Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, yes i know that official prices of the touchpad have not been released.

A lot of people seem to think that it was unfair to compare the touchpad to the original iPad. So looking at the prices of the iPad 2, it seems as though pricing is fairly competitive if the 32 GB touchpad wifi version is 600 dollars as rumored.

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)
    The Touchpad must be as cheap as the ipad or less... if not it will fail imo...

i really love webos, but atm the touchpad has to offer a good price to be a competition.
    They need a $499 model still. If ipad 1 is still selling come summer then $399 would be a smart choice. Just look at xoom at it's price point. Once wifi xoom hits at the rumored $599 we will see if that price works.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    HP needs to beat Apple on pricing or they have absolutely no chance.

If they are the same price? No one in their right mind is going to choose this comparatively ridiculously thick, plastic, cheap-looking device with a limited selection of available applications--even if the underlying OS offers a superior user experience.

They have two options here if they plan on selling more than a few thousand TouchPads this year, and only one of them is realistic: undercut the iPad 2 on pricing, or go back to the drawing board and come up with a device that is thinner and uses higher-quality materials.
    I heard a discussion today that indicated that apple has bought components in bulk like, chips, memory, and thus, like walmart has gotten a much better volume discount and that accounts largely for their price advantage. Another thing i read yesterday when researching something, and i don't know how true it is, but they indicated that the move to a chip like the qualcomm and one other was a cost saver because it could do dual duty. Like the Qualcomm chip in the verizon iphone could do gps which used to be handled by a seperate chip in the 4g iphone so they estimated that they could save as much as $40 to build some of these devices like the ipad 2. Which would be pretty big since, for example the iphone 4 they said cost only around $178 to build. But maybe HP can do some creative chip use, finding chips that can do double duty. And use their power in buying computer components to buy bulk purchases for laptops as well as competitive prices.
    yeah android and iOS have there huge app collection as selling point, that is something webOS is missing, even if its a superior OS and has some nice features. they have to battle the biggest competition, and thats apple with its iPad, so get to the masses they will have to offer a very good price.
    It would be sad to see WebOS fail again, but even i wouldnt buy it if its as much as the ipad, even if it has 3G or more storage in its basic model. I cant care less about these...
    Im still using my 1G Touch with 8GB and im fine with that capacity and for 3G i have my Pre with mobile Hotspot.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    HP needs to beat Apple on pricing or they have absolutely no chance.

If they are the same price? No one in their right mind is going to choose this comparatively ridiculously thick, plastic, cheap-looking device with a limited selection of available applications--even if the underlying OS offers a superior user experience.
    I was thinking about this the other day, we all get fixated on apps, on interface, on the ecology but a lot of consumers buy still simply off how something feels in the store. Something lighter with a nice physicality is already half-way there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, we all get fixated on apps, on interface, on the ecology but a lot of consumers buy still simply off how something feels in the store. Something lighter with a nice physicality is already half-way there.
    Yep, just going by looks, people will be drawn to the ipad with its non plastic thinner appearance.

But there will always be those who want an "almost" product. Especially if they can save a few hundred. The Touchpad needs to be 299 tops. Position it as a consumption device along the lines of a Nook. HP will have to take a hit but think of it as positioning for next year.

Advance the ecosystem (most important thing) and next year maybe offer a redesigned PalmPad (yes..rebrand already..keep Touchpad as the low end (or high end e-reader) and try to jump up in price and dump the plastic for the palmpad.

Oh and get rid of the 7" version. Too many products. Concentrate on slab phone and 10" Palmpad and i suppose the webOS in windows integration they keep talking about.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Sadly I live on Treasure Island, so opportunities for an 185 Touchpad are fairly limited...

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But there will always be those who want an "almost" product. Especially if they can save a few hundred. The Touchpad needs to be 299 tops. Position it as a consumption device along the lines of a Nook. HP will have to take a hit but think of it as positioning for next year.

You're crazy if you think it's going to be anywhere near $299! The Nook Color is $249 and it won't do half of what the TP will. Not to mention, it's screen is nearly 3 inches larger than the Nook. Can't and won't be done.

If HP goes with a $599 price point for the TP, along the lines of the iPad 2, I'll be happy. But I'll be even happier if it's lower, especially along the lines of the original iPad.

However, lowering the price too much will make it seem like an inferior product, but keeping it too high will make people go with the decision to take the iPad over the TP... Need to get that perfect price point that doesn't make you seem desperate, but undercutting the competition just enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    You're crazy if you think it's going to be anywhere near $299! The Nook Color is $249 and it won't do half of what the TP will. Not to mention, it's screen is nearly 3 inches larger than the Nook. Can't and won't be done.

If HP goes with a $599 price point for the TP, along the lines of the iPad 2, I'll be happy. But I'll be even happier if it's lower, especially along the lines of the original iPad.

However, lowering the price too much will make it seem like an inferior product, but keeping it too high will make people go with the decision to take the iPad over the TP... Need to get that perfect price point that doesn't make you seem desperate, but undercutting the competition just enough...
    299 or bust. I wouldn't pay more for it (actually i wouldn't pay 299 for it). You got used ipads going for this. When you design a plastic ipad 1 wannabe with basically no apps, you have to price it low to sell.

Dont' have to rebrand later like i mentioned earlier, but this needs to be HP's low end offering. It's year one they need sales and ecosystem advancement asap. They can be concerned about profit next year.

This isn't a slam. It just is what it is. Get the product out, sell what you can and advance that ecosystem.

BTW on your Nook comments...exactly. That's why people might buy this at 299 over the 249 Nook that won't do half of what the Touchpad could do.
    I would definitely be all over that if it was $299. The only prob is that I don't think I can wait til summer. I don't think HP could do $299. I think $399 will have to be the price.
    Sorry if I disagree, but a lower price is not going to do this device any better. Here's my reasoning:

- They want people to value the device, if they sell it on the cheap it instantly loses value.

- Say you do have the cash to spend cause your name is Money Bags. Do you buy the $299 lesser known device, or the $499 major-cool device?

- If people go into a store to buy a device, often the are looking for the shiniest, coolest, techy thing they can put their fingerprints on. It's all down to displays, ads, store personnel training and hype. How do you get that? With money... Are you making money if you give away your main devices? Yes, HP has lots of money, but they can't just give away their products.

- A higher price makes you value your new device more, so you use it more, you treat it better, you try to learn everything you can about it. The reason webOS is losing right now is because the public has no been educated, and they'll be educated through using the devices and talking about them.

- If HP prices the devices lower they admit defeat from the start. That's a bad move.

So really, just because we want the cost to be lower doesn't mean it is in HP's best interest to lower it. I'm positive that they've thought this through enough to make the right decision, though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I don't think I can wait til summer.
    This is something I just don't understand. Who can't wait? Why can't folks wait? Me, I agonize for weeks or even months when buying a computer...looking at reviews, pricing configurations...all that jazz. Hell, it took me three weeks to decide on a digital camera! So basically, while I'd love a tablet and think it would be fun, I most certainly CAN wait until I have more selection and there is more competition out there. There is no reason I HAVE to have it right now...and I have no intention of being an early adopter (and yes, I consider this to still be the early adopter phase for tablets like this.
    Important to keep in mind that I'm talking low end base model. We often see base ends as ones you really don't want. What they really want to sell are the ones with addons & accessories.

Apple has 18 ipad 2 models. 18!! Only two of them are offered at 499. Only two are 599. 14 of them are priced over 600. But yet, the 499 price is stickied in people's minds and every conversation that pops up about tablets.

It's marketing 101.

If HP can't sell these to scale, then they can't compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If HP were going to sell a tablet for $299 or $399 then they should never have bought Palm and should have just used Android Honeycomb for free. That would have saved them $1.2 billion. Instead of funding further development of webOS, they could just have created a webOS-like skin.
    They're selling more capable netbooks for around that. Why would they think they can sell cheaper similar sized tablets for more?
    Problem with TouchPad is that we have to wait few more months to get the product. And you still have to wait atleast several months before you will see any good apps available. So you are basically the beta tester again. And HP will bring out TouchPad 2 to go against Ipad 3. So that means, you waited for good apps to be availabe on your touchpad, and there will be touchpad 2 available for you and your touchpad 1 resell value hit the floor. If TouchPad is going to price $500 or more, I think you should just get iPad 2 now, and wait for touchPad to have some good apps. And then you should sell your iPad 2 for like $400+ on craigslist. And get touchPad or touchPad 2.
    For me it's because I was wanting an ipad from when I got my first chance to try one. I didnt buy it cause i want front facing camera and facetime... wife has an iphone 4 or maybe two ipads with facetime and when she goes to china i can facetime with my daughter every day. without it, i can use my webcam and my daughter uses her netbook.

so I have already waited a year and don't wanna wait any longer. ipad2 is released, it has my front face camera. just like phones... from 2G, missed 3G due to contract and waited. palm pre was coming and that's how i found this forum but with so many hardware issues reported and exchanges, i went 3gs. missed i4 due to contract... so i am able this summer to upgrade. i5 is first choice for me unless something really awesome. I like webos. i dont buy every new refresh every year... just timing of things.

most people out there will probably wait until summer no prob... i just have an itch now and i suspect when i go and hold on of those ipad2 that i'll probably go ahead and get one now. hey maybe i'll get a touchpad for my daughter if it's $299 and they get it to support facetime. apps is not a great concern for her as long as some of the popular ones are availble like angry birds or something I've spent a lot on apps like navigon and they work with my 3gs and wifes i4 so there are other things to think about and make it hard to switch platforms. i imagine many think of those things too.
    ya know what? just came to mind... if I knew the touchpad wasnt coming until summer... BUT... they released price and said it was only going to be $299? Then I could see myself waiting 3 months longer.

I mean $299 would be a fricken deal compared to my thought of getting the 32gb 3g ipad2... for webos and has ff cam and if it were to meet my other needs and find it a solid machine, then it's just another $299 for another for my daughter.

So what I am saying is... HP shouldnt leave people in the dark. They announce the product but with no info whatsoever on set date or price or anything more than what we heard last month, most consumers have nothing to hang on to... to wait. Not when there is a solid and proven product out there now that will meet most peoples needs.
    I see the points about keeping the value up, but take a different angle.... look at the laptops. Apples cheapest is WAY more than PC's.... yet PC's sell very well.

Not to start that whole conversation, but everytime I want to try an apple, I ask myself, "But could it be XXX hundreds of dollars better?"

Look, people who like Apples seem to pay anything for them. Can HP expect that same loyalty or whatever you call it? I doubt it. Does HP sell laptops for less than $600 bucks and make money? Yes.

To me hoping for the same loyalty that Apple has for $600 for a tablet when you can buy laptops and netbooks for less is too optimistic. If I were HP, I'd go after the guy who is not an Apple junkie, and may not even have $600 bucks for anything...... but who might spend $350 - $400. That to me seems like way more people.

That may be thought process with 7 in. Cheaper, but then try to upgrade them.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 03/11/2011 at 11:56 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast