Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    1. Multitasking. Im on record here at PC saying exactly that: multitasking depletes all system resources proportionate to the number of apps that are running simultaneously. If you are like some OS's, and are just shwong placeholders for an app that has been closed, that's not really multitasking, but, the common smartphone user mught believe it is, and be happy with it. WebOS keeps the aps running, albeit efficiently, and THAT will affect performance. If the TouchPad is going to boast about this difference and hope that it makes a difference to potential users, then it has to do so with real performance, and not make any excuses for lags at any level of use, unless truly excessive (99 apps, for instance). An pptmized OS and a monster CPU with lots of RAM needs to be the implementation here.

2. Regarding "a couple of microseconds".. just remember, the average consumer isnt a geek or technically astute. If those microseconds "feel" laggy, then they will affect his/her buying decision. As I said above, I believe it will be ALL about speed and responsiveness. iPad2 has set the bar, and it is the benchmark to meet and surpass, I believe - don't trust my word - go look at the videos and see for yourself - HP, with the dual core 1.2 Qualcomm chip CAN achieve this benchmark - the question is, "will they"? WebOS is still a maturing OS and has undergone a complete rebuild... optimization is key, here, I believe, and the clock is ticking.

3. I happen to know that a "lite" version of a fully featured 3D modeling program has been released to the Apple Store. Just sayin... (maybe, if HP can sell enough WebOS devices, I can convince the developers to port it over to WebOS, too, for the TouchPad).

I love how you put it here...absolutely right:
    the average consumer is not geeky, and as such would not have come to these sites and viewed the benchmarks...Displayed side by side, how do you think the webOS tablet would fare when compared to the ipad to the 'average, non geeky consumer'? After all, would they notice that 'couple of microseconds'?
    Then you show them ah...the battery needs charging...let's rest it on the Touchstone ('OH WOW, automatic photo frame!), touch our Pre3 to it and pick up where we were (jaw-drops)...
    Nice to hear about that 3D modelling programme...indeed...if ported to webOS...here is where I can see a HUGE advantage for webOS...seamless integration with my computer (for rendering those high quality pics)....
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Taharka;

Not as elegant and intuitive as WebOS, IMO, but it works for most people today, and that's all that counts to most current users.

In the future, this will not be the case, I believe, as they will want more of a desktop experience on their Pad/Tablet devices, if they do evolve into quasi-PC replacement devices. In that regard, WebOS is way ahead of the pack.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

webOS and iOS unitask's just as well as the other. Neither allows for true multitasking, in the sense that you can do or view multiple things (read windows/apps) at a time.
    I like how on the Engadget review, the Safari screenshot is showing the article for webOS in the banner.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Honestly, none of this comes down to speed, or performance, or memory, or sound quality, or multitasking, or any of that technical stuff. Its all about lifestyle. Apple doesn't sell devices, they sell a lifestyle. And that lifestyle is supported by devices that just work - you buy it, you turn it on, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. No patching, no hacking, no rooting required. And it just works because Apple maintains tight control over what you can and cannot do with their devices.

Palm tried to sell a lifestyle, but I think they were just a little too esoteric for most people. HP may have the resources to compete with Apple when their products actually get to market, but if they focus on trying to sell the features of the devices, they will fail.

Don't get me wrong - I love webOS and my Pre. I look forward to getting a Touchpad someday when I can justify the expense. Right now, when I show people what I can do with my Pre (or with my Archos android tablet for that matter) they are amazed and say, "Yeah, I'm gonna get one of those iPads."
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Then you show them ah...the battery needs charging...
    No fair! It will be days before you show them that the iPad 2 needs to charge.

According to Engadget
    Not surprisingly, Apple promises major battery life on the iPad 2. Though the device has been physically trimmed down, the company says users can expect the same longevity we witnessed in the previous version. In our testing, this was 100 percent true. For the first few days we used the device we didn't even bother plugging it in. In fact, even during heavy use -- 3G and WiFi on, app testing (heavy work in GarageBand in particular), browsing, news reading, emailing, picture / video taking, and music listening -- we neglected to plug the iPad 2 into a socket for a span of about five days. When we did plug it in, the battery percentage was still only hovering around the low 30s.
    Can you explain to me how the ipad multitasking properly would work if say you were watching a video on youTube, and a text message, and an email message comes in, and you would like to switch to those apps? I mean, what are the steps using the ipad?
    Sure. It's quite simular to the touchpad. You hit the home button and choose your app.

IF it's a recently used app you double click the home button and choose your app.

Hopefully thats clear enough for you.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Taharka;

Not as elegant and intuitive as WebOS, IMO, but it works for most people today, and that's all that counts to most current users.

In the future, this will not be the case, I believe, as they will want more of a desktop experience on their Pad/Tablet devices, if they do evolve into quasi-PC replacement devices. In that regard, WebOS is way ahead of the pack.
    Understood. I've decided to stay out of the "multitasking argument" because I've recently realized that it's a moot point. I only provided the like because the question was asked about "how it's done on the iPad". You have some valid points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Pretty sure the iPad can do that now in a fashion. Not nearly as elegantly as WebOS, but its far from how you're making it out to be.
    Go ahead and tout the "elegance" and the "real multi-tasking."

Everyone saw how important that was to the public in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    Honestly, none of this comes down to speed, or performance, or memory, or sound quality, or multitasking, or any of that technical stuff. Its all about lifestyle. Apple doesn't sell devices, they sell a lifestyle. And that lifestyle is supported by devices that just work - you buy it, you turn it on, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. No patching, no hacking, no rooting required. And it just works because Apple maintains tight control over what you can and cannot do with their devices.

Palm tried to sell a lifestyle, but I think they were just a little too esoteric for most people. HP may have the resources to compete with Apple when their products actually get to market, but if they focus on trying to sell the features of the devices, they will fail.

Don't get me wrong - I love webOS and my Pre. I look forward to getting a Touchpad someday when I can justify the expense. Right now, when I show people what I can do with my Pre (or with my Archos android tablet for that matter) they are amazed and say, "Yeah, I'm gonna get one of those iPads."
    I understand what you are saying, and agree, to a moderate point - yes, it is all about marketting, but you have to have a good product behind the marketting to back it up.

Lifestyle or not, the iPad2 appears to be an impressive device, and, I believe that many people who have no interest in such a device, and arent techically knowledgable, may walk into an Apple store and try one out.. its at THAT point, THAT experience of speed, responsiveness and power, along with the usual Apple slick design appeal, that will make many sales -

It's like walking into Brookstone or, the Sharper Image - you arent looking for anything in particular, just wandering around and seeing all of the new innovative stuff that they come up with, and lo and behold, you try something, and its just too cool, and, that's when you begin to change your status from window shopping to potential buyer - without that speed and responsiveness, its just another device that looks cool, but you get the feeling that it wouldnt really be of much use to you.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The most important advantage is still: iPad 2 is out tomorrow and many of the old iPad users are selling to get the new one. TouchPad: still MIA unless we get a more definite release time frame than "summer" or "the coming months". And we still have to go through Spring with the iPad 2 gaining momentum all through that season.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    No fair! It will be days before you show them that the iPad 2 needs to charge.

According to Engadget
    LOL! Wonderful how they didn't charge for 5 days indeed...yet the battery life test done running the video loop lasted 10.3 hours.
    I was a little skeptical when I read that indeed...10.3 hours over 5 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The most important advantage is still: iPad 2 is out tomorrow and many of the old iPad users are selling to get the new one. TouchPad: still MIA unless we get a more definite release time frame than "summer" or "the coming months". And we still have to go through Spring with the iPad 2 gaining momentum all through that season.
    That is a huge advantage for Apple, and, Im sure HP is really trying to figure out how to deal with it.. perhaps its with modifying the TouchPad with whatever is possible in the small time they have left, or, figuring out out to make the cost VERY competitive, OR, finding a way to get it to market earlier...

Then, there is one final one: the HP guys can pray to every deity they know of that the iPad2 has a hidden fatal flaw and has to be recalled...

But, that would be evil.

(sorry, I just had to..)

For the record: I really like the TouchPad and the whole WebOS devicde concept that HP has come up with, especialy the Pre 3... I'm just stating the obvious... you have to recognize a top notch device when you see it, and the iPad 2 is certainly that, from all of the videos I have seen.

Just sayin...

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Taharka;

Personally, I like this type of interfacing:
    LOL! Wonderful how they didn't charge for 5 days indeed...yet the battery life test done running the video loop lasted 10.3 hours.
    The difference is comparing constant use vs. standby. It last forever on standby.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    That is a huge advantage for Apple, and, Im sure HP is really trying to figure out how to deal with it.. perhaps its with modifying the TouchPad with whatever is possible in the small time they have left, or, figuring out out to make the cost VERY competitive, OR, finding a way to get it to market earlier...

Then, there is one final one: the HP guys can pray to every deity they know of that the iPad2 has a hidden fatal flaw and has to be recalled...

But, that would be evil.

(sorry, I just had to..)

For the record: I really like the TouchPad and the whole WebOS devicde concept that HP has come up with, especialy the Pre 3... I'm just stating the obvious... you have to recognize a top notch device when you see it, and the iPad 2 is certainly that, from all of the videos I have seen.

Just sayin...
    LOL...pray that wasn't a hasty comment...wouldn't like to know they say you called it on Apple: Endgadget: It wasn't without issues -- in fact, we had some major, system-stalling crashes which required a reboot of the iPad. It's clear that there are bugs to be worked out,...
    Phone integration makes the Touchpad worth the wait...
    I love waiting to cards to load too!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I agree, totally, as I have seen that video, and it shows some of the WebOS GUI advantages for me.

It suits the way I work, to a "T", but, Im not the average user.

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I love waiting to cards to load too!
    Calm down - the OS was still in Alpha when that was done.

See my post above about speed and performance - I believe HP and Ruby probably know the bar they have to perform to, just to be able to compete.

Closer to 10.5 hours actually, but isn't there a difference between

"10+ hours of constant video for a test"

vs

"heavy use -- 3G and WiFi on, app testing (heavy work in GarageBand in particular), browsing, news reading, emailing, picture / video taking, and music listening" over 5 days?

Seems it was a separate test. I would assume they charged all devices up to 100% and then let them run videos until the battery died. It wouldn't be a fair test if it was done randomly during the 5 days of heavy use.

In our standard video test (running an MPEG4 video clip on loop, WiFi on, screen at roughly 65 percent brightness), the iPad 2 managed an astonishing 10 hours and 26 minutes of non-stop playback. That beats Apple's own claims, and bests its nearest competitor -- the Xoom -- by about 2 hours. That's another whole movie!
    Why are you mixing the two? The thing also had about a month of standby time. No matter how you look at it, the battery life is pretty impressive on this thing.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast