Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    geez hearing that last one reminded me of a time when adobe promised palm pre a flash player ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    no way HP will go under $600 IMO. Maybe $500 for base model, and only in US. Price drop in notebook market is result of more than decade long evolution so there is far less production costs and much more competitors. Plus, how many smartphones you have for under $500? Im talking unlocked phones not carrier subsided. It's not real to expect that Touchpad will be cheaper than new Galaxy S II phone. In HP's eyes Touchpad is top of the line and HP will try to match Ipad II price. No way they 'll go cheaper. I would like to be able to buy it for $399 but no way.
    Why can Apple release and sell their base model for $499 (and iPad 1 $399 now) and HP has to be over 600 dollars. I was strictly talking the base model wifi only. I was not talking some mac daddy super tablet with lazer guns and teleporters. But a strict basic wifi tablet 16gb base model. That could easily sell for $499 and should at least be that much. I don't see them going to $399 this year -- maybe next year the will discount TP 1 and sell TP2 at the $499 price (like Apple) but who knows.

However, I could see them -- just to be "cheaper" then the iPad pricing at $449.99. That's fifty dollars more expensive then iPad 1 and fifty dollars cheaper then the iPad 2. That would be perfect pricing, but I hardly doubt it.

Anyway thats my two cents ...
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the rest already has moved on to evos and other phones.
    just because some people have moved on to other phones does not mean they aren't loyal? they just couldn't wait for one reason or another. Once the new devices come out, people who love webOS will come back.
    No. But it doesn't mean you can count them to return so easily, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    just because some people have moved on to other phones does not mean they aren't loyal? they just couldn't wait for one reason or another. Once the new devices come out, people who love webOS will come back.
    This thread is about price comparisons. I understand the temptation to do this. But my time in sales has taught me that price is not the most important metric of a product. The key word is comparison, not price. What people will compare, first, is perceived value.

Millions might happily pay $829 for a 64GB, 3G iPad, and feel like they got a good deal because they perceived the value at $829 or higher. Others will feel cheated by a $149 Augen because they perceive the value at much less.

HP only need worry about bargain-basement pricing if they believe people will perceive the value of the TouchPad that low compared to an iPad. If HP believes the value proposition compares well, they should price it accordingly. If they want to sell the idea that the TP is an even higher value proposition than the iPad, they should price it higher. The only thing customers will compare is what they think one product is worth relative to the other, not the price.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This thread is about price comparisons. I understand the temptation to do this. But my time in sales has taught me that price is not the most important metric of a product. The key word is comparison, not price. What people will compare, first, is perceived value.

Millions might happily pay $829 for a 64GB, 3G iPad, and feel like they got a good deal because they perceived the value at $829 or higher. Others will feel cheated by a $149 Augen because they perceive the value at much less.

HP only need worry about bargain-basement pricing if they believe people will perceive the value of the TouchPad that low compared to an iPad. If HP believes the value proposition compares well, they should price it accordingly. If they want to sell the idea that the TP is an even higher value proposition than the iPad, they should price it higher. The only thing customers will compare is what they think one product is worth relative to the other, not the price.
    very true all around, the reason i started this thread is because i heard so much arguing over the ipad vs touchpad and how it should be the ipad 2 vs touchpad. i was just surprised when i saw the prices of the ipad 2 and felt it would compare well with the touchpad.

Personally
    (Wifi Only Model, 16 or 32 gb, either)
    What i would love the TP to cost: 399
    What i think it will cost: 599
    What i wont pay over for it: 699

HP only need worry about bargain-basement pricing if they believe people will perceive the value of the TouchPad that low compared to an iPad.
    Now why would people do this?

Does it look like an ipad? Yep
    Does it look like a cheaper made ipad? Yep
    Does it have any kind of app store at this point? Not really. New OS. Nothing released to devs to even start.
    Does it boast any new experience? Not really. Tap to share? But that's minor. Perhaps better speakers.

So its thicker, slower, heavier, hardly any apps, and basically a new OS that will (hopefully) be bugged out and optimized over time. Yes, people will perceive this as having the same value of the ipad. Let's charge 599. Or even 499 for the base. Sure thing.

And by the time the touchpad is released, iOS 5 will be on ipads.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Does it look like an ipad? Yep
    Does it look like a cheaper made ipad? Yep
    Does it have any kind of app store at this point? Not really. New OS. Nothing released to devs to even start.
    Does it boast any new experience? Not really. Tap to share? But that's minor. Perhaps better speakers.
    Does it look like an ipad? No, it looks nothing like the iPad. Only same screen size.

Does it look like a cheaper made ipad? I don't know, i haven't seem it in person or touched it, all i've seen are pictures and videos. You cant tell how "cheap" something is solely on pictures...

Does it have any kind of app store at this point? Needs work, yes.

Does it boast any new experience? To you maybe not... But to most who's never used webOS, simply using it alone is a new experience. Let alone webOS 3.0, the tablet version. We don't even know what its going to be like. All we have are prototype pictures and videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    You're crazy if you think it's going to be anywhere near $299! The Nook Color is $249 and it won't do half of what the TP will.
    maybe $299 is a bit extreme, but lets face it, touchpad doesn't do anymore than any android tablet can, that are useful. and it lack of a full featured browser, an nproven office app, no netflix, unproven video chat, and far less apps/

Truth is, touchpad will fail if its priced higher than iPad.

At this stage of the game, HP needs to be smarter and realize that short term profit is not a problem, market share and mind share are.
    That is an essence!
    I believe HP will value TP same as Ipad2. I don't think their values are the same, but HP certainly does.

Me,I hate IOS. I don't like using it, but I like what it can do. On other hand, I like webOS, but I don't like all it can't do.
    I think $349 for a wi-fi, base Touchpad would help make up a lot of minds. HP has to accept that the iPad is the go-to tablet at this point and price accordingly. If devotees on PreCentral have a hard time swallowing $499 or upwards, what chance is there of an entirely new customer taking the plunge?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I agree and for the TP to be considered the equal of the Ipad2 then it needs to be a clearly better product because they lack the brand prestige and image that Apple has cultivated. based on what I've seen I don't think it will be perceived as clearly a better product partly because the hardware will not be better.

How well did the pre do against the Iphone? Lets face it, Apple makes products that FEEL like a million dollars and I've yet to see a WebOS product that felt like that. It matters.

from what I've seen the TP needs to be less than an equal Ipad2 IF HP is serious about selling a significant number of these in 2011. If they just want to bring a product to market, and are planning on getting significant market share in 2013, then they can price this at a high price while they make their move in the future. To us loyal palm supporters that would suck but are there really that many of us? I am probably going to buy an IPad because I want a tablet and the downside is low because of craigslist. If i love it Palm may lose me forever. If I don't love it and the TP is reasonably priced I may remain a loyal palm supporter. I doubt I will dislike the Ipad so much that I will be willing to sell it and spend an additional $100 or more to switch to a TP. We'll see.
    So is it time to buy an iPad2? You would think HP would announce somthing before the ipad2 would be available to deter some people from buying it.

at 499 and 60K tablet optimized apps, I think its time to take the plunge once stock levels are normal(probably about 3-4 weeks)

Unless two things happen in that timeframe, I am buying an iPad2

1) HP announces more information about the TP and availability
    2) HP announces a great price on the TP(if they announce 600+ price for 16GB wifi - im out)

iPad 2 will have such great resale value that if I eventually wanted the TP I coul sale it for minimal loss, enjoyed my next 3-4 months with it and all fo its apps..

who knows, maybe if I get it I wouldnt give it up even for the luxury of webOS

-I just wished it had tabbed browsing :/
    Quote Originally Posted by howemi01 View Post
    If devotees on PreCentral have a hard time swallowing $499 or upwards, what chance is there of an entirely new customer taking the plunge?
    Ipad is not present in many markets, and looks like it never will. Also in many countries Ipad costs much more than in US. But, if HP takes same route with TP as with Pre2 and unreasonable price difference between US and UK prices, i don't know who will buy it.
    I don't know what to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    -I just wished it had tabbed browsing :/
    It can with iCab Mobile or Perfect Browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Ipad is not present in many markets, and looks like it never will. Also in many countries Ipad costs much more than in US. But, if HP takes same route with TP as with Pre2 and unreasonable price difference between US and UK prices, i don't know who will buy it.
    I don't know what to think.
    I highly doubt HP will not market or push the TP, and even the Pre 3 and veer like they did the Pre 2. The pre 2 we all knew was already in the pipeline hence the hush on its release, and no real advertisment. HP is to big and wealthy of a company to have an event on products and not push them so no that def wont happen. Also yes HP will be worldwide with their Webos products, so im pretty sure as long as the products are intact and the OS is ready they wont have a problem selling a good amount. As well as the comment above about the quaility, though I have not personally held one the reviews on it did not say it was cheap, only peoples comments as well as the Pre intially though hardware was bad, the OS and lack of applications were its real let down I know I have one still.
    I think the realistic pricing range for the HP TouchPad is $400-$600. Now it depends on how much HP can cut down and get it to at least $500 to be competitive. Hears to hoping they will succeed!!
    It's not the incompetent who destroy orgs as they're rarely in key roles. It's those in key roles, living off past successes, who kill orgs.
    The discussion always seems to be people who would be comparing th ipad vs the touchpad. What I'm saying is they should go after the people who can't drop the 500 bucks, but are still looking for something like a cheap laptop or netbook. Face it, if they're dropping 5-600 bucks, they're going to get an ipad.

BUt that's not the ONLY set of customers. People are dropping $300-450 ish on netbooks left and right. That's a LOT of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    The discussion always seems to be people who would be comparing th ipad vs the touchpad. What I'm saying is they should go after the people who can't drop the 500 bucks, but are still looking for something like a cheap laptop or netbook. Face it, if they're dropping 5-600 bucks, they're going to get an ipad.

BUt that's not the ONLY set of customers. People are dropping $300-450 ish on netbooks left and right. That's a LOT of people.
    The TouchPad can be the premium device at $499 while the Opal (7-inch) can $100 less. If they could manage that, it be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure a tablet can be made for the same price as a netbook if the touchscreen itself costs $130.
    Thats very true.
    looks like the touchpad will be ipad price range starting at 499 if so very good move by HP, and will def sell alot more compared to a Xoom and def the knockoff playbook.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast