Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Are they still not allowing people to pay in cash for an iPad? I thought they changed that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't know if apple controlled supply at the start to fuel anticipation. It would seem to make little sense. But one thing i do believe is they do have that control to make that type of decision. I did observe a sense of "you better go get this if you want it anytime soon" panic around the net.

I'm not bashing or trying to be offensive. It's unbelievable really where Apple is at and what decisions they can make or have to consider at this time. Not even a natural disaster in Japan seemed to affect the launch.
    I don't they're going international until the 25th. The Japanese launch is probably put on hold anyway though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't know if apple controlled supply at the start to fuel anticipation. It would seem to make little sense. But one thing i do believe is they do have that control to make that type of decision. I did observe a sense of "you better go get this if you want it anytime soon" panic around the net.

I'm not bashing or trying to be offensive. It's unbelievable really where Apple is at and what decisions they can make or have to consider at this time. Not even a natural disaster in Japan seemed to affect the launch.
    I get what you are saying (and I don't believe you are at all bashing; you're very reasonable I think, all the time) but I still don't buy that the demand was artificially created.

I think the reason "around the net" is because its a 2nd Gen of a product that was roundly dismissed by many people last year. And when those who waited decided to get it, they waited til this launch.

Apple has well orchestrated events - for sure. But with even 5,000 outlets (best buy, apple, etc) even if there is enough inventory for the total buy out, each location is going to be limited.

And I think demand went beyond that. And they could have delayed the launch so that more of their initial build was in hand, or they could have launched as they did.

I think any one of us making the same decision would sell what they had.

But make no mistake: SOME of those people waiting in line, and being turned away, will not come back.
    Sure, they'll just order online and wait 3 weeks lol. I seriously believe that if anyone got turned away, if they really wanted an iPad 2 that badly, they will get one.

6.    #46  
    I'm not sure I understand this latest turn in the conversation. People lined up all over the country to be among the first to get the iPad 2. Did Apple do something wrong? Should they have taken surveys to see how many people would be wanting one on day one? Should they have waited until they had 10M ready to roll? Did they do a bad thing when they ordered all those parts, or when they didn't ship enough of them at once? Which is it?

I am amazed at the powers some people ascribe to this company. They mind-controled a million ordinary people to get in lines and demand the new product. Wow! What special mind-control machine does Apple have that others don't have access to?

Was Apple purposely trying to create lines? What do you think would happen if a company tries to purposely create lines and doesn't get them? Who would like HP to try that? In previous launches where preorders were taken, people complained bitterly that those who wanted to get one on launch day from a store couldn't because most had been sold to the ones who stayed home and preordered. This way, more people got a chance to pick one up. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

If they wanted even bigger lines, they could have cut down the number of outlets the iPad 2 was sold. They could have opened early in the morning and created overnight camp-outs. If all they wanted was lines, they went about it in an odd way. But let's just say they did want lines. There would be no lines if there were not a ton of people already keyed up for this product. How long a line do you think HP could form if they used every trick at their disposal? Why is this a black mark against Apple?

I started this thread by stating that it was not a comparison, just a review. I have no desire to see this thread become just another anti-Apple thread. It is not an anti-Palm thread; it is an iPad 2 review thread. Please feel free to add your own impressions as you get them. No one should need the mods or the OP to remind anyone what the topic is, and that they should stay on it.
    dandbj13: Question for you, since I haven't gotten my iPad 2 yet.

Just how much faster does the device feel in comparison to the original iPad? My biggest quirks with the first iPad was browsing the app store often seemed sluggish and several apps that were UI-intensive seemed to sometime become sluggish (probably memory related).
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    dandbj13: Question for you, since I haven't gotten my iPad 2 yet.

Just how much faster does the device feel in comparison to the original iPad? My biggest quirks with the first iPad was browsing the app store often seemed sluggish and several apps that were UI-intensive seemed to sometime become sluggish (probably memory related).
    It feels disgustingly fast. Stuff that I never thought was slow, now seems slow in retrospect. The biggest gain is probably webpage loading. As I stated, I don't use Safari, but the benefits are across the board. Pages load as fast on the iPad 2 as they do on my desktop, or pretty close.

The App Store also benefits, but to be honest, the App Store on iDevices annoys me for reasons other than speed. Always has. Games that I played on the first iPad just fly on the second one. If you play games, it is like night and day. There is no class of mobile game too powerful for this device.

This is why I don't care over much about specs. It doesn't matter what the specs say the speed should be. In real-world usage, this actually feels more than twice as fast. People who say that the first iPad is fast enough are absolutely right, all the way up to the point when they try the iPad 2.
    Just visited the apple store... Sold out first day like most people

But wow... Nice!! Feels much nicer in hand... Gotta love the aluminum and glass and feels just as solid as the first. Flipping through pages and loading apps... It is noticeable difference from the ipad1.

Overall impression... Nice!!!
  10.    #50  

Here is another, more in depth look at the cameras. Judge for yourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Here is another, more in depth look at the cameras. Judge for yourselves.
    That's not bad at all. I'm guessing most of the complaints are from people comparing the iPad 2's cameras to the iPhone 4's.
    Try the MultiWeb browser. It's free for now, or was when I downloaded it yesterday. And it gives you 2 home pages. Nice! Although the settings don't always save right. It may need some work.

13.    #53  
    Just listened to iPad live with special guest, Dieter Bohn. Make sure to listen to the podcast for his impressions. Besides a couple of iOS rants that I don't completely disagree with, his impressions were much the same as mine.

Naturally, all the other panelists were very enthusiastic. But they can be dismissed because they are from TiPb.

This is the real deal. The positive, emotional reaction to this thing is not limited to fanatics. This river runs deep and wide. I am even more confident in my prediction that this will outsell the original times three.
    I am trying really hard not to visit local apple store and trying out new iPad 2. I know for sure it will ruine my experience with my iPad and I have to buy ipad2. I have to have a strong will power to stay with my iPad til ipad3 but it will be really hard.

Sent from Tapatalk
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I am trying really hard not to visit local apple store and trying out new iPad 2. I know for sure it will ruine my experience with my iPad and I have to buy ipad2. I have to have a strong will power to stay with my iPad til ipad3 but it will be really hard.
    You can do it. Trouble is, you are going to have to avoid more than Apple stores if you don't want to see them. You will also have to avoid airports, coffee shops, public parks... You get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post

Sent from Tapatalk
    Fortunately for you (not so much for me), it is sold out in many areas. So that should help you not buy for a little while.

If I didn't have such a hatred for lines, I'd probably have picked one up on release day.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You can do it. Trouble is, you are going to have to avoid more than Apple stores if you don't want to see them. You will also have to avoid airports, coffee shops, public parks... You get the idea.
    I know. One of my best friend bought one on the launch day. He didn't have iPad 1 and I always talk and show my iPad around him for a year, now he calls me to hang out with him and I know for sure he will bring his new iPad 2 to taunt me. I have no idea how long I can stay away from him

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The GPU performance is pretty crazy.

Ouch! And the iPad2 is so much cheaper than the Xoom as well. Yikes. Nothing like making your competition look incompetent.
    Because I didn't have $700 to spend just like that, it's easier to live with the iPad 1 until I get a chance to buy the new one. If I used only the wifi version though, I'd have lined up day one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Because I didn't have $700 to spend just like that, it's easier to live with the iPad 1 until I get a chance to buy the new one. If I used only the wifi version though, I'd have lined up day one.
    16GB 3G models are selling for $340 on Gazelle.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast