Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 211
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Sorry...saw that the video is 25 minutes long...chaired by 2 ugly MFs...who have nothing to do with HP...attempting to make a joke at the start about one hair...switched it off...
    There was actually some good "pro webOS" stuff in there. Overall it was a very good discussion.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see how one can tout the practicality of a device that has so little app and peripheral support compared to the alternative. For most people it will be the apps that determine the usefulness of the device beyond web browsing, reading, media consumption and email. Where's the practicality in buying a device only to find an indefinite wait for apps while it depreciates in value about 50% each year?
    this is EXACTLY my thought. I have/had an Ipod (bought one 3 weeks ago but will not connect to itunes so I returned it instead of exhangeing it since that would be stupid considering I can just get the new one.) and its the apps. Its 100% the apps. I'm fairly certain smoothness will fine on the touchpad, but the apps will be the major reason. While garage band seems cool, its a great creation tool. Just like iMovie. The iPad is working at showing a tablet can be a creation device, thus I do see more big creation apps coming. It also has some great office apps, productivity apps, and much more. There's far less then the iphone (65000) but there are some great apps. Plus it has netflix and apple is the only official supporter of digital copies (when you buy a movie and it has a digital copy the only way to use it and keep it is using it through itunes). With pages and keynote I can make full presentations and papers. If quickoffice for webos is anything like it is for ipad, then the touchpad will have an even harder time.

    software wise? Well, honestly... HP wins. Not sure about smoothness yet, but with 2.1 on my sprint pre I am very impressed and with what I saw on the touchpad I think hp can compete IF they get apps and DON'T go apples route. ALL apps need to be universal. IF an app is that much more advanced, offer it at price-price on pre (this would only apply to apps which would not be easily scalable or pdk apps.) none of the apps I bought on my ipod are universal so ipad does NOT have any resemblance of an environment of devices..

    some software tweaks from the ipad I do like are the ability to save passwords, folders, orientation lock, and bookmark toolbar like a pc.

    some things id like, downloads, an internal file system, ability to upload.

    but really, it'll all come down to apps. Plain and simple. I can't create documents with the quickoffice on the ipad. It lacks features like crazy. I also primarily use netflix on my ipad so netflix is a must. There are other apps id like and if I get crazy addicted to garage band I may need an equivalant lol. But software wise I am not impressed or tickled by it nearly as much as I am webos.
  3. #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    There was actually some good "pro webOS" stuff in there. Overall it was a very good discussion.
    yep people should watch it. it's a good discussion.
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I know people that spend more on Starbucks in a year than what the iPad costs. $500 to annually refresh a device you obtain entertainment from isn't some strange phenomenon.
    Esp since apple products have great resale value. Anyway, bought ipad 3 weeks ago. I was debating returning it for the new one this week (figured having the latest model would yeild me better resale value when the touchpad is available and has the apps i need) then my ipad stoped working with itunes so i ended up returning it. Miss my netflix.
  5. #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    IF they get apps and DON'T go apples route. ALL apps need to be universal. IF an app is that much more advanced, offer it at price-price on pre (this would only apply to apps which would not be easily scalable or pdk apps.) none of the apps I bought on my ipod are universal so ipad does NOT have any resemblance of an environment of devices.
    Whether an app is universal or not is controlled by the developer. I would be severely upset if I developed for webOS and was forced to provide an app across all devices for one price when I spent time making sure each version of my app delivered a specific experience for both a tablet and a phone.
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That's in line with analyst forecasts for 2011 - Apple to sell 80% and everyone to fight over the remaining 20%. I think from a market perceptive, 2011 is already over and we'll have to see if the competition bring their A game next year.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's in line with analyst forecasts for 2011 - Apple to sell 80% and everyone to fight over the remaining 20%. I think from a market perceptive, 2011 is already over and we'll have to see if the competition bring their A game next year.
    One week into March, and 2011 is "already over". Wow, you guys do things differently over there...

    And I just noticed, the analysts apparently didn't bring into consideration the iPad 2. That forcast was pretty specific - "Who is the manufacturer and what tablet device". Apple got 82%, but seems they thought everyone was buying the iPad, not the iPad2. Maybe the iPad2 wasn't available yet when they did the survey, or maybe the surveyors didn't know about it.
  8. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's in line with analyst forecasts for 2011 - Apple to sell 80% and everyone to fight over the remaining 20%. I think from a market perceptive, 2011 is already over and we'll have to see if the competition bring their A game next year.
    Good grief...just goes to show how gullible people are...you believe everything you hear, don't you?
    Quote from ChangeWave's website:
    ChangeWave found that when customers are asked which tablet device they are planning on buying, the iPad was first with 82 percent, with none of the other competitors- Motorola's Xoom, Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung's Galaxy Tab and "other"- even crossing five percent. 27 percent plan to buy in the next 3 months.
    No mention of HP here, no mention of sample size, no mention of which customers but would you believe that you can get those results if you interview 11 people? LOL...very representative indeed of the American public...
    Here's food for you brains: ChangeWave survey validity should be questioned | BlackBerry Cool
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Good grief...just goes to show how gullible people are...you believe everything you hear, don't you?
    Quote from ChangeWave's website:
    ChangeWave found that when customers are asked which tablet device they are planning on buying, the iPad was first with 82 percent, with none of the other competitors- Motorola's Xoom, Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung's Galaxy Tab and "other"- even crossing five percent. 27 percent plan to buy in the next 3 months.
    No mention of HP here, no mention of sample size, no mention of which customers but would you believe that you can get those results if you interview 11 people? LOL...very representative indeed of the American public...
    Here's food for you brains: ChangeWave survey validity should be questioned | BlackBerry Cool
    I think you've misunderstood my point - I'm not providing any commentary about the reliability of the survey, I'm simply noting that it's findings are in line with the guidance being put out by sector analysts. The survey could be completely wrong, the sector analysts could be wrong (although I don't think they are), that doesn't change that observation.
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's in line with analyst forecasts for 2011 - Apple to sell 80% and everyone to fight over the remaining 20%. I think from a market perceptive, 2011 is already over and we'll have to see if the competition bring their A game next year.
    /Family Feud Buzzer

    "XXX"


    iPad is ALREADY losing market share (20% Q4 2010) and there was JUST the GTab out at the time. This will only increase per quarter as the Xoom, HTC Tab, TPad come in, and if Apple doesn't get of their "people will buy iterative updates over and over" strategy, they will be in #3 in the Pad market just like the iPhone.

    Quote Originally Posted by IDC
    FRAMINGHAM, Mass., March 10, 2011 - According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Media Tablet and eReader Tracker, 10.1 million media tablets were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2010 (4Q10) - more than double the 4.5 million shipped in the third quarter. Apple's share came down from 93% in 3Q10 to 73% in 4Q10, but still reflected Apple's strong leadership position. Samsung's Galaxy Tab was the primary competitor in the holiday season, beating other players to market and capturing more than 17% share, while a number of smaller regional players also participated.
    IDC - Press Release - prUS22737611
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Good grief...just goes to show how gullible people are...you believe everything you hear, don't you?
    Quote from ChangeWave's website:
    ChangeWave found that when customers are asked which tablet device they are planning on buying, the iPad was first with 82 percent, with none of the other competitors- Motorola's Xoom, Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung's Galaxy Tab and "other"- even crossing five percent. 27 percent plan to buy in the next 3 months.
    No mention of HP here, no mention of sample size, no mention of which customers but would you believe that you can get those results if you interview 11 people? LOL...very representative indeed of the American public...
    Here's food for you brains: ChangeWave survey validity should be questioned | BlackBerry Cool
    Why when it's in Apple's favor people have to be gullible, but every time a survey comes out that says Android is outselling the iPhone it's 100% reliable? LOL
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    and if Apple doesn't get of their "people will buy iterative updates over and over" strategy, they will be in #3 in the Pad market just like the iPhone.
    That will happen over time anyway, it's the natural outcome of their product and pricing portfolio and their desire to hold onto margins and quality of profits. It's just not happening to any significant degree in the US in 2011. Having said that, you are comparing a single Q4 with a product launch rather than looking at the wider picture and using full year figures which is why even with new entries, I expect to see the Ipad stick to about a 76-80% share in 2011. I've seen nothing to suggest that things are going to get close or difficult before 2012 (By which time HP and others will have more compelling offering that provide a complete experience for the average consumer).
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    /Family Feud Buzzer

    "XXX"


    iPad is ALREADY losing market share (20% Q4 2010) and there was JUST the GTab out at the time. This will only increase per quarter as the Xoom, HTC Tab, TPad come in, and if Apple doesn't get of their "people will buy iterative updates over and over" strategy, they will be in #3 in the Pad market just like the iPhone.



    IDC - Press Release - prUS22737611
    You're still posting the above while totally ignoring the fact that it was a new product that was introduced which caused a spike in sales for a new product? How does that really prove anything?

    Here is something to chew on...

    http://macdailynews.com/2011/03/08/p...217;s-airplay/

    Where is the app for all the tablets out there to connect to this high end Pioneer A/V receiver? Do you think Pioneer made a mistake? According to you, Pioneer should made an app for the Samsung, or whatever device is supposedly taking market share from the iPad.

    What you are posting does not match what is happening in the real world when it comes to what tablet gets all the attention and all the interesting apps.
    Last edited by SoFly; 03/11/2011 at 08:29 AM.
  14. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Why when it's in Apple's favor people have to be gullible, but every time a survey comes out that says Android is outselling the iPhone it's 100% reliable? LOL
    LOL...beats me too...
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You're still posting the above while totally ignoring the fact that it was a new product that was introduced which caused a spike in sales for a new product? How does that really prove anything?

    Here is something to chew on...

    http://macdailynews.com/2011/03/08/p...ple’s-airplay/

    Where is the app for all the tablets out there to connect to this high end Pioneer A/V receiver? Do you think Pioneer made a mistake? According to you, Pioneer should made an app for the Samsung, or whatever device is supposedly taking market share from the iPad.

    What you are posting does not match what is happening in the real world when it comes to what tablet gets all the attention and all the interesting apps.
    When did I say 2011 was it for the iPad??? Where??? Really???

    I don't have time right now, maybe later if I feel like it to create a time line for you of Androids marketshare and Apples marketshare prior to the Droid launch up to the point that the Android eclipsed Apples 24% smartphone marketshare. I give you approximately that general timeframe for history to repeat itself with iPad. (That is unless Apple radically changes their strategy)

    How can you refute that the strategy which cost them their HUGE lead with "superior devices, experience, and software" on iPhone won't happen with iPad when they are using the EXACT SAME strategy and this time with WAY less of an app lead? I seem to recall an expression about people being doomed to repeat mistakes from the past...

    (and before you even start with "Palm is doing the same mistakes", their NOT, the difference? $137B HP at the helm instead of $939M Palm....that's different.)
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #156  
    How can you refute that the strategy which cost them their HUGE lead with "superior devices, experience, and software" on iPhone won't happen with iPad when they are using the EXACT SAME strategy and this time with WAY less of an app lead? I seem to recall an expression about people being doomed to repeat mistakes from the past...
    But it's not a mistake, that's your misunderstanding. Apple cannot remain at 80% or so in the tablet marketplace over the long-term, they know that, that's not the game. The game is retaining quality of profits and margins, not engaging in a race to the bottom with other OEMs. The same is true for the iphone, there is absolutely no chance that their marketshare will not decline - that's not the game.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    When did I say 2011 was it for the iPad??? Where??? Really???

    I don't have time right now, maybe later if I feel like it to create a time line for you of Androids marketshare and Apples marketshare prior to the Droid launch up to the point that the Android eclipsed Apples 24% smartphone marketshare. I give you approximately that general timeframe for history to repeat itself with iPad. (That is unless Apple radically changes their strategy)

    How can you refute that the strategy which cost them their HUGE lead with "superior devices, experience, and software" on iPhone won't happen with iPad when they are using the EXACT SAME strategy and this time with WAY less of an app lead? I seem to recall an expression about people being doomed to repeat mistakes from the past...

    (and before you even start with "Palm is doing the same mistakes", their NOT, the difference? $137B HP at the helm instead of $939M Palm....that's different.)
    Android got the results it got without the iPhone being on Verizon. That is the number one reason why the Droid did so well. You cannot dispute. It will be different going forward now that the iPhone is on Verizon.

    Even after all that all the Android smart phones vs the iPhone is less than 10% market share. Include all the iOS devices that Apple sells and it easily beats Android and will continue to do so.

    For the past 6 months to a year various entities have been saying that Android is growing faster than iOS. But, I gave an example of this month Pioneer released high end A/V receivers with one of them costing $2,200 and they have a couple of apps for these new products, BUT they only work with Apple's iOS devices.

    I ask you, if Android is taking away Apple's market share in smart phones at such a significant amount, where is the app from Pioneer for Android?

    Why would Pioneer want to leave out such a huge market for it's products if what you were saying is true? Why does Pioneer not get it?

    Again, I am giving you the real world results, and you are just going on surveys that someone puts on a website.

    Furthermore, the tablet market is not like the smart phone market. Apple was only on AT&T and not Verizon which didn't help them. The iPad is everywhere. So, your timeline that show's Android phones versus the iPhone is not going to be the same for the iPad vs the other tablets.
  18. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
       #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Android got the results it got without the iPhone being on Verizon. That is the number one reason why the Droid did so well. You cannot dispute. It will be different going forward now that the iPhone is on Verizon.

    Even after all that all the Android smart phones vs the iPhone is less than 10% market share. Include all the iOS devices that Apple sells and it easily beats Android and will continue to do so.

    For the past 6 months to a year various entities have been saying that Android is growing faster than iOS. But, I gave an example of this month Pioneer released high end A/V receivers with one of them costing $2,200 and they have a couple of apps for these new products, BUT they only work with Apple's iOS devices.

    I ask you, if Android is taking away Apple's market share in smart phones at such a significant amount, where is the app from Pioneer for Android?

    Why would Pioneer want to leave out such a huge market for it's products if what you were saying is true? Why does Pioneer not get it?

    Again, I am giving you the real world results, and you are just going on surveys that someone puts on a website.

    Furthermore, the tablet market is not like the smart phone market. Apple was only on AT&T and not Verizon which didn't help them. The iPad is everywhere. So, your timeline that show's Android phones versus the iPhone is not going to be the same for the iPad vs the other tablets.
    LMAO!! People, do you see my point about endgadget's bashing of the iPad's lack of quality sound? I was calling Bose all the time...seems like Pioneer had a heads up look of their own a the iPad2 and realised they can make a lot of money on it!
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    LMAO!! People, do you see my point about endgadget's bashing of the iPad's lack of quality sound? I was calling Bose all the time...seems like Pioneer had a heads up look of their own a the iPad2 and realised they can make a lot of money on it!
    Dude really? You're so bent on proving the iPad 2 is crap that you are now claiming that a company releasing an app on it in order to make money a bad thing? They are releasing this because the iPad 2 is crap?

    <edited>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/11/2011 at 10:39 AM.
  20. #160  
    Not ipad specific, but I have always wondered about the HDMI on mobile devices:

    "It's a pretty odd product, considering that you've got to have your HDMI cable stretched across your living room. Unless of course, you're just dropping your iPad off by the TV to watch some content, and never pausing or skipping anything. "

    In my mind, the crippling factor of HDMI on a mobile unit is the lack of wireless remote control (and no...telling your wife/child to change the channel after getting you a beer does not count as wireless remote capability).
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions