1.    #1  
    So Im not an apple fan at all, in fact, I refuse to purchase any apple products.

But, Ive got an iPad thru work that I use for work. Been using it for about 2 months now.

I messed around with a galaxy tab. what a piece of junk.

well, today I got to mess with a xoom. and WOW.

literally the best comparison I can make is its like using windows 95 (ipad) vs. windows xp (xoom). it literally makes the iOS interface seem bland and not very capable. I felt like I had a real workspace on the xoom where the ipad makes me feel like im stuck in a single app only. being able to flip left and right through multiple work spaces on the xoom was awesome. I didnt feel trapped.

just makes me so much more anxious for a touchpad. wish it was here!

id be trading my ipad out for a xoom but the control4 controller app isnt out til may for android.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    That's interesting to hear. It seems most people feel the Xoom is not ready for primetime. I'm considering the iPad 2 myself but waiting until I can play with one before I make up my mind. What are some of the things you liked about the Xoom? Also what was your Android experience before the Xoom (if any)?
    i go to best buy and use the xoom first. i wasn't fond of it. But i have few issues with android. i like the evo and had one for about a month. But the xoom wasn't for me. To cluttered. but i guess it depends what you want.
    I've never been fond of the Honeycomb UI. I think i'd take the apple approach over android. There was simply too much going on...

that's weird because i'd munch rather have an android phone than an apple one.

obviously i'm biased towards Palm, but I think the touchpad, showcased the most effective workspace.
  5.    #5  
    i like something i feel I can use and work. thats why even at home, the ipad sits and the hp tm2 touchsmart is what I use.

my wife has an evo, ive played with a tab before. not a fan of android much at all. but the xoom just felt like it was something i could use and power use and get things accomplished. the panning "desktops" was just awesome. information i want could be updated automatically with its "Desktop widget" like interface.

with the ipad, I just feel stuck. i need to be able to view multiple things at multiple times to get things accomplished. probably why Ive always loved webos
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I like Android but I just feel the Xoom was rushed to market. I might consider playing with a WIFI only version but the whole "buy now and we'll fix it later" thing bothers me to no end.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I like Android but I just feel the Xoom was rushed to market. I might consider playing with a WIFI only version but the whole "buy now and we'll fix it later" thing bothers me to no end.
    If we ever see the wifi version, this problem will be fixed for you since the only thing it has missing would be Flash. The 3G/4G version is the one that has to be sent back, and yes that burns me too for that price.

The only thing I can think of is Motorola was aware of the impending iPad 2 coming soon and needed get the Xoom name out and with a foot in the door before the iPad rush. Any decent corporation should be up on the competition. But I'm pretty sure the iPad will be complete out the door this time. They learned from the flap of no multitasking out the door the last time. Remember 4.2 was released late in the year. It didn't stop millions from buying, but many did want that function earlier. They released the video enhancing iOS 4.3 early this year so the touted iPad 2 features will be ready out of the box.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If we ever see the wifi version, this problem will be fixed for you since the only thing it has missing would be Flash. The 3G/4G version is the one that has to be sent back, and yes that burns me too for that price.

The only thing I can think of is Motorola was aware of the impending iPad 2 coming soon and needed get the Xoom name out and with a foot in the door before the iPad rush. Any decent corporation should be up on the competition. But I'm pretty sure the iPad will be complete out the door this time. They learned from the flap of no multitasking out the door the last time. Remember 4.2 was released late in the year. It didn't stop millions from buying, but many did want that function earlier. They released the video enhancing iOS 4.3 early this year so the touted iPad 2 features will be ready out of the box.
    Yeah I'm not sure if it was clear in my post but I'm aware it is the 4G radio that will require sending back the device. I personally have no interest on a carrier connected tablet but I'm bothered by this on principle. In the end I'm guessing the 4G issue will be resolved by the time there is a wifi only version available. By the way in addition to flash, the unsupported SD thing adds to the rushed feeling for me.

I don't own a tablet yet so I'm still open, but I am leaning toward the iPad 2. I've got to get some hands on time with it first however.
    Oh yes I forgot about the SD card issue. Ok so it's not ready then, even after they get Flash out. Not to mention, no wifi version in sight except for the Sam's Club rumor. In the meantime today, iPad 2 wifi at $500 base price. True iPad has only 16GB and Xoom is 32GB at near the same price(rumor was about $530) and also no SD card. But it's ready out of the box for what they advertised.

i thought there was a good description in that mobile buffalo or whatever that site is, piece about webos phones, with the guy Jonah. They described the xoom as being very windows desktopish. i'd totally agree. i was thinking that as used it. just in that there's stuff everywhere. there where controls on the top and bottom of the screen, buttons on the side, widgets.

i actually like that the ipad2/pre are very simple in that there are applications and basically that's it. for the ipad 2 the icons are already on the desktop, for the webos you hit the launcher button then the icons pop up. honeycomb struck me like windows in that there's all kinds of stuff on the desktop. i think for the O.P. all that is probably a plus. For me i hate it. i just want the icons. i don't want all that other stuff. i like stuff clean and simple. different strokes for different folks. i just think honeycomb needs total streamlining. just a launcher and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i thought there was a good description in that mobile buffalo or whatever that site is, piece about webos phones, with the guy Jonah. They described the xoom as being very windows desktopish. i'd totally agree. i was thinking that as used it. just in that there's stuff everywhere. there where controls on the top and bottom of the screen, buttons on the side, widgets.

i actually like that the ipad2/pre are very simple in that there are applications and basically that's it. for the ipad 2 the icons are already on the desktop, for the webos you hit the launcher button then the icons pop up. honeycomb struck me like windows in that there's all kinds of stuff on the desktop. i think for the O.P. all that is probably a plus. For me i hate it. i just want the icons. i don't want all that other stuff. i like stuff clean and simple. different strokes for different folks. i just think honeycomb needs total streamlining. just a launcher and nothing more.
    You DO realize that the widgets in Android are able to be disabled right? You can have a clean "desktop" if you want it. The ability to create custom desktop themes means that you can have a blank one activated and use the others when needed.
    With Honeycomb, and Android in general, you can make the desktop as simple or as complicated as you want. Having said that, Honeycomb in it's current state is not finished and has many usability issues.
    Motorola and Google missed one key spec. It was not that the microSD was not working or the missing flash or missing 4G.

The Xoom really had every spec it needed but one: price.

You don't come to market against the entrenched leader with a $500 no-contract product with a $800 product.

At $399 for a WiFi 16GB Xoom, Motorola could have had lines as well. $800 is like a punch-line to a bad joke.
    Yes I think no contract wifi versions are sorely needed for competitors because that's where iPad cleans up. People don't want another contract. Although they really should have also matched or undercut the iPad data version price without the carriers trying to bend people over, but they did not. A $500-$550 data version on month to month might have made some people look twice at others besides iPad. Instead they demanded contracts at that price, well Samsung did. Motorola wants $600 on contract.

BTW, the Galaxy Tab wifi is finally coming at $400. People in the comments are hating on it, but I think it's about time. And especially if you can root it, it could work out. If Apple isn't your brand, this is a decent choice IMO.

Samsung Galaxy Tab's WiFi-only version rumored to cost $399, arrive on April 4th -- Engadget

Unfortunately, I think that lower price is due to running 2.2 rather than 3.0. Still, it is a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    You DO realize that the widgets in Android are able to be disabled right? You can have a clean "desktop" if you want it. The ability to create custom desktop themes means that you can have a blank one activated and use the others when needed.
    no since i didn't go messing with the setting of the xoom Best Buy. But even so i'd assume they could be since they can in android on a phone.

But you can't change the controls on the tablet from being all over the place, i can't make the icons used for controls be intuitive. either way all the xoom's i've seen on display show off the device with all that clutter so that's the way it's presented to the public. Even if you can disable it, obviously it's not obvious. It's a matter of personal taste. i don't like all that clutter.

here is the part where the guys illustrate my point. They do a better job then me describing my initial xoom experience. about the, desktop metaphor, ease of use issues, controls on all the sides. i simply had the exact same felling using the xoom.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/12/2011 at 05:30 PM.
    The reviews of both tablets you can read on PC front page:
    Motorola Xoom and Apple iPad 2 Reviewed [The Competition] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

CNET has made this speed test video below between the iPad2 and the Motorola XOOM.

The Motorola XOOM has a NVidia Tegra 2, 1GHZ dual core cpu with 1GB RAM and the Ipad 2 an A5 1GHZ dual core with 512 MB RAM

The XOOM seems faster than the iPad 2 but on the last web site loading page was very close to the XOOM.

However the XOOM won 3 of 3 over the iPad 2.

The HP TouchPad has a Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 1.2GHz with 1GB RAM, which means can be faster than both.

Web pages the Xoom might have an advantage. In gaming, the iPad2 will demolish the Xoom.
    interesting video. wow the thing moves fast.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-...a-xoom-staples