Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, we all get fixated on apps, on interface, on the ecology but a lot of consumers buy still simply off how something feels in the store. Something lighter with a nice physicality is already half-way there.
    At the same time, sometimes people equate lighter with cheaper built. Folks are sometimes strange in their buying habits.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Important to keep in mind that I'm talking low end base model.
    Tell me, what 10" tablet have you seen with a price point of $299?

    Ok, maybe one with no wifi, 4gb of memory, a single-core 800mhz processor, half the memory, and no Beats Audio. -- Maybe that would come in $200 less than the 16gb model...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Tell me, what 10" tablet have you seen with a price point of $299?

    Ok, maybe one with no wifi, 4gb of memory, a single-core 800mhz processor, half the memory, and no Beats Audio. -- Maybe that would come in $200 less than the 16gb model...
    Well Archos and some of those type of companies have them.....but they are not very good. (By a long shot)
  4. mapenn's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #24  
    ya know what? just came to mind... if I knew the touchpad wasnt coming until summer... BUT... they released price and said it was only going to be $299? Then I could see myself waiting 3 months longer.
    Unfortunately, there is no way that the TouchPad will be that affordable.
  5. #25  
    Unfortunately, I find myself leaning towards HP being unable to beat the iPad's price.

    Reasoning? If they were coming in cheaper... don't you think they would have announced pricing BEFORE the iPad 2 went on sale in an effort to get some people to hold out from buying an iPad on launch day?

    I'm still hoping the 16gb wifi touchpad comes in at $499.
  6. chillg8r's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #26  
    The value discussion is one that HP must engage in but they also must be realistic. When Lexus came out with their LS400 many would argue it was every bit as good as a Mercedes but it was $20k less. As Lexus raised their level of esteem over time they have been able to increase their prices. Same with Acura and Infinity. ( Value = utility+esteem/price )

    Apple has earned their premium price over time, HP has not, especially wrt tablets. If they come in at the low end at $500 or higher i believe what they are signaling is that they are not serious about being a major player just yet and are buying time. That may be a good corporate strategy but it will be disappointing to many of us.

    I hope they bring this to market at $399 for the entry level model, at the most. That is the price they need to be at to sell enough units that I will be convinced that great apps and hardware progress is on the way. If they choose to just buy time and sell high end models to Palm enthusiasts then it keeps me in a "wait and see" mode. They should have an advantage that they share with Apple over other competitors, they can make money on the back end because they own the OS. Take advantage of that with the TP1.

    FWIW, I am OVER "waiting and seeing" and as much as I have been a loyal Palm owner i will bail. Just my .02.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well Archos and some of those type of companies have them.....but they are not very good. (By a long shot)
    I see... They don't even hit that price point. 8GB model is $329, 16 is $369.

    I was way off about the dumbed down specs, as the Archos hits (most) of that. However, you wouldn't find HP going that low. Plus, Archos got their OS for free. HP paid $1.2bil for theirs. They need a return.
  8. #28  
    Sounds like samsung knows where they are gonna have to price their tab.

    IMO, after watching first day ipad sales and the demand... HP will have to sell their Touchpad starting at $399.

    I think all the companies will have to price starting at $399.

    Manufacturers will be crying but I think its a win for consumers. If apple didnt come out with a $399 pad then I suspect they'd be priced too high for most people... they'd stick with a laptop in their price range. just like smartphones... before the iphone, you could only get those type of features in phones like a Nokia N95 and cost full price ($700+) unsubsidized.

    Samsung Galaxy Tab's WiFi-only version rumored to cost $399, arrive on April 4th -- Engadget
  9. #29  
    HP does not have to do Apple numbers in order for the touchpad1 to be considered a success.

    This launch will be all about grabbing mindshare. They want ipad2 owners to have buyers remorse. They want more consumers to know what webOS is. They want reviewers to be excited about webOS again and to claim it's better than iOS and android. They want to convince developers that there will be growth.

    For HP, this first round won't be all about sales numbers. My guess is the touchpad sales will be 'in line with their projections.' they won't even order an incredibly large amount.

    HP will price the touchpad similarly to the Ipad. They don't want the device to be confused with a low end device.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    HP does not have to do Apple numbers in order for the touchpad1 to be considered a success.

    This launch will be all about grabbing mindshare. They want ipad2 owners to have buyers remorse. They want more consumers to know what webOS is. They want reviewers to be excited about webOS again and to claim it's better than iOS and android. They want to convince developers that there will be growth.

    For HP, this first round won't be all about sales numbers. My guess is the touchpad sales will be 'in line with their projections.' they won't even order an incredibly large amount.

    HP will price the touchpad similarly to the Ipad. They don't want the device to be confused with a low end device.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    +1,
    I would add,
    Its about creating loyal customers first. They can expand the base later. I bet they will.
    Palm Pre did create "Extremely Loyal " customers who are ready to buy Pre 3.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    I see the points about keeping the value up, but take a different angle.... look at the laptops. Apples cheapest is WAY more than PC's.... yet PC's sell very well.

    Not to start that whole conversation, but everytime I want to try an apple, I ask myself, "But could it be XXX hundreds of dollars better?"

    Look, people who like Apples seem to pay anything for them. Can HP expect that same loyalty or whatever you call it? I doubt it. Does HP sell laptops for less than $600 bucks and make money? Yes.

    To me hoping for the same loyalty that Apple has for $600 for a tablet when you can buy laptops and netbooks for less is too optimistic. If I were HP, I'd go after the guy who is not an Apple junkie, and may not even have $600 bucks for anything...... but who might spend $350 - $400. That to me seems like way more people.

    That may be thought process with 7 in. Cheaper, but then try to upgrade them.
    I will say this again, but the $499 for the iPad is actually cheap compared to other tablets on the market. Most wifi only tablets are around the same price or more. So Apple is on target with their pricing.

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Unfortunately, I find myself leaning towards HP being unable to beat the iPad's price.

    Reasoning? If they were coming in cheaper... don't you think they would have announced pricing BEFORE the iPad 2 went on sale in an effort to get some people to hold out from buying an iPad on launch day?

    I'm still hoping the 16gb wifi touchpad comes in at $499.
    They didn't announce pricing for one reason: They didn't know what Apple was going to do. If Apple raised the iPad 2 price to $599 they could do $499 and be cheaper then iPad 2. If iPad 2 was at $499 then they might want to consider matching it or beating it by 50 dollars if they can. It's amazing what $50 dollars can do. But I don't expect the tablet to be much less then the iPad 2. I hope it's not more expensive though.
  12. #32  
    We'll see... I was just thinking that I liked the innovation of their HP laptops and they are the only ones I remember that had a cool small tablet screened laptop that I would have loved to have... But remembered the sucker was over a grand and feel they priced themselves out of having a hit and I certainly had no remorse doing without.

    For ur idea to work they have to feel they are not missing on anything the iPad does or have... Like iPad owners saying no biggie on flash (and 10+ million ipad sales to me kinda says no biggie). Apps will be the big selling point. I just found out teamviewer6 app is available on my iPhone/iPad! I should have checked the other day when I really needed it to access my work computer from the restaurant. The fact that when I need a certain type of app and almost always be able to find it now is great. Just got a new credit card ... Search chase and able to find the chase app and add it in a sec.

    Just my opinion... They should go price over mindshare.
  13. #33  
    Hmm... There are a lot of extremely loyal customers 'here'... 'now'... Cause the rest already has moved on to evos and other phones... But this loyal fanbase was not enough to keep palm from failing.

    Touchpad looks good. I hope it lives up to the hype. Just saying... Pre came out of the gate and on parity to iPhone pricing with the same thought on mindshare. Lets not have a repeat of what happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    +1,
    I would add,
    Its about creating loyal customers first. They can expand the base later. I bet they will.
    Palm Pre did create "Extremely Loyal " customers who are ready to buy Pre 3.
  14. #34  
    no way HP will go under $600 IMO. Maybe $500 for base model, and only in US. Price drop in notebook market is result of more than decade long evolution so there is far less production costs and much more competitors. Plus, how many smartphones you have for under $500? Im talking unlocked phones not carrier subsided. It's not real to expect that Touchpad will be cheaper than new Galaxy S II phone. In HP's eyes Touchpad is top of the line and HP will try to match Ipad II price. No way they 'll go cheaper. I would like to be able to buy it for $399 but no way.
    Last edited by chalx; 03/12/2011 at 08:07 AM.
  15. #35  
    I don't understand why a tablet of roughly comparable hardward should be way less. They could sell it for a similar price easy. Tablets go for $300. Phones are a different comparison because of how much may be getting kicked back to the carriers. That price is much more nebulous. I know, I know... It's a more mature market, and th os costs money to develop. But Apple Charges a premium for all their stuff, and the ipad is the same. It's not the only thought process outhere, though. I'd go after a different market (netbook price point) and if you're lucky, in a few yrs you might have a brand that could compete with apple for people who will pay a premium. You need sustainability first, and to me you can't go against the best (vying for their customers) right of the bat when there are plenty of new customers who might switch from netbooks, downgrade from a full laptop, or have never even owned something portable at all.... Just find another way to get in the race.

    the ipad may be cheap compared to other tablets, but how are those tablets doing? Why does everyone see a good strategy then try to emulate it precisely when your product has different strengths and weaknesses? They're all playing catchup and they are trying to get people to buy something at apples price or more for a product that is still perceived as inferior. You have to go after customers who have already decided NOT to buy an ipad.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 03/12/2011 at 12:25 PM.
  16. #36  
    The more I watch this saga, the more I'm convinced that HP does not care about 2011 and I'm not sure they should either.

    What HP needs is a toehold. They need to introduce a solid product that compares favorably on usability and flexibility. I don't think HP has a chance for the consumer in 2011, but if they can plant some seeds for webOS in all of its platforms, 2012-2013 could be very promising.

    For these reasons, I don't think they should worry much about price. They shouldn't worry much about the consumer market directly. They should be figuring out what those IT departments and middle-level managers want in a tablet.

    If they offer better VPN, better security, better MS Office integration, better connection to office peripherals and still maintain "credibility" with the consumer, I think that is a reasonable medium term strategy.

    They could charge a $100 premium to companies for this capability and they could have a good argument for locking out iPads from IT if HP was the 'in-house' solution.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    the ipad may be cheap compared to other tablets, but how are those tablets doing? Why does everyone see a good strategy then try to emulate it precisely when your product has different strengths and weaknesses? They're all playing catchup and they are trying to get people to buy something at apples price or more for a product that is still perceived as inferior. You have to go after customers who have already decided NOT to buy an ipad.
    Well the GTab which many people see and rate as inferior managed to knock off 20% of the iPad marketshare in Q4 of 2010 (93% to 73%). Now there's a poster who is going to come behind me and say something like:

    Quote Originally Posted by other poster that doesn't get it
    "That doesn't count because a new product release causes a surge in sales and will have an impact on that quarters marketshare, you have to look at yearly numbers..."
    To that I say, ok that's fine, but with new tablets basically being released all year in 2011 then that means that iPad's share will fall FASTER since the GTabs impact will be coupled with the Xooms, which we be coupled with the Playbook, then the Tpad, etc. And those other tablets are all seen as superior to the GTab which took 20% by itself.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    To that I say, ok that's fine, but with new tablets basically being released all year in 2011 then that means that iPad's share will fall FASTER since the GTabs impact will be coupled with the Xooms, which we be coupled with the Playbook, then the Tpad, etc. And those other tablets are all seen as superior to the GTab which took 20% by itself.
    Whatever the market evolves to, it looks like Apple will maintain a 60% share of it for the next year or so.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well the GTab which many people see and rate as inferior managed to knock off 20% of the iPad marketshare in Q4 of 2010 (93% to 73%). Now there's a poster who is going to come behind me and say something like:



    To that I say, ok that's fine, but with new tablets basically being released all year in 2011 then that means that iPad's share will fall FASTER since the GTabs impact will be coupled with the Xooms, which we be coupled with the Playbook, then the Tpad, etc. And those other tablets are all seen as superior to the GTab which took 20% by itself.
    Steve Jobs Wasn't Lying: Apple's iPad Market Share Was Really More Than 90% Last Year

    From the article...

    Using conservative figures and assumptions, I calculate iPadís tablet market share at 90% in 4Q10, and nearly 95% for 2010.
    Gee, that doesn't match what you said. See, I can find any random stat to support what I want to say just as easily as you found some random stat to support what you wanted to say. BUT, notice they are not the same. Which is why posting info like that for such a small time period is not really saying much.

    As I said in another post to you, let's see what the results are for all of 2011 when the info will be provided in Jan 2012.
  20. #40  
    Cobrakon, here's some more data for you that goes against your data...

    Revised market share for tablets that were actually sold during 4Q10:
    iPad: 6.4 million
    Android: 0.6 million
    Others: 0.1 million

    Revised iPad market share in 4Q10: 90%. For 2010, using the same procedure, I calculate that Apple sold approximately 12 million iPads, with Android selling 0.7 million tablets and 0.1 million “other” tablets sold to consumers, giving iPad approximately 95% market share for 2010. Steve Jobs wasn’t far off with his 90% iPad market share statement.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions