Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did you check the date the survey was done?
    All I saw was Feb 2011. Are you referring to a different date?
    When HP's TouchPad is ready for users, I suspect users will hear about it.
    So all the "demos" of the TP are not meant for the users to hear about it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    LMAO!!! I'm sure apple fans will still find a compelling reason to knock the Touchpad's lack of rear camera...
    There's not rear camera on the touchpad?

I personally see no reason for one on tablets. I mean really who would take a 9.7" tablet places with the intent on taking a photo?

Front facing camera I understand for video calling/chatting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If anything, why wasn't the wifi version ready since the 3G/4G version is so expensive and unfinished?
    Because without the carrier subsidy (and their commitment to the carriers to allow them a period of exclusivity - everyone knows the WiFi iPad sold 10 to 1) the numbers don't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Oh I watched the video you posted and I also watched the GB demo. This is why I asked if you don't think you were stretching it a bit. The two are not even in the same hemisphere. It's like MS Paint vs Photoshop man! Take an honest look.

To your other questions: No, I never said this couldn't exist as one app on webOS assuming the APIs are present (though I'd suggest using the PDK). Yes, GB is most certainly "more than this".
    HP might as well give up, I mean they could NEVER have a music creation app on webOS. There's just no way it could happen.

I mean garage band has multitouch instruments like drums, oh wait....

And a multitouch piano with sliding octaves and pedal control, oh wait...

And multitouch guitar with chord ability, oh wait...

And a pattern sequencer with multiple instruments, shift, copy etc. This one happens to have only drums, but there's no reason additional instruments couldn't be added.

Granted these are phone apps for the smaller Pre screen... Is it Garageband? No. Are the pieces there through which a music creation app could be created for webOS, absolutely. This was demonstrated in pieces in the Pianoman youtube clip. To rule this out as if it's some magical, unobtainable software is just drinking the kool-aid powder with too little water.

Documents and receipts are reasons for a rear camera.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seowave View Post
    There's not rear camera on the touchpad?

I personally see no reason for one on tablets. I mean really who would take a 9.7" tablet places with the intent on taking a photo?

Front facing camera I understand for video calling/chatting.
    While its usage may be limited, especially on a device like a tablet, I'd certainly rather have it than not; begin watching at 2:30:

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Because without the carrier subsidy (and their commitment to the carriers to allow them a period of exclusivity - everyone knows the WiFi iPad sold 10 to 1) the numbers don't work.
    Do you mean that if they had released the wifi version, many would not have even bothered with the carrier version? So they deliberately held back on the wifi version to get people to buy the expensive version? That's certainly possible, however it's so expensive, it's probably not selling well anyway. That backfired, I'm betting. Especially since all the hot advertised features are not working for the $800 plus tax. That would really me off!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Documents and receipts are reasons for a rear camera.
    And family chats, and "hey, (person I'm chatting with), look at this" moments and "hi Kaiser Permanente nurse, let me show you exactly what my child is doing so you can better help me" moments, etc. Lots of uses for a rear cam. Point-and-shoot is probably the smallest of them all.
    Do you mean that if they had released the wifi version, many would not have even bothered with the carrier version? So they deliberately held back on the wifi version to get people to buy the expensive version? That's certainly possible, however it's so expensive, it's probably not selling well anyway. That backfired, I'm betting. Especially since all the hot advertised features are not working for the $800 plus tax. That would really me off!!
    I probably don't need to say that I am making an assumption here. But my sense is that the manufacturers have found it very difficult to be price competitive with Apple - the $499 price caught everyone off guard - so they needed the carrier subsidy to even appear competitive - and a subsidy is predicated on sales, or at least projected sales.

Based on the iPad's sales, no carrier in their right mind would grant a subsidy of any weight, knowing that were there a WiFi options, and most of the traffic would go to that.

Apple has been clear that their 3g models, even though they are 10-20% of sales, subsidize (or have subsidized - I wouldn't be surprised if volume is doing the trick now) the $499. Meaning the 3G models are artificially higher than they would be if they weren't trying to make up a little of the profit on the lower end ones.

Just my assumptions, but it sure fits the carrier's business models, and proper pricing protocols.
    And family chats, and "hey, (person I'm chatting with), look at this" moments and "hi Kaiser Permanente nurse, let me show you exactly what my child is doing so you can better help me" moments, etc. Lots of uses for a rear cam. Point-and-shoot is probably the smallest of them all.
    I was thinking in terms of those people who think it's frivolous. Taking pictures of business documents and receipts, maybe even barcode scanning, make it not so frivolous.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Granted these are phone apps for the smaller Pre screen... Is it Garageband? No. Are the pieces there through which a music creation app could be created for webOS, absolutely. This was demonstrated in pieces in the Pianoman youtube clip. To rule this out as if it's some magical, unobtainable software is just drinking the kool-aid power with too little water.
    Again with the putting words in my mouth. I did not say it was not possible on webOS or any other platform. My comment was on the "just combine it with Enyo to have a GB competitor" post. @ $4.99, GB is brilliantly done. One does not need kool-aid to see this. But if you are into kool-aid, something as simple as the notes being expressed based on how hard you hit a key (just like it happend on my real piano) is the kind of sugar that would make said beverage pretty sweet. Again, compare both videos and judge for yourself.

I'll let this topic go now.
    I was thinking in terms of those people who think it's frivolous. Taking pictures of business documents and receipts, maybe even barcode scanning, make it not so frivolous.
    Agreed.
    Bottom line is this. Tomorrow I plan on spending 1000Gs. I would like something different, so I'm gonna check the net to see if HP will surprise me with an upstage of IP2. If no Touchpad I'll try for an IP2.
    HP might as well give up, I mean they could NEVER have a music creation app on webOS. There's just no way it could happen.

And a multitouch piano with sliding octaves and pedal control, oh wait...

And multitouch guitar with chord ability, oh wait...

And a pattern sequencer with multiple instruments, shift, copy etc. This one happens to have only drums, but there's no reason additional instruments couldn't be added.

Granted these are phone apps for the smaller Pre screen... Is it Garageband? No. Are the pieces there through which a music creation app could be created for webOS, absolutely. This was demonstrated in pieces in the Pianoman youtube clip. To rule this out as if it's some magical, unobtainable software is just drinking the kool-aid powder with too little water.

Cute. But a long long way to go: ProMusicApps
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/10/2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You also have to consider that Samsung's "sales" were to retailers, not customers.
    Reatilers are Samsung's customers.
    All I saw was Feb 2011. Are you referring to a different date?
    Is it your contention that the survey was done after HP's event.
    So all the "demos" of the TP are not meant for the users to hear about it yet?
    Not at all, I never said anything similar. I said "When HP's TouchPad is ready for users, I suspect users will hear about it. ". If I had added a "not before", or even said customers won't hear about it until then, you'd have a point. Barring either, I don't know how you could have been confused, but I won't speculate. .

The demos are not HPs marketing campaign. Just a very small part of it. The serious marketing, as mentioned in the article, will kick in as the devices become available.
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/10/2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Reatilers are Samsung's customers.
    And the iPod Touch and iPad are iOS devices along with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

You do realise that after Endgadjet's review, the only reason to buy the ipad2 is garage band?

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07
    Bottom line is this. Tomorrow I plan on spending 1000Gs. I would like something different, so I'm gonna check the net to see if HP will surprise me with an upstage of IP2. If no Touchpad I'll try for an IP2.
    Read the review...look yourself in the mirror...and ask "why do I need an iPad2?"

I read earlier too that lots of people ditching their iPads to get the iPad2! After only 1 year, you get rid of 'the thing I'm most in love with' to get the iPad2? There's loyalty for you. I mean, after the review "the cameras might as well not have been there, given how crappy they are", "it's thinner yet, but at the expense of proper sound - better buy yourself headsets/set of speakers", "it has Garage Band"...
    So you ditch the iPad to get Garage Band?
    Not that I'm worried mind you, and HP must be smiling at that news...because for the one of you with the impressive 80% graph of iPad2 wannabe owners...a HUGE percentage will be current iPad users! LOL...
    I hear, and see on TV about the crowds that flock for these new releases, and the majority of them have the immediately prior version...and some scenes from those 'undead' movies come to mind...like a flock of sheep, mindless zombies, hands outstretched: 'give me - Jobs said so'...
    I almost feel sorry for you...
    But you have to look at yourselves in the mirror every morning and answer why? No sense coming here trying to justify your wasting money on a piece of junk...
    Thinner and faster seem enough to get many people to buy the new one. It's their business if they want a new one over the old.

The way you responded to sinsin07 was presumptuous. Justify wasting money on a piece of junk?? I'm betting that "piece of junk" will be a huge commodity come tomorrow.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/10/2011 at 10:25 PM.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Thinner and faster seem enough to get many people to buy the new one. It's their business if they want a new one over the old.
    LOL! Thanks...good evening laugh that...