Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 118
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I found both and am leaning toward Perfect since it looks like Windows(yeah I know ) That may be the hideousness you mean but it's OK for me. May I please have pros and cons of both?
    They're both pretty similar in functionality (in the sense that both can do far more than Safari) but iCab has some nichey features that I like - for example, a download manager that links to Dropbox and better tab management. iCab also has customizable gestures for 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers. Here's a screenshot to show you what you can do with the gestures:



    It's pretty cool. I just put iCab in full screen mode and control everything with gestures.

    But, really, the biggest reason I prefer it is because those icons Perfect Browser uses for its toolbars drive me nuts.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Best screen protector: Powersupportusa. However no iPad 2 protectors yet. Never had an issue with them.
    I agree and Apple only sells that brand for everything else. But I called a 2nd store and they confirmed the "no screen protector on iPad, use a microfiber cloth" policy. Not an option in my case. I hate to keep wiping down bare glass.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    They're both pretty similar in functionality (in the sense that both can do far more than Safari) but iCab has some nichey features that I like - for example, a download manager that links to Dropbox and better tab management. iCab also has customizable gestures for 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers. Here's a screenshot to show you what you can do with the gestures:



    It's pretty cool. I just put iCab in full screen mode and control everything with gestures.

    But, really, the biggest reason I prefer it is because those icons Perfect Browser uses for its toolbars drive me nuts.
    Look sort of like Windows or Chrome you mean?

    I did see that but the splash of color sort of looks good vs. the monochrome Safari. JMO though. Download manager that downloads to Dropbox sounds good too. Decisions, decisions again. lol
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #24  
    I think that's it, actually! I'm not used to seeing actual colors in my apps.

    A couple other things I forgot to mention: iCab also has some basic ad blocking (via a built in url filter), plugin support, and integration with some third party apps I find myself using a lot - like Instapaper and GoodReader.

    Really, though, I'd say just get both and see which one you like the most. $2.99 for both browsers is a steal considering how much functionality they offer over Safari.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree and Apple only sells that brand for everything else. But I called a 2nd store and they confirmed the "no screen protector on iPad, use a microfiber cloth" policy. Not an option in my case. I hate to keep wiping down bare glass.
    Well I stumbled upon Powersupport at an Apple store in 2009. Since that time, around May 2010 I think, Apple was supposedly pulling the screen protectors. There are various reasons floating around the the net for this. I have seen 3/3Gs screen protectors in the Fifth Avenue store after that fact, but no iPad/IP4 ones.
    One of the reasons given is the employess were applying the screen protectors for customers, and if there was a bubble, they demanded a new one. That can add up. The other speculation is that Apple did not want to give the impression that their devices needed screen protectors. Who knows. But I will be applying one as soon as Powersupport has them.
  6.    #26  
    I have a folder full of browsers, iCab included. Perfect wins mostly for the quick scroll area. In a thread forty posts long, it is nice to quickly go from top to bottom with one stroke of the finger. Moving through long pages is a snap, and I tend to read long pages. Nothing wrong with the other browsers, though.
  7. #27  
    They're selling the HD anti-glare ones in Chicago, just not for iPad. I did not realize how much anti-glare helps. Yes the screen looks a bit grainy but Retina still looks good and matte with barely any greasy print marks works for me!! That's why I want a screen protector on my iPad even if Apple says I don't need one. They did not see my screen lol.

    Maybe iPad 2 doesn't need one though. iPad 1 needs one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #28  
  9. #29  
    Now, THAT is amazing:

    The A5 processor in the iPad2 is an A9 cortex dual core processor apparently running both cores at 900 mhz each, and not 1 Ghz, and, it outperforms pretty much everything available today.

    Again, that is some serious engineering in a device 30% thinner and 15% lighter.

    HP does have their challenge clearly established, at this point.

    Here's to that Qualcomm processor with the 205 GPU on the TP.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  10. #30  
    The GPU performance is pretty crazy.

  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Now, THAT is amazing:

    The A5 processor in the iPad2 is an A9 cortex dual core processor apparently running both cores at 900 mhz each, and not 1 Ghz, and, it outperforms pretty much everything available today.

    Again, that is some serious engineering in a device 30% thinner and 15% lighter.

    HP does have their challenge clearly established, at this point.

    Here's to that Qualcomm processor with the 205 GPU on the TP.
    According to the qualcomm website the chipset that the TP will have in it comes with the adreno 220 gpu, not the 205. From what I read, the adreno 220 is supposed to be several times more powerful than the 205. No idea how it compares to the powerVR sgx543 though.
  12. #32  
    iPad 2 wins as the sleekest tablet ever. I didn't have too much time to test it. I'm going back tomorrow. But it wins design awards as far as I'm concerned.

    And I did get a chance to test a Smart Cover. It's a very good screen protector, better than I thought it would be. But that's it. I was right, I will need a full body case.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #33  
    Does anyone have an opinion of Mercury Web Browser? TIA!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #34  
    The only thing I can say about the new ipad is that my dad wants one .
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    According to the qualcomm website the chipset that the TP will have in it comes with the adreno 220 gpu, not the 205. From what I read, the adreno 220 is supposed to be several times more powerful than the 205. No idea how it compares to the powerVR sgx543 though.
    Adreno 205 was comparable to SGX540 in real world performance. iPad 1 had SGX535 (half as powerful as SGX 540).

    Adreno 220 is expected to be 4-5 times more powerful than Adreno 205. I don't think Touchpad is going to be a slouch as far as hardwrae is concerned. It will all be dependent on whether or not the team can make the software optimized enough.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion of Mercury Web Browser? TIA!
    Mercury web browser works great on my iPad. It has tabs and supports downloading. Even with iPad's anemic memory I have not had any major issues with it. It has been updated fairly regularly as well. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it doesn't remember saved passwords or I haven't found a way to save 'em past a few days. Of course Safari does not support password saving either ..
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Mercury web browser works great on my iPad. It has tabs and supports downloading. Even with iPad's anemic memory I have not had any major issues with it. It has been updated fairly regularly as well. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it doesn't remember saved passwords or I haven't found a way to save 'em past a few days. Of course Safari does not support password saving either ..
    It does!

    Settings -> Safari -> AutoFill -> Names and Passwords (On)
  18. #38  
    KJBlauw and Sapient;

    Thanks for sharing that very interesting information; if its true, then its certainly a good first step to provide real performance on the TP to rival the iPad2 - I do hope they can accomplish the rest of the steps to get it there, as well - the iPad2 appears to be an incredibly fast device without sacrificing functionality, battery life or overall size.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  19. #39  
    For a thread that started out saying "throw out the specs" it seems to have devolved to that.

    Which is encouraging especially on a tech site. This "throw out the specs" is good for the masses and what companies should do to market their products. But still, we're smartphone geeks for the most part. Specs matter.

    Specs matter more if you've already decided on a platform. Should i upgrade from an ipad to an ipad 2? Show me the specs. You're already sold on the experience and it doesn't take much to figure that better specs would make that experience better.

    It's the experience that matters when you're undecided and comparing which platform to adopt. Which is basically the things not apparent in a spec sheet and comparing specs like the Xoom to the ipad isn't very telling. How smooth is the OS? Are the little details thought of in the OS? How many apps? Are they good apps? And so on.

    Apple has been marketing the experience for years by showing off the product in commercials. They insist on working models in stores (for the most part). With such a heavy following, they can control marketing like no one else can.

    Calling off preorders to get lines going in apple stores? Only Apple can do this. And yet, there's not a big uproar about it. Everything about this launch was controlled and pulled off masterfully. Even the times when you could order. Want to order online? It's already 2-3 weeks pushed back, you better get going to the store.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    For a thread that started out saying "throw out the specs" it seems to have devolved to that.

    Which is encouraging especially on a tech site. This "throw out the specs" is good for the masses and what companies should do to market their products. But still, we're smartphone geeks for the most part. Specs matter.

    Specs matter more if you've already decided on a platform. Should i upgrade from an ipad to an ipad 2? Show me the specs. You're already sold on the experience and it doesn't take much to figure that better specs would make that experience better.

    It's the experience that matters when you're undecided and comparing which platform to adopt. Which is basically the things not apparent in a spec sheet and comparing specs like the Xoom to the ipad isn't very telling. How smooth is the OS? Are the little details thought of in the OS? How many apps? Are they good apps? And so on.

    Apple has been marketing the experience for years by showing off the product in commercials. They insist on working models in stores (for the most part). With such a heavy following, they can control marketing like no one else can.

    Calling off preorders to get lines going in apple stores? Only Apple can do this. And yet, there's not a big uproar about it. Everything about this launch was controlled and pulled off masterfully. Even the times when you could order. Want to order online? It's already 2-3 weeks pushed back, you better get going to the store.

    I know its popular to theorize that they under-produce in order to drive publicity, but think of your own business (if any of you sell stuff, or sell for your employer) - you strike while the iron is hot.

    They've already got all the publicity they can use; they had to have the product ordered anyhow (iow, they aren't saving money by having an additional production run), and they risk not getting the products in the hands of people who are ****ed they waited in lines.

    (Remember, there were no pre-orders for this, so there were no "calling off" of preorders)

    So it's a popular theory but it makes absolutely NO sense in business. You have a buyer, IN LINE, with cash (actually, gotta use credit or debit at the Apple store....) you do NOT turn them away. Ever. Unless you absolutely have no choice.

    If you've ever done the costly job of driving people to the sales counter to buy, you'd know that no "aura of success" or "publicity" is worth letting them leave empty handed.

    Your cost of a customer just doubled, and I don't care how effective you are at this, but you don't ever create a model where your costs double.

    Either Apple is this brilliant marketing machine, as they are accused of, and they know that. Or they aren't. Can't have it both ways.

    The first iPhone was not a juggernaut (any more than the first Pre launch was - both got a lot of buzz, and heavy buy in by fans).

    The subsequent successful launches (wait! What happened to Verizon?! did they suddenly become poor marketers?) are a case of tightly managing promising delivery to maximize profits.

    Palm could have learned from that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions