Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 211
  1. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #1  
    iPad 2 review -- Engadget
    LOL...so the iPad2 has been reviewed, and I had a laugh at some of the statements about what were supposedly 'advantages' over the Touchpad:

    "According to Geekbench, there's now 512MB of RAM in the iPad, bringing it up to iPhone 4 standards. That still seems on the low side to us -- a device in this class should probably be sporting 1GB, though we had no memory issues."
    ummm...how could you have memory issues on a device that can't multitask properly? I rather suspect...that BECAUSE webOS allows devices to multitask beautifully...it will get errors BECAUSE somebody is going to push the devices (above practical use) to see WHEN the errors occur...lookout for "ha! the Touchpad can only open 99 apps before you get too many cards open error"...

    " The sound seems clearer if somewhat quieter than the old version, and we can't say that there's a major improvement as far as the placement goes. It does the job, but if you're working in GarageBand (or just listening to music or watching video), you'll want good headphones or decent speakers nearby."
    I wonder how HP's Beats Audio on 2 speakers will sound compared to this? I'd hate to know I bought a tablet "to look at movies" and have to lug speakers or headsets around to hear (especially for someone who can't hear from one ear as it is already).

    "Let's just put this out there: the iPad 2 cameras are really pretty bad. They're not unusable, but it's clear that the sensors employed are not top shelf by any measure. Neither one of these produces remotely satisfying results for still shots, and in particular (when compared with something like the Xoom), the back camera just seems utterly second rate. We won't lie: we're disappointed by how low end these cameras feel. We don't expect to be doing photo shoots with a tablet (in fact, we find using a tablet in this manner to be tremendously awkward), but that doesn't mean we want a camera that produces results reminiscent of our RAZR. In short, it feels like the iPad 2 has a serious photon deficiency."
    LMAO!!! I'm sure apple fans will still find a compelling reason to knock the Touchpad's lack of rear camera...

    "We still have to take issue with the lack of Flash, however. Though many sites have begun to employ HTML5 for video and interactive elements, there's still loads of content we couldn't view because Apple won't allow Flash on its platform. We're not saying that we think the experience will be killer (though we've seen good Flash performance on a jailbroken iPad), but the option to turn it on and off would really be welcome."
    Not on the funny side really...

    "For owners of the previous generation, we don't think Apple's put a fire under you to upgrade. Unless you absolutely need cameras on your tablet, you've still got a solid piece of gear that reaps plenty of the benefits of the latest OS and apps."
    Seems like HP not feeling too off the mark producing something better than the original ipad will pay off after all...

    I do hope that the battery life test was standard between devices, and will be the same employed on the Touchpad...but that should be the case, not so?

    For all those thinking HP is TOO late in the game...perhaps not so, after all, eh? Touch-To-Share remains the identifier for me...something the ipad and iphone still cannot do...
    Last edited by nyallj; 03/10/2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Seems the word "*******" is offensive...my apologies... f a n b o y s ...lmao...
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    #2  
    So engadget recommend not to buy one?

    (Also I'm not sure this thread will exist for long, the new rules here are pretty complex - I don't think you are allow to mention the I word in this forum but since your post is a slam I think under the new rules it might be allowed to exist - it's hard to say).
  3. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #3  
    "Overall, this is a groundbreaking piece of software for tablets. It wasn't without issues -- in fact, we had some major, system-stalling crashes which required a reboot of the iPad. It's clear that there are bugs to be worked out, and that despite that A5 CPU and increased memory, a music tracking and arranging app remains a fairly heavy piece of code. Still, we found ourselves completely fascinated by GarageBand and unable to put it down. Whether you're tinkering, writing, or recording, this software's value will be clear right from the start."
    The above quote, used with the last quote in my original post, really only tells me that the reason to buy one is to use Garage Band...

    My personal motivation to get the Touchpad will be the Pre3 phone...
  4. #4  
    <<moved from TouchPad to Other Devices>>
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So engadget recommend not to buy one?
    What they said is that if you have an iPad you don't need an iPad 2. At the same time, they also said
    It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market.
    The OP simply took the few issues (valid issues) and tried to make those the focus of the article. It's a good attempt but of you read the article you see that Engadget considers it to be (while not perfect) the thing to beat.
  6. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #6  
    I guess you will read and see what you want to see...for those purchasing a new tablet, HP now has ammunition to fire with:
    The improvements? "It's thinner". HP: yep, that's so because they put something like token sound for you to hear things like pings and beeps. You will need to see what Bose has to offer for speakers to use on the thing.
    "It has a rear facing camera". Nice, if you could use it for anything useful at all anyways. It takes crappy pictures.
    "It has Garage Band". Again, nice, better call Bose. By the way, you'll need a haversack to fetch it around along with your Bose speakers.


    And those 3 things, are the only 'improvements' over the older iPad. Don't forget the part about the buggy software perfermance. "iPad2 is here people!" Yep, before everybody else, but it will perform like crap BECAUSE of the hurried distribution.
    I'll wait for HP, and hopefully, I'll get better for my money.
  7. #7  
    talk about hype, lol.
  8. #8  
    Most important will be just how well the TouchPad performs.

    The biggest asset the iPad2 has, as far as I can see, above all of the other pad solutions, is its incredible responsiveness and speed. That dual core A5 processor seems to be extremely powerful, and if you look at all of the videos and demos, its absolutely "real time" with anything you do on it.

    THAT is impressive, and I hate to say it, but I will: that will sell lots of Ipad 2's. Its instant gratification on steriods.

    So, back to my original point: if the TouchPad's speed and responsiveness, in EVERY regard, is just as good as the iPad2 (no empty cards popping up with the icon showing while the app is loading, no lag in between screen changes or button presses, etc..), then it has a chance - if not, then its my firm opinion that it will sell, but not very well, compared to the iPad 2.

    Notwithstanding the OP's comments on the article, this will be ALL about speed and performance, and there is little room in the tablemt market for a device that is going to be used for significant applications, for nay deviation from that requirement.

    IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. #9  
    The TouchPad can be a huge success and still not sell very well compared to the iPad2.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What they said is that if you have an iPad you don't need an iPad 2. At the same time, they also said
    It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market.
    Of coures, the TouchPad isn't on the market.

    Yet.
  11. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Most important will be just how well the TouchPad performs.

    The biggest asset the iPad2 has, as far as I can see, above all of the other pad solutions, is its incredible responsiveness and speed. That dual core A5 processor seems to be extremely powerful, and if you look at all of the videos and demos, its absolutely "real time" with anything you do on it.

    THAT is impressive, and I hate to say it, but I will: that will sell lots of Ipad 2's. Its instant gratification on steriods.

    So, back to my original point: if the TouchPad's speed and responsiveness, in EVERY regard, is just as good as the iPad2 (no empty cards popping up with the icon showing while the app is loading, no lag in between screen changes or button presses, etc..), then it has a chance - if not, then its my firm opinion that it will sell, but not very well, compared to the iPad 2.

    Notwithstanding the OP's comments on the article, this will be ALL about speed and performance, and there is little room in the tablemt market for a device that is going to be used for significant applications, for nay deviation from that requirement.

    IMO, of course.
    That is a very valid point indeed. But, without proper multitasking, can the ipadx AFFORD NOT to be responsive? I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a couple microseconds of lag (mind you, when the Touchpad does come out, it MAY or MAY NOT lag) to be able to have my email, browser, e-book, chat, text/phone, photo viewer/editor, video chat, ALL running at once, just like they are right now with my laptop (cumbersome, but powerful...but that is not under discussion here - I can't include the 3D editing programme in the list, but would have loved to)...

    Wouldn't you?

    Edit :- so sorry, text/phone not on the laptop...LOL, but won't that be nice if next year when HP integrates webOS with the laptops we are able to do that?
    Last edited by nyallj; 03/10/2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added text.
  12. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see how one can tout the practicality of a device that has so little app and peripheral support compared to the alternative. For most people it will be the apps that determine the usefulness of the device beyond web browsing, reading, media consumption and email. Where's the practicality in buying a device only to find an indefinite wait for apps while it depreciates in value about 50% each year?
    If you look at my list of what I want to do with the Touchpad in my post immediately above, you will see that THERE EXISTS RIGHT NOW apps to do that, and THOSE SAME APPS WILL WORK (probably better too) on the Touchpad when it does come out.
    I ask you, what more would I (and I'm sure, the majority of people) want to do with a Tablet?
  13. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    The TouchPad can be a huge success and still not sell very well compared to the iPad2.
    True. And it probably never will too. But, it will integrate with my phone seamlessly, and perhaps next year with my laptop/desktop too. Definitely will integrate seamlessly with the profusion of HP printers around.
    Apple and their products have the head start, and smart marketing, and probably a zombie consumer crowd (buying JUST BECAUSE). If HP manages 1/2 of that, they will be way ahead.
  14. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    to be able to have my email, browser, e-book, chat, text/phone, photo viewer/editor, video chat, ALL running at once,
    Pretty sure the iPad can do that now in a fashion. Not nearly as elegantly as WebOS, but its far from how you're making it out to be.
  15. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Pretty sure the iPad can do that now in a fashion. Not nearly as elegantly as WebOS, but its far from how you're making it out to be.
    and THAT, my friend, is the mostly the point...
  16. #16  
    My favorite part of the Engadget iPad 2 review: When they reviewed the browser, the picture they posted was of them browsing their own website, & the headline was from HP's Think Beyond event. TouchPad FTW

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    My favorite part of the Engadget iPad 2 review: When they reviewed the browser, the picture they posted was of them browsing their own website, & the headline was from HP's Think Beyond event.
    Could also be considered ironic that "Think Beyond" was used as a backdrop to demonstrate the iPad 2. Works both ways and depends on your P.O.V. I guess.
  18. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If that's all you want to ever do with your tablet then then probably most any tablet will probably do just fine.
    Yes...but simultaneously? Like I'm doing with my laptop now? Like webOS will allow me to do? Including forwarding calls/texts from my phone? Can you name me ONE (1) other tablet than the Touchpad that will do that (especially the last bit)? Please?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    That is a very valid point indeed. But, without proper multitasking, can the ipadx AFFORD NOT to be responsive? I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a couple microseconds of lag (mind you, when the Touchpad does come out, it MAY or MAY NOT lag) to be able to have my email, browser, e-book, chat, text/phone, photo viewer/editor, video chat, ALL running at once, just like they are right now with my laptop (cumbersome, but powerful...but that is not under discussion here - I can't include the 3D editing programme in the list, but would have loved to)...

    Wouldn't you?

    Edit :- so sorry, text/phone not on the laptop...LOL, but won't that be nice if next year when HP integrates webOS with the laptops we are able to do that?
    1. Multitasking. Im on record here at PC saying exactly that: multitasking depletes all system resources proportionate to the number of apps that are running simultaneously. If you are like some OS's, and are just shwong placeholders for an app that has been closed, that's not really multitasking, but, the common smartphone user mught believe it is, and be happy with it. WebOS keeps the aps running, albeit efficiently, and THAT will affect performance. If the TouchPad is going to boast about this difference and hope that it makes a difference to potential users, then it has to do so with real performance, and not make any excuses for lags at any level of use, unless truly excessive (99 apps, for instance). An pptmized OS and a monster CPU with lots of RAM needs to be the implementation here.

    2. Regarding "a couple of microseconds".. just remember, the average consumer isnt a geek or technically astute. If those microseconds "feel" laggy, then they will affect his/her buying decision. As I said above, I believe it will be ALL about speed and responsiveness. iPad2 has set the bar, and it is the benchmark to meet and surpass, I believe - don't trust my word - go look at the videos and see for yourself - HP, with the dual core 1.2 Qualcomm chip CAN achieve this benchmark - the question is, "will they"? WebOS is still a maturing OS and has undergone a complete rebuild... optimization is key, here, I believe, and the clock is ticking.

    3. I happen to know that a "lite" version of a fully featured 3D modeling program has been released to the Apple Store. Just sayin... (maybe, if HP can sell enough WebOS devices, I can convince the developers to port it over to WebOS, too, for the TouchPad).

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Can you explain to me how the ipad multitasking properly would work if say you were watching a video on youTube, and a text message, and an email message comes in, and you would like to switch to those apps? I mean, what are the steps using the ipad?
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions