Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    It will be different when iphone5(4in) lands on every carrier and a improved 3gs model goes cheap unlocked prepaid.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Dude really? You're so bent on proving the iPad 2 is crap that you are now claiming that a company releasing an app on it in order to make money a bad thing? They are releasing this because the iPad 2 is crap?

You are taking this way into the <<thread closed>> category.
    I beg your pardon, I am not the one who mentioned the fact that a leading speaker manufacturer has seized the opportunity to target iPad users specifically.
    Seems like the iPad users really can't understand the word hype, which is the point to this whole thread. Perhaps truth hurts so much you asking for it to be closed? But that's the prerogative of the forum owners, not a lowly member like me - who comes here to see and express opinions. I'm sorry if I appear to be so pro-HP - who bought over Palm, a company who's products I've enjoyed for years; and look forward to enjoying for years to come still - and anti-iPad/iPhone. I'm just expressing my opinion in a pro-HP site, defending that opinion against pro-Apple users - who out to bash HP products in any which forum they have time to spend it in.
    Last edited by nyallj; 03/11/2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Removed 3 periods usage
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Can you start using basic grammar conventions? This isn't a text message conversation.

The...use...of...three...periods...is...giving...me...a...head...ache.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Can you start using basic grammar conventions? This isn't a text message conversation.

The...use...of...three...periods...is...giving...me...a...head...ache.
    My apologies. So done.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But it's not a mistake, that's your misunderstanding. Apple cannot remain at 80% or so in the tablet marketplace over the long-term, they know that, that's not the game. The game is retaining quality of profits and margins, not engaging in a race to the bottom with other OEMs. The same is true for the iphone, there is absolutely no chance that their marketshare will not decline - that's not the game.
    Look, you can't have it both ways. Either the iPads are the "be all end all" and no other tablet can compete and should even try, or other pads ARE competitive and will INDEED take marketshare from the iPads. The GTab, Xoom, TPad, HTC Tab can't be "DOA" AND take Apples marketshare at the same time...which is it. My position is based on these exact same discussions that where happening in 2007 after iPhone and it too was the "be all end all" of smart phones and all others should just pack it up...look where we are now.

As to the iPhone on VZ, it was WIDELY documented ACROSS THE COUNTRY (weather effects excluded) that where it was nice and sunny out still 'no one came' to buy the iPad on VZ. The majority of "pre orders" on VZ where for those AT&T users who truly have crappy service on their network and wanted a change (we have several at my org).

Apple's flat marketshare growth the past couple of months pretty much says it all. Everyone who wanted the iPhone has one and everyone who wasn't happy with AT&T moved to VZ. The rest resist the RDF and consider other options. The true answer will be revealed in the next marketshare report.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Look, you can't have it both ways. Either the iPads are the "be all end all" and no other tablet can compete and should even try, or other pads ARE competitive and will INDEED take marketshare from the iPads. The GTab, Xoom, TPad, HTC Tab can't be "DOA" AND take Apples marketshare at the same time...which is it. My position is based on these exact same discussions that where happening in 2007 after iPhone and it too was the "be all end all" of smart phones and all others should just pack it up...look where we are now.
    My position is that in 2011 it will maintain share but it's impossible to do so in the long-term. Common sense tells you that and a basic understanding of markets tells you that.

Let's take the iphone - how is it possible for the iphone to maintain share in a world where an android device can be bought off contract for less than 100? It can't. However it can maintain margins and quality of profits - something that most of the android guys can't - that's the critical difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

As to the iPhone on VZ, it was WIDELY documented ACROSS THE COUNTRY (weather effects excluded) that where it was nice and sunny out still 'no one came' to buy the iPad on VZ. The majority of "pre orders" on VZ where for those AT&T users who truly have crappy service on their network and wanted a change (we have several at my org).

Apple's flat marketshare growth the past couple of months pretty much says it all. Everyone who wanted the iPhone has one and everyone who wasn't happy with AT&T moved to VZ. The rest resist the RDF and consider other options. The true answer will be revealed in the next marketshare report.
    I'm sorry, but I didn't know that Verizon gave sales numbers on the amount of iPhone 4's that were sold. I could have sworn they said they would give that info at the end of the quarter.

BUT, they did say that the iPhone 4 was their largest smart phone launch in their history. Again, that doesn't match up with what you posted above.

I' kinda curious as to why you always want to use blogger evidence as to the success or failure of the iPhone 4 on Verizon, instead of just waiting until Verizon gives the official numbers. Just like you use a survey of three months of sales of a new device as Apple losing hard. But, you ignore real evidence of how companies still want to make sure they have their apps out there for the iOS devices, but not so much for Android.
    Cobrakon, something else you're forgetting. Steve Cook said they could have sold more iPhone 4's if they had the manufacturing capacity.

You make it seem like iPhone 4's are setting on a shelf and collecting dust. That is not the case. They sell every one they can make. It's not like the typical Android device, where they have to slash prices to get the stuff sold after it has been on the market for 6 months.

If Apple were all about market share at any costs, then they could cheapen their products just like Android does and sell more, but they want to make as much money as possible over anything else and they are doing a damn good job at making a ton of money (4.2% market share, but over 50% of all smart phone profits) while at the same time holding their own with one iPhone model plus the previous model against the avalanche of cheap, buy-one-get-one free Android phones from the 50+ Android manufacturers. While still having the cachet of being the platform to make sure you have your app on first.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Cobrakon, something else you're forgetting. Steve Cook said they could have sold more iPhone 4's if they had the manufacturing capacity.

You make it seem like iPhone 4's are setting on a shelf and collecting dust. That is not the case. They sell every one they can make. It's not like the typical Android device, where they have to slash prices to get the stuff sold after it has been on the market for 6 months.
    When did I say or imply iPhones were sitting on shelves? I said their "marketshare was flat" which is true is you look at the marketshare reports (which come from a software service registering devices much how google counts clicks, not wild conjecture) Apple has been hovering around 24% marketshare for several months now while Android has climbed through the teens and into the thrities now.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly
    If Apple were all about market share at any costs, then they could cheapen their products just like Android does and sell more, but they want to make as much money as possible over anything else and they are doing a damn good job at making a ton of money (4.2% market share, but over 50% of all smart phone profits) while at the same time holding their own with one iPhone model plus the previous model against the avalanche of cheap, buy-one-get-one free Android phones from the 50+ Android manufacturers. While still having the cachet of being the platform to make sure you have your app on first.
    LOL, wut? Uh, you DO realize that the Droid 2, Droid X, Galaxy S, Nexus s, Atrix, etc. cost between $199 and $249 right. LMAO! Cheap phones...seriously? That's pretty weak for a counterpoint.

But, you ignore real evidence of how companies still want to make sure they have their apps out there for the iOS devices, but not so much for Android.
    REALLY???? So would that be why SONY is launching their mobile gaming platform as an ANDROID PHONE and gaming suite. Seriously, SONY with $78B in annual sales....

Xperia Play -- Engadget
    When did I say or imply iPhones were sitting on shelves? I said their "marketshare was flat" which is true is you look at the marketshare reports (which come from a software service registering devices much how google counts clicks, not wild conjecture) Apple has been hovering around 24% marketshare for several months now while Android has climbed through the teens and into the thrities now.

LOL, wut? Uh, you DO realize that the Droid 2, Droid X, Galaxy S, Nexus s, Atrix, etc. cost between $199 and $249 right. LMAO! Cheap phones...seriously? That's pretty weak for a counterpoint.

REALLY???? So would that be why SONY is launching their mobile gaming platform as an ANDROID PHONE and gaming suite. Seriously, SONY with $78B in annual sales....

Xperia Play -- Engadget
    He didn't say all android phones are cheap but they make cheaper lower margin lower end phones.

Sony is doing that to compete with apple. It's a free os with high market share.

iOS gets apps first and more exclusives. You can't argue that fact.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html

Xperia Play -- Engadget
    I'm sure if Sony could have chosen the iPhone as their platform, they would have, but I guarantee it was never an option.
    9to5Mac has been posting iPad 2 lineups from across the country all morning. Looks like the combination of hype coupled with the practicality of availability is bringing people out in droves.

edit: Engadget is linewatching too now.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm sure if Sony could have chosen the iPhone as their platform, they would have, but I guarantee it was never an option.
    And you know this because you make Sony's decisions for them. Right. This is how we hijack a post, distracting from original points, when our argument has been torn apart.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    9to5Mac has been posting iPad 2 lineups from across the country all morning. Looks like the combination of hype coupled with the practicality of availability is bringing people out in droves.

Back on track. And as some of you Apple supporters mentioned, the majority are existing iPad users. Nice. Will be nice indeed later when the Touchpad is here for another survey to be taken then.
    NNJ
    I'd be very interested in that survey. I suspect it will look similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    And you know this because you make Sony's decisions for them. Right. This is how we hijack a post, distracting from original points, when our argument has been torn apart.
    I know this because it's fact. Apple doesn't license iOS like Android thus eliminating the possibility for others to create their own hardware based on iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Yep, here's a pic just taken by someone in line at a store in Apple:

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Nyallj,

Honest questions for you.

What do you think HP's portion of the Tablet market will be percentage wise by the end of 2011? What place do you think the TouchPad will be in in regards to top selling tablets?

You keep talking in vague generalities. The TouchPad getting 1% of the market would technically cost Apple market share, but it'd hardly be something to herald as amazingly successful. What exactly is your prediction, or at least give a reasonablely specific range if not an exact number.

Xperia Play -- Engadget
    Yes, Android is going to take over the smart phone world.

Yes, Android is going to take over half the profits of all smart phones combined.

Yes, Android is going to get first dibs on all the interesting apps from all kinds of companies.

Meanwhile, in the REAL world, I'm going to check out the new iPad 2.
    Wow, I just read an article about a woman who sold her spot in the NYC line for $900. I guess that's what happens when hype meets practicality.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast