this. I have the gestures on my iPad just as anyone could if they wanted to try them out. I bought the $5 xCode sample directly from the Mac App Store, by Apple, from Apple. You do not have to be a developer to buy it. Simply running the program with your iPad connected is enough to enable gestures.

The application asks for your developer credentials. If you have none, just select CANCEL. It then asks something about debug code. Just say no. Done. Not only do you automagically have the new option in Settings, the option is turned on by default. Just start swiping away.

Apple seems to have wanted people to try it out, or they have become sloppy in their old age. There are no hacks, jailbreaks, warnings, or the like. There is nothing to agree to. The feature is already in your iPad. Simply opening xCode and saying NO is all it takes to activate it.

Viddler.com - iPad iOS 4.3 multitasking gestures - Uploaded by engadget

The above video is from the first beta, but the functionality remains in tact. Assuming this will be turned on by default in iOS 5, it will be like relaunching the iPad. It adds a whole new layer to the experience.

The feature is fully baked as near as I can tell. I suspect Apple is rethinking the iPhone interface to unify the experience. Four-finger gestures do not work on a phone. Too small. On the iPad, it seems very natural. It took me all of two minutes to get used to them, and 90s of that was unnecessary. For long-time iOS users who are bored and just want something new, this will fit the bill. This is a major relaunch of iOS. The iPad will be a major beneficiary.

Now, if they can do something about those notifications...
    Last edited by dandbj13; 03/17/2011 at 12:16 PM.
    I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't think Apple's notification system is that bad, at least the pop up version. It would be nice if they redid email notification. I'd like to change the notification sound like on other phones for one, because the one they use is too quiet. Also they do not notify which inbox has gotten the new email. This may have changed in iOS 4.3 though, I haven't downloaded it yet. But I'm a huge procrastinator and in your face pop ups are annoying for sure, but then I have no choice but to take notice of tasks I didn't finish and the like.

I just ordered an iPad 2, but I haven't "experienced" it. I decided not to wait because I would really be choosing between version 1 products vs. a version 2 product. I cannot reasonably expect the OS or the apps to be as polished and comprehensive. I cannot expect the same third party support whether for accessories or apps.

Add to that, the headstart on customers and apps and it was really quite simple.

I don't expect to enjoy some aspects of my iPad 2 as much as I would a webOS device. I do expect to be more productive. I do expect to eliminate the frustration of waiting for an app to be developed or having to root my device to get access to something. I do expect to have many now undeveloped accessories available.

For now, I've decided to keep my Pre minus and wait it out. I do like the form factor of the Pre much more than the iPhone. I'm hoping having apps on the iPad2 will minimize my frustration. I'm hoping somebody Apple or HP comes out with a respectable 4G phone so I'm not switching to Android to tether at speed. Frankly, iPhone is heavy and big to me while iPad2 and Pre are light.

We'll see how it shakes out, but there may not be much of the consumer tablet market left once Amazon and Apple finish carving it up.
    You'll definitely be productive unless you do something that truly requires a full computer, such as use of Adobe website building products and the like. There's a large number of iOS business apps available.

Strangely enough, the Xoom is still getting lots of attention despite the hiccups. Another possible thorn for HP releasing in June. Especially if Motorola pulls it together and lowers the price(Verizon already removed the activation fee for now), and Honeycomb gets the bugs out.

Important Note

I am NOT violating an NDA when I write about this. I have the gestures on my iPad just as anyone could if they wanted to try them out. I bought the $5 xCode sample directly from the Mac App Store, by Apple, from Apple. You do not have to be a developer to buy it. Simply running the program with your iPad connected is enough to enable gestures.

The application asks for your developer credentials. If you have none, just select CANCEL. It then asks something about debug code. Just say no. Done. Not only do you automagically have the new option in Settings, the option is turned on by default. Just start swiping away.

Apple seems to have wanted people to try it out, or they have become sloppy in their old age. There are no hacks, jailbreaks, warnings, or the like. There is nothing to agree to. The feature is already in your iPad. Simply opening xCode and saying NO is all it takes to activate it.

Viddler.com - iPad iOS 4.3 multitasking gestures - Uploaded by engadget

The above video is from the first beta, but the functionality remains in tact. Assuming this will be turned on by default in iOS 5, it will be like relaunching the iPad. It adds a whole new layer to the experience.

The feature is fully baked as near as I can tell. I suspect Apple is rethinking the iPhone interface to unify the experience. Four-finger gestures do not work on a phone. Too small. On the iPad, it seems very natural. It took me all of two minutes to get used to them, and 90s of that was unnecessary. For long-time iOS users who are board and just want something new, this will fit the bill. This is a major relaunch of iOS. The iPad will be a major beneficiary.

Now, if they can do something about those notifications...
    I wish there was a way to install this via Windows so I could try it. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I just ordered an iPad 2, but I haven't "experienced" it. I decided not to wait because I would really be choosing between version 1 products vs. a version 2 product. I cannot reasonably expect the OS or the apps to be as polished and comprehensive. I cannot expect the same third party support whether for accessories or apps.

Add to that, the headstart on customers and apps and it was really quite simple.

I don't expect to enjoy some aspects of my iPad 2 as much as I would a webOS device. I do expect to be more productive. I do expect to eliminate the frustration of waiting for an app to be developed or having to root my device to get access to something. I do expect to have many now undeveloped accessories available.

For now, I've decided to keep my Pre minus and wait it out. I do like the form factor of the Pre much more than the iPhone. I'm hoping having apps on the iPad2 will minimize my frustration. I'm hoping somebody Apple or HP comes out with a respectable 4G phone so I'm not switching to Android to tether at speed. Frankly, iPhone is heavy and big to me while iPad2 and Pre are light.

We'll see how it shakes out, but there may not be much of the consumer tablet market left once Amazon and Apple finish carving it up.
    It's what i'll be doing as well. Get an iPad2 and then Pre 3. Best of both worlds.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I wish there was a way to install this via Windows so I could try it. Any ideas?
    Sorry, I don't know any way other than through xcode.
    Is anyone here using the Bluetooth keyboard? It's supposed to work with other platforms too.

i tried the ipad 2 for the first time today at the ipad store. My impressions.

i was at the front door using one. And they must have turned away 10 people in 20 minutes i was there.

it is fast and responsive. zero lag. It Feels good in the hand. Very slim. The software is amazing. Garage Band is so deep and specials. It's got recorders and guitar amp modeling, not just drums but a drum machine. iMovie seems really great and pretty impressive. It doesn't look like something for a tablet. its full of stuff that is desktop worthy. twice programs seemed to crash on me. i'm not sure if i closed them accidentally or not But i think it was a program crashing. Many have mentioned multitasking. i'll tell you. i had a youtube video playing. closed the program and did something else. Went back to youtube and it was right at the spot i left off. Honestly, multitasking is perfectly fine. Music player was stupendous. don't know if it's any different the the original ipad one but that and the movie player were great. Unlike the xoom the layout is pretty simple and easy to use. I prefer that. But its an amazingly impressive device. Anything else is gonna have a ridiculous time trying to even dent their dominance. I feel that way largely by looking at people and what they were doing. They never mentioned specs or the core outside of wifi or 3G. It seemed quite clear that it was the software selling and the feel of the ipad selling it. And with the wealth of their app catalog and slick design that will go a long way. I dont' need a ipad, i'm not looking to buy one. I surely don't have the money to spare now, and i wasn't looking to buy an ipad. But i still wouldn't mind having one just to play with. Were i in the market at this point there is the ipad 2 and nothing else is even in the conversation from my perspective. It was that good.

that was my experience at testing the ipad 2 for the first time today.
    After a few days now of using an ipad 2, i'll give some of my thoughts.

It feels like a different device in terms of design. Feels easier to hold for a longer time. Doesn't need a case like the first ipad IMO..it's more comfortable. That's a biggie because you have to be able to use the device first right?

Smartcover is pretty slick but i question whether its worth buying for actual use.

I don't see a significant difference in speed from the older ipad. 4.3 speeds up the old ipad as well for browsing. Don't get me wrong, the ipad 2 is a bit faster, but nothing to write home about.

HDMI out works great. But not sure when i would use it. An apple tv does the trick for video on a tv. And i'm not exactly going to be using an ipad for presentations.

Garage band is cool. But i'm not a musician and probably will never use it again. At 4.99 though it was low enough to see what all the excitement was about. Even so, it works on ipad one as well. The kiddo likes it.

iMovie looked like a pain to use. Much like any office program made for ipad like Numbers or Pages. Will probably never use it but had this app already on iphone..its universal.

Screen still looks the same which isn't very good for text (such as browsing or ebooks) if you're used to a screen like the iphone 4. Graphics, apps (made for ipad), and video look best.

Cameras are junk. Just enough for video chat but even that could look better.

Bottom line, i would tell ipad one owners, if they're happy now, then no reason to upgrade. For people who desire a tablet for the first time, consider a used ipad off of ebay. I've seen 3G 64gb ipads going for 500-520 usually. 16gb wifi's for 300-340. That's a pretty good chunk of savings and what you basically will only miss (IMO) of not getting the ipad 2 is the thinness, coolness factor (if that matters) and better comfort.

I'll probably ebay mine rather than return and keep the old one which was free from work. As Rene over at TIPB pointed out
    I used my original iPad a lot… until iPhone 4 was released. I still kept most of my apps and games on iPad but because iPhone 4 was so much faster I just picked it up far more often.
    . ..this was my experience as well. For me it wasn't that the iphone 4 was faster, apps better designed to accomplish tasks faster, but the screen was far better to look at. Same screen, same apps, the ipad 2 is just slightly faster.

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking already for when an ipad 3 will come along. A higher res screen would be a game changer.
    Last edited by cardfan; 03/16/2011 at 08:50 AM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast